Menu

wuhan - coronavirus

gardenmom5

49 minutes ago, Ausmumof3 said:

Does anyone know what the state of emergency in hokkiado will mean for tourists on the island?  Will public transport etc still be available?

I googled for hokkiado and this was the URL for the SERPs for that Search term:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hokkaido&rlz=1C1CHBD_enCO873CO873&oq=hokkiado&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l7.4789j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you are contemplating going there, or, know someone who is there now, check it out.

My DD was contemplating going to China in May, but she cancelled that idea in January. She also had thoughts of going to Japan, but Japan also seems to be problematic at this time. Her travel for Summer 2020 will either be within the USA or here in Colombia.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I went grocery shopping last night and it was all I could do not to keep touching my face.  

I discovered that when I’m shopping, I’m often looking down at shelves (or looking down bagging my stuff at Aldi) and little wisps of hair droop down and tickle my face, making me touch my face. All it took was a couple of strands, tickling my nose or getting in my eyes, making it almost impossible not to touch.

Maybe it’s just me and no one else’s hair does that, but I thought I’d mention it.  We’re all trying not to touch our faces, especially out in public, and if you have wisps of hair around your face, it might be a good idea to pin them back when shopping.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, Garga said:

I went grocery shopping last night and it was all I could do not to keep touching my face.  

I discovered that when I’m shopping, I’m often looking down at shelves (or looking down bagging my stuff at Aldi) and little wisps of hair droop down and tickle my face, making me touch my face. All it took was a couple of strands, tickling my nose or getting in my eyes, making it almost impossible not to touch.

Maybe it’s just me and no one else’s hair does that, but I thought I’d mention it.  We’re all trying not to touch our faces, especially out in public, and if you have wisps of hair around your face, it might be a good idea to pin them back when shopping.

That's me! I noticed the same thing! Argh!

• Like 2

British passenger of diamond cruise was the sixth person to die - no word on age or gender yet.  Edited to add bbc are reporting a man.  Edited again to add confirmed not to be David Abel 

also 2 hotels in Abu Dhabi in lockdown including W Abu Dhabi 

Edited by Ausmumof3

27 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I googled for hokkiado and this was the URL for the SERPs for that Search term:

https://www.google.com/search?q=hokkaido&rlz=1C1CHBD_enCO873CO873&oq=hokkiado&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0l7.4789j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

If you are contemplating going there, or, know someone who is there now, check it out.

My DD was contemplating going to China in May, but she cancelled that idea in January. She also had thoughts of going to Japan, but Japan also seems to be problematic at this time. Her travel for Summer 2020 will either be within the USA or here in Colombia.

Someone I know is there.  Not too concerned health wise just wondering if it will impact on return travel at all

1 hour ago, Garga said:

Me too. It’s great to be noticing these things now, when there’s probably time to try things like a hair scrunch or scarf

• Like 1

Another thread participant and I have been PMing about herbal and similar approaches that might or might not be helpful.  Would anyone else here like either to join the PM discussion if that’s possible?

Or would any of you like to to have some of what we are privately discussing shared here on this thread?  

If we do that I don’t want to have to make statements of apology or that I know most Wtm people “probably think this is woo” etc each time. And I wouldn’t try to be proving safety or efficacy of anything for anything— just sharing what I’m personally looking at, so that for example, if someone is inundated by kudzu, it might be nice to know it may have some herbal uses.  

We could put a header on each such post, and if not interested people can just skip it. 

• Like 8

We have a short spring break car trip planned to a major city. We had reserved a cheap hotel for the short stay. We’ve decided to change to an AirBnB and if that isn’t possible we will get a suite at a different hotel. I’m having visions of being quarantined in the small hotel room we have reserved. 

Seems irrational to cancel the trip but the unknown seems to warrant thinking through the possibilities and how to minimize the risk/ inconvenience if our lives were to be disrupted by this. Also bringing school stuff along. We have room in the car and if we did get stuck that would be something we could continue. 

Ugh. I’m not a paranoid person and we are all pretty healthy but this certainly warrants planning and caution. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

<snip>

but it got me wondering - I know bits of Junk DNA randomly seem to get absorbed into other things sometimes.  It is possible that the intermediate host between bat and human was poultry and the virus has somehow picked up a bit of DNA from the poultry virus.  And that’s how it’s developed the more effective infection mechanism.  Or is that impossible? About now is when I start wishing I’d studied biology on school.  

