Menu

Am I expecting too much?

Carrie12345

My 18 yo is sick. Started last night, sore throat, vomiting, headache, and 101 fever.

My brain immediate thinks Covid, strep, flu, or random virus. Treatments exist for 2-3 out of 4. Let’s call the doctor and ask to be tested for all 3 of those.

The office doesn’t do Covid tests and won’t see her until results come back. And even then, only a virtual visit. So, no flu or strep meds (if needed) until at least Monday, which is too late for flu meds anyway, right?

So I go to schedule a Covid test, and several of our pharmacies stopped doing them. Nothing available until late morning tomorrow. We’re not in one of the worst states right now. Bad, but not Southern-level bad.

Is this just how it is now?

P.S. I have a rule for kids making their own medical appointments by 18, but she’s in bad shape, so Mommy’s handling it!

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 21

4 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

My 18 yo is sick. Started last night, sore throat, vomiting, headache, and 101 fever.

My brain immediate thinks Covid, strep, flu, or random virus. Treatments exist for 2-3 out of 4. Let’s call the doctor and ask to be tested for all 3 of those.

The office doesn’t do Covid tests and won’t see her until results come back. And even then, only a virtual visit. So, no flu or strep meds (if needed) until at least Monday, which is too late for flu meds anyway, right?

So I go to schedule a Covid test, and several of our pharmacies stopped doing them. Nothing available until late morning tomorrow. We’re not in one of the worst states right now. Bad, but not Southern-level bad.

P.S. I have a rule for kids making their own medical appointments by 18, but she’s in bad shape, so Mommy’s handling it!

Can you find any of the home tests?  

I would take 18 year old to urgent care.

Edited by Scarlett
  • Like 3

Your area doesn’t have any drive through testing still running? Can you get a home test and do that at least? And follow up tomorrow with PCR? It does seem problematic someone can’t get tested for the other things until after a Covid test if they also can’t get tested for Covid. 

4 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Yes.  My whole family came down with something that could very well have been Covid several weeks ago.  It was a 5 day wait to get testing appointments and they predicted another 4-5 days after that for results.  So, we did not get tested.  What's the point?

• Sad 8

Ugh, we should have drive through clinics where people can just get swabbed for all this junk and can get prescriptions sent through to a pharmacy easily if needed.  Ridiculous.  We're going backwards.  

I would make an appointment for my spouse if he felt cruddy.  I don't think there is anything wrong with helping a loved one who isn't feeling well.  Even if they are a legal adult!  ❤️  

I hope you can get her swabbed/tested, etc quickly and she feels better very soon!  

• Like 9

6 minutes ago, KSera said:

Your area doesn’t have any drive through testing still running? Can you get a home test and do that at least? And follow up tomorrow with PCR? It does seem problematic someone can’t get tested for the other things until after a Covid test if they also can’t get tested for Covid. 

Technically yes? CVS minute clinics. But not at as many as before. So I booked an appointment at one of the few still running.

• Like 2

No, not everywhere. CVS does drive through, but now a days it can be hard to get a same day appointment.  That ebbs and flows with the numbers. All the urgent cares around here do testing and I've always been able to get same day.  In your case, I'd buy some at-home tests to inform quarantine decisions, etc.

It is ridiculous.  I ran into this last year.  Doctor wouldn't see you if you had any possible symptom of Covid which pretty much encompassed symptoms for everything but they don't test and getting into anywhere to take a test was taking days. 

3 minutes ago, Katy said:

Call all the pharmacies in your area.  In ours the chain pharmacies have walk-in rapid tests.

Chain pharmacies here are backed up 4-5 days. 

I know it is hard to believe, but in many places testing is VERY hard to get in a timely manner. Or impossible. (note that Florida, with cases skyrocketing, DECREASED testing....there are reasons for this I can't help but think. States look better if no one can test.)

21 minutes ago, FuzzyCatz said:

I would make an appointment for my spouse if he felt cruddy.  I don't think there is anything wrong with helping a loved one who isn't feeling well.  Even if they are a legal adult!  ❤️  

I feel the same way.  Actually, I make almost all of DH's appointments or he would never be seen.  I don't mind at all.  

30 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I'm so sorry and hope she feels better soon.  Our libraries are giving away free rapid at-home covid tests but I don't know how accurate those are.  That is frustrating that she can't be seen and may have to suffer unnecessarily all weekend.  😞  

• Like 1

You can see here that as cases went up, and people were getting vocal about how bad things were, testing went DOWN 44%!!!! And this is NOT because people just were not wanting tests - testing sites are backed way up with hours long waits, days to get a test at say CVS or walgreens, urgent care running out of tests mid day, etc. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 12.34.44 PM.png

Edited by ktgrok
  • Sad 5

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m blown away. We have option of in-person or online meeting. And the last time one of my middle kids was sick, I asked for Covid and they requested I do the full panel. What is up with your doctor?!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

I’m blown away. We have option of in-person or online meeting. And the last time one of my middle kids was sick, I asked for Covid and they requested I do the full panel. What is up with your doctor?!

I’m convinced that everything sucks because of the lack of private practice MDs these days.

Anyway, home test was negative, so... still at square 1, basically. But now I have 3 tests on hand!

• Like 8

I feel your pain. It's so hard to get a COVID test appt. here. We can get tested at Walgreens, but appts. aren't easy to get. Or try for an appt. somewhere an hour away. And, really, driving an hour with 5 kids in the car (because DH is often OOT, and I wouldn't hire a sitter with someone sick) just seems like a lot.  Theroretically, both Walgreens and Walmart in our small town carry tests in store, but I've never actually seen them in stock, so they go fast. Also, I'd rather people were officially tested, so we have more accurate numbers, but here we are.

