Menu

Poll: Moderna only - side effects from Covid Vaccine

ktgrok

MODERNA side effects poll - answer only for yourself  

63 members have voted

1. 1. If you had Moderna - what was your reaction to the FIRST dose?

• No side effects
    • sore arm
    • headache
    • dizzy/light headed
    • fever less than 101 F
    • fever over 101F
    • chills
    • nausea
    • diarrhea
    • rash at injection site
    • rash elsewhere
    • aches/pains (generalized - other than injection site)
    • fatigue
    • brain fog
    • menstrual irregularities (early/late bleeding/mid cycle spotting, etc)
    • Side effects strong enough to interfere with normal activity lasted less than 24 hours
    • Side effects strong enough to interfere with normal activity lasted 24-48 hours.
    • Side effects strong enough to interfere with normal activity lasted 48-72 hours.
    • Side effects strong enough to interfere with normal activity laster more than 72 hours.
    • I had only mild side effects that did not interfere with my normal activity.
  2. 2. If you had Moderna, what was your reaction to your second dose?

• No side effects
    • sore arm
    • headache
    • dizzy/light headed
    • fever less than 101 F
    • fever over 101F
    • chills
    • nausea
    • diarrhea
    • rash at injection site
    • rash elsewhere
    • aches/pains (generalized - other than injection site)
    • fatigue
    • brain fog
    • menstrual irregularities (early/late bleeding/mid cycle spotting, etc)
    • Side effects strong enough to interfere with normal activity lasted less than 24 hours
    • Side effects strong enough to interfere with normal activity lasted 24-48 hours.
    • Side effects strong enough to interfere with normal activity lasted 48-72 hours
    • side effects strong enough to interfere with normal activity lasted more than 72 hours.
    • I had only mild side effects that did not interfere with my normal activity.
  3. 3. I had the Moderna vaccine, and my side effects were worse:

• After my first dose - and I have had, or think I probably had, a previous Covid infection
    • After first dose - and I have not had a previous Covid infection (to the best of my knowledge)
    • After second dose - and I have had, or think I probably had, a previous Covid infection
    • After second dose - and I have not had a previous Covid infection (to the best of my knowledge)
    • Same with both.

I'm surprised to see the sore arm numbers so low.  I don't know anyone who was miserable from their arm, but everyone I know, even the people who had no other symptoms reported their arm was at least a little sore.  

I had to guess on the temperature, I had chills and figure I probably had one, but I didn't get out the thermometer. 

• Like 1

My husband had Moderna -- his arm was sore after the first dose, and he was tired and took a 90-minute nap the day after his second shot.  My mom and step-dad also had Moderna -- my mom had no side effects.  My step-dad had a sore arm after the first dose.  

Edit:  I didn’t take the poll 🙂

Edited by Lecka

Biggest side effect of getting the Moderna vaccine? An overwhelming sense of liberation and gratitude. Really. No kidding.

I can't think of anything in my life that has scared me before. The prospect of getting Covid terrified me. Was not at all sure I do well. The "little voice" inside me said, "don't get this virus." And keep your family safe.

As to the minor other side effects:

First shot. I felt a strange sensation in my arm almost immediately. So quickly, in fact, that I thought it had to be a psychosomatic response. However, that initial response persisted and grew into a dull arm ache that lasted a day or so. Quite minor.

Second shot. No initial response. Late in the day a somewhat tender arm. But fitful sleep and woke up the next day with a doozy of a headache and felt crummy. Large quantities of coffee and lots of hydration took the edge off. No chills or fever. Would have been a "blah day" if I wasn't so completely jazzed about the pending immunity.

All better by the next day.

After 13 months in lowdown, I'm feeling free. So worth it!!!

Bill

Edited by Spy Car
  • Like 5

Last year I flew twice in late February. After returning home, I came down with something nasty. Covid? I think it's likely. My second flight was filled with people returning from a conference. So I was really nervous about receiving my second dose of the vaccine after reading what people who had previously had Covid experienced. The first day I was okay-ish. Sore arm, some fatigue and a general feeling of being unwell. I thought I had skated through with mild side effects and I was hugely relieved. However, the second day was much more severe and I spent most of it in bed. The third day was much better and by the fourth it was essentially over. I'm still glad I went through with it especially since I don't know for sure if I had Covid last year or not.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, purpleowl said:

For the last question I chose that the side effects were worse after first dose / no prior covid infection, but in truth they were basically the same - just sore arm. I *think* it lasted longer with the first one though.

This is mine.

About the same.

• Like 1

I had a sore arm for the second. I didn't check off sore arm for the first. I did, but it was even less than a flu shot, like barely felt it. 

I had "covid arm" 8 days after the first shot, which was weird, but didn't hurt. 