I'm under the impression that it's exactly how that works, but I only took one microbiology course in college.  I think I learned more from watching ReGenesis.

4 hours ago, Carrie12345 said:

I just checked my school district’s website for any info. They have a PDF of the state health department’s info from 2/3/20.  Feeling so confident! @@ 

As far as other people spreading germs, my homeschool community is VERY casual about it. Well, in general. Some of us care.  Honestly, I’m not normally one to get a flu shot, but all of this virus stuff had me researching more and changed my mind. But there are people in my community who think flu shot people should have to wear a sign indicating that they’re a danger to everyone else.  We may not be participating in the community much longer.  Even in 12-18 months, I doubt 25% will get vaccinated if it becomes possible.

Not that I want to go too far down the crazy rabbit hole, but why on earth would they think that?  Even if you think the tiny doses of adjuvants cause harm to the person receiving the vaccine, why would you think it could harm anyone else?

2 hours ago, Garga said:

Yes, this is why a lot of healthcare workers wear fabric headbands.  When I worked with people in isolation I used to wear them every day. Those wisps are the #1 reason I touch my face too.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3899428/

this study indicates that in early stages elderberry may be effective against IBV.  I realise some elderberry studies have coming into question but this is worth a read.  Particularly if the infection method is similar.  Might be worth getting some sambucol in.

. Perhaps vaccination in conjunction with administering the active polyphenol could have a synergistic effect, similar to that seen when the polyphenol isoquercetin

Some evidence supports this idea, in that glycyrrhizin, the active chemical from G. radix extracts, inhibited not only IBV, but also the SARS CoV [25,83

Sounds like you might be interested in naturalist / herbal remedies discussion? 

I think herbal discussion is fine, but please link scientific studies WITH the discussion.  Elderberry fights respiratory coronaviruses in poultry was linked up thread.  That's helpful.  IMO homeopathy, which has only scientifically been shown to cause harm or act as a placebo, isn't welcome.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Katy said:

I think herbal discussion is fine, but please link scientific studies WITH the discussion.  Elderberry fights respiratory coronaviruses in poultry was linked up thread.  That's helpful.  IMO homeopathy, which has only scientifically been shown to cause harm or act as a placebo, isn't welcome.

I am not willing to do that. I went out of my way to Search and link scientific studies for vitamin D because I thought it was potentially so extremely important.  It took me many many many hours to do that.  

I understand that you and most WTM people think such things are woo. 

If you cannot accept such posts with thoughts and ideas,  but not linking of studies etc, in a “use what you can use and leave the rest” way, I am going to stick with the personal PM discussion I have going now. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Pen said:

I am not willing to do that. I went out of my way to Search and link scientific studies for vitamin D because I thought it was potentially so extremely important.  It took me many many many hours to do that.  

I understand that you and most WTM people think such things are woo. 

If you cannot accept such posts with thoughts and ideas,  but not linking of studies etc, in a “use what you can use and leave the rest” way, I am going to stick with the personal PM discussion I have going now. 

Thanks for the feedback. 

I'm by no means saying you need to link every study. One link per herb or vitamin should be enough, IMO.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Katy said:

I'm by no means saying you need to link every study. One link per herb or vitamin should be enough, IMO.

Thanks. Maybe from time to time I’ll decide to do that. Mostly I’m going to stick with the PM system. 

For anyone interested, I will highly recommend and link:

Herbal Antivirals: Natural Remedies for Emerging & Resistant Viral Infections https://www.amazon.com/dp/1612121608/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bvtwEbE2YK697

It has extensive references and discussions of studies.  

(ETA ~ 90% of the herbs I am looking at are in the above book. The other 10% are either what grows where I am or from another herbalist, James Duke, who has also written a lot of books many also with references and studies noted.) 

Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Garga said:

I am another one who made the decision last night to s.tart wearing a pony tail more....at least to places that I will be touching things.  I wore a pony tail for years when the kids were young and avoid them now because they show off my white hair and make me look old.  I no longer care!     

