Menu

UPDATED (finally!) AT END OF THREAD — DR HIVE — Help! I have a fever and I’m scared!

Catwoman

I would go and get the Covid test if it’s available.  Hopefully it’s not but it would set your mind at rest I think.  

it could also be staph, strep etc.  My ds had school sores a couple of springs running and I learned from the doctor that around 30pc of people carry the bacteria in the nose all the time but don’t get problems with it, it’s just if there’s a break in the skin and they’re a bit run down that it can turn nasty.  His outbreak occurred consistently in spring at the same time as really bad hay fever so I think when his immune system was already under stress it would break out.

anyway, i would also probably consider starting the math plus protocol for yourself and dh and go get yourself tested so you know for sure.  Here in Aus if you can’t effectively self isolate at home you can pay to go to hotel quarantine.  I’m not sure if that’s an option for you there but if you are positive and can afford it it might be worth pursuing.

17 minutes ago, BlsdMama said:

Do you not want to take the Covid test? I would... Negative or positive provides information that could prove valuable.  

I think it’s still too soon to take a Covid test, because I have heard there are a lot of false negatives if you test too soon. 

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

I would go and get the Covid test if it’s available.  Hopefully it’s not but it would set your mind at rest I think.  

it could also be staph, strep etc.  My ds had school sores a couple of springs running and I learned from the doctor that around 30pc of people carry the bacteria in the nose all the time but don’t get problems with it, it’s just if there’s a break in the skin and they’re a bit run down that it can turn nasty.  His outbreak occurred consistently in spring at the same time as really bad hay fever so I think when his immune system was already under stress it would break out.

anyway, i would also probably consider starting the math plus protocol for yourself and dh and go get yourself tested so you know for sure.  Here in Aus if you can’t effectively self isolate at home you can pay to go to hotel quarantine.  I’m not sure if that’s an option for you there but if you are positive and can afford it it might be worth pursuing.

Thanks! I’m hoping it will turn out to be a sinus infection. It seems far more likely than Covid, but these days, it’s hard not to feel paranoid at the first sign of a symptom! 

I’m following as many of @Pen‘s suggestions on the protocol, but my dh is high risk and immunosuppressed, so we need to speak with his transplant coordinator to see what he is allowed to take. We can’t take a chance on anything interacting with his medications or causing a problem with his liver.

Fortunately, I can easily self-isolate at home, so I don’t need to leave the house to keep my family from being exposed.  My main concern is that, if this does turn out to be Covid, I may have been contagious for the past few days; we have been hanging out together as a family and I have been cooking all of the meals, etc.

• Like 2

Just now, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/internal_medicine/EVMS_Critical_Care_COVID-19_Protocol.pdf

math+ protocol - I’m not sure if this is the same as linked by @Pen so apologies if I’m doubling up.  Pg5 has the stuff for at home care.

Thank you! I’ll check it right now to see if it’s the same protocol. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Catwoman said:

Thanks! I’m hoping it will turn out to be a sinus infection. It seems far more likely than Covid, but these days, it’s hard not to feel paranoid at the first sign of a symptom! 

I’m following as many of @Pen‘s suggestions on the protocol, but my dh is high risk and immunosuppressed, so we need to speak with his transplant coordinator to see what he is allowed to take. We can’t take a chance on anything interacting with his medications or causing a problem with his liver.

Fortunately, I can easily self-isolate at home, so I don’t need to leave the house to keep my family from being exposed.  My main concern is that, if this does turn out to be Covid, I may have been contagious for the past few days; we have been hanging out together as a family and I have been cooking all of the meals, etc.

There does seem to be a huge number of households where it doesn’t spread at all among family members.  Hopefully given you’ve been so careful you will all be ok.  Thoughts with you and your fam.

• Thanks 1

Praying for it to be something minor, for you to feel better soon, and for your family to stay healthy. 

Agreeing with the others that it seems very unlikely you could have caught it with how careful you’ve been. You are wise to take precautions, and to keep monitoring yourself. 
Sounds like you’re doing all the right things.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Bootsie said:

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but in Texas there have been cases of West Nile. My sister's boss was running a fever and not feeling well but was testing negative for COVID; she has West Nile.  