Second shot, my arm hurt like someone stabbed me in the arm bone and I was a little tired the next day. I would have been fine working, but we had a snow day, so I enjoyed a day to do nothing. Overall, not terrible!

The rash in other places part -- about 4 or 5 days after, my face got red and itchy. Very itchy. (after the 1st dose) And a big red spot on my arm around the injection site. But both of those were not right away, showed up later. Both are known/easily google-able things that when I looked it up, showed up. (I reported to V-safe also, and did not get a call back or anything). 

Second time was much better on arm pain and no rash either place. Fatigue was about 30 hours. 

Aches and fatigue on dose 2, for about 24 hours.

At this point all of the people 16+ in the my-side-of-the-family extended family Zoom group have had at least 1 dose. I'd estimate 1/3 have gotten Moderna and 2/3 Pfizer.  Of these, only one cousin has had a confirmed prior case, and one other plus me had a weird unexplained flu-y thing back in Jan or Feb 2020 (but I had an antibody test 12 months later which came back negative, so I've discounted it as possibly having been COVID, but of course there's some possibility that I had it and the antibodies wore off by 12 months.  My husband believes I did have it -- I'd spent 12+ hours in an unexpectedly long layover in San Francisco 4 days before coming down with it, and was pretty sick. But no antibodies a year later.)

Two patterns seem to be holding in our family group: More effects on second dose; and more Moderna effects that Pfizer. But sample size is small (~35).

On husband's side, 4 people had J&J - no effects but sore arm.

19 hours ago, HeartString said:

Right at 12 hours after my 2nd dose and I’m feeling kind of achy.  I could power through if I needed to do it’s not that bad.  I’ve taken kids to soccer practice while feeling worse.  

Quoting myself-  it got worse throughout the night.  Was very sore and achy from hour 12-24 after getting the shot.  From 24 hours onward I’ve been a little achy and weak, like when you’re on the mend from the flu.  

10 minutes ago, HeartString said:

Quoting myself-  it got worse throughout the night.  Was very sore and achy from hour 12-24 after getting the shot.  From 24 hours onward I’ve been a little achy and weak, like when you’re on the mend from the flu.  

That's about the timeline I had with my 2nd dose - around 12-24 hours post-shot were the worst with fatigue, mild body aches, bad headache and neck ache, dizziness, and it was hard to focus.  I slept a lot and gradually improved after about 24 hours. 

DH just got his 2nd Moderna 7 hours ago and is starting to feel chilled, but it's cold and damp today.  We are expecting a bad reaction since he always has serious reactions to vaccines but hoping we're wrong.

Bumping. As of right now, it looks like sore arm is very prevalent 43/49 for 1st shot & 41/49 for second shot. Similar results for Pfizer (76/89, 73/89).

Almost all Moderna recipients had at least one side effect vs. 6-12% of the Pfizer recipients reporting no side effects for thev1st or 2nd shots.

Next most common side effects for first shot were fatigue & headache. For second shots, fatigue, fever, headache, and chills were felt by 1/3 - 2/3rds of recipients. Just over half of recipients reported their second shot side effects were enough to interfere with normal activities for at least a bit(vs. less than 40% of Pfizer on 2nd shot).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RootAnn said:

Bumping. As of right now, it looks like sore arm is very prevalent 43/49 for 1st shot & 41/49 for second shot. Similar results for Pfizer (76/89, 73/89).

Almost all Moderna recipients had at least one side effect vs. 6-12% of the Pfizer recipients reporting no side effects for thev1st or 2nd shots.

Next most common side effects for first shot were fatigue & headache. For second shots, fatigue, fever, headache, and chills were felt by 1/3 - 2/3rds of recipients. Just over half of recipients reported their second shot side effects were enough to interfere with normal activities for at least a bit(vs. less than 40% of Pfizer on 2nd shot).

I've been noticing this too.  Dd is the only one left in our family who hasn't been vaccinated and I'm hoping she can get Pfizer based on these (and other) findings.  She tends to have pretty strong reactions to vaccines.

Ds2 got his 2nd Moderna on Tuesday morning.  He had chills and aches that night and felt better until the Advil wore off.  He alternated between hot/cold the next morning and took Advil and has felt fine since then.  

Ds3 gets his 2nd Moderna tomorrow and then we have 7/8 of us done!  I can't believe it.

• Like 1

It was awful after the first shot.  I was in so much pain from my shoulder to elbow, and there was what felt like a flat, hard disc in my arm, a little larger than a silver dollar, at the injection site for over a week that was incredibly painful to the touch.  Also some major fatigue and joint pain all over my body for 4-5 days.

The second was so much better.  Sore arm, tired out, but no big deal.

I do think it is likely that I had coronavirus early on.

Edited by Condessa