Menu

What are must have items to take to college?

Terabith

I'm looking at the Ikea Frakta storage bags and thinking we might need a couple of those.  A laundry bag?  Does my kid really need a tool kit?  They've pretty much never used tools at home.  I figure clothes for various seasons, coat/ hat/ gloves/ boots, rain coat and umbrella, hygiene supplies, a lamp, first aid kit, , extra set of sheets/ spare blankets and pillows.  A large microwavable bowl, a mug, a glass, a spoon and a fork.  What other stuff are must haves?

Is there a brand of air purifier that would be really good for a dorm room?

Edited by Terabith

Are there bunk beds? I bought my ds the coolest thing. It was a pouch that tied onto the head of the bunk bed that had multiple pouches. He could keep a water bottle in one, pens and notebook in one, tissues, and snacks. I don't know what all he used it for but he said it was one of the best dorm room items he had.

• Like 4

Dorm or apartment?

Dorms will come with a lamp, unless they want an extra near the bed. Be careful of sizing for sheets— those can vary.

DS is in an on campus apartment so it’s a bit different than a dorm (they cook all their own meals, for one). He uses one of those big blue IKEA bags for dirty laundry and a foldable IKEA cube he bought for folded clothes (or at least clean clothes, idk that they actually get folded lol). He wouldn’t have any use for a tool kit and students don’t really use umbrellas where he is (Ireland). If they are sharing a room, maybe coordinate with the roommate if you can. US dorm rooms tend to be tiny and there’s no sense duplicating.

We bought him an air purifier there, but any table top HEPA one should be good. I like ours from Medify, it’s extremely quiet.

A laundry bag takes less space than a basket, but I’d probably get one of those collapsible silicone side laundry baskets.

The only tool I can remember using was a hammer and maybe a Philips head screwdriver, on a computer. And extension cords.

• Like 1

I would focus on basics like towels, first aid/hygiene kit, chargers for devices -- things people need anywhere. Of course clothing for the climate. Once you know the living situation you will have a better idea. Every school I've seen puts out lists of what to bring, what size sheets to get, etc. 

If the living situation includes a fully supplied kitchen (some dorms have a full kitchen for the students' use), you may not need to buy any cooking stuff at all. Or, in a dorm you might have to rent the school's approved equipment for the semester/year. 

Both my kids had completely different living situations. One was in a dorm with zero cooking facilities; he and his roommate split the costs of the rental "microfridge" - microwave from home was not allowed. So he needed a few microwave safe things to cook oatmeal packs and ramen. The other kid was in a large apartment that did not include cooking stuff, so she and her roommates discussed everything ahead of time and decided what each would bring. 

Edited by marbel

Shower caddy, desk lamp, 2 towels, clothes suitable for the location, basic school supplies (highlighters, etc.), something that locks to hold anything valuable. Wait on sheets until you confirm size. I never needed tools.

Edited by Carolina Wren

My teen has found a small sewing kit to be very helpful. Not that my kid can sew well, but others in the dorm can, and someone seems to rip something an average of once a week. Apparently I was one of the only moms who thought to include one. Air purifier. The tool kit was helpful on move in, but I don’t know that it has been touched since. The box of health stuff I packed has only been used for bandaids so far. Extra menstrual supplies if that applies to your teen, especially if they use a cup, cloth pads, or other non-standard supplies that aren’t likely to be stocked at the campus store or just off campus CVS (my kid is at a school which does stock basics in the bathrooms, but that seems to be a Women’s college thing. At most, you’re lucky if there is a vending machine). And you can just assume that you’ll be driving to Target.Besides, it’s kind of fun to be in Target during dorm move in and hear all these newly minted roommates and suite mates discussing home furnishings. They sound both so grown up and so young at the same time. 

If your child’s school allows, but does not provide refrigerators, buy one early. I swear we got the last one in the Atlanta metro area last Fall, and that was via driving up to Alpharetta, which is one of the only suburbs WITHOUT a residential university. 

We set up Amazon (you can get a teen account linked to yours, where they can order directly, but you pay for it, and can set up with approval if needed), Instacart, and Uber/Uber Eats. Honestly, my teen has yet to need anything that hasn’t been available through one of those, except for a ticket home for fall break. 

