Menu

20 in 20 for 2020 Day 3!

Slache

Walked 1.2 miles today, wandering a little farther from the house than my nervous husband would probably prefer. (Given my recent issues with balance and vertigo, he had requested that I stick close enough to home that he could walk out the front door and immediately spot my prone body on the sidewalk.) and  th However, I really felt the need to be near some trees and maybe hear a few birds, so I took the route that has me passing briefly along the edge of a conservation area. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I like the photos !

we, dog and I, have done our daily Walk each day. 

I might try skipping ...

there’s a Michael McIntyre comedy sketch with skipping and I thought “hey that looks like fun!”  

Haven’t skipped since I was maybe 7.    I wonder if I remember how. 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Jenny in Florida said:

Walked 1.2 miles today, wandering a little farther from the house than my nervous husband would probably prefer. (Given my recent issues with balance and vertigo, he had requested that I stick close enough to home that he could walk out the front door and immediately spot my prone body on the sidewalk.) and  th However, I really felt the need to be near some trees and maybe hear a few birds, so I took the route that has me passing briefly along the edge of a conservation area. 

Do you have an apple watch? They have an emergency set up where it can detect a fall and alert people you program into it. Also can alert 911 if you press and hold the side button thing, and text the contacts you specify. Might make him feel better? Our t-mobile plan lets us get one with no money down, no interest, just a monthly payment of about $20, plus another $10 for the cellular plan for it. 

Oh, and it tracks gait asymmetry somehow, so could help you track how well you are or are not walking? But mostly, the emergency features might be worth it. 

Here is more info on the fall detection: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208944

If Apple Watch Series 4 or later detects a hard fall while you're wearing your watch, it taps you on the wrist, sounds an alarm, and displays an alert. You can choose to contact emergency services or dismiss the alert by pressing the Digital Crown, tapping Close in the upper-left corner, or tapping "I'm OK." 

Message that "It looks like you've taken a hard fall."    

If your Apple Watch detects that you're moving, it waits for you to respond to the alert and won't automatically call emergency services. If your watch detects that you have been immobile for about a minute, it will make the call automatically.

After the call ends, your watch sends a message to your emergency contacts with your location letting them know that your watch detected a hard fall and dialed emergency services. Your watch gets your emergency contacts from your Medical ID.

Edited by ktgrok
  • Like 1

Took both DDs and all 3 kids to the dog park while the weather is so nice here (lower 70s!) and when we got back I immediately put on my Leslie Sansone video and did a one mile walk with it. I don't measure the walk itself - I find the "dance" workout setting on my apple watch is more accurate for the videos than "indoor walk" which is for treadmills - but I figure it calls itself a 1 mile walk and who am I to doubt that, lol. 

I put off lunch for a bit to do that, and I'm proud of myself for that. 

Also, DD10 and DH walked over 3 miles today, outside. They took DD3 with them and she walked over 1 mile of it, rode in the stroller for the rest, so they are way ahead of the game!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I will have to make up today's mile later in the week.  Had my diagnostic mammogram early this morning and didn't sleep well last night due to absolute fear over the election results and coming months.  I got up early with all intentions of working out but ended up hanging with my teen instead.   The rest of the day has been spent doing everything but working out.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ditto said:

I will have to make up today's mile later in the week.  Had my diagnostic mammogram early this morning and didn't sleep well last night due to absolute fear over the election results and coming months.  I got up early with all intentions of working out but ended up hanging with my teen instead.   The rest of the day has been spent doing everything but working out.  

Hugs. Prayers for peace for you while you wait for all results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, historically accurate said:

Hugs. Prayers for peace for you while you wait for all results.

Since it was diagnostic I got the results before I let (love my mammo place) and all was clear.   I have cancer so I get checked often.  Thank you for the prayers,  I very much need and appreciate them.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Ditto said:

Since it was diagnostic I got the results before I let (love my mammo place) and all was clear.   I have cancer so I get checked often.  Thank you for the prayers,  I very much need and appreciate them.

Glad you had good results. 

Walked a few more miles with digs and 2 kids.  I am out for the rest of the day.  I didn't get much sleep thanks to the neighbors' dogs.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Lady Florida. said:

I did a 20 minute Jessica Smith stretching workout (technically just over 18 minutes) earlier today and then went for my 1 mile walk this evening. I like to go just before sunset.

20201103_172300.jpg

20201103_172947.jpg

I love her recovery workout - it's about that long and great stretching and loosening everything up. 

