Menu

UPDATED (finally!) AT END OF THREAD — DR HIVE — Help! I have a fever and I’m scared!

Catwoman

Yesterday around dinner time, I started getting chills and feeling very tired, so I decided to take my temperature as a precaution. It was over 99, which is high for me because my normal temp is pretty low. Anyway, the chills went away after a little while, but my temperature was fluctuating all night long. The highest it went was 101, and it averaged between 100 and 100.4 (I think — I didn’t write it down.) It didn’t stay at 101 for very long. I didn’t take any Tylenol to reduce the fever because it was low and I felt okay. 

This morning, my temperature was 100.4 at around 8:30am and it has inched down from there to 99.1, where it is right now. 

I am, of course, panicked that I might have Covid. 😞 

We haven’t gone anywhere since the end of February, except for occasional curbside pickups at the grocery store where I get out of the car and load it up — but there are never other people near me when I do it, and I always wear an N95 mask with a surgical mask layered over it, and I use nitrile gloves and a ton of hand sanitizer. I usually sanitize all of the groceries, but I forgot to sanitize the box of cake mix I used on the 6th, and I forgot to wear my mask when I sanitized some groceries late last week. I am careful with the mail, but I occasionally open something without a mask. But that’s IT. Nothing else.

I feel like the odds of it being Covid are very low... but the odds of my having caught anything at all should be incredibly low, too, given all of the crazy precautions I take. My dh and ds have even less exposure than I do, so there is no way I contracted anything from them.

Right now, the low fever is my only real symptom, although I am vaguely headachey. (I get migraines anyway, so being nervous about this could easily trigger a headache.) I do feel very tired, but I haven’t gotten much sleep in several days.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on and on, but does anyone have any ideas of what could cause a fever in someone who hasn’t been exposed to anyone who might have been sick? I’m grasping at straws here!

I have quarantined myself in a bedroom and am treating this as though it’s Covid, because I don’t want anyone else to get sick. I am taking Vitamin D and Vitamin K and I am starting to take a Twinlabs women’s formula multivitamin. I have also been using zinc lozenges. Things taste a little weird, but I always get that from the zinc, so it’s not a loss of taste issue, and I can definitely smell all of the Lysol that has been sprayed all over the house. 

What would you do if you thought there was a possibility you had contracted Covid? I know @Pen and several other people have discussed protocols they would follow if they thought they had it, but I am too tired to go back through the giant Covid threads to find the info. I can order anything I need from Amazon or from places like Vitamin Shoppe that have curbside pickup. 

Oh, and I also started using one of those incentive spirometer things that we already had in the house, and I also have a pulse oximeter. So far, so good with that! Additionally, I’d heard that laying down in the prone position is good to do, so I did that for an hour this morning and will keep changing my positions and try to move around and take a lot of deep breaths. The prone position is hard because it hurts my back, but I’m doing it anyway. If there are other activities/positions/breathing exercises I should be trying, please let me know. 

I am trying my best to be proactive, just in case! 

One last thing — how many days should I wait before I get tested? I know there are a lot of false negatives and I have heard that testing too soon might lead to an inaccurate result, so I’m wondering how long I should wait, and if any specific test is supposed to be the most accurate.

If you have made it this far and are still reading, could you please pray for my dh and my ds20, that they stay healthy? I’m so worried about them!

I hate being scared. 

Edited by Catwoman
  • Sad 13

Do you have a pulse oximeter? If not, I'd order one on Amazon. They are about $25 right now.  It can be reassuring to know your O2 levels are good. It's just a useful device to have around the house. 

It does sound to me like it would be a great stretch for you to get COVID given how careful you have been.

Could it be an ear infection? UTI? 

If I just had a fever/headache, I'd make to be sure to stay away from the other folks in the house, but I would not assume it was COVID. I would have to develop more symptoms of COVID before I went to be tested.  And if I did develop more symptoms, I'd call my doctor and ask if I should be tested and if so, when. 