Thank you, Bootsie! I hadn’t even thought of West Nile, but I was recently bitten by what I think were mosquitos and the bites took way longer than usual to stop itching, and my leg got quite swollen near the site of the bites. They are all healed up now, though, and have been for several days.

Hmmmmm....

It doesn’t look like there have been any human cases in our area this year, though, but it’s still something to think about, especially because the timing seems right, and also because most cases are mild so people probably never bother to go to the doctor for it. Also, mosquitoes in our area have tested positive.

Thank you for mentioning this, because it never would have occurred to me!

Edited by Catwoman
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.evms.edu/media/evms_public/departments/internal_medicine/EVMS_Critical_Care_COVID-19_Protocol.pdf

math+ protocol - I’m not sure if this is the same as linked by @Pen so apologies if I’m doubling up.  Pg5 has the stuff for at home care.

You linked the full long version.  I linked the short version.  (Both are good to have.) there may be differences in melatonin dosage — and the long one recommends aspirin which the short I think does not. Some other sources think it’s better to allow body to have fever, though anticoagulant and perhaps antiviral aspects of aspirin are separate matters.   

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I hate being scared! I hope you are able to rest and relax. My ds7 ran a fever for over a week this month. I posted about it here because I was getting a little worried. I thought the same as you-he hasn’t been anywhere, how did he get any virus? His Covid test came back negative and he is fine now. I still don’t really know how he got sick, but he did. My Dh still works out of the house, so maybe he brought something home that didn’t make him sick? I don’t know. It was so weird. 

I hope you feel better soon and you are able to rest.

4 hours ago, Catwoman said:

Thank you, Bootsie! I hadn’t even thought of West Nile, but I was recently bitten by what I think were mosquitos and the bites took way longer than usual to stop itching, and my leg got quite swollen near the site of the bites. They are all healed up now, though, and have been for several days.

Hmmmmm....

It doesn’t look like there have been any human cases in our area this year, though, but it’s still something to think about, especially because the timing seems right, and also because most cases are mild so people probably never bother to go to the doctor for it. Also, mosquitoes in our area have tested positive.

Thank you for mentioning this, because it never would have occurred to me!

Since you did get some type of bite recently, hopefully it is just some type of reaction to that and not serious.  I have had reactions and run fever from flea bites before.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks so much, @Pen!

I’m sure I don’t have a bladder infection. We’re not in a wildfire or hurricane area, either. I am stumped!

Is Now a good brand of the Quercetin with bromelain? This one has 800mg of Quercetin: https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Supplements-Quercetin-Bromelain-Capsules/dp/B002JNK8EY/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1A3QRDDF0W0OM&dchild=1&keywords=quercetin+with+bromelain&qid=1599932741&sprefix=Querc%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-6

There is also something called BestVite brand, but I have never heard of it. https://www.amazon.com/Quercetin-Bromelain-Vegetarian-Capsules-Bioflavanoids/dp/B007G42A2Y/ref=sr_1_15?crid=1A3QRDDF0W0OM&dchild=1&keywords=quercetin+with+bromelain&qid=1599932741&sprefix=Querc%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-15

And there is this one with turmeric: https://www.amazon.com/Bioperine-Occasional-Supplement-Antioxidant-Inflammatory/dp/B07PVJ4V7B/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1A3QRDDF0W0OM&dchild=1&keywords=quercetin+with+bromelain&qid=1599932741&sprefix=Querc%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-11

There are so many to choose from! If possible, I want one that I can get delivered tomorrow from Amazon so dh won’t have to go to Vitamin Shoppe.

Catwoman, here are some ideas just for you, not your husband. (Btw, if his vitamind D levels are optimal, that is great!)

We're taking the Now brand of quercetin and bromelain. Quercetin is also found in onions and apples with the highest concentration being in the outer layers, particularly the skin. Red onions are especially high in quercetin. So, eat those if you like them!

If you want to take turmeric, the Thorne Meriva brand is used in many research trials. The quality is pretty consistent.

If you can get vitamin C as ascorbic acid, that would be great but if not, don't worry about it. Vitamin C IVs are being used in a lot of hospitals in China to treat Covid patients. IVs of Vitamin C, B1 (thiamine) and hydrocortisone have been shown to reduce cytokine storms in two human studies here in the US. For Covid, dexamethasone would be used in place of hydrocortisone. The B1 (thiamine) helps to prevent the (low) possibility of oxalate accumulating in the kidneys. More about that here. Since you don't want to be exposed to other people, you could try taking 1 gram of vitamin C every 1-3 hours until you have loose stools (you don't want to get too crazy!). Add a daily B1 like BenfoMax by Pure Encapsulations if you like which you'd take with meals.

