Menu

Calling Dr Moms... baby is sick

Jann in TX

DH and I are raising our GS (16 month old grand son) with a bit of help from his mom who also lives with us (she is disabled due to seizure disorder--having multiple non-epileptic seizures every day).

This is the first time GS has been ill (other than mild teething stuff).

He is running a 102.4 F fever --3 hours after Tylenol... he also vomited a lot last night.  He is also having muscle spasms (most likely due to fever)--they only last a few seconds at a time.

He has slept a little-- but wakes up screaming about every 2 hours.

--

DH, DD and I are fully vaccinated against Covid.

DH and DD did take GS to a petting zoo this past weekend so he was exposed to other children for the first time in forever (not my idea...).  They said he did not touch other children or the animals and they washed his hands frequently...

DH is trying to put a call into GS's last Dr...  currently GS is without insurance because his mom cannot work, we cannot claim him, his birth dad doesn't have insurance, CHIPS in Texas will not take him... so frustrating!!!  (DD's seizure disorder prohibits her from driving and working but she does not officially qualify for disability because her condition is 'black listed')... did I say FRUSTRATING!!!

Anyways-- what is the current protocol for ill toddlers?

• Sad 5

I would call the pediatrician, or if baby doesn’t have one - I’d call both the last one he saw (it can’t have been that long?) or I might ask around for a recommendation quickly or call an urgent care.  Our area has two urgent cares that are only for kids, so the regular urgent care might be able to refer you.

I hope he feels better soon!

There is a bad puke bug going around here, so I'd give him pedialyte and watch to see if he gets worse.  I don't get worried until fever is closer to 104.  Sleep, fluids, and I'd give Motrin or Advil next time.  If he us seizing or gets dehydrated,  then take him in.  

• Like 2

You probably know this from DD's condition, but "true"seizures in babies can look like brief muscle spasms or even "different" facial expressions.  Febrile convulsions (non-dangerous) are usually a function of how fast the fever spikes, not how high it goes and they look like full-on convulsive seizures.  Gently, even though I'm usually a fever-is-your-friend kind of mom, I would consider taking him to the ER for possible seizure activity.  

Edited by Harpymom
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’d take him to a pediatrician or urgent care. Maybe even a children’s hospital emergency room if you can’t get into either. They may say to watch for signs of dehydration only, but the spasms could be many things, including seizures. I’d want a physician (not a nurse practitioner or PA) to do a neurological exam, especially with mom’s medical history. Seizures can be very dangerous in young children. 

• Like 7

Strep throat can cause vomiting and screaming and fever and at least in my area it  is really going around. I'd maybe call the health department and see if there are any clinics you can take him to that won't require insurance that are reasonable cost. They would know. Otherwise, many urgent care facilities will see you without insurance, and can tell you the exam fee ahead of time I think. 

• Like 2

I am sorry about the mess with getting medical insurance.

How are you taking the temperature?  Rectally?  Using a forehead thermometer?

Have you been able to give him Pedialyte or juice or anything?  And if so, has he been able to keep it down?

1 hour ago, Jann in TX said:

DH and I are raising our GS (16 month old grand son) with a bit of help from his mom who also lives with us (she is disabled due to seizure disorder--having multiple non-epileptic seizures every day).

This is the first time GS has been ill (other than mild teething stuff).

He is running a 102.4 F fever --3 hours after Tylenol... he also vomited a lot last night.  He is also having muscle spasms (most likely due to fever)--they only last a few seconds at a time.

He has slept a little-- but wakes up screaming about every 2 hours.

--

DH, DD and I are fully vaccinated against Covid.

DH and DD did take GS to a petting zoo this past weekend so he was exposed to other children for the first time in forever (not my idea...).  They said he did not touch other children or the animals and they washed his hands frequently...