I know it hard not to assume COVID these days, but it could easily be so many others things. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

You have been so careful, and I applaud you for that. There are so many things that can cause fever. I suspect it's something simple, but I would be afraid too. Hope you feel better today and don't develop more symptoms. 

The ox meter sounds like a good investment. I actually need to get one too.

(((Catwoman)))

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Bambam said:

Do you have a pulse oximeter? If not, I'd order one on Amazon. They are about $25 right now.  It can be reassuring to know your O2 levels are good. It's just a useful device to have around the house. 

It does sound to me like it would be a great stretch for you to get COVID given how careful you have been.

If I just had a fever/headache, I'd make to be sure to stay away from the other folks in the house, but I would not assume it was COVID. I would have to develop more symptoms of COVID before I went to be tested.  And if I did develop more symptoms, I'd call my doctor and ask if I should be tested and if so, when. 

I know it hard not to assume COVID these days, but it could easily be so many others things. 

Thank you! 

Yes, I do have a pulse oximeter and so far, everything seems fine. I’m thinking of ordering a backup oximeter because I don’t really know how accurate these things are! Mine is a brand called Healthsmart and I got it at Walmart.com a few months ago. 

I don’t think it would be an ear infection or a UTI, because when I have had those in the past, I have known it, and I have no symptoms. 

This is so weird. I don’t have any symptoms right now other than the low temperature and feeling very tired. I definitely feel like I’m getting sick, though. It’s that kind of tired.

• Sad 2

Sounds like the chance of it being covid are low.  But I just don't think we know everything about it yet.  Keep doing what you are doing.  I think you should see about getting a test if you think knowing will help.  I am sorry you are stressed about this.  Sending prayers that you don't have it.  I have heard a lot of people that don't get a positive for several tests.

• Thanks 1

So, it does sound unlikely to be anything contagious. 

Which leaves UTI (have you maybe not been drinking enough fluids? Or had a lot of irritating beverages like coffee/tea more than usual?), or a sinus or ear infection secondary to allergies - I often run a lowgrade fever when fighting off a sinus infection and that could cause headache. If the headache is worse when you lean over that can signal sinus infection. Or a tooth infection. Or a tickborne illness if you've had possible exposure there. 

I'd think all those are more likely than Covid - but if it continues without an obvious answer I'd get tested. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2dd, dsil and grandbaby were exposed.  well, 3rd party.   2dd (pregnant - works in a hospital) and dsil were both tested, negative.  then grandbaby had his first fever - over 102.  after three days, (because that was how long the doctor wanted to wait) grandbaby had a quick test and it was negative.  it was just a fever from a virus.  and after several days of being miserable and very cranky . . . he woke up fine.  (which is good. of course his dad was letting him watch unlimited cocomelon, and he'd meltdown when it was turned off.)   so - fever doesn't necessarily equal covid.

my understanding is a covid fevers have generally been over 102.   

how is your sense of smell?  (that's been common.)

do you have other symptoms specific to covid?

I hope it's just a summer virus.

• Like 1

(( oh honey ))

You do not need this, even if -- as I dearly hope, and also, given how locked down you've been, I expect -- it's a false alarm.

Staying as separate from your husband as possible is wise.

If you don't have an oximeter... I would task your son with getting one for you ASAP.  In my town, CVS will do same-day delivery for a $10 fee. At worst, Amazon or Walmart will ship within 2 days.  This is precisely the time when you want one.

In the meantime, ask your son to set up a "smell test" for you -- several quite-different-smelling spices in identical unmarked containers. Make sure you can differentiate and identify them -- not *all* COVID-positive people lose their sense of smell, but if you *have* lost yours, that is a strong indication that IMO would warrant immediate testing.

Figure out now where your best testing option is later, and what you'd need to utilize it. In many states there are drive-through or pop-up public health centers where you can self-refer; in others a doctor's order is required. Have a plan lined up.  