@Pen fwiw I don’ t. mind woo posts and am actually back to reading this thread pretty intently .  I am just going back the number of hours since I last read and skimming forward.

In England there seems to be quite a panic going on with a local school being closed.  No inside knowledge beyond the assumption it has to do with half term travel.  We are supposed to return at the end of April for the summer and doubt that is going to remain in our plans... still hoping to manage a couple of months.  

btw, recently read somewhere that the Westerdam passenger did not actually have Coronavirus.........I am assuming friend is still self quarantining.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On the topic of face touching, it's not my hair that's the issue, it's my glasses! I subconsciously push up the bridge of my glasses. I have even caught myself making that motion when I'm wearing contacts! I think I might start practicing adjusting my glasses by the side piece...or maybe I'll go have them adjusted so they fit tighter on my nose...

• Like 4

For my part, reading about natural herbal stuff with the science is interesting.

I'm also interested in how people are combating anxiety (prayer, positive thinking, etc.)

Posting about homeopathy, however, is worse than useless. I still can't believe sugar pills and water are allowed to be sold right next to meds like Tylenol in the drugstore. It boggles my mind...and kind of makes me angry because I used to buy those stupid Zicam melts thinking there was actual zinc in them.

• Like 7

28 minutes ago, Pen said:

Thanks. Maybe from time to time I’ll decide to do that. Mostly I’m going to stick with the PM system. 

For anyone interested, I will highly recommend and link:

Herbal Antivirals: Natural Remedies for Emerging & Resistant Viral Infections https://www.amazon.com/dp/1612121608/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_bvtwEbE2YK697

It has extensive references and discussions of studies.  

(ETA ~ 90% of the herbs I am looking at are in the above book. The other 10% are either what grows where I am or from another herbalist, James Duke, who has also written a lot of books many also with references and studies noted.) 

I guess Buhner’s Antiviral Herbs book is sold out at Amazon.   Maybe I caused a run on it by recommending it. 

It’s essentially the 3rd edition.  The 2nd edition is still available and imo will do.  I had to get the newer because my second edition got permanently borrowed. I haven’t had significant changes from what I’d remembered of 2nd Edition jump out at me. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, iamonlyone said:

On the topic of face touching, it's not my hair that's the issue, it's my glasses! I subconsciously push up the bridge of my glasses. I have even caught myself making that motion when I'm wearing contacts! I think I might start practicing adjusting my glasses by the side piece...or maybe I'll go have them adjusted so they fit tighter on my nose...

Thanks for reminder!  I need to get my ear parts adjusted on my glasses. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, EmseB said:

For my part, reading about natural herbal stuff with the science is interesting.

I'm also interested in how people are combating anxiety (prayer, positive thinking, etc.)

Posting about homeopathy, however, is worse than useless. I still can't believe sugar pills and water are allowed to be sold right next to meds like Tylenol in the drugstore. It boggles my mind...and kind of makes me angry because I used to buy those stupid Zicam melts thinking there was actual zinc in them.

😉🙂😆 I cannot resist this challenge  😇😂🙃🙂

https://www.hindawi.com/journals/ecam/2011/362517/

Title: 

Homeopathic Doses of Gelsemium sempervirensImprove the Behavior of Mice in Response to Novel Environments

NB: I am NOT recommending these for your anxiety. I just thought a study on mice regarding homeopathy might be of interest to you though.  And amuses me to post a study related to a anxiety in response to your remark. 

I do use homeopathy and related approaches too, for example sometimes for anxiety (however, I have different preferred remedies for that),  but it is extremely complicated to use it so that it helps.  Too complicated for explaining here.  

Personally, and far easier to use, for anxiety I have some helpful supplements like Inositol, B vitamins, etc discussed on other threads about anxiety.

I am meditating and gardening. Listening to funny Audible books.  Walking my dog (though currently cougars and people with guns make that itself somewhat stressful.)  I am not actually hugely anxious about the Covid-19 right now, but am anxious about getting my income taxes done, finances, a legal issue, stuff related to my son and to my parents, and some other such things.   

I suspect this is true for many people—that the daily things to do stresses keep focus off the global health emergency to a greater or lesser degree. 