Magnesium and potassium are two nutrients that are necessary for hundreds of bodily processes. Magnesium is used to make vitamin D which is looking pretty important in preventing severe cases of Covid. Ideally, you'd want to eat a diet that's high in both and maybe you are. (It's easy to track using the app Cronometer.) But if you are low in either, Pure Encapsulations makes a good supplement. I take one of these calcium + magnesium capsules per day as well as this if I haven't eaten enough magnesium foods that day. Potassium I get through diet -- coconut water and tomato juice, squash, etc.

Two other supplements that you might want to consider taking: Avmocal Immune for myrosinase which converts to sulforaphane which then, among other things, appears to prevent virus replication through the nrf2 pathway (so might be helpful in preventing or mitigating Covid); Agarikon mushroom extract which is being studied for its anti-viral properties, particularly small pox! Host Defense is mushroom researcher Paul Stamet's site. They are transitioning to a new warehouse so you might have to go through Amazon to get it. Avmocal is used by researcher Jed Fahey at Johns Hopkins to study the effects of sulforaphane.

Two trustworthy makers of supplements are Pure Encapsulations and Thorne. There are others, too, but if I definitely need something reliable, those are the two I use.

Anyway, hope you feel better soon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2020 at 10:40 AM, BeachGal said:

Quercetin is also found in onions and apples with the highest concentration being in the outer layers, particularly the skin.

I love onions and eat them frequently, but they're usually cooked. Do you know if that affects the quercetin?

Edited by wilrunner
  • Like 2

I don't know how I missed this yesterday, but I am so sorry to hear that you are unwell. I know it must be extra scary with the issues facing your husband. I don't have any guidance, beyond anything others have suggested. Just know that my thoughts are with you and  your family right now.

• Thanks 1

On 9/12/2020 at 12:50 PM, Catwoman said:

Thanks so much, @Pen!

I’m sure I don’t have a bladder infection. We’re not in a wildfire or hurricane area, either. I am stumped!

Is Now a good brand of the Quercetin with bromelain? This one has 800mg of Quercetin: https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Supplements-Quercetin-Bromelain-Capsules/dp/B002JNK8EY/ref=sr_1_6?crid=1A3QRDDF0W0OM&dchild=1&keywords=quercetin+with+bromelain&qid=1599932741&sprefix=Querc%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-6

There is also something called BestVite brand, but I have never heard of it. https://www.amazon.com/Quercetin-Bromelain-Vegetarian-Capsules-Bioflavanoids/dp/B007G42A2Y/ref=sr_1_15?crid=1A3QRDDF0W0OM&dchild=1&keywords=quercetin+with+bromelain&qid=1599932741&sprefix=Querc%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-15

And there is this one with turmeric: https://www.amazon.com/Bioperine-Occasional-Supplement-Antioxidant-Inflammatory/dp/B07PVJ4V7B/ref=sr_1_11?crid=1A3QRDDF0W0OM&dchild=1&keywords=quercetin+with+bromelain&qid=1599932741&sprefix=Querc%2Caps%2C195&sr=8-11

There are so many to choose from! If possible, I want one that I can get delivered tomorrow from Amazon so dh won’t have to go to Vitamin Shoppe.

Hi Catwoman! I'm so sorry you're feeling cruddy.  Honestly, it really doesn't take much for some people to catch it.  I know two older couples who've gotten sick, just one of the pair in each case!, and both couples were very well tucked away from exposure. 

EMIQ  quercitrin is a more absorbable form, found on Amazon.  It won't hurt you, and since you are sick, I'd take 4 caps daily.  Also CoQ10 (ubiquinol, 300mg daily) also a good regenerator of anti-oxidants.  100mg of thiamine (B1) in split doses daily, since that is a good intervention in bradykinin dysregulation;  lysine (I don't have a therpeutic dosage); make sure your diet in low in arginine; melatonin; and finally liposomal Vit C,  about 4K mg every three hours.  (That's high absorption Vit C, and it's a therapeutic dosage, similar philosophically to Dr. Marik's IV Vit C.   If you Amazon Prime or Amazon Fresh those supplements, by the time you finish the bottle of liposomal Vit C, you'll either be much better or know you have COVID, and those supplements can only help.  