I’ve been very pleased with Levoit air purifiers. They’re small, not too loud, and fairly powerful. We also ended up getting a dehumidifier which is also a HEPA purifier, so my teen’s room should have very well filtered air now. I don’t remember the brand, since it got ordered on Amazon and I’ve never physically seen it. 

Edited by Dmmetler
  • Thanks 1

Some place  to lock valuables. Dd used a small lockbox that she put in her closet, ds had a locking trunk. It’s essential to keep medications and other valuables locked up when the dc isn’t in the room, especially if roomie has friends over.  Sure, someone can grab the lockbox and take it, but it’s more obvious than just quietly slipping a pill bottle into a pocket.

Our dc didn’t need tools-the dorm always had a kit they could borrow by contacting the RA.

Edited by Annie G
  • Like 1

I think it depends on the way the dorm is set up.  We watched a lot of dorm videos and decided how shecwanted her bed (high, but not lofted), and if she wanted storage cubes and cubbies or a bedskirt (she chose bedskirt).  Once that was figured out, we worked on maximizing space and accessibility of items. 

Closet- Right now she has a closet with an over the door shoe holder on one side (inside) and a mirror on the other side (outside).  There was enough space to hang all her tops, jackets, dresses.  I bought a 50 pack of hangers and let her choose what went on them.  She also got a small cube thing to put in the bottom to hold extra stuff she needs.

Under the Bed- she put the drawers that come in the room where she stores jeans, pajamas, socks and undies.   She also decided to put her laundry baskets under there, so we got the taller rectangular ones and its perfect!  She may have a few off-season things, boxes, etc. Under there, but its mostly just the laundry baskets and the drawers.  

Desk Area- everything is small, so use wall space if possible.   I'd find out how much room was in each drawer, and only allowed enough to fit easily- you don't need 50 pencils, 40 pens, colored pens, etc.  This took some work but now she's glad I cut it all back 😉 She did get a desk lamp, but we tried to keep as much space cleared for her computer as possible.  

Other things- over the door coat rack, clothes drying rack- we took forever to pick, but like the one we got!  It lays against the wall or can be set up in an A shape.  Pin board and marker board.

Bedding- we made the headboard for like $10, get a good mattress topper and mattress encasement, XL sheets, and a blanket, plus pillows if she plans to sit there and do homework. 

Bathroom(if you are lucky enough to get a suite with space)- I found a nice makeup organizer thing that can sit on the counter, drawer liner if you have drawers,  small bins for bathroom essentials (she has a few wire shelves included), I also got an over the door towel rack at Target to hang wet towels on- this is important and if you don't have a bathroom you still need this for the dorm room!  Smelly towels- yuck!  Her roommate also got rugs and a shower curtain.   

IME most students take too much and many of the "must haves" are barely touched.  Much will depend on the student, dorm setup, and climate where the student is attending.  DS's school had microwaves and refrigerators in every dorm room; DD needed to have her own (or share with a roommate).  DSs school did not allow any 3M type of hooks or hangers, but he could use small nails;  DD could not use nails but could use 3M hooks.  DS didn't need a shower curtain:  DD did in one of her four years.  DS had long/doubl bed; DD had standard twin.  DD wanted coffee every morning; DS doesn't drink coffee--their two lists looked very different (and they attended schools within 45 minutes of each other).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Make sure the bags they pack in collapse so they can be stored under the bed.  Remember that space is limited.  Since most teens watch tv/movies on laptops or iPads, TVs can be left at home. 

Basic cleaning supplies.  They can vary depending on the dorm set up.  My dd’s dorm has a hall bathroom with a sink in each room.  She uses cleaning wipes to clean the sink/counter and a broom to sweep the floor.  Don’t forget things like handsoap and laundry detergent.  

I started buying the consumable things dd would need in May as I found them on sale.  That way she had what she needed to get started for the year.  Same for school supplies.

14 minutes ago, Bootsie said:

IME most students take too much and many of the "must haves" are barely touched.  

I agree!  Every time I see these "must have" lists, I think of the tiny square footage available in many dorms.  I say go as light as possible and plan to pick up things as needed once they move in.  

• Like 3

IKEA Frakta bags (with the zipper close) are nice, but I actually prefer the Dimpa: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/dimpa-storage-bag-clear-10056770/  The Dimpa is clear, so you can see what's inside easily when digging under your bed and it's got the perfect dimensions for storing heavy comforters or winter coats or the like. I also find that it folds down nicely. I own both the Frakta and the Dimpa, but the Dimpa are what we use for underbed storage.

I like the Levoit air purifier for small spaces. https://www.amazon.com/LEVOIT-Purifier-Home-Allergies-Pets/dp/B07VVK39F7/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1D5V616JQJ689&dchild=1&keywords=levity+air+purifier&qid=1635959627&sprefix=levity+%2Caps%2C164&sr=8-3  It kept up with the wildfire smoke we had in 2020. It air refreshes 5x an hour.  We also have a few Honeywells, but as we go to replace them or as we send kids off into the world, we're sending them with the Levoit.  My only advice is to buy the purifier replacement cartridges also from amazon. They are hard to find in stores. 

turkish towels: https://www.amazon.com/Cacala-Cotton-Pestemal-Turkish-Towel/dp/B00AINBQRK/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2EFTPC76NJCND&dchild=1&keywords=turkish+towels+cacala&qid=1635959854&s=home-garden&sprefix=turkish+towels+cacala%2Cgarden%2C173&sr=1-4   If you're in a humid climate at all (hot or cold), these are so thin that they dry quickly hanging on a hook.  They are also thin enough that they don't take up a ton of space in a laundry load--odds are they will be paying by the load for laundry, and that matters also.  There are tons of cute designs on amazon--but the Cacala brand ones are the ones I bought 5 years ago and they still look like new. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Definitely some kind of something for having things at hand's reach when in bed, if the bed will be a bunk &/or lofted very high. 

A lot of the other things, wait and see what dorm at what college. We had bought a lot of things, that ended up duplicating what was there already (one dorm for one son came with trash cans in the room, one for each side/student; one didn't, so buying that was a waste). Bowls, etc - will they have a place to clean the microwavable dishes, and will they do that? If not, consumables might be better.  Alternately, will they have friends over who also want a bowl of cereal or such? In that case, maybe they need 2 bowls. 

Pretty much what got actually used were the laundry bag, rainboots, "disposable" emergency ponchos (vs. umbrella and raincoat) for putting on over backpack to walk to/from class in the rain -- the boys each kept a 6 pack of those in their backpack pocket, so that if they got caught in the rain, just grab one, toss it on over, go.  They could hang these up to dry and restuff them to use again later vs. actually disposing of them, but really the easiest rain gear type solution we found. 

• Like 2

The IKEA bags were great for move in. The tool kit has not been touched so far. Surge protector strips and an Ethernet cable in case they are in a dorm with spotty wifi. Rain gear for sure. Maybe an electric kettle. Some card games - not a necessity, but they don't take up much room and are a good way to get to know people. 

• Like 2

I always encourage people to be minimalistic when it comes to college living, especially at first. It's hard though, because people getting excited about setting up the first adult living space, and I get that.

Sheets, towels, clothing are must-haves, then it is usually pretty easy to add items as it becomes clear that they are needed. The kids end up moving so frequently, and it's especially problematic to have a lot of stuff if you are not local. Summer storage can be a pain!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, GoodGrief3 said:

The kids end up moving so frequently, and it's especially problematic to have a lot of stuff if you are not local. Summer storage can be a pain!

We are finding this out the hard way with our youngest!  Our older kids were three hours away so it wasn't bad, but she is 1200 miles away and summer storage/moving is such a hassle/issue!  

Wipes for sanitizing doorknobs, countertops, etc.

Zicam, elderberry and other supplements to help prevent or knock out illnesses at the first sign of it.

Essential oil diffuser-if not to prevent sickness, then to help with stress. 

Other items to have on hand if your kid does get sick so he doesn't have to go shopping then:  cough drops, Top Ramen, tissues, Tylenol, thermometer, etc. 

Rice bag-for when they are sick or not. Especially nice to have in cold, damp weather.

Check to see if a shower curtain is needed, often it is not supplied.

Check the rules for appliances in the room. Some colleges do not allow cooking devices such as waffle makers, etc. except for microwaves or refrigerators. 

At least a few dishes and some silverware.