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

I am another one who made the decision last night to s.tart wearing a pony tail more....at least to places that I will be touching things.  I wore a pony tail for years when the kids were young and avoid them now because they show off my white hair and make me look old.  I no longer care!    

3 hours ago, Garga said:

1 hour ago, Pen said:

Me too. It’s great to be noticing these things now, when there’s probably time to try things like a hair scrunch or scarf

Tennis headband, baseball cap, beanie have been useful for me. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, Pen said:

I guess Buhner’s Antiviral Herbs book is sold out at Amazon.   Maybe I caused a run on it by recommending it. 

It’s essentially the 3rd edition.  The 2nd edition is still available and imo will do.  I had to get the newer because my second edition got permanently borrowed. I haven’t had significant changes from what I’d remembered of 2nd Edition jump out at me. 

This has a kindle version. I purchased it several years ago. 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

From CNA https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/coronavirus-covid-19-cake-italians-fight-fear-with-silliness-12483102

Italians fight fear with silliness

(ETA: photo in news link is really funny)

ROME: Crack that prosecco, it's aperivirus time. And why not accompany your bubbly with a slice of virus ice-cream cake, fresh from the area of Italy worst hit by the disease?

Italy has the most coronavirus cases in Europe and highest death toll but rather than succumb to fear, wisecracking Italians have opted to laugh in the face of danger with a slew of parodies, jokes and general silliness.
In the economic capital Milan, just 60km down the road from the main outbreak, bars have transformed "happy hour" into "aperitiviruses", where aperitifs and snacks can be bought at a discount.

At the Gelateria Infinito shop on the outskirts of Cremona - another area of the Lombardy region reporting many cases - customers can get a "Corona Cake", which features the typical crown-like spikes of the COVID-19 virus.

"We know that this is a serious issue, but problems can't be solved with sadness and fear," owners Andrea Schirali and his wife Daniela told the Repubblica daily.

"The important thing is to follow instructions and stay calm. If we eat a good ice cream in the meantime, it certainly can't hurt," they said.

There's fun to be had even by those in obligatory isolation in red zones, with only their social media feeds for company.

Virus jokes have gone viral, and as per tradition, they target Italy's famous flaws, from its public transport to its mafia.

'TRANSPARENT GOLD'

One gag shows a city mayor boasting that the metro's delays are actually helping keep his citizens safe, because "the waiting time is longer than the (14-day) incubation period!"

Another has a drug dealer offering hashish or cocaine, but his client demands "Amuchina" - the most famous hand sanitiser gel in Italy.

The mafia's reputation for latching on to new trends is also a target for the online jokers.

One mock-up video shows a Naples mobster proposing to a fellow gangster that they switch from cocaine smuggling to Amuchina.

"Demand is skyrocketing for Amuchina, it's been nicknamed 'transparent gold', and colleagues in Honduras are transforming their labs to produce Amuchina," he says.

The jump in the gel's price on some internet marketplaces since the virus hit Italy prompted several joke adverts, with one offering to swap "five litres of Amuchina for a 2019 Audi RS5", a vehicle costing some 100,000 euros.”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1
  • Haha 10

From CNA about clothing shortage and cost going up https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asia/asia-garment-industry-lay-offs-factories-close-coronavirus-12482994

Asia's garment industry sees lay-offs, factories closing due to COVID-19

YANGON: Temporary factory closures and layoffs have already begun to hit low wage workers across Asia as quarantines and travel restrictions from the new coronavirus disrupt supply chains linked to China.

For 31-year-old Myanmar worker Aye Su Than, the suspension of production at Hunter Myanmar, which produces clothes for an Italian fashion brand, came out of the blue when managers informed its 900 employees almost two weeks ago.

"They said, 'There are no orders, no buyers, because of the virus we are going to shut down,'" said Aye Su Than, who is five months pregnant and makes about US$130 per month.

She said she got US$320 in compensation from the factory, which declined to comment when contacted.

International brands from Uniqlo to Adidas have wide networks of suppliers and can potentially shift production outside China to fill the potential gap in production from that country - the world's largest apparel and textile manufacturer.

Still, sourcing lines in the clothing industry are deeply intertwined and factories in southeast Asia are dependent in turn on China for supplies like cloth, buttons and zippers.

