• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ausmumof3

• Pen

• Arcadia

• Melissa Louise

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

The German Minister of Health is considering banning the export of masks and possible confiscation of stores of masks:

Is it not possible for the government to have first right to purchase stocks in a local epidemic, instead of confiscating? I think an export ban is legally possible.  

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ByeByeMartha said:

I don't think anybody or any parent is casual about spreading sickness around. 

In my area, homeschoolers are the worst with it.  And when a parent actually admits that they stayed home from something because they were feeling like they were getting sick or had a cold,  they are mocked. 

Edited by itsheresomewhere
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 2

24 minutes ago, MissLemon said:

Come to my town. Come to my homeschool group. They are casual about it.  You see sick kids at events all.the.time. I see sick parents at events, often handling food.  

I have pulled waaaay back from hanging out with homeschool families here because of the casual attitude toward illness. No one here stays home if they have a cold. When I say kiddo and I can't come because one of us is sick, I get "oh that's ok! We aren't germaphobes!"  What? No!

Same here.  We had one recently who just couldn’t miss the party but had a fever up to an hour before.  That poor kid looked miserable.  

• Like 2

From CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/us-mulls-using-sweeping-powers-to-ramp-up-production-of-12478364

“WASHINGTON: President Donald Trump's administration is considering invoking special powers through a law called the Defence Production Act to rapidly expand domestic production of protective masks and clothing to combat the coronavirus in the United States, two US officials told Reuters.

The use of the law, passed by Congress in 1950 at the outset of the Korean War, would mark an escalation of the administration's response to the outbreak. The virus first surfaced in China and has since spread to other countries including the United States.”

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, ByeByeMartha said:

I have to disagree. 

I recall a party at a relative’s house during which a young boy vomited everywhere. I cleaned it up. Boy’s parents kept the family at the party for several hours longer. Boy was miserable.

That same relative (guy who hosted the party) routinely has always kept his sick kids running around doing all their stuff. With fevers. With vomiting. With coughing and mucousy rhinitis. Encouraging them to take a little rest and just keep going. 😖

And I recall a friend who left her son at my house so she could go exercise. Son was producing copious amounts of icky green stuff, blowing his nose every few minutes. His mom said he “wasn’t really sick, just has to get his nose cleared out and he’ll be fine.”🤔

Yes, there are people who really don’t think it’s a big deal.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Italy has 528 cases (75 new, 2 new deaths, 37 currently requiring intensive care)

1 new case in Barcelona. (I think a 22 year old woman who travelled from Tenerife?  Tenerife appears to be become a hot spot)

And yeah, that is what is super scary.  There was only one person in Tenerife who had it.  He came from Italy.  

All this talk about how this is not as scary as flu I knew right from the minute I heard about this new virus, that it wasn;'t tru.  We have vaccinations for flu.  We have normal medicine for flu too.  The spread of flu is nothing like this.  The side effects of flu are nothing like this for most people.  This is both getting many more people sickl

• Like 5

50 minutes ago, ByeByeMartha said:

The selfish ones are very casual.  I was doing respite foster care and twice had people swear the kid just had the sniffles and then as they were picking them up warned me that it had actually been diagnosed as BOTH A & B influenza.  I had two medically fragile foster children at the time and had made it clear beforehand that it was VERY important they not be exposed to the flu or they might end up in the hospital or worse.  After that I stopped taking respite kids from foster parents I didn't already know well.  And luckily tamiflu worked both times.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

50 minutes ago, ByeByeMartha said:

I get pangs when I take my child to weekly piano lessons because you would never believe how many parents bring their kids who have leaking noses, running high temperature, sneezing, rubbing their noses with the back of their hands mid-lesson and casually dismissing it as "just a cold". This is on a shared piano. My son and I (and the teacher) regularly fall sick because of the music lessons.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, pitterpatter said:

Ugh. I'm interested because this could be the disease that kills my husband. He's in his early forties. He looks healthy enough on the outside, but he has cardiac sarcoid. He has both heart and lung damage. He has an ICD. He is extremely immunosuppressed because that's the only way to keep the disease at bay. (His doctors tried to tinker with his dosages last year; that was a big no go.) He has been warned several times that it will only take the right disease... . We don't want this to be the right disease.

The only thing I can say is that some of the immuno suppressants seem to be effective against this virus.  At least 2 that I am on.  I will pray for your husband to be okay.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Omma said:

www.whio.com is out of Dayton, near where my ds is a first responder.  And my dd is taking her first solo flight to go visit Cedarville University, and him, in less than two weeks. Ugh!

Only one person in quarantine has symptoms. The rest are quarantined because of travel history, so I think Ohio is trying to be very cautious. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Harriet Vane said:

I have to disagree. 

I recall a party at a relative’s house during which a young boy vomited everywhere. I cleaned it up. Boy’s parents kept the family at the party for several hours longer. Boy was miserable.

That same relative (guy who hosted the party) routinely has always kept his sick kids running around doing all their stuff. With fevers. With vomiting. With coughing and mucousy rhinitis. Encouraging them to take a little rest and just keep going. 😖

And I recall a friend who left her son at my house so she could go exercise. Son was producing copious amounts of icky green stuff, blowing his nose every few minutes. His mom said he “wasn’t really sick, just has to get his nose cleared out and he’ll be fine.”🤔

Yes, there are people who really don’t think it’s a big deal.

I was just at a local event. There was a grandma with 2 kids there.  Youngest kiddo was 3 or 4 and had a wet cough and green snot running down his face. He was all over the place, rubbing his face on the furniture, the glass door, and periodically crying for grandma to wipe his nose.  This was an optional, social event, not something like school or work where it's mandatory and you could argue "well, they are in a tough spot because of attendance policies".  

The local event wasn't even geared towards little kids. It was geared toward older kids, so grandma could have dropped off the older sibling and kept the young, sick one out. Or sat in the car with the younger.  Or just said "I'm sorry, but your brother is sick, so we'll stay home and play today".  The kicker? Grandma was watching the younger because he was TOO SICK FOR DAYCARE.  Daycare wouldn't let him come, but she just "had to get him out of the house for awhile!"  😖

I don't expect to live in a perfect, germ-free bubble. But holy cats, there's no reason for this. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

14 minutes ago, mathnerd said:

My son and I (and the teacher) regularly fall sick because of the music lessons.

Thoughts...

My ds's former piano teacher had a medically fragile child. She made it clear that if your child was sick to cancel the lesson or she could do it via distance tech (not ideal, but doable since we had to pay for the lesson regardless). She cancelled when she was ill so she would not spread it. I think that is responsible but I know many people who needed a firm response to casual sickness transmission. This teacher would give you the rest of your money back & tell you to find another teacher if you showed up with a sick/contagious kid.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

CNN:  

The US Navy has ordered all ships that have visited countries in the Pacific region to effectively self-quarantine and remain at sea for 14 days in order to monitor sailors for any coronavirus symptoms

Given what I know, I am not at all surprised. There will be more of this. My DH is probably not coming home anytime soon.

• Sad 6

1 minute ago, Sneezyone said:

Given what I know, I am not at all surprised. There will be more of this. My DH is probably not coming home anytime soon.

I'm sorry.  And thank YOU for your service.  Military spouses don't get enough recognition.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 4

Africa - Nigeria 

NCDC: The Honourable Minister of Health has announced a confirmed coronavirus disease (COVID-19) case in Lagos State The case, which was confirmed on the 27th of February 2020, is the first case to be reported in Nigeria since the beginning of the outbreak in China in January 2020

• Sad 5

Just now, Pen said:

Just to be clear those are good to keep hands out of mouth away from nose— don’t block virus

Right but the medical masks don't block airborne diseases either, they just prevent you from touching your face.  Which is why professionals working with airborne diseases use full coverage respirator masks.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RootAnn said:

Another question below.

Thanks @Plum - I remember the chart but didn't remember the percentages aren't zero. I appreciate all the responses to my question @Pen & @Ausmumof3.

I'm continuing to see 14 day quarantines. Are the reports of longer incubation periods (up to 28 days?) not considered valid? 

Personally I suspect it's more of a financial decision than a practical one. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Another question below.

Thanks @Plum - I remember the chart but didn't remember the percentages aren't zero. I appreciate all the responses to my question @Pen & @Ausmumof3.

I'm continuing to see 14 day quarantines. Are the reports of longer incubation periods (up to 28 days?) not considered valid? 

I think they may be but may also have been picked up in transit elsewhere.  I think the idea is that those cases are an outlier.  You catch most cases with a 14 day quarantine which reduces the caseload.  If one person developed symptoms at 28 days hopefully they don’t spread too far.  The aim is to slow spread not catch every case.

Edited by Ausmumof3
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Katy said:

Personally I suspect it's more of a financial decision than a practical one. 

That and people’s level of compliance and tolerance goes way down after that time.  Two weeks quarantine is ok but I see the dp passengers that are still in quarantine starting to feel pretty frustrated by the end of the 2nd set of 2 weeks.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, TravelingChris said:

The only thing I can say is that some of the immuno suppressants seem to be effective against this virus.  At least 2 that I am on.  I will pray for your husband to be okay.

Can you say which ones they are? Selfishly wondering for myself. I'm on Enbrel (etanercept). I assume you mean they help prevent a cytokine storm, not the virus itself?? I  need to stay functional to care for DH, who has cancer and will be starting a new type of treatment in the next week or so.

4 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Can someone explain the ‘cytokine’ thing to me, in an easy to understand way?  I don’t know what that is.  I googled...I still don’t get it. 

So basically the virus doesn't kill you, your immune system's over-reaction to the virus kills you.  What makes you feel ill with the flu are the cytokines, not the virus.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thatboyofmine said:

Can someone explain the ‘cytokine’ thing to me, in an easy to understand way?  I don’t know what that is.  I googled...I still don’t get it. 

My elementary understanding is that cytokines cause or trigger inflammation. Sometimes that can be a good thing and help kill a virus. Too much (a storm) is a bad thing, as it's way more inflammation than the body can handle.