DH is trying to put a call into GS's last Dr...  currently GS is without insurance because his mom cannot work, we cannot claim him, his birth dad doesn't have insurance, CHIPS in Texas will not take him... so frustrating!!!  (DD's seizure disorder prohibits her from driving and working but she does not officially qualify for disability because her condition is 'black listed')... did I say FRUSTRATING!!!

Anyways-- what is the current protocol for ill toddlers?

How can she be black listed for disability if she can't work due to seizures?!

• Like 1

Presumably seizures don't legally constitute a disability in this sense even if they are profoundly disabling.

You have to remember that benefits programs in the US aren't generally designed to help people - they're designed to punish people for having the audacity to need help. This is as true for those who can't work due to disability as anything else, and so as many people are excluded as possible.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Any improvement? I'd say you have to get the fever down and pump him with Pedialyte. And if you can't, unfortunately, urgent care - hopefully one with a clear fee set up - is probably your best option and necessary.

And yeah, disability and health care in America are... the absolute pits.

I would be pushing pedialyte and dosing with ibuprofen to see if you can bring the fever down. 

Walgreens doesn’t take pediatric patients, but there are pediatric clinics in your area. I would call and get pricing for walkin without insurance: the pediatric standalone ER in your area is crazy expensive—like 2k/visit, but there are others that are more reasonable. It should be $200ish; roughly the same as a dr visit without insurance. He may need a strep check and his ears checked for an infection. My kids puke with both—the fact that he is fussy makes me wonder.

• Like 1

Seizures do constitute disability if you can’t work for more than 3 years, but the 3 years have to pass first and if you’re in your 20’s you’re going to be automatically denied in the USA unless you’re so profoundly disabled you’re hospitalized or in a nursing home. It can take up to 3 years of legal appeals to qualify. One of my kids bio-mothers was on social security with it. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Katy said:

Seizures do constitute disability if you can’t work for more than 3 years, but the 3 years have to pass first and if you’re in your 20’s you’re going to be automatically denied in the USA unless you’re so profoundly disabled you’re hospitalized or in a nursing home. It can take up to 3 years of legal appeals to qualify. One of my kids bio-mothers was on social security with it. 

Yes--bummer...

OH she also needs to make $18,000+ this year or she will not be able to have health insurance ANYWHERE.  She would love to work but can barely take care of her own needs (DH and I are raising the baby!).  Even online work is not possible when her seizures can put her 'out of it' for hours at a time...

She typically has 4-6 seizures a day-- many of them violent (where she hits head or something).

I'd be DELIGHTED if her seizures were to suddenly stop.... chances are extremely low....

2 more years to wait and pray-- in the mean time no insurance for her OR her baby!

USA -- dont' get me started.

• Sad 3

1 minute ago, Jann in TX said:

Yes--bummer...

OH she also needs to make $18,000+ this year or she will not be able to have health insurance ANYWHERE.  She would love to work but can barely take care of her own needs (DH and I are raising the baby!).  Even online work is not possible when her seizures can put her 'out of it' for hours at a time...

She typically has 4-6 seizures a day-- many of them violent (where she hits head or something).

I'd be DELIGHTED if her seizures were to suddenly stop.... chances are extremely low....

2 more years to wait and pray-- in the mean time no insurance for her OR her baby!

USA -- dont' get me started.

Texas doesn’t have automatic medicaid for the baby??  I thought that was a federal requirement. 

• Like 1

Baby on way to his old Dr about an hour away... going to be a $$$$ visit...  DH and I will need to absorb it.

His fever holding at 101 F AFTER meds (alternating Motrin and Tylenol). 

No way DD will let us take custody... going to birth dad and his wife is less than ideal and is not going to happen.

• Like 2

Just now, Jann in TX said:

Baby on way to his old Dr about an hour away... going to be a $$$$ visit...  DH and I will need to absorb it.

