Menu

I started a youtube channel - anyone else have one?

ktgrok

So cool! When I'm on my personal account I'll subscribe for sure. 

Currently setting up 2 Youtube accounts for business. Hopefully will have them up and starting a regular posting next month or so. (So if you like fonts or composing music, hit me up and I'll send links to the freshest bestest content on the subjects, lol. Assuming I ever start working instead of visiting the board...)

• Haha 1

sort of, yes, but not really. 

When we had to go digital in the spring, I set up a private youtube channel so I could post videos for my classes. I'm not brave enough to make them public though. They are out there but unlisted, so you can't find them, unless I give you the direct link to each video (even having the link to one won't, I think, let you get to the rest). 

But if ever you need a video on how to make a shadow puppet theater, or how to make a felt model of a flower, or assorted math and language topics for K/1st graders, or "this is what TheReader looks like in her face mask & shield combo, see how non-scary it is?" or anything like that, let me know 😉  Or assorted "umm, so, if that had worked correctly, what would have happened was......" science experiments, too.....ha! I am nothing if not real. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

So fun, Katie!

p.s. I'll have to send a link to my mom and say, "This is my forum friend who thinks you should try an Anglican church!" 🙂 I think I talk about all of you almost as much as I talk about my in-person friends. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, domestic_engineer said:

Wow!  Nice!  I’m curious.... why did you start a YouTube channel?  Are you hoping to start a stream of income or are you just documenting your journey or ....?  Like PP, I’m allergic to that kind of hard work. 

I don't really know, lol? Can I blame ADHD? Income would be nice, but I don't have high hopes of that. Would love to share what we do, maybe it's a desperate attempt for outside validation, lol?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Love it.  Your homeschooling looks so fun.  You have such a nice calming voice.  I can't wait to watch what you guys do all year.  Love the name of your channel too.

Ha! that's how you know youtube is "just the highlights", lol. No yelling 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, WendyAndMilo said:

I've thought about it - there aren't many single working moms homeschooling.....but then again, I'm a single working homeschooling mom so when on earth would I have the time? 😉 😄 

I won't lie, it has cut into my sleep a few nights, lol. But the editing is getting easier. (and better, i hope)

4 minutes ago, Medicmom2.0 said:

I have to make one for a technology curriculum and design class, but I totally haven’t yet. I’m going to try some Instagram videos this week for fun.

I subscribed.  I think you should do homeschool ASMR; because that’s something I need in my life.

I have tried to explain ASMR to my husband and he thinks I'm crazy. I explained it as goosebumps on the inside of my head - somehow that didn't help. It was only a few years ago I learned it had a name, and not everyone experienced it. (it's more motions for me than sound...antique's roadshow, where they use that wooden pointer thing to point at and ALMOST but not quite touch things...that totally does it for me)

• Like 1

I haven’t even touched my blog in nearly 4 years. The last thing on it was my youngest birth announcement.  I can’t think what I would put on the blog or YouTube that anyone would want to see or hear.

i liked your good and beautiful set up. *Sigh* I wish there was a Catholic version. My husband designs curriculum for a living and every year I ask why he doesn’t use his skills to make a new catholic home school program.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Teaching3bears said:

Congrats! I'd like to have one but I don't think I have the time. How long are you spending editing, etc.? Is there a big learning curve?

The hardest part so far was figuring out how to get the videos into imovie, lol. I usually just google anything I can't figure out (oddly often the answer is to reboot the computer and open imovie again, lol) but my DH knows a bit more than I do so I can ask him as well. He makes WAY fancier stuff than me though - very professional looking. I am not trying for that, so sometimes asking him isn't the best option...his answers are overkill for vlog style stuff. 

4 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I haven’t even touched my blog in nearly 4 years. The last thing on it was my youngest birth announcement.  I can’t think what I would put on the blog or YouTube that anyone would want to see or hear.

i liked your good and beautiful set up. *Sigh* I wish there was a Catholic version. My husband designs curriculum for a living and every year I ask why he doesn’t use his skills to make a new catholic home school program.

There is definitely a need! Something less workbooky than Seton, more open and go than say, Connecting with History. A Catholic science program would be amazing...something not Seton, lol. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

I can’t think what I would put on the blog or YouTube that anyone would want to see or hear

There is an audience for *everything*.
I’m one of the people who watches other people clean their houses. I also sometimes watch people lay vinyl plank flooring, even though we’ve already done most of our house in it already. There’s probably a good chance that some people actually do watch paint dry. Your people are out there, somewhere.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Carrie12345 said:

I’m one of the people who watches other people clean their houses. I also sometimes watch people lay vinyl plank flooring, even though we’ve already done most of our house in it already. There’s probably a good chance that some people actually do watch paint dry. Your people are out there, somewhere.