(I think if I were in your shoes, my plan would be something like: If I'm not feeling better by ___ (a point in time, maybe Sunday at 1p)____  OR if my temp spikes above ____ (a number, maybe 101.5) OR if I experience any respiratory issues, I will get tested immediately.

The other thing, in your case, would be to figure out a way to get yourself separated from your husband if you have, somehow, contracted it. Unless you have a set-up at home where you'll really be able to stay out of contamination range, I'd be trying to work that out now.

Holding you in the light.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

So, it does sound unlikely to be anything contagious. 

Which leaves UTI (have you maybe not been drinking enough fluids? Or had a lot of irritating beverages like coffee/tea more than usual?), or a sinus or ear infection secondary to allergies - I often run a lowgrade fever when fighting off a sinus infection and that could cause headache. If the headache is worse when you lean over that can signal sinus infection. Or a tooth infection. Or a tickborne illness if you've had possible exposure there. 

I'd think all those are more likely than Covid - but if it continues without an obvious answer I'd get tested. 

I am sure it’s not a UTI or an ear infection, but I was wondering about the sinus infection angle — although I don’t usually get a fever with a sinus infection and this feels different to me. Usually I don’t get the tiredness along with a sinus infection, either. I forgot to try bending over, so I’m glad you mentioned that. I just did it and I don’t feel any different... but ... this only just started yesterday, so I will try to be extra aware of any changes. Thanks! 

8 minutes ago, gardenmom5 said:

2dd, dsil and grandbaby were exposed.  well, 3rd party.   2dd (pregnant - works in a hospital) and dsil were both tested, negative.  then grandbaby had his first fever - over 102.  after three days, (because that was how long the doctor wanted to wait) grandbaby had a quick test and it was negative.  it was just a fever from a virus.  and after several days of being miserable and very cranky . . . he woke up fine.  (which is good. of course his dad was letting him watch unlimited cocomelon, and he'd meltdown when it was turned off.)   so - fever doesn't necessarily equal covid.

my understanding is a covid fevers have generally been over 102.   

how is your sense of smell?  (that's been common.)

do you have other symptoms specific to covid?

I hope it's just a summer virus.

I hope it’s just a run of the mill virus, too — but I can’t figure out where or how I would have caught one!

My sense of smell is fine. I keep testing it because I am an idiot.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pam in CT said:

(( oh honey ))

You do not need this, even if -- as I dearly hope, and also, given how locked down you've been, I expect -- it's a false alarm.

Staying as separate from your husband as possible is wise.

If you don't have an oximeter... I would task your son with getting one for you ASAP.  In my town, CVS will do same-day delivery for a $10 fee. At worst, Amazon or Walmart will ship within 2 days.  This is precisely the time when you want one.

In the meantime, ask your son to set up a "smell test" for you -- several quite-different-smelling spices in identical unmarked containers. Make sure you can differentiate and identify them -- not *all* COVID-positive people lose their sense of smell, but if you *have* lost yours, that is a strong indication that IMO would warrant immediate testing.

Figure out now where your best testing option is later, and what you'd need to utilize it. In many states there are drive-through or pop-up public health centers where you can self-refer; in others a doctor's order is required. Have a plan lined up.  

(I think if I were in your shoes, my plan would be something like: If I'm not feeling better by ___ (a point in time, maybe Sunday at 1p)____  OR if my temp spikes above ____ (a number, maybe 101.5) OR if I experience any respiratory issues, I will get tested immediately.

The other thing, in your case, would be to figure out a way to get yourself separated from your husband if you have, somehow, contracted it. Unless you have a set-up at home where you'll really be able to stay out of contamination range, I'd be trying to work that out now.

Holding you in the light.

Thank you! These are all great ideas!

We do have a pulse oximeter.

Our house is set up in a way that I can completely isolate from everyone else, so that’s a plus. 

I will find out today what my testing options are. Of course, this has to happen on a weekend! But right now, I am hoping to be able to wait a few days before I get tested anyway, because otherwise I will be worried even if the results are negative, wondering if I tested too soon and got a false negative.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I hope it’s just a run of the mill virus, too — but I can’t figure out where or how I would have caught one!