No way DD will let us take custody... going to birth dad and his wife is less than ideal and is not going to happen.

https://hhs.texas.gov/services/health/medicaid-chip/programs-services/children-families/childrens-medicaid-chip

1 minute ago, Katy said:

Texas doesn’t have automatic medicaid for the baby??  I thought that was a federal requirement. 

We have applied several times-- and were just denied again...

You can be child of illegal immigrant and have insurance--you cannot be child of person medically unable to work...

• Sad 2

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

It does seem he should qualify for children's medicaid, if mom is not making money. 

I wish it worked that way... dd must make a minimum of $18000 this year in order for her to maintain HER insurance... that is not going to happen-- so she will be uninsured-- and racking up tax penalties!!!! as of December 31.

The 'exchange' has denied baby coverage even though mom has it (DH and I pay her premium)--baby had it for part of last year then it was canceled Jan 1. 

DD will not qualify for medicaid for another TWO YEARS....DH and I cannot afford to pay her medical care/ medications for that period.

This is just not right.

• Sad 2

Just now, Jann in TX said:

I wish it worked that way... dd must make a minimum of $18000 this year in order for her to maintain HER insurance... that is not going to happen-- so she will be uninsured-- and racking up tax penalties!!!! as of December 31.

The 'exchange' has denied baby coverage even though mom has it (DH and I pay her premium)--baby had it for part of last year then it was canceled Jan 1. 

DD will not qualify for medicaid for another TWO YEARS....DH and I cannot afford to pay her medical care/ medications for that period.

This is just not right.

I don't think mom has to be on medicaid for the baby to be on medicaid, maybe I'm wrong? 

CHIP is for income levels over medicaid levels. 

I also hate that some states didn't expand medicaid like they were supposed to - mine didn't either so you get the gap she is in...too little money for the exhange but doesn't fit in medicaid either. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ktgrok said:

I don't think mom has to be on medicaid for the baby to be on medicaid, maybe I'm wrong? 

CHIP is for income levels over medicaid levels. 

I also hate that some states didn't expand medicaid like they were supposed to - mine didn't either so you get the gap she is in...too little money for the exhange but doesn't fit in medicaid either. 

Technically someone is supposed to be able to insure baby-- CHIP says exchange and exchange says CHIP... we feel like a ping pong ball!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

CHIP denied us 3 times so far.

Does this have something to do with paternal obligations requirements?  They want a known dad involved before they put up....it was always my understanding that the state takes it upon themselves to go after dads first when single mom’s seek services.

Edited by Sdel

24 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

Would she be willing to sign over guardianship so that you'd be able to get him covered based on your financial info? Or can you petition for it since you're raising the baby and she isn't well? If Dad has insurance, he can be forced to cover him too.

Edited by hippymamato3
  • Like 1

Is there any support arrangement  in place with the bio father?  It might be worth getting it in writing that bio dad provides health insurance.  That’s not unusual at all, and many court ordered arrangements specify health insurance.

Edited by Spryte

16 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Is there any support arrangement  in place with the bio father?  It might be worth getting it in writing that bio dad provides health insurance.  That’s not unusual at all, and many court ordered arrangements specify health insurance.

He probably can't afford it.  Court ordering that hardship if he can't afford it won't help matters.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Jann in TX said:

Technically someone is supposed to be able to insure baby-- CHIP says exchange and exchange says CHIP... we feel like a ping pong ball!

In this case, try calling your senator. It’s amazing how fast a call from even an intern in a Senate office can straighten something like this out. 

• Like 6

27 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

He probably can't afford it.  Court ordering that hardship if he can't afford it won't help matters.

Good point.  But I thought possibly worth a shot.

We always paid for DSS, that I recall, but not everyone can afford it.

I was trying to think of a way baby could be on someone’s policy.

27 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Good point.  But I thought possibly worth a shot.

We always paid for DSS, that I recall, but not everyone can afford it.

I was trying to think of a way baby could be on someone’s policy.

