Menu

Mascara recommendations

Amethyst

Back in high school, way back, I remember doing one of those quizzes in Seventeen or Glamour or some magazine. I don’t remember what it was quizzing, but I remember one question very well…If you could only wear ONE makeup item, which of these would it be: lipstick, mascara, foundation, or blush?

For me, that’s a no-brainer…mascara all the way. 

But lately, I’ve not been very happy with my mascara. Is it my old eyelashes? My brand
that I probably have used since high school?(shout out to class of ‘79!) So, I’m looking for mascara suggestions.

Recommendations can be drug store brands, fancy-schmancy brands, or anything else. 

54 minutes ago, lmrich said:

Not an answer to your question but I have found using a masacra primer makes ALL the difference. 

I came here to say this, too. I tried so. Many. Brands from $5-50 and they all were meh and rubbed off after a few hours making me look like a dead raccoon.

the primer fixed that and now I can use most good and better mascaras.   Too faced is my go-to rn, but I also found a L’Oréal manga mascara that’s working.

Anyway, primer 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just wanted to jump in and add: for years I always wore "brownish black" mascara expecting that that color would look best on me. For some reason I decided to try ultra-black last week, and wow. My eyes looked cool.

These days I only do my top eyelashes. An influencer told me this little trick. 🙃

Also, I have followed this anchor out of Houston for a couple of years now. I highly recommend her, she's in her early 50s and goes into detail about everything hair, skin, lingerie, what she eats. She's really an open book. Dominique Sachse. I love that she talks about different price-points, and she doesn't accept free products.

• Like 1

This has been the year of mascara for me. I bought one of the holiday samplers from Target last year (6 tubes for $15!---they are offering these again this year, fwiw) and I've been trying a few more on my own. 

1. Are your eyes sensitive?

2. Do you wear contacts?

3. Do you need waterproof?

4. How important is wear time to you? 

16 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

If you’re looking for a drugstore brand, I’ve been pretty happy with L’Oreal Voluminous. 

I'm sampling this one currently, and I can't get it to come off at night with either an oil-free eye makeup remover or with micellar water. It does, however, rub off onto my face and my pillowcase after 12 hours of wear.

17 hours ago, Forget-Me-Not said:

If you’re looking for a drugstore brand, I’ve been pretty happy with L’Oreal Voluminous. 

This is what I have used for a long time. I also really like the white conditioner that you put on first....not sure if it really conditions but it helps with the coverage of  regular mascara.

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I'm sampling this one currently, and I can't get it to come off at night with either an oil-free eye makeup remover or with micellar water. It does, however, rub off onto my face and my pillowcase after 12 hours of wear.

Interesting. . .are you using the waterproof one? I just use the regular and it washes off when I wash my face at night. 

1 hour ago, prairiewindmomma said:

This has been the year of mascara for me. I bought one of the holiday samplers from Target last year (6 tubes for $15!---they are offering these again this year, fwiw) and I've been trying a few more on my own. 

2. Do you wear contacts?

Good questions! I would say that my eyes are not sensitive but my eyelids are. I rarely wear contacts so this is not an issue. I HATE waterproof mascara because I can't get it off. I would like mascara to last for a typical 8 hour work day, but I find that I don't usually have an issue with wear time - I still need to remove it at night.

2 hours ago, Alicia64 said:

Just wanted to jump in and add: for years I always wore "brownish black" mascara expecting that that color would look best on me. For some reason I decided to try ultra-black last week, and wow. My eyes looked cool.

I agree. About two years ago I switched from brownish black to black, and I now prefer the black. 

• Like 1

Ok, I bought the L'Oreal Voluminous today when I was out because it was the only one of these suggestions I could find. I have 3 other suggestions in my online Ulta shopping cart. The other one I'm interested in trying is Glossier. Can you buy that in a store, or only on their website? Because I can't get it through Ulta or Sephora website. Maybe somewhere in person? Not Target (I was there today). @MEmama @Moonhawk

Edited by Amethyst

2 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

2. Do you wear contacts?

Um..not the OP, but if you have suggestions for contact lens wearer who now has sensitive eyes and struggles to wear mascara anymore, I'm all ears!!!  I find my eyes by the end of the day are watery/irritated on days I wear eye make up. 

Wear time not an issue, don't care about waterproof. Due to contacts I never rub my eyes during the day, so smudging isn't really an issue. I just want my blonde eyelashes to be visible, and my eyes not to hurt. 

3 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

Um..not the OP, but if you have suggestions for contact lens wearer who now has sensitive eyes and struggles to wear mascara anymore, I'm all ears!!!  I find my eyes by the end of the day are watery/irritated on days I wear eye make up. 

Wear time not an issue, don't care about waterproof. Due to contacts I never rub my eyes during the day, so smudging isn't really an issue. I just want my blonde eyelashes to be visible, and my eyes not to hurt. 

That happened  to me.  I found I could no long wear contacts--this after 17 years of wearing them daily with zero issues.  That is when I had RK and then I had 20/20 vision for 20 years.

36 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

That happened  to me.  I found I could no long wear contacts--this after 17 years of wearing them daily with zero issues.  That is when I had RK and then I had 20/20 vision for 20 years.

I'm not a candidate for sx as my prescription doesn't stay stable long enough 😞

So I've given up mascara most of the time, rather than give up contacts. 

