Menu

Anyone know how

Ausmumof3

• 3 weeks later...

Hey. 

well I’m ok but life is very messy right now. I got served nasty divorce papers in late Oct. My mom died Nov. 1. They messed up her headstone and my dad is trying to correct it (“she was loved by all” ended up “she was always loved”). 

Dh and kids went to his mom’s for Thanksgiving. I hosted one at our place and my sister, aunt, and father came. Kids and Dh ate leftovers with us on Black Friday. 

Hearing was scheduled Dec 8 but my lawyer couldn’t make it that day and I preferred to not have it around the holidays. It got rescheduled for March. I’m just in limbo regarding everything. Custody, where to live, what phone plan to get, you name it. I’m working my 2 part time jobs and planning to secure something FT because my current income isn’t enough to live on. I’m keeping the cat. That’s about all I know lol Saving my money to pay lawyer fees and plan for move + furniture or whatever. 

I probably shouldn’t post much but none of that info is news to dh. 

I haven’t looked at the board in a while so I’m out of the loop on what’s new with everyone. Thank you for thinking of me. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 33

The good part about my mom is she is no longer suffering. Her ability to speak went in and out with Parkinson’s but she was able to tell me she loved me during one of my trips to see her. I was with her in the hospital when she passed. She was very religious and died on All Saint’s Day. I went to the funeral as did one sister. We got the church to use their live streaming equipment to stream the service for the sister in England. The service is hosted on YouTube, actually so others were able to view it as well. 

I know I won’t be homeless. I found some possible places but I want to do more than make ends meet. I need enough to save, pay debt, etc. If necessary I’ll apply for SNAP but my kids outaged WIC. I don’t think I’ll need to apply, though. I think I’ll be ok.

I was a little discouraged that one interview I had was a complete waste of everyone’s time (different librarian job... they had a lot of applicants and many had library degrees. Totally fine but why interview me at all then only to point that out?). Their library is open weird hours, anyway and didn’t pay a whole lot. 

• Like 6

My biggest concern is how do you share kids if you live in different cities and they are in school? It’s just not logical to me. I know Dh would want me to just get 2 weekends a month and keep kids in private school/live with him. But I’m not on board with that. 

Nothing makes sense. I’ve read about splits (3 days here/4 days there) but again not logical during a school week. 

1 minute ago, heartlikealion said:

My biggest concern is how do you share kids if you live in different cities and they are in school? It’s just not logical to me. I know Dh would want me to just get 2 weekends a month and keep kids in private school/live with him. But I’m not on board with that. 

Nothing makes sense. I’ve read about splits (3 days here/4 days there) but again not logical during a school week. 

How far are the towns apart? Is it possible to live halfway in between work in one town and where your dh lives? It's not unusual for people to drive 20-30 minutes to work every day in the area in which I live, so that does color my thinking.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

How far are the towns apart? Is it possible to live halfway in between work in one town and where your dh lives? It's not unusual for people to drive 20-30 minutes to work every day in the area in which I live, so that does color my thinking.

That's considered a short commute where I live.  (2ds has a co-worker who commutes 90mins?  - might be longer - each way.)

Heart, I'm sorry things are being difficult. You're in my prayers things will work out.  My sympathies on the loss of your mom.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Plenty of people do 3/4 split and make it work - even with school.  The key is communication with the school and teachers, letting them know that on Thursday (or whatever), mom drops off and dad picks up. Or giving them a calendar stating exactly which days are which.  And leaving said calendar with the kids.  And lists for the kids. And consistency.  Before you know it, it’s just a way of life and you don’t even think about it!

The problem is sometimes when the communication between the parents is virtually none or hostile because you inevitably have to pop over and pick up something that some kid forgot.

My point is not to rule that situation out. You can absolutely make it work!

1 hour ago, Ailaena said:

Plenty of people do 3/4 split and make it work - even with school.   

The problem is sometimes when the communication between the parents is virtually none or hostile  

It only takes one  parent to make it NOT work.   both parents have to be on board.  Both parents have to be willing to put the needs of their kids first.

sadly - too many put their kids in the middle to spite their ex. 

• Thanks 1

When my oldest was younger and I had joint custody we did week on/week off.   Whoever was finishing up their week dropped her off at school Monday morning, the other parent picked up Monday afternoon.    She went to school where her dad lived for the remainder of elementary and middle school (about 5 years) then moved to my district for high school.   I drove about 90 minutes round trip for the morning drop-off when I had her.  Afternoon was better without traffic.   