Cambodia said this week that 10 factories had already applied to suspend operations and would pay partial wages to about 3,000 workers.

The government in Phnom Penh expects a total of 200 to slow or stop production in March because of coronavirus, affecting 100,000 of more than 850,000 employed in the US$7 billion sector, which is Cambodia's largest employer.

In Bangladesh, the world’s second-largest garment manufacturing industry after China, factories are still running but anxiety is growing.

"Nobody knows what will happen ahead but the factory owners are really worried," said Mohammed Nasir, a director of the Bangladesh Garment Manufacturers and Exporters Association.

Readymade garments are a mainstay of Bangladesh's economy, contributing almost 16 per cent of national output and about US$34 billion worth of exports in the last fiscal year ending in June 2019.

"Almost 70 per cent of our woven fabrics come from China and naturally if goods do not arrive on time, the readymade garments industry will be affected. If the crisis in China is prolonged, the impact would be severe," Nasir said.

Bangladesh has about 4,000 garment factories employing some 4 million workers.

Neighbouring Myanmar has a smaller industry but is more dependent on China, with the Myanmar Garment Manufacturers Association warning that half of the nation’s 500 factories could shut down by March if the crisis persists.

China supplies about 90 per cent of fabrics sent to Myanmar, which so far has not reported any cases of the virus, but the closure of the land border to try to keep infections out has disrupted the supply chain.

"We can still export, but we cannot say what is going to happen in the next one or two months," Aung Min, vice-chairman of the manufacturers' association, told Reuters. 

Manufacturers, too, are scrambling to find alternative suppliers of everything from fabric to buttons and zippers.

"It is not easy to shift the sourcing destination overnight. But buyers are currently looking for alternative sources," said Siddiqur Rahman, a leading garment exporter.

Alternative raw material suppliers are being explored in Thailand, Indonesia, Pakistan and India but then costs will go up, he said.

"Are the buyers ready to pay more? I don't think so. So, it is not that easy. But we’ll have to look beyond China to survive in the long run," said Rahman.”

• Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

FWIW, I priced out the herbs for Buhner's recommended tinctures a few weeks ago, and it was going to be $$$, so I passed.  I sometimes have weird reactions to some herbs anyway---not the best time to sort that out. 🙂 

Some of $$$ aspect relates to why I am looking at what is growing right around me!!! 

And also $$$ is part of why I made some usnea tincture from storm downed usnea!   I don’t like to endanger the usnea supply as it’s so extremely important to the NW ecosystem, but with a small handful of usnea I made a jar of tincture. Afaik it would only be helpful to stop pneumonia development, not as initial antiviral, but anyhow, I put it away for in case of need.

I’ll be doing similar with some other potentially helpful local plants / lichens. 

ETA:

Btw, as you may recall from reading the book, Buhner is into growing one’s own rather than buying ready made whenever possible. His source recommendations sometimes include where to get seeds. Getting into a harmonious relationship with the potentially healing plants and DIY approach comes through even more strongly in books like Plant Intelligence.  Since he’s in the Southwest USA, I have to learn about my own local species which are usually not those of the Southwest .   Some are invasive which concerns me.  I may try some plants in pots on concrete area of driveway to not start an invasives nightmare.  English Ivy is bad enough to deal with.  Though:

Other than ornamentation, the English ivy also has medicinal properties.
Now herbalists use it to treat respiratory conditions, such as:
  • asthma.
  • bronchitis.
  • chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD)
  • inflammation.
  • arthritis.
Edited by Pen
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

Thank you for using storm downed usnea! I have seen it in a few places here, but I have never picked because it is so hard to find! 

Normally I would not even use storm downed because birds and squirrels line nests with it up tree and that helps it get back established as it drops downward and bits catch on branches. And also there’s probably nothing else local so suitable for the nest linings. 

4 hours ago, Happymomof1 said:

So, does that mean that Israel will not accept travel from non-citizens?  My husband and son were leaving in a week to Israel for a trip with the seminary.

Non-citizens who travel or even transit though Italy, China, S Korea, and Japan (as of know I believe, may be more countries by this point) cannot enter Israel if they have been in those countries up to 14 days before the travel to Israel.