That is not at all idiotic: it is a concrete step you CAN take that provides both important diagnostic feedback and also a small sense that you have some degree of control.

It is akin to shuttering the windows and laying in supplies when a hurricane is coming. Both a practical precaution and an action that provides a psychological sense of agency.

#HealthyHabit 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Pam in CT said:

That is not at all idiotic: it is a concrete step you CAN take that provides both important diagnostic feedback and also a small sense that you have some degree of control.

It is akin to shuttering the windows and laying in supplies when a hurricane is coming. Both a practical precaution and an action that provides a psychological sense of agency.

#HealthyHabit 

It sounds so much better when you put it that way! 😁

You hit the nail on the head when you said I’m looking for some degree of control. I want to do everything possible to minimize this if it turns out to be Covid, and I figure none of the extra things will hurt if it (hopefully!) turns out to be something else!

• Like 2

Because I believe you have a high risk dh, as I do, I'd sleep in another room for now and not sit next to him for a few days.  I'd ask my doctor to be tested.

I don't know of anything else going around yet -- like flu, bad colds, etc., but you never know.  I'd be worried about Covid too.

On the other hand, it does seem like your risks are very, very low, even lower than mine -- and I'm really careful!  (But I also help care for my dad who lives in his own apartment and I see our two daughters who don't live with us (but who are also extremely careful.))  

Take care and please keep us posted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I am sure it’s not a UTI or an ear infection, but I was wondering about the sinus infection angle — although I don’t usually get a fever with a sinus infection and this feels different to me. Usually I don’t get the tiredness along with a sinus infection, either. I forgot to try bending over, so I’m glad you mentioned that. I just did it and I don’t feel any different... but ... this only just started yesterday, so I will try to be extra aware of any changes. Thanks! 

Really?  Whenever I’ve got a sinus infection I feel like something the cat dragged in.  You might try taking Sudafed and see if you feel better.

• Like 1

Just now, Pawz4me said:

Do you possibly have anything auto-immune in nature going on? Lots of those things can cause low grade fevers.

I agree with the others that it seems highly unlikely to be Covid. But still . . . I totally understand your worry. Hugs.

I don’t think I have anything auto-immune going on. I’m not even sure what I would be looking for. 

3 minutes ago, Katy said:

Even getting upset or some types of migraines can cause temperature spikes.

I mean, go get tested and stay away from your family but I wouldn't panic.

Do take a big dose of Vitamin D.

I took 20,000 iu of vitamin D last night. I’m not sure how much I’m supposed to be taking! 

I don’t have a migraine right now, and I have never had a temperature spike with mine. (I have been getting them for decades.) 

I’m worried now, but I was actually having a very good day yesterday, and I remember thinking how nice it was to have had a few days in a row without being worried about anything. (I am a worrier by nature!) 

4 minutes ago, Carol in Cal. said:

Really?  Whenever I’ve got a sinus infection I feel like something the cat dragged in.  You might try taking Sudafed and see if you feel better.

Now that you mention it, I did have a bad sinus infection last year where I felt awful and I ended up needing antibiotics. I don’t have any real sinus symptoms now, though. 

39 minutes ago, Bambam said:

This. Cat, it sounds highly unlikely that you could have contracted CV19 given all the precautions you listed. I think it is perfectly normal in these days for us to get worried much more than in previous years when a cold was just a cold and now we have to wonder if it's more. I bet you feel better in few days. You can of course get tested to set your mind at ease. Lots of tea / liquids and rest should do it.