I know.  I think @Jann in TX has addressed it before...the child's dad can't afford or doesn't have access to insurance.  I hope she will keep trying for medicaid.  There has to be some way to care for this child.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jann in TX said:

This is just not right.

Texas hates poor people. I'm not kidding.

Any chance you can move to a friendlier state?

• Like 2

Also hoping the baby is okay. Poor you. I have this rage about medical things and my mother had it and it did a number on me mentally growing up and I hate it for all of us.

I am wondering if you need a social worker to get involved. I also think this is the sort of situation that local politicians are for. Like, if you can't get a social worker, I would turn into a thorn in the side of your state representative.

• Like 5

Just saw this post, and hope your gss is getting the help he needs!  I was thinking about the disability aspect, and how awful that is.  Your dd (and and her ds) shouldn't be falling through the cracks like that.  I did a quick search, and read that if seizures are uncontrolled even while on meds and under a doctor's treatment, it would qualify as a blue-book listing in three months.  I wonder if you can try and apply again for your dd?  Something seems off, like doctors aren't doing their job in helping present her case or something.   I'm so very, very sorry for your situation.  I agree that if you could get a state senator to step in and help, it could make a difference!  

Edited by J-rap

1 minute ago, J-rap said:

Just saw this post, and hope your gss is getting the help he needs!  I was thinking about the disability aspect, and how awful that is.  Your dd shouldn't be falling through the cracks like that.  I did a quick search, and read that if seizures are uncontrolled even while on meds and under a doctor's treatment, it would qualify as a blue-book listing in three months.  I wonder if you can try and apply again for your dd?  Something seems off, like doctors aren't doing their job in helping present her case or something.   I'm so very, very sorry for your situation.  I agree that if you could get a state senator to step in and help, it could make a difference!  

The problem is that epilepsy is coverable but non epileptic seizures are not.  

• Like 1

I'm late to this thread, but to answer your question about how to deal with throwing up and fevers. I am sorry about this terrible situation that you have with getting health care for your grandbaby. Unless it is super critical like ER, I would suggest the clinics like at CVS or Walmart if you have to pay out of pocket as it will be a lot less expensive.

Throwing up:

Rehydrate using pedilyte (I keep pedilyte powder sleeves in my medicine cabinet for this as there is a longer shelf life.). Give 10 ml every 15 minutes for 2 hours. IF he keeps that down, you can slowly increase the amount slowly working your way up to the amount he usually will drink in a sitting. If no throwing up for 8 hours, that when you can start up solids slowly with BRAT foods. Then ease back into regular foods if vomiting has ceased for 24 hours. 

Fevers:
The advice now is not to give fever reducing medications even if a fever goes as high as 104. Meds are given if the child to help them feel more comfortable. So if they have a fever and are otherwise behaving normally, you are supposed to let the fever run its course as it is the body's immune system response to fighting an infection. We know now that reducing fevers reduces the immune response and lengthens the course of the illness.

That being said, pain relivers have their place to treat discomfort, pain, etc. If you give it you can give tylenol or iburpofen. If you really need to, those can be tandem dosed. One given halfway through the dosage of the other for relief. I personally always dosed for fevers aggressively because my son had Febrile seizures from fevers.

Good luck.

• Thanks 1

I just had another thought about whether or not you have pursued suing the birth father for child support for your GS? It can be enforced even in the form of wage garnishment.

Is there any way you can pursue legal guardianship? It's obvious that your daughter is dependent on you and that you are providing for all of the baby's needs.

Edited by calbear

Baby has some sort of virus (not Covid).

Dr was not overly concerned about the tremors since they lasted only a few seconds each-- and he only had them when his fever was spiking. 

Fever has come down and vomiting has stopped-- he has nibbled a few things.  Pedialite pops have been a hit...  he still looks miserable.

--

Wednesday update-- no fever this morning.  It took FOREVER to get him to sleep last night-- but he slept peacefully after that.

I think he takes after DH who doesn't do 'sick' very well...

• Like 15