• Sad 2

On 11/14/2021 at 5:43 PM, Amethyst said:

Back in high school, way back, I remember doing one of those quizzes in Seventeen or Glamour or some magazine. I don’t remember what it was quizzing, but I remember one question very well…If you could only wear ONE makeup item, which of these would it be: lipstick, mascara, foundation, or blush?

For me, that’s a no-brainer…mascara all the way. 

But lately, I’ve not been very happy with my mascara. Is it my old eyelashes? My brand
that I probably have used since high school?(shout out to class of ‘79!) So, I’m looking for mascara suggestions.

Recommendations can be drug store brands, fancy-schmancy brands, or anything else. 

I'm mostly chiming in because I'm about the same age!  I remember how important blush was back then, and now I never wear it!  I had a blush gel stick back then.  I don't know anyone who wears blush anymore.  But blue mascara was very in back then!  Do you remember that?  Or maybe that was only at my high school.  🙂

I'm always looking for a natural looking mascara that doesn't really build it up, but just brightens the color.  Usually I choose brown-black because that feels more subtle to me.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Me too, after about 25 yrs of wearing them. It was like my eyes just suddenly wouldn’t put up with them anymore. I went for LASIK. 

Edited by Forget-Me-Not

22 hours ago, lmrich said:

Not an answer to your question but I have found using a masacra primer makes ALL the difference. 

Is there a particular one you are happy with or are they all pretty good?  I just got a new one but for the life of me I can't remember the brand.

2 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

Better Than Sex. The name is a bit much, but it is pretty amazing. It was recommended by a sales associate at Ulta, and it's all I use now. I have it in regular and waterproof. I get it at Ulta in the trial sizes. 

Thank you for reminding me of this one.  I had forgotten about it.  I used it many years ago but for some reason haven't bought it recently.  It was very good.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Good questions! I would say that my eyes are not sensitive but my eyelids are. I rarely wear contacts so this is not an issue. I HATE waterproof mascara because I can't get it off. I would like mascara to last for a typical 8 hour work day, but I find that I don't usually have an issue with wear time - I still need to remove it at night.

Try Glossier and Honest Beauty Extreme Length. Both are available on target.com for shipping if they aren’t there in person. I do find I get some mild irritation to the Honest Beauty occasionally, but that’s usually several hours of wear in and on days I have been outside—it may just be normal eye allergies and not makeup based.

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

I'm mostly chiming in because I'm about the same age!  I remember how important blush was back then, and now I never wear it!  I had a blush gel stick back then.  I don't know anyone who wears blush anymore.  But blue mascara was very in back then!  Do you remember that?  Or maybe that was only at my high school.  🙂

I DO remember blue mascara, but I was never a fan. I was never big on eye shadow either. Or disco. Lol

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Catwoman said:

I am seriously considering buying all of the mascaras. 

That is all. 

I recommend this approach. It made it easy to compare and choose what works best. I have gone through a mascara a month this year and it’s been helpful in sorting out what actually works.

ETA: photograph your face and type or write notes on the photo on your phone. You can side by side compare. I never thought it mattered—what mascara you wear—but it does.

Edited by prairiewindmomma

10 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I recommend this approach. It made it easy to compare and choose what works best. I have gone through a mascara a month this year and it’s been helpful in sorting out what actually works.

ETA: photograph your face and type or write notes on the photo on your phone. You can side by side compare. I never thought it mattered—what mascara you wear—but it does.

This is sort of what I intend to do…. wear a different one each day and take notes. But I love your idea of taking pics and adding notes right there! I’m going to do that! 

16 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Ok, I bought the L'Oreal Voluminous today when I was out because it was the only one of these suggestions I could find. I have 3 other suggestions in my online Ulta shopping cart. The other one I'm interested in trying is Glossier. Can you buy that in a store, or only on their website? Because I can't get it through Ulta or Sephora website. Maybe somewhere in person? Not Target (I was there today). @MEmama @Moonhawk

I bought the Glossier through their website. AFAIK it’s not available anywhere else.

I've been impressed by all their products I’ve tried. Their lipstick is dreamy, if you need an add on to get free shipping. 🙂 

Their products come in a cute pink bag, which I used this fall for our passports and vax cards while travelling. When we checked in to our hotel, the woman at the desk immediately spotted it and said (in her dreamy Irish accent) “Ooh you like Glossier, too! I use their bags for everything!” It was kind of funny. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I also use an eyelash serum at night. People think I am wearing fake eyelashes because my eyelashes are so long. I have used a few differernt brands off Amazon - whatever is cheapest and they have all had great results. I use it only two or three times a week and still have long and full lashes. The lashes are not dark so mascara is still needed. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MEmama said:

I bought the Glossier through their website. AFAIK it’s not available anywhere else.

I've been impressed by all their products I’ve tried. Their lipstick is dreamy, if you need an add on to get free shipping. 🙂 

Their products come in a cute pink bag, which I used this fall for our passports and vax cards while travelling. When we checked in to our hotel, the woman at the desk immediately spotted it and said (in her dreamy Irish accent) “Ooh you like Glossier, too! I use their bags for everything!” It was kind of funny. 🙂 

Also adding that Google has told me that Glossier has two sales a year: one in June and one for Black Friday. So in case that makes a difference to anyone, plus the free shipping strategy mentioned by @MEmama  

• Thanks 3