• Like 1

Just thinking again...  A few months ago, I had about 36 hours of chills and aches and a low-grade fever.  At the time, I was still a little confused about Covid symptoms, but a few weeks later, I began to wonder if I had had it!    But I sleep close to my dh and sit close to him and share his air often 😄  -- so I'm sure if I had it, he would have gotten it too, and he never had any symptoms at all.  So, I'm quite certain it wasn't Covid but who knows what it was -- just my body fighting something, possibly just allergies.  We're all a little paranoid now (rightly so!).  Your body is probably just fighting some random thing and will be okay in a few days.  BUT,  I'd still take precautions and stay away from your dh, and be tested if you can.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

It's not hard to pick thing's up.  I've had many "run-of-the-mill" viruses I've no idea where or how I picked it up.  even my "eye infection from hades" (my health has never been the same in  25 years.)  I can only suspect I picked up at a drinking fountain at seatac.

8 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

I don’t think I have anything auto-immune going on. I’m not even sure what I would be looking for. 

Any kind of joint aches/swelling/redness, unusual/unexplained fatigue, or brain fog that's been going on for awhile are probably the most common things you'd have noticed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I was just talking to my Dh and mentioned you and the fever and he immediately said anxiety can cause fevers.  I confirmed it   https://www.healthline.com/health/can-stress-make-you-sick  I am wondering if the lack of sleep combined with General Covid anxiety may have elevated your temp.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Catwoman said:

Yesterday around dinner time, I started getting chills and feeling very tired, so I decided to take my temperature as a precaution. It was over 99, which is high for me because my normal temp is pretty low. Anyway, the chills went away after a little while, but my temperature was fluctuating all night long. The highest it went was 101, and it averaged between 100 and 100.4 (I think — I didn’t write it down.) It didn’t stay at 101 for very long. I didn’t take any Tylenol to reduce the fever because it was low and I felt okay. 

This morning, my temperature was 100.4 at around 8:30am and it has inched down from there to 99.1, where it is right now. 

I am, of course, panicked that I might have Covid. 😞 

We haven’t gone anywhere since the end of February, except for occasional curbside pickups at the grocery store where I get out of the car and load it up — but there are never other people near me when I do it, and I always wear an N95 mask with a surgical mask layered over it, and I use nitrile gloves and a ton of hand sanitizer. I usually sanitize all of the groceries, but I forgot to sanitize the box of cake mix I used on the 6th, and I forgot to wear my mask when I sanitized some groceries late last week. I am careful with the mail, but I occasionally open something without a mask. But that’s IT. Nothing else.

I feel like the odds of it being Covid are very low... but the odds of my having caught anything at all should be incredibly low, too, given all of the crazy precautions I take. My dh and ds have even less exposure than I do, so there is no way I contracted anything from them.

Right now, the low fever is my only real symptom, although I am vaguely headachey. (I get migraines anyway, so being nervous about this could easily trigger a headache.) I do feel very tired, but I haven’t gotten much sleep in several days.

Anyway, sorry to ramble on and on, but does anyone have any ideas of what could cause a fever in someone who hasn’t been exposed to anyone who might have been sick? I’m grasping at straws here!

I have quarantined myself in a bedroom and am treating this as though it’s Covid, because I don’t want anyone else to get sick. I am taking Vitamin D and Vitamin K and I am starting to take a Twinlabs women’s formula multivitamin. I have also been using zinc lozenges. Things taste a little weird, but I always get that from the zinc, so it’s not a loss of taste issue, and I can definitely smell all of the Lysol that has been sprayed all over the house. 

What would you do if you thought there was a possibility you had contracted Covid? I know @Pen and several other people have discussed protocols they would follow if they thought they had it, but I am too tired to go back through the giant Covid threads to find the info. I can order anything I need from Amazon or from places like Vitamin Shoppe that have curbside pickup. 

Oh, and I also started using one of those incentive spirometer things that we already had in the house, and I also have a pulse oximeter. So far, so good with that! Additionally, I’d heard that laying down in the prone position is good to do, so I did that for an hour this morning and will keep changing my positions and try to move around and take a lot of deep breaths. The prone position is hard because it hurts my back, but I’m doing it anyway. If there are other activities/positions/breathing exercises I should be trying, please let me know. 

I am trying my best to be proactive, just in case! 