• Like 3

Diamond Princess related https://abc7news.com/5973533/

“RIVERSIDE, Calif. -- Dozens of people are quarantined inside their homes in Riverside County due to potential coronavirus exposure, according to Riverside County Public Health.

Health officials say none of the roughly 50 residents have been diagnosed with coronavirus, but they are self-monitoring for symptoms.

A Riverside County resident who was a passenger on a cruise ship docked under quarantine in Japan tested positive for coronavirus, public health officials announced Tuesday.”

• Sad 1

Licorice and SARS:  https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(03)13615-X/fulltext

Last Fall I bought some Throat Coat tea when my son was sick.  He didn't want to try it, but now I'm kind of glad that I've got a box in the house since it includes some licorice.  

(Warning:   There's something in licorice that can cause high blood pressure so please don't megadose or give it to someone who already has high blood pressure!!!)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Laurie said:

Licorice and SARS:  https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(03)13615-X/fulltext

Last Fall I bought some Throat Coat tea when my son was sick.  He didn't want to try it, but now I'm kind of glad that I've got a box in the house since it includes some licorice.  

(Warning:   There's something in licorice that can cause high blood pressure so please don't megadose or give it to someone who already has high blood pressure!!!)

Throat Coat tea is the bestest.  I always have boxes on hand, just for regular winter nasties.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Laurie said:

Btw the post that @Ausmumof3 shared above about poultry coronavirus which mentioned glycyrrhizin —  glycyrrhizin Is a constituent of licorice herb.  

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Laurie said:

Also can cause potassium levels to drop. 

Personally I feel like Teas such as Throat Coat are probably quite safe though. 

• Like 1

From FDA 😞

https://www.fda.gov/news-events/press-announcements/coronavirus-covid-19-supply-chain-update
“February 27, 2020
Statement From:
Commissioner of Food and Drugs - Food and Drug Administration
Stephen M. Hahn M.D.

As I have previously communicated, the FDA has been closely monitoring the supply chain with the expectation that the COVID-19 outbreak would likely impact the medical product supply chain, including potential disruptions to supply or shortages of critical medical products in the U.S.

A manufacturer has alerted us to a shortage of a human drug that was recently added to the drug shortages list. The manufacturer just notified us that this shortage is related to a site affected by coronavirus. The shortage is due to an issue with manufacturing of an active pharmaceutical ingredient used in the drug. It is important to note that there are other alternatives that can be used by patients. We are working with the manufacturer as well as other manufacturers to mitigate the shortage. We will do everything possible to mitigate the shortage.

Additional Information on Human Drugs

Since January 24, the FDA has been in touch with more than 180 manufacturers of human drugs, not only to remind them of applicable legal requirements for notifying the FDA of any anticipated supply disruptions, but also asking them to evaluate their entire supply chain, including active pharmaceutical ingredients (the main ingredient in the drug and part that produces the intended effects, e.g., acetaminophen) and other components manufactured in China.

Also, as part of our efforts, the FDA has identified about 20 other drugs, which solely source their active pharmaceutical ingredients or finished drug products from China. We have been in contact with those firms to assess whether they face any drug shortage risks due to the outbreak. None of these firms have reported any shortage to date. Also, these drugs are considered non-critical drugs.

We will remain in contact with manufacturers so that we can continue to assist them with any potential issues in the fastest way.

Medical Devices

We are aware of 63 manufacturers which represent 72 facilities in China that produce essential medical devices; we have contacted all of them. Essential devices are those that may be prone to potential shortage if there is a supply disruption. We are aware that several of these facilities in China are adversely affected by COVID-19, citing workforce challenges, including the necessary quarantine of workers. While the FDA continues to assess whether manufacturing disruptions will affect overall market availability of these products, there are currently no reported shortages for these types of medical devices within the U.S. market.”

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, YaelAldrich said:

No one's commented on this yet. United airlines is shutting down some routes and going fewer times to various Asian cities for the next couple of months. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/krisvancleave/status/1233383167962296322?s=09

“United Airlines became the third US carrier to suspend routes outside of Chinese territory on Friday when it announced that numerous routes to Japan, Singapore, South Korea, and Taiwan would be suspended or see reduced service, the company told Business Insider.

The airline is suspending service from Los Angeles and Houston to Tokyