Menu

2020 edition ~ Have you encountered a unique gift? Post it here...

Kareni

4 hours ago, Familia said:

I just *splurged on an undershirt for eldest ds.  BIG splurge!  From the NZ merino wool company @lewelmarecommended: https://www.icebreaker.com/en-us/mens-underwear/merino-anatomica-tank-top-/103034.html

*Ohhh, happy to snag a deal on eBay...much better!!

It is hard to shop for adult children!  He’s a minimalist...and appreciates quality.  I hope it last years. 

My younger son LOVES these underwear.  And waits for a new pair for every christmas and birthday. As he gets more, he is phasing out the cotton. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Familia said:

I just *splurged on an undershirt for eldest ds.  BIG splurge!  From the NZ merino wool company @lewelmarecommended: https://www.icebreaker.com/en-us/mens-underwear/merino-anatomica-tank-top-/103034.html

*Ohhh, happy to snag a deal on eBay...much better!!

That looks like a great gift... and yay for the deal!

6 hours ago, Familia said:

It is hard to shop for adult children!  

And challenging, too, when they live in a different country. Book Depository, with its free worldwide shipping, has become a company we're happy to use to send books, calendars, and games to our daughter in South Korea.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, MercyA said:

Are you opposed to online shopping in general? Fun and Function has lots of fidgets, including some unique spinners: https://funandfunction.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=fidget

Online is fine!  These look great, thank you.

3 hours ago, Kareni said:

Etsy also has an abundance of spinners of all types; many are beautiful and/or unique ~

One

Two

Three

Four

Five

Six

Seven

@Ditto

Regards,

Kareni

I hadn't even thought about Etsy, thank you!  These are fantastic options.

• Like 2

I'll have to bite the bullet and admit that my inner 8th grader comes out to play at Christmas.   😉   

We have some National Parks aficionados in the family, so I'm purchasing something from Subpar Parks.  Her artwork is just slightly cheeky, publishing less-than-stellar comments from visitors to the parks:   https://ambersharedesign.com/collections/frontpage/products/subpar-parks-postcard-singles  

:-)  

ETA:  She has different sizes, up to 11x14, or similar, not just the postcards.  

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

I just ordered a couple of badge reels for my daughter and her husband who are both nurses. I ordered the Super RN badge for him and a couple of cute ones for her. This etsy shop owner is amazing. I knew her when we were young moms. She was the first homeschooler I had ever met. She has overcome some incredible life challenges - she is my hero!!

Not that you need to know that to order from her, her badge reels, Christmas ornaments, and even masks are adorable!!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Halftime Hope said:

We have some National Parks aficionados in the family, so I'm purchasing something from Subpar Parks.  Her artwork is just slightly cheeky, publishing less-than-stellar comments from visitors to the parks:   https://ambersharedesign.com/collections/frontpage/products/subpar-parks-postcard-singles  

:-)  

Those are fun, Halftime Hope! I just amused myself by sharing a host of the postcards with my husband.

1 hour ago, WendyLady said:

cute ones...

Oh, that is indeed amusing! 

I see that your friend has some nice owl items, too. 

One

Two

Thanks for sharing the link, WendyLady.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

I'll have to bite the bullet and admit that my inner 8th grader comes out to play at Christmas.   😉   

🙂

Those are hilarious. The Petrified Forest one is pretty accurate, lol. (At least to my memory - I was 13.)😂

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

🙂

These are too funny. I might have to get the Grand Canyon one for my 11 year old who famously (in our family) declared it the most boring hike she had ever been on last year. Granted, we had just been to Zion and Bryce so she was a little over the beautiful rocks and scenery. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

On 11/14/2020 at 10:13 PM, Kareni said:

Today's find ~

Someone somewhere must want this Yodeling Pickle!

Regards,

Kareni

My formerly Amish MIL and her brothers and sisters yodel! (They spoke Swiss in their home, German at church, Pennsylvanian Dutch in non-church situations, and English among the English!) I bet she'd get a kick out of it. [ETA: DH says she would think it was weird. 😊 That's kind of the point, yes? Anyway, I think it's hilarious and I admit I want it for myself.]

Psst--it's half the price here, though! 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2020 at 9:22 PM, Kareni said:

I am also all for practical gifts. My daughter's favorite gift when she was four was her very own hot water bottle.

Happy driving practice for your child!

Regards,

Kareni

I've been giving this purple unicorn hot water bottle as a baby gift and everyone loves it!  Bought one for my college age daughter when she had mono too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CRF2MT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

A fleece throw for those in need of comfort and healing:

2020 Stink, Stank, Stunk Grinch ornament

• Like 3

1 hour ago, mominco said:

Thank you for starting this thread every year Kareni!Love it

My pleasure!

1 hour ago, MercyA said:

My formerly Amish MIL and her brothers and sisters yodel! (They spoke Swiss in their home, German at church, and English elsewhere!). I bet she'd get a kick out of it.

I hope she will! And thank you for the link with the lower price.

48 minutes ago, Pippen said:

I've been giving this purple unicorn hot water bottle as a baby gift and everyone loves it!  Bought one for my college age daughter when she had mono too.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075CRF2MT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

That looks like a great baby gift, Pippen.

48 minutes ago, Pippen said:

This is warming in more than one way! Thank you for the link.

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Halftime Hope said:

🙂

Awesome. Thanks! I just found a perfect gift for my sister.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Stacia said:

Oh, that is seriously cute! Hedgehog alert: @mumto2

Thanks for your links, Stacia. I found some cute shirts at the hoodie link:

My daughter would appreciate this.

And this personifies my husband!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4

13 hours ago, kand said:

Can him give me any sizing guidance? Dh is between a small and a medium. He wears medium in men’s shorts usually. Waist is around 30-31”. He will be very active in cold weather in these, so I want them to fit well and not chafe. 

Both my dh and ds17 wear Mediums.  DH has waist 31-32 (height 5'6"), ds has waist 29-30 (height 5'9").  Apparently the band is pretty flexible.  My dh got a large once, and the band is still fine but they are just baggier in butt and crotch. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2020 at 4:12 PM, happi duck said:

"Keyboard slam" laptop sleeve: https://society6.com/product/keyboard-slam_laptop-sleeve?sku=s6-10861853p45a58v428

I have this sleeve and other things from this same artist and I'm pleased with the quality!

Society6 was a rabbit hole that I should not have gone down... I bought so much stuff on that site!!

My husband does the cooking in our house, but he is always looking to automate the task, so I am going to buy him this:

https://www.amazon.com/StirMATE®-Smart-Pot-Stirrer-Rechargeable/dp/B076HH4WZM?ref_=ast_sto_dp

For my wannabe astronaut, I am going to get him this:

https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/mars-dust-globe

I might buy these for myself:

https://www.uncommongoods.com/product/historic-women-who-dared-wine-glasses

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, happi duck said:

That's so vibrant and cheerful! Just the thing as the days are getting shorter.

1 hour ago, SeaConquest said:

My husband does the cooking in our house, but he is always looking to automate the task, so I am going to buy him this:

https://www.amazon.com/StirMATE®-Smart-Pot-Stirrer-Rechargeable/dp/B076HH4WZM?ref_=ast_sto_dp

This reminds me a bit of the magnetic stirrers that we used to have in my Chemistry lab; it's a great idea and I hope your husband will enjoy it.

Thanks for the links to Uncommon Goods; they have some lovely items. These ornaments are definitely out of the ordinary ~

Wooden Anatomy Ornament

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 3

On 11/12/2020 at 9:10 PM, MercyA said:

And with that website I just ordered my Aunt’s entire present, and part of my mom and MILs presents!  Yay!  My mom and MIL always say, “Just get me restaurant gift cards,” but that won’t work as well this year. And they “say” they just want gift cards, but they also want a little present as well.  So, they’ll each get one of those pretty hearts and restaurant gc’s to get takeout.

• Like 4

19 hours ago, Stacia said:

I have been laughing my head off at some of these items.

Calamity Ware has fun stuff. A lot of it is pricey but there are more reasonably priced things too.

https://calamityware.com/

Thanks for this thread, Karen. And thanks to everyone who posts. I have found some great gifts thanks to you guys!

I got the mugs for my sons for their birthdays this fall. They are really fun and actually also very attractive. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Alice said:

I got the mugs for my sons for their birthdays this fall. They are really fun and actually also very attractive. 

I had backed their kickstarter (pre-covid days) for their larger mugs. The mugs arrived after the covid lockdowns, so it was a fun, ironic treat to get them.

My ds & I use them tons. He likes them because the handle is big enough for his big hands. (He's 19.) They are very nice quality & hold up well to daily use & dishwashers. (I don't want to own things unless they can go in a dishwasher or washing machine, lol.)

I would love to buy some of their plates, but they are so very pricey.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I always am happy when someone finds an ideal gift due to someone's post in this thread!

Which hearts did you choose, @Garga?

Regards,

Kareni

I’ll give my MIL the one with the bird, and I’ll give my aunt the one with the hedgehogs.  And I’ll give my mother both of them! She’ll get the bird and the hedgehogs.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/844874815/hedgehog-friends-15cm-decoupaged-wooden?ref=yr_purchases

https://www.etsy.com/listing/814215089/bird-in-blossom-vintage-style-12cm?ref=yr_purchases

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Garga said:

I’ll give my MIL the one with the bird, and I’ll give my aunt the one with the hedgehogs.  And I’ll give my mother both of them! She’ll get the bird and the hedgehogs.