One last thing — how many days should I wait before I get tested? I know there are a lot of false negatives and I have heard that testing too soon might lead to an inaccurate result, so I’m wondering how long I should wait, and if any specific test is supposed to be the most accurate.

If you have made it this far and are still reading, could you please pray for my dh and my ds20, that they stay healthy? I’m so worried about them!

I hate being scared. 

It does seem unlikely that you would have anything contagious given how careful you are being.  Are you in a wildfire or hurricane etc area?  Could you have a bacterial infection (such as bladder etc ) causing fever? 

For the part directed to me on supplements, I am not advising you, but I would personally take a large bolus dose of D (like 50,000 IU plus extra K2, 10,000 IU of A, and some vitamin E ); magnesium possibly as Epsom salt bath or else oral or skin lotion or combination; Selenium, Vitamin C to tolerance, Quercitin with bromelain ~ 500 mg of Q twice per day; along with perhaps 75mg zinc separated into a few doses during day, if I could tolerate that much, and N Acetyl Cysteine (NAC), and B complex vitamins. The last two are useful both for immunity / lung support and also stress. B1 may be especially helpful re CV19 and B2 for headaches. 

For breathing I would follow a Patrick McKeown YouTube video on exactly how to breathe 

the image below is Dr Zelenko ‘s protocol for symptomatic CV19 at home.

Here is a link to Dr Marik’s MATH protocol: https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/internal_medicine/Marik-Covid-Protocol-Summary.pdf

0012289B-8AFA-41B8-8DBE-296B04967A1D.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Adding:

the number 1 cut off from Zelenko protocol protocol above was iirc HYDRATION.  Be sure to keep fluids and hydration good. 

I would take a large bolus D3 dose in addition to daily 4-5000 IU and if I had not been already optimized on D might even take the bolus Vitamin D3 twice toward start of illness. 

Zinc needs an ionophore, so either Quercitin or EGCG. Quercitin needs C (which is also helpful in itself) and also needs something like Bromelain to be able to be absorbed (or possibly to be in EMIQ form).   I see that Zelenko raises Quercitin to 500 mg 3x per day if there are symptoms.  I would do that.  Marik’s dosage for zinc is 75-100 mg and I would do that if I could tolerate it. Zelenko has it at only 50mg and that is probably more like what I could personally tolerate . 

(I also personally would take some lung support herbs. You might be able to order a ready made combo from Woodland Essence or First Chinese Herbs. Or from Green Pharmacy. (IME  It’s ghastly expensive, but NutraMedix also has good products.  ) 

And I might use some herbal antibiotics as well. Lots of olive oil, oregano, rosemary, ginger, cinnamon worked into foods, garlic maybe. 

Apples, citrus fruits, broccoli...  oily fish or fish oil... 

And probably coconut oil. ) 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much, @Pen!

I’m sure I don’t have a bladder infection. We’re not in a wildfire or hurricane area, either. I am stumped!

Is Now a good brand of the Quercetin with bromelain? This one has 800mg of Quercetin: https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Supplements-Quercetin-Bromelain-Capsules/dp/B002JNK8EY/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1A3QRDDF0W0OM&dchild=1&keywords=quercetin+with+bromelain&qid=1599932741&sprefix=Querc%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-6

There is also something called BestVite brand, but I have never heard of it. https://www.amazon.com/Quercetin-Bromelain-Vegetarian-Capsules-Bioflavanoids/dp/B007G42A2Y/ref=sr_1_15?crid=1A3QRDDF0W0OM&dchild=1&keywords=quercetin+with+bromelain&qid=1599932741&sprefix=Querc%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-15

And there is this one with turmeric: https://www.amazon.com/Bioperine-Occasional-Supplement-Antioxidant-Inflammatory/dp/B07PVJ4V7B/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1A3QRDDF0W0OM&dchild=1&keywords=quercetin+with+bromelain&qid=1599932741&sprefix=Querc%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-11

There are so many to choose from! If possible, I want one that I can get delivered tomorrow from Amazon so dh won’t have to go to Vitamin Shoppe.