This!!! My kids once walked in on me watching a video and said, "Mom...you are LITERALLY watching grass grow." And...I was! And I enjoyed it!

My kids have watched other kids clean under their beds, which I'd make fun of if I hadn't watched a woman clean her upholstery recently, lol.

But really - Honestly, Murphy, I'd love to get a peek into your life! You are one of the boardie I look up to as far as homeschooling/motherhood, so short of being able to come over for coffee, seeing you on a youtube video would be the next best thing. 

• Like 4

I have plans to start a youtube channel or a podcast, but I'm not nearly ready yet.

I would like to talk about literature in a way that can be used to teach high school (geared at homeschoolers, of course).  I've been working on content first before I start filming and begging dh to edit.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Dotwithaperiod said:

Well I’m loooonnngg past the homeschooling days, but you’ve got some of the cutest kids! 

Thank you!

They have the beginnings of their own channel - probably focusing on gluten free eating for kids. I'll share when it has a few videos ready to watch

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

There is definitely a need! Something less workbooky than Seton, more open and go than say, Connecting with History. A Catholic science program would be amazing...something not Seton, lol. 

LOL sooo you want more Seton, right? 😜
I would love to have an open and go program like Good and Beautiful that incorporates the things I love most about the Marie talks I use.  But it would be so expensive that I’m not sure I’d be able to sell it bc I’m thinking something between Oak Meadow and TG&B. And I don’t think I’d want to reinvent the wheel.  For example I think CHC’s ever ancient ever new art program is spectacularly well done.  It’s catholic, history, technique, quality of photos and variety of doable but not fluff projects within fairly short lessons is amazing.  I have not seen a better program and I’m not sure how I could improve on it.

The catholic textbook project history texts are truly excellently done but holy moly - they are just too intense even at spreading one text over 2 years. And there’s zero creative outlet for internalizing the content. 

Science has been the bane of my home school career. I’m never happy with programs. They are either boring as heck or way too teacher intensive or insanely expensive. Some even manage to be all 3. 

1 hour ago, Ktgrok said:

But really - Honestly, Murphy, I'd love to get a peek into your life! You are one of the boardie I look up to as far as homeschooling/motherhood, so short of being able to come over for coffee, seeing you on a youtube video would be the next best thing. 

ack!  The pressure!!

I’m so boring really.  Right now I’m being lazy in my PJs drinking coffee. One kid is playing Minecraft. Another is doing dishes. One is getting ready for work after signing up for my stitch fix referral credit. Another is using my iPad to thumb up/down her style quiz for her stitch fix.  2 are playing legos. One is scooping the cat box under duress. My husband went to a grown son’s apt with tools to help him change the battery in his car. It’s usually very quiet punctuated by me occasionally screaming up the stairs at someone to do whatever they should be doing that isn’t upstairs. College girl called me at 1am to chitchat. She didn’t realize it was so late and I didn’t tell her. She wanted to see what I got in my stitch fix before signing up and to vent stress about how the heck is she going to do studio art classes if they close down to online only programs. Hence it’s nearly 11 and I’m in PJs soaking up coffee as fast as possible. Another grown son is sending me pictures of his new coworker in his office - a new dog. And one grown son disowned everyone 7 months ago. 

That’s just about everything in my life today. Seems like it would be a super boring and not pretty video. 

dh just came back and I was telling him maybe I should make a YouTube channel for a peek into my life and he said in his best but still not great imitation, “They can’t handle the truth!”

😆Me either. 😬

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I subscribed, but I haven't had a chance to watch any videos yet, but I look forward to it.  I adore homeschool mom channels and I often wonder if any here had a channel.  I do not and will not.  I'm too shy.  Why would anyone want to hear me rattle on? lol What would they say about fill in the blank.  I can't handle criticism AT ALL so I'm not meant to be in the public at all.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

My fav part so far on the videos:

“uh yeah so just circle the vowels”

Even though I couldn’t see Katie’s face, I know exactly what mom-look she had in that tone. 

I almost edited that whole bit out - but I KNEW other homeschool moms would relate to that part, lol. 

And seriously kid...sigh. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

So this is the start of the kids' gluten free channel - so far just has one old video of I think pizza tasting, and a new super short 1 minute video about apple cider donuts my DD made with a Raddish Kids recipe. (and I swear her hair is wet, not greasy, lol)

Oh, and a random video of the baby of the family that one of them made that they didn't want to take down. 

Meanwhile, DH is working with DS7 to create a gaming channel. So far, struggling to record the audio of the game and him talking. 