So, though our kids have been sick a handful of times, since *all of this* started, we've never had them tested. 

I can't fathom why every single county does not have a COVID testing site available at least one day a week at this point. And with numbers going up, it should be more often than that. 

2 minutes ago, barnwife said:

I feel your pain. It's so hard to get a COVID test appt. here. We can get tested at Walgreens, but appts. aren't easy to get. Or try for an appt. somewhere an hour away. And, really, driving an hour with 5 kids in the car (because DH is often OOT, and I wouldn't hire a sitter with someone sick) just seems like a lot.  Theroretically, both Walgreens and Walmart in our small town carry tests in store, but I've never actually seen them in stock, so they go fast. Also, I'd rather people were officially tested, so we have more accurate numbers, but here we are.

So, though our kids have been sick a handful of times, since *all of this* started, we've never had them tested. 

I can't fathom why every single county does not have a COVID testing site available at least one day a week at this point. And with numbers going up, it should be more often than that. 

We have two in my county, and some more that are city sponsored, there just still isn't enough - it's a huge county and with 20% positivity there is a huge demand. 

2 minutes ago, ktgrok said:

We have two in my county, and some more that are city sponsored, there just still isn't enough - it's a huge county and with 20% positivity there is a huge demand. 

I can count on one hand the number of county sponsored testing days there have been in my county since this pandemic began. Yes, I do live in a very rural county, but still. I also just saw the very first signs advertising free vax by the county. Now, they have been offering those for a while, but the "how to I acess them" info has been very poorly distributed. 

Between this and our church's complete reversal of COVID things, I just...can't anymore. I got told by a fellow church member that I was unreasonable for being angry that there are basically no longer any COVID restrictions (no one wears masks, no distancing, attendance dispensation lifted, etc...). I was very sorry, not sorry for being angry that our church, which claims to be supportive of families, is doing nothing to protect little ones, which are 5/7 of my household. 

Blah...thanks for letting me get that off-topic rant out!

• Like 4

So, the mystery is likely solved. DD’s boyfriend’s mom made him get a strep test, which came back positive.

I think urgent care will take her if I just tell them that, and hopefully get meds started.

And maybe she’ll quit rolling her eyes at me after these past ~24hrs! 😛 

• Like 14

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

So, the mystery is likely solved. DD’s boyfriend’s mom made him get a strep test, which came back positive.

I think urgent care will take her if I just tell them that, and hopefully get meds started.

Now you are expecting too much. :)

• Haha 9

2 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I'm so glad you know now and hope she can be treated ASAP!  

3 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

oh good! Strep is awful but at least there is a treatment for it!!! And her symptoms are classic strep!

• Like 2

Both happy and frustrated. Strep positive, as expected, but the poor girl waited an hour and then got rushed back when she wound up puking all over the floor.

And then CVS’s system said her prescription would be ready 10 minutes after we got to *that area, so we waited. And then I went in and stood in line for what felt like 10 minutes only for them to say it’d be another 30. But dd was miserable, so I took her home and now dh has to drive 15 minutes each way to get her prescription so she can finally take it!

Don’t get hurt or sick with anything. I’m about to construct individual bubbles for everyone I love. Strep has never taken up an entire day of my life before.

• Sad 7

7 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Not sure where you are, but we have tons of places to go for testing. Any CVS or Walgreens, plus doctors offices, clinics, etc. Surprised to hear it's hard wherever you are. Several colleges near us are requiring testing prior to moving in and it was still pretty easy to find openings. Hope you find something soon. And hope your D feels better soon!

1 hour ago, Carrie12345 said:

Both happy and frustrated. Strep positive, as expected, but the poor girl waited an hour and then got rushed back when she wound up puking all over the floor.

And then CVS’s system said her prescription would be ready 10 minutes after we got to *that area, so we waited. And then I went in and stood in line for what felt like 10 minutes only for them to say it’d be another 30. But dd was miserable, so I took her home and now dh has to drive 15 minutes each way to get her prescription so she can finally take it!

Don’t get hurt or sick with anything. I’m about to construct individual bubbles for everyone I love. Strep has never taken up an entire day of my life before.

Get yourself and the rest of the family tested too. We had a year where we had round-robin whack-a-mole strep. We'd treat, then it would pop back up. Turned out we had asymptomatic people who were reinfecting others. Now when one family member gets it, everyone gets tested. Dh was the worst offender (he's not a chronic carrier, but apparently when he gets it he's usually asymptomatic).

We have testing open daily nearby for symptomatic people. Not drive through, but that's not really a thing in Scotland.  Park at the kerb and walk in. Asymptomatic people can pick up free home tests at the same location or have them mailed for free.

I hope she feels better soon.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

Strep and bronchitis are both making the rounds in my area.  Lots of college kids just moved in as well, so it will be worse within the next few weeks.

56 minutes ago, Junie said:

@Carrie12345 I hope your daughter is starting to feel better today.

Thanks! She was already feeling much better this morning, except for being convinced she might choke to death on the giant antibiotic pills. (Which, for the record, STILL weren’t ready when dh finally got his butt back down there, at least an hour later than the 30 more minutes they quoted.)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

Thanks! She was already feeling much better this morning, except for being convinced she might choke to death on the giant antibiotic pills. (Which, for the record, STILL weren’t ready when dh finally got his butt back down there, at least an hour later than the 30 more minutes they quoted.)

My kids hate swallowing pills and usually (still) choose the liquid.

I'm glad she's feeling better already!