3 minutes ago, Ali in OR said:

Your body is fighting something. I would nap, stay in bed, try not to worry too much about WHAT it's fighting, and let it work on healing. Drink lots of water too. Then nap some more.

Thanks, Ali — I am mostly worried because my dh is so high risk for Covid. He has serious risk factors, including being immunosuppressed. He is also in a higher risk age group.

• Like 1

Just now, Catwoman said:

Thanks, Ali — I am mostly worried because my dh is so high risk for Covid. He has serious risk factors, including being immunosuppressed. He is also in a higher risk age group.

I understand. Sounds like you're doing all you can to protect him. I agree with you that I'd look into testing Monday or Tuesday if it still seems suspicious then. Praying you'll be feeling better soon and that no one (including you) has or will get Covid.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Thanks so much, @Pen!

I’m sure I don’t have a bladder infection. We’re not in a wildfire or hurricane area, either. I am stumped!

Is Now a good brand of the Quercetin with bromelain? This one has 800mg of Quercetin: https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Supplements-Quercetin-Bromelain-Capsules/dp/B002JNK8EY/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1A3QRDDF0W0OM&dchild=1&keywords=quercetin+with+bromelain&qid=1599932741&sprefix=Querc%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-6

There is also something called BestVite brand, but I have never heard of it. https://www.amazon.com/Quercetin-Bromelain-Vegetarian-Capsules-Bioflavanoids/dp/B007G42A2Y/ref=sr_1_15?crid=1A3QRDDF0W0OM&dchild=1&keywords=quercetin+with+bromelain&qid=1599932741&sprefix=Querc%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-15

And there is this one with turmeric: https://www.amazon.com/Bioperine-Occasional-Supplement-Antioxidant-Inflammatory/dp/B07PVJ4V7B/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1A3QRDDF0W0OM&dchild=1&keywords=quercetin+with+bromelain&qid=1599932741&sprefix=Querc%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-11

There are so many to choose from! If possible, I want one that I can get delivered tomorrow from Amazon so dh won’t have to go to Vitamin Shoppe.

I have that NOW one (and also one as EMIQ from Solaray ) 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

It makes sense that you're worried! I think (someone else can say) the stats are good on the rest of the family not getting it if you isolate, wear a mask around them, etc. I will tell you my dd got a fever a while back, got all worried, and within say 36 hours it was gone. So I think unless you're so concerned that you think you ought to be somewhere ELSE (due to your dh's susceptibility), I think like the others said you can ride it out, rest, let it become obvious whether you need to test or whether it's going away. 

Truthfully, the stats for positivity rates are SO LOW that I think it's pretty common to be worried you have it and you don't. 

As for where you got sick, well my dd got sick with something this summer while with us and I'm not even sure how as she hadn't been going out a lot. Ds and I got it from her, which was kind of aggravating. It passed pretty quickly, so I think it was just some kind of summer time bug. But within a day or two it was pretty obvious it was moving on. So hopefully it will be that way for you too. 

• Like 1

Be kind to yourself; that you are carefully checking is proof you are not an idiot. 

I agree with the others that it seems less likely to be Covid than an infection. I would keep checking O2, record temps and see what happens in a day or two. I agree with the strategy of keeping yourself separate from vulnerable family members for now. 

• Like 3

Btw My nephew had confirmed CV19 and using isolation, masks, hygiene,  no one else in his family got it.   I would use all of that to reduce chance of spread to your family if it is CV19, or also to reduce viral load .  And probably would help reduce likelihood of them catching it if it’s any other respiratory virus too. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I guess I forgot to give the usual “if it were me I would ...” preface.

Being “optimized for vitamin D” may mean different things for different people. But it is pretty basic that not having correct D level is associated with poor health in many ways. 