I will say she kind of hated switching at school like that because it meant she had so much stuff to bring to school with her.   I would swing by her dad's house to pick up stuff she would need but her dad wouldn't so that caused issues.   I do think a full week worked better than splitting a week. 

(((Hugs))) and good luck.  I'm sorry you are having to deal with so much along with the holidays. 

I have lived through this and the one thing I know is that visitation is already hard enough without making it more complicated by living in different towns.  Think of your kids and how much they will have to be on the road back and forth between houses.  Please please find a place to live in the same town as your Dh.  If you don’t you can almost be guaranteed that he will get sole custody and you will be left with minimal visitation. If you stay in the same town you should get joint custody and 50 % time.  

8 minutes ago, Wheres Toto said:

When my oldest was younger and I had joint custody we did week on/week off.   Whoever was finishing up their week dropped her off at school Monday morning, the other parent picked up Monday afternoon.    She went to school where her dad lived for the remainder of elementary and middle school (about 5 years) then moved to my district for high school.   I drove about 90 minutes round trip for the morning drop-off when I had her.  Afternoon was better without traffic.   

I will say she kind of hated switching at school like that because it meant she had so much stuff to bring to school with her.   I would swing by her dad's house to pick up stuff she would need but her dad wouldn't so that caused issues.   I do think a full week worked better than splitting a week. 

(((Hugs))) and good luck.  I'm sorry you are having to deal with so much along with the holidays. 

I agree that the week on/week off is pretty simple.  My sister has done that for years.  They did the exchange on Sunday afternoon though which does make it easier for all the stuff kids haul back and forth. The more things you can have two of the better.

Some people think that younger kids do better with the 3/4 split but I don’t know.  My boss does that one but he and his child’s mom have a very unique set up.  They live next door to each other and they are amazingly focused on the child’s needs.  Most co parenting doesn’t go so smoothly.  

4 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

It’s very complicated/lots of factors. I originally looked for housing closer to Dh but there are other obstacles. 

Heart, what about having the judge keep the kids in the home, and you and dh swap in and out of an apartment that is close by? 

I'm not sure if that would be helpful to you or not? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Halftime Hope said:

Heart, what about having the judge keep the kids in the home, and you and dh swap in and out of an apartment that is close by? 

I'm not sure if that would be helpful to you or not? 

I think the reason that won’t work is because the housing is tied to his employment.

I can’t explain the whole story here, but just know it’s complicated and there is literally no housing in dh’s town. Like maybe a sketchy apartment that Dh wouldn’t even let us move near because of gun activity. I have spoken to several real estate agents, called landlords. If I stay near him there is no work close to me that will support me. 

I don’t get how anyone can do drop off pick up with normal work hours. Most schools won’t let you drop off before a certain time and then you’d be late to your job. Or won’t keep the kids long after school and you rush after work. But maybe there’s a way. 

• Sad 3

47 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I can’t explain the whole story here, but just know it’s complicated and there is literally no housing in dh’s town. Like maybe a sketchy apartment that Dh wouldn’t even let us move near because of gun activity. I have spoken to several real estate agents, called landlords. If I stay near him there is no work close to me that will support me. 

I don’t get how anyone can do drop off pick up with normal work hours. Most schools won’t let you drop off before a certain time and then you’d be late to your job. Or won’t keep the kids long after school and you rush after work. But maybe there’s a way. 

Some schools have before and after care for this. And some moms do it to make money.

Edited by freesia
another thought
  • Like 1

I think around here they only have after school care. We ran into this obstacle when I interviewed for a teacher assistant job once. They wanted me on campus at 6:45 am and I couldn’t take dd to a daycare by my home and then drive 40 min to the job with those hours.  And I wasn’t familiar with any daycares near that school in the boonies. We only had one car at that time. At the private school where kids currently are they take a van both ways. Private school is expensive, though. Part of the reason we have debt from the past. 

The court hearing is in our county so the judge is more than aware of the school and job obstacles here I think at least. 

36 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I don't know anything about divorce and custody, so maybe what I am thinking doesn't work at all.

Could something like every weekend and the whole summer work? 

I don’t know, either. But we both work in summer even though Dh is at a school. 

At this point I have more questions than answers and no one can really answer them. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1