Do you have a doc who can treat you for COVID19 if it turns out to be that?  If not, I'll PM you a telemed source. 

Edited by Halftime Hope
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, mumto2 said:

Wondering how you are feeling today?  

3 hours ago, melmichigan said:

I hope you are feeling better today.  

Sorry I haven’t been around today — it was Internet problems, not illness! I felt better by late today and my temperature is still right around 99, so I’m hoping I’m on the mend. I’m going to call my regular doctor tomorrow and see what he thinks. I’ll post an update as soon as I have more info.

Thanks so much to all of you for helping me work through this. If not for my dh being so high risk, this wouldn’t have even been a blip on my radar, but with all of the Covid panic, it’s hard not to think of the worst possible scenario.

• Like 17

23 hours ago, wilrunner2 said:

I love onions and eat them frequently, but they're usually cooked. Do you know if that affects the quercetin?

Different methods of cooking do affect quercetin in onions. A low temp saute would be better than a high temp but don't worry about it because the loss is really not that significant. If you were to brown them, and then boil them in broth to make soup, the quercetin will remain in the broth.

Capers are an even better source of quercetin, so go ahead and eat a lot if you like them.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2020 at 6:00 PM, Bootsie said:

I don't know what part of the country you are in, but in Texas there have been cases of West Nile. My sister's boss was running a fever and not feeling well but was testing negative for COVID; she has West Nile.  

I keep hearing on the news that more and more mosquito traps in our area have tested positive for West Nile :(

• Thanks 1

On 9/17/2020 at 11:35 AM, PrairieSong said:

How are you doing? I hope you're better and that it wasn't COVID.

On 9/17/2020 at 12:11 PM, Seasider too said:

Wondering here, too. Hope all is well!

Sorry I haven’t been back to update. I have been having trouble staying logged on to the forum, and I finally gave up completely for a few days. I think it’s back to normal now.

Update:  The doctor was 100% positive it wasn’t Covid. We talked at length about the insane levels of precaution I have been taking and the minor symptoms I was having, and she said there was just no way it was Covid. So... YAY!!!

Personally, I am still wondering about that weird bite, and after @Bootsie suggested West Nile Virus, I checked the symptoms of a mild case, and they matched mine very closely, so who knows???

Also, thanks to @Farrar, I realized that the weird bite might have been a tick bite, so I had the doctor prescribe a 28 day course of doxycycline as a precaution. I can’t believe I hadn’t thought of Lyme before Farrar mentioned it, because I have already had Lyme three separate times, and one of those times, I was ill and on medications for about 2 1/2 years. But, DUH! All I could think of was Covid. I’m so glad I posted here and got all of your opinions. You were all so helpful when I was so scared, and I really appreciate it!!! 

• Like 41

• Catwoman changed the title to UPDATED (finally!) AT END OF THREAD — DR HIVE — Help! I have a fever and I’m scared!
2 hours ago, mommyoffive said:

Good news it wasn't covid.  I missed the part about a bite.  Ugh.  I didn't know fever was a symptom of lyme.    The only thing I know is rash.  Ugh I hate ticks.  

One of my boys had Lyme quite awhile back and he had the full presentation. Fever, chills, vomiting... and the rash. Not everyone gets all of them, but they're all part of the initial disease. If anyone else sees a tick bite or knows you're exposed to ticks but no rash and then gets a mystery fever, then if you're in a Lyme endemic area, it's a very good guess and a good doc may give you the abx just in case.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Farrar said:

One of my boys had Lyme quite awhile back and he had the full presentation. Fever, chills, vomiting... and the rash. Not everyone gets all of them, but they're all part of the initial disease. If anyone else sees a tick bite or knows you're exposed to ticks but no rash and then gets a mystery fever, then if you're in a Lyme endemic area, it's a very good guess and a good doc may give you the abx just in case.

Yup. I don’t mess around with that anymore, since I have been through hell with it for one kid, halfway to hell with the second kid, and by the third kid, I go straight to prophylactic treatment. 

All of us have had Lyme. Even my dog had it. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1