3 minutes ago, Dobby's Sock said:

Given's CatHub's history, I think that is something best left to their doctor to work out. It's meant well, but pretty reckless advice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pam in CT said:

Make sure you can differentiate and identify them -- not *all* COVID-positive people lose their sense of smell, but if you *have* lost yours, that is a strong indication that IMO would warrant immediate testing.

I agree it would warrant further testing, but not panic - I have lost my sense of smell several times in my life from regular sinus infections. (I actually threw away a tub of vapor rub thinking it has "gone bad" because it had zero smell. Then opened a new tub and it didn't have a smell either...at which point I realized the problem was ME, not the vapor rub, lol) But imagine sticking your nose right in a tub of vapor rub and smelling NOTHING! Not covid - just sinus infection. 

Now that you mention it, I did have a bad sinus infection last year where I felt awful and I ended up needing antibiotics. I don’t have any real sinus symptoms now, though. 

They can be tricky - sometimes I get them without a stuffy nose!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Pen said:

I’d try to get your husband optimized on D and on a “prophylaxis” protocol right now also. 

3 minutes ago, Dobby's Sock said:

Given's CatHub's history, I think that is something best left to their doctor to work out. It's meant well, but pretty reckless advice.

Fortunately, the last time my dh had his bloodwork done, I insisted that they test his vitamin D levels, and they are excellent. I was so relieved!

We will definitely talk to his transplant coordinator before he takes anything other than standard supplements that we already know are safe for him. It’s weird, because sometimes things that seem so normal are a bad idea, yet other things I would have thought would be nixed, turn out to be fine!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

I guess I forgot to give the usual “if it were me I would ...” preface.

Being “optimized for vitamin D” may mean different things for different people. But it is pretty basic that not having correct D level is associated with poor health in many ways. 

That’s ok, Pen — I know that was what you meant, and that everyone is just trying to be helpful.  🙂 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ktgrok said:

I agree it would warrant further testing, but not panic - I have lost my sense of smell several times in my life from regular sinus infections. (I actually threw away a tub of vapor rub thinking it has "gone bad" because it had zero smell. Then opened a new tub and it didn't have a smell either...at which point I realized the problem was ME, not the vapor rub, lol) But imagine sticking your nose right in a tub of vapor rub and smelling NOTHING! Not covid - just sinus infection. 

They can be tricky - sometimes I get them without a stuffy nose!

When you don’t smell Vicks, that’s saying something!!! 😁

19 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

It makes sense that you're worried! I think (someone else can say) the stats are good on the rest of the family not getting it if you isolate, wear a mask around them, etc. I will tell you my dd got a fever a while back, got all worried, and within say 36 hours it was gone. So I think unless you're so concerned that you think you ought to be somewhere ELSE (due to your dh's susceptibility), I think like the others said you can ride it out, rest, let it become obvious whether you need to test or whether it's going away. 

Truthfully, the stats for positivity rates are SO LOW that I think it's pretty common to be worried you have it and you don't. 

As for where you got sick, well my dd got sick with something this summer while with us and I'm not even sure how as she hadn't been going out a lot. Ds and I got it from her, which was kind of aggravating. It passed pretty quickly, so I think it was just some kind of summer time bug. But within a day or two it was pretty obvious it was moving on. So hopefully it will be that way for you too. 

Thanks! That’s very encouraging!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Pen said:

I have that NOW one (and also one as EMIQ from Solaray ) 

19 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

And yeah, just me but I usually stick with the more mainstream brands like NOW, Solgar, Nature's Way, Jarrow, Solaray. Some of those weird pop up brands on amazon are pretty sketchy. My dd was taking some stuff for a while and getting no results. I would just stick with normal brands.

I just ordered the Now brand. I wish it was a smaller bottle, but I’ll take what I can get!

• Like 2

Hugs!

Do what you’re doing: 

Isolate

Check your temp, o2, and sense of smell and record them a couple/few times a day

If you’re not feeling better by Wed, get tested.  It’ll have been 4 days by then and maybe the test will be more accurate.  (Someone else correct me if 4 days is too soon.)

Take your supplements

Drink a lot

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1