Menu

Best socks

Garga

Does anyone have a brand of socks that they love?

My son has hated all the socks I’ve gotten for him recently. Either they’re too tight around the ankle or they don’t soak up sweat, so he feels like he has wet feet all day.

I don’t even know the brands I bought for him. They’re just whatever I find at Walmart, so probably Hanes or something like that.

He wants black crew socks that don’t make him sweat and don’t cut into his skin around the ankle. He’s skinny, so I was suprised by how tight some of the socks are for men. 

Any suggestions? I looked ever-so-briefly at bombas socks and the black socks are $15 a pair. If I want 7 pairs of socks, that’s $105! For a weeks worth of socks!! 

So…I’m not buying Bombas socks. Does anyone have suggestions for normal socks that aren’t sweaty and tight?

Edited by Garga

I think you could try going from Hanes to Fruit of the Loom.  Or go from what you get at Wal-Mart to Target or Kohl’s.  If that is good enough — it’s just a little more than Wal-Mart compared to the more expensive socks.  

• Like 1

This reminds me that I need to order socks.

I can't stand socks that are tight around my legs!  And it's practically impossible to find socks I like!

Here are the best ones I've found so far.  It says "women's," but who is going to know or care?  Maybe they have the equivalent for men.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SGN9A2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

The Sock Mafia makes it impossible to judge socks before buying and wearing them. You just have to buy pair after pair, and then buy more really fast if you find some that you like - because they will be completely different by next year. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Mine was/is  an ice skater and runner so socks were/are (no longer competing so less critical, but still one doesn’t want sores even if it’s now just recreational) very important... you might try an athletic store where he can try some different types and see what is most comfortable/ least uncomfortable...  

perhaps he does not actually want crew socks even though he thinks he does.  Higher or lower may cause less ankle trouble. 

for skating my son either was barefoot in his skates or used thin dress socks higher than crew height that were not tight on ankles

for running he sometimes used Adidas or NB low cut socks or they got Brooks gear as the team outfitter or I would get multipacks of appropriate seeming socks TSLA, Under Armor, New Balance, etc

for regular use (and sometimes running) he often uses TSLA company crew socks available at Amazon 

Edited by Pen

TSLA 6 Pairs Men and Women Athletic Short Crew Socks, Cotton Blend Cushion Quarter Socks, Sport Running Socks https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KRX6KMX/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_SN2RH1R082GPGZB7SV8B

there are many heights in socks to be aware of  some may be more comfortable than other s for him

these are tall enough to keep the top of the shoe from rubbing yet short enough not to be tight on the leg

Edited by Pen

Depending on your climate, you may consider trying wool or wool blend, even in summer - they are a bit pricey (okay, the high end ones are ridiculous, but the lower "store brand" ones from Bass Pro / L L Bean / etc can be $5-6 a pair), but they do last a VERY long time and help with odor. Some men in my life wear them year round here.

My leg & foot brace kiddo wears men's black tube socks from Walmart that have no heel, and have some sort of wicking anti-odor thing in them. The braces destroy socks, so these are the less-expensive option for him. (I can look up the brand next time I go, if it would be helpful? I can't remember, but will know them when I see them, ha.)

The BEST socks in the world are Darn Tough, and those vary quite a bit in their tight-ness - I've had pairs that were way too tight before, but most of them are perfect. Farm to Feet makes similar socks, and also SmartWool - we buy the "irregular" ones often at our outlet, and have never had a problem with them. They're $6-8 each, but - they do last a long time, and . . . you can build the collection over time and receive some as gifts . . . and then if you're comfortable you can turn the heat down a bit . . . and you sleep better . . . and . . . (how am I doing justifying pricey socks?) . . . well, an Amazing Sock Collection is just one of life's finest pleasures, especially if you live up north. ❤️ Haha! 

We love smart wool socks in cooler weather.   But they are fairly expensive.

My son has the best luck with gold toe for relatively inexpensive men's crew socks if you haven't tried those.  We hate the hanes and fruit of the loom varieties generally.

What weather? Which type of shoe? 

I wear wool only in winter and when hiking. I usually buy the Kirkland (Costco) wool socks which are equivalent to Darn Tough, in my hiking experience.

When running, I only wear synthetic socks. Bombas is a wool/polyester/nylon/spandex blend which is lovely.

Stance makes really awesome prints of dress socks.

I have a kid who lives in Nike cotton socks, but they last 12 months only. That’s ok, they are also at that price point where I expect that.

Smartwool

We like the L.L. Bean lightweight hiking socks for adults.  In the summer they're just right, and they last forever.  They're a smart wool blend, pretty thin, but aren't too tight or sweaty.

For working outside, though, we all tend to wear white UnderArmour socks.  Similar feel, not wool though, and ours are white and tall to help to repel insects.  They make shorter ones, and in black, but a 6 pack is only about $20.

DD loves her bamboo socks we got from Amazon.

DS and I like the mens black cotton And1 socks from Walmart, although I wear smartwool in the winter.

DH loves his gold toe, also from Amazon, and has them in long for winter and short for summer.

They all seems to be lasting a good long time.