For those of you doing this, how are you learning to edit? Are you just kind of doing it on your own and figuring out how to make what you imagine? Did you take a class or buy specific software? Did you watch youtube videos for tips?

eta: and how to make thumbnails, etc. 

Edited by Moonhawk
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

This!!! My kids once walked in on me watching a video and said, "Mom...you are LITERALLY watching grass grow." And...I was! And I enjoyed it!

My kids have watched other kids clean under their beds, which I'd make fun of if I hadn't watched a woman clean her upholstery recently, lol.

Me too!  Was it the gardening segment of Jessica & Tyler Braun's family vlogs?  I found those grass growing segments strangely calming.

13 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

My dh watches people bale hay. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Moonhawk said:

For those of you doing this, how are you "learning" to edit? Are you just kind of doing it on your own and figuring out how to make what you imagine? Did you take a class or buy specific software? Did you watch youtube videos for tips?

I have a macbook, which came with iMovie, so I use that. And some of it is pretty self explanatory, and the rest I google as I come to it. 

52 minutes ago, Katy said:

Me too!  Was it the gardening segment of Jessica & Tyler Braun's family vlogs?  I found those grass growing segments strangely calming.

No, it was on of the suprisingly large number of lawn care vloggers - time lapse of grass seed he'd planted growing. 

• Like 1

So, speaking of editing and such, my husband made this thumbnail and animated intro for my son's first video. It's ridiculous. (just watch the first few seconds to see the intro...the actual video is 30 plus minutes of gaming, and there is an echo because my son moved the microphone or something....DH has actually ordered a different set up to film for the future)

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2

On 9/5/2020 at 9:16 PM, Moonhawk said:

For those of you doing this, how are you learning to edit? Are you just kind of doing it on your own and figuring out how to make what you imagine? Did you take a class or buy specific software? Did you watch youtube videos for tips?

On mine, I used the photo/video software that came on my laptop (it's a Windows computer, so inside the Photo "app" is a video editing thing). So far I can do enough. 

Here's my Shadow Puppet Theater Production so you can see: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5QSAe8ia-E

The "turn a nail to copper" probably has more editing, but it's 15 mins long and, um, ha. I'll link it, but know this is one of my "well, that kind of worked..." science experiments....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEGjsP2sbx8

The little title cards are a function of the software, and then I can snip, clip, etc. and I can add a background soundtrack (but the one I have where I did that is a photo montage of the kids, so I can't post that one, but I was able to add in the sound-only from a clip of video where one of the kids was playing guitar for us on show & tell over zoom; I videoed the screen, uploaded the video, added it in as the audio track, and had her song play as the background music over and over and over again while the photos scrolled). All of this is stuff that the software just lets me do and wasn't too hard. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I don't know how to edit yet. I just posted this video on YouTube, but it is kind of out of context. I showed finished wreaths in the comment section where it was originally posted (my library's facebook page). I should have edited it to include finished wreath images. Oops. Maybe my son or dh can help me with that in the future. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNYWa70WBlk&t=2s

Nice!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, heartlikealion said:

I don't know how to edit yet. I just posted this video on YouTube, but it is kind of out of context. I showed finished wreaths in the comment section where it was originally posted (my library's facebook page). I should have edited it to include finished wreath images. Oops. Maybe my son or dh can help me with that in the future. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNYWa70WBlk&t=2s

editing is pretty easy and free using openshot.  My kids learned to do a pretty good job in a few hours. I like your video and agree the finished product would be great to see

1 minute ago, LMD said:

I like the idea of a podcast better. Anonymous voice vs not-flattering images 😄

I struggle with this a lot because I have a great idea for a youtube channel that I think could be valued by people but I can't get passed the needing to be on camera, which would be necessary for my idea.  Maybe some day.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, heartlikealion said:

Here’s what I ended up making after filming. 

3728C46E-811E-4687-90CC-F78E70E1A157.jpeg

Ooh! I like it!

1 hour ago, LMD said:

I like the idea of a podcast better. Anonymous voice vs not-flattering images 😄

Eta - just watched your binder/organising video and love it! Well done! Subscribed.

Thank you! 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I've also been thinking about creating a YouTube channel for a long time, I would add my video performances there.

While I'm just learning how to shoot and process video, I don't know if I'm ready for a larger audience, except for my friends, but I would still like to try.

Although the video processing is not very good, I don't understand anything about it and as for me, it turns out to be amateur filming.

Edited by BrianRameriz

On 9/5/2020 at 9:16 PM, Moonhawk said:

I was wondering the same thing!  Nice that you could learn/master something new this year!  We were talking about maybe doing this for work, but none of us has any idea how to do it.