(Overproduction or inappropriate production of cytokines also cause some diseases, like rheumatoid arthritis. Because . . . inflammation. But that's kind of separate from the cytokine storm due to a virus issue.)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Thoughts...

My ds's former piano teacher had a medically fragile child. She made it clear that if your child was sick to cancel the lesson or she could do it via distance tech (not ideal, but doable since we had to pay for the lesson regardless). She cancelled when she was ill so she would not spread it. I think that is responsible but I know many people who needed a firm response to casual sickness transmission. This teacher would give you the rest of your money back & tell you to find another teacher if you showed up with a sick/contagious kid.

Our art teacher has made a firm statement about "keep your sick kids home" recently, after a nasty gi bug, strep, and the flu ripped through the local groups.  We know a boy that had to be hospitalized because of strep. 

And still people are like "LoL, wUt gErMz?!" 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Aura said:

I'm behind on this thread, I'm busy trying to get ready for some family coming over tonight, but I wanted to pop on and say that it looks like Amazon might be running low on Emergen-C Immune+.

I am at Safeway and they have only the common Emergen C.

Claritin for adults left 3 boxes but many boxes of Benadryl tablets left.
No stock of Nasal Spray Fluticasone and Flonase spray allergy relief.

Ensure, Glucerna, Boost supply on shelves is less than usual. 

6EE0D866-3F8B-4736-9C01-98955AE99E64.jpeg

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

South Korea currently have a significantly lower reported death rate than Italy.  I wonder if that’s because the widespread testing means they are catching more mild cases.

7 minutes ago, freesia said:

Or caught earlier

Or they might have prep earlier due to Diamond Princess being docked in Japan.

Italy was blindsided.

• Like 5

From this article re: the state of things in CA:

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiS2h0dHBzOi8vbmV3cy55YWhvby5jb20vY2FsaWZvcm5pYS1icmFjaW5nLXNwcmVhZC1jb3JvbmF2aXJ1cy0yMTIxMjgyNTguaHRtbNIBU2h0dHBzOi8vbmV3cy55YWhvby5jb20vYW1waHRtbC9jYWxpZm9ybmlhLWJyYWNpbmctc3ByZWFkLWNvcm9uYXZpcnVzLTIxMjEyODI1OC5odG1s?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

“He said the state had only 200 testing kits and had appealed for more from the federal government.”

200 testing kits? For a state with a population of 40 million? And the state with the most confirmed cases and most likely entry point for infected travelers? That’s shocking.  No wonder they are being stingy with who they test. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

59 minutes ago, RootAnn said:

Another question below.

They are valid. But I read  that the decision was based  on 95% still being within 14 days.  So most get caught . Probably.  Or at least it gets slowed down. And doesn’t put many people in extended quarantine for the outliers.

There could be outliers of beyond 30 days—we really don’t know.

23 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

South Korea currently have a significantly lower reported death rate than Italy.  I wonder if that’s because the widespread testing means they are catching more mild cases.

Or that it hit an older population? 

Or hit as a surprise?

or turned more virulent?

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, lovelearnandlive said:

From this article re: the state of things in CA:

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiS2h0dHBzOi8vbmV3cy55YWhvby5jb20vY2FsaWZvcm5pYS1icmFjaW5nLXNwcmVhZC1jb3JvbmF2aXJ1cy0yMTIxMjgyNTguaHRtbNIBU2h0dHBzOi8vbmV3cy55YWhvby5jb20vYW1waHRtbC9jYWxpZm9ybmlhLWJyYWNpbmctc3ByZWFkLWNvcm9uYXZpcnVzLTIxMjEyODI1OC5odG1s?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen

“He said the state had only 200 testing kits and had appealed for more from the federal government.”

200 testing kits? For a state with a population of 40 million? And the state with the most confirmed cases and most likely entry point for infected travelers? That’s shocking.  No wonder they are being stingy with who they test. 

It is...

but otoh for a bit of perspective, it was an amazing fast job of gene sequencing and getting testing kits at all...

probably a historic accomplishment 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

South Korea 256 new cases 

total 2022

Expecting much more

From CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/covid19-south-korea-coronavirus-toll-feb-28-12479352

“South Korea's total is expected to increase further after checks began on more than 210,000 members of the Shincheonji Church of Jesus, a secretive entity often accused of being a cult that is linked to around half of the country's cases.

A 61-year-old female member developed a fever on Feb 10, but attended at least four church services in Daegu - South Korea's fourth-largest city with a population of 2.5 million - before being diagnosed.

Daegu mayor Kwon Young-jin said the city's total could reach as many as 3,000 in the coming days as more test results on Shincheonji members come through, South Korea's Yonhap news agency reported.

"The next one week will be the tipping point," he said.”

• Like 1

Adding moisturizer to my prep list, so our skin doesn't crack with lots of hand washing. Not something I thought of at first!

ETA: I think stores will be nuts over the weekend, so I'm going to try to run errands during the day tomorrow.

Edited by Acadie
  • Like 5