Those are both charming.  ...lucky mother!

Regards,

Kareni

On 11/12/2020 at 7:22 PM, mum said:

I'd love you to check out my Etsy shop with lots of unique gifts. I make them all by hand.

The banners I make are so sweet. They are super popular in England, where I grew up, and I give one as a gift whenever I can. 

Thank you!

Etsy.com/shop/fabricspeaks

Is there any chance you will add circular fabric coasters? I'm not completely sure my OCD can handle square ones 😄

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, katilac said:

Is there any chance you will add circular fabric coasters? I'm not completely sure my OCD can handle square ones 😄

Circular fabric coasters are hard to get looking perfect. These square ones have the most perfect quilting, your OCD will probably be very happy! I am thinking about putting fabric twine coasters in the shop. I have really enjoyed making fabric twine, and it does make some very cheerful and artistic coasters. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, mum said:

Circular fabric coasters are hard to get looking perfect. These square ones have the most perfect quilting, your OCD will probably be very happy! I am thinking about putting fabric twine coasters in the shop. I have really enjoyed making fabric twine, and it does make some very cheerful and artistic coasters. 

You are correct, I do love me some prefect quilting, lol. And my dd is loving the print. 

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

I'm reminded of the find that precipitated my first thread of this sort ~ Cutting board

A popular gift in prior years ~Bubble Wrap Calendar - A Poster Sized Wall Calendar with a Bubble to Pop Everyday

Regards,

Kareni

That cutting board is a thing of beauty. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Quill said:

I agree with @SeaConquest that Society6 is worth the rabbit trail. I am very excited to give my dd something I found there. Look at these beautiful city skylines as art and home decor: https://society6.com/bribuckley/collection/pop-art-skylines

Bri Buckley’s art is wonderful! 

I hope that your daughter will enjoy her gift!

I looked to see if the artist had created a skyline of Seoul where my daughter lives but no luck. I did, however, find these pieces by other artists.

One

Two

There is definitely a treasure trove of noteworthy items on the site!

Regards,

Kareni

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Kareni said:

I hope that your daughter will enjoy her gift!

I looked to see if the artist had created a skyline of Seoul where my daughter lives but no luck. I did, however, find these pieces by other artists.

One

Two

There is definitely a treasure trove of noteworthy items on the site!

Regards,

Kareni

Pretty! I like the colors of the wall tapestry one better than the framed print with its muddy, dark colors. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Does anyone have suggestions for a musical themed gift for a professional musician? He is an older gentleman and has a great sense of humor.

Perhaps he'd enjoy a CD of songs by Tom Lehrer who was popular in the sixties and remains popular in my house. I recommend An Evening Wasted With Tom Lehrer as the artist introduces each number.

His satiric songs are entertaining.

A few examples ~ 

I Hold Your Hand In Mine.

Send the Marines.

The Elements.

Tom Lehrer was recently in the news.He's now 92 and has just placed his lyrics and music in the public domain. 

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I thought you might like to know about wrapping paper made w/ your photos. Find it here.

There are also DIY ways to do it including printing your photo (somehow printing it big), and taping several together for enough paper to wrap.

Re: the Costco photo mugs. I once put way too many pictures into one mug and it looked bad/not giveable. My main tip: don't use more than 6 to 10 pics. The mugs are way easier to make than I'm making it sound.

Hugs everyone -- this has been a hard year, and the holidays are so needed. 🎄🎁🎀

Wendy

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AnneBlessedx4 said:

Ideas for a blind lady in her 70s with not a lot of space?

My first thought was of a small cotton velour blanket with which to snuggle; I thought of velour since it has a nice texture. 

Does she read Braille? I found some games ~

Braille Playing Cards

Braille Uno cards

ETA: The next one does not require Braille.

Rubik's Tactile Cube

Regards

Kareni

• Like 2

On 11/15/2020 at 9:36 PM, MercyA said:

My formerly Amish MIL and her brothers and sisters yodel! (They spoke Swiss in their home, German at church, and English elsewhere.) I bet she'd get a kick out of it. [ETA: DH says she would think it was weird. 😊 That's kind of the point, yes? Anyway, I think it's hilarious and I admit I want it for myself.]

Psst--it's half the price here, though! 

My dad would drive my mom nuts using it all the time! lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kareni said:

My first thought was of a small cotton velour blanket with which to snuggle; I thought of velour since it has a nice texture. 

Does she read Braille? I found some games ~

Braille Playing Cards

Braille Uno cards

ETA: The next one does not require Braille.

Rubik's Tactile Cube

Regards

Kareni

A tactile blanket sounds good, too!  Might have to be homemade to get the different textures tho.

• Like 1