• Like 1

Gorgeous day today.  Didn't get out and walk with students today as we had a medical emergency with one (who will be fine).

Got home and took dd out for a 20 minute walk in the woods and along the water.  Then to the beach for supper.  Picture has snow fence...and it was snowing Sunday, but today was 57°

IMG_20201103_173423065.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

How do you carry your water bottle when walking outside? I try to drink at least 1 quart but hopefully closer to 2 when I walk, so I make sure to exercise before a meal or at least 2 hours after. I usually drink a quart when walking and another after and driving home. This has been great for me to get hydrated. I'm terrible about that!

It's easy to place the bottle on a treadmill, but I'm not sure what to do when walking. I dislike it in my hand. Is there a contraption that distributes the weight better, like a fanny pack or something?

1 hour ago, IfIOnly said:

How do you carry your water bottle when walking outside? I try to drink at least 1 quart but hopefully closer to 2 when I walk, so I make sure to exercise before a meal or at least 2 hours after. I usually drink a quart when walking and another after and driving home. This has been great for me to get hydrated. I'm terrible about that!

It's easy to place the bottle on a treadmill, but I'm not sure what to do when walking. I dislike it in my hand. Is there a contraption that distributes the weight better, like a fanny pack or something?

There are these contraptions called "hydration packs" which you can carry on your back. I have seen so many sizes of these and if you walk for longer durations outside, then, it is worth investing in. There is a hydration waist pack as well.

https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-advice/hydration-system.html

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

So I procrastinated again!  Finally got on the rower at 11:05. 🙄 

Did a mile in just under 8 minutes (18spm for the first 800, then 22-3 for the next 600, sprint to the finish), then did 15 strokes hard/ 15 strokes easy till I got to 2800m, stretches after.

How many meters do you consider a mile on the rower? Same as if you were running? 

Did everyone survive? Y'all sound good! New thread:

17 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

My view tonight...

Very nice!

17 hours ago, Familia said:

Done!  Cotton and Timmy, the sheep say, “May everyone find something good in each day!”  

That's a cat.

6 hours ago, Lady Florida. said:

I like to go just before sunset.

Pretty!

2 hours ago, Ottakee said:

Gorgeous day today. 

Love!

2 hours ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Done!  Chihuahua and I went tonite.  I have to carry him at a certain point, but he still loves it. 

I have this idea for a very comfortable harness with a handle so you can just carry them like a purse.

2 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

How do you carry your water bottle when walking outside?

I don't. I drink a bunch when I get home. It's either not a big deal so it's irrelevant or it was a serious workout and I get showered and log any stuff and deal with the kids and I'm drinking that whole time.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Slache said:

Did everyone survive? Y'all sound good! New thread:

I don't. I drink a bunch when I get home. It's either not a big deal so it's irrelevant or it was a serious workout and I get showered and log any stuff and deal with the kids and I'm drinking that whole time.

Even just walking 30 minutes/a mile uphill on the treadmill, every 5 minutes I guzzle. Lol.  Really trying to make that time double duty. Exercise and hydration.

3 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

Even just walking 30 minutes/a mile uphill on the treadmill, every 5 minutes I guzzle. Lol.  Really trying to make that time double duty. Exercise and hydration.

Have you seen the hydration packs? Like a vest or fanny pack with the straw?

10 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

How do you drink that much water and NOT have to pee on your walks?

• Like 2

I did get my walk in yesterday--just never got back on the computer. I had to get my wheelchair kid to an appointment right after school. Then I was worried about running out of daylight before being able to get a walk in, so I just took dd to a local track on our way home and we did a mile there. She loved it. Poor thing never gets out of the house anymore (she cannot mask). I keep meaning to include a mini weather report too, so quick summary:
day 1: 54° and bright sunshine
day 2: 63° and bright sunshine
day 3: 63° and overcast

walk3.JPG

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ottakee said:

How do you drink that much water and NOT have to pee on your walks?

It's just a quart of water during exercise. Then I try to do a quart after. I do have a "strong bladder" too or something, I think.

Edited by IfIOnly
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Ottakee said:

@Ali in OR so glad you got your walk in....with your daughter.  That is added exercise with pushing the chair.

I walked a mile with my students this morning and then 3 miles at lunch with a friend.   It is a glorious sunny day in West Michigan and I didn't even need a jacket.

And while wearing a mask! I should get extra credit for that too. I can't really walk dd in our neighborhood--too hilly. It's a very hard workout for me, but I'll do it sometimes. The track was lovely in comparison. She used to "walk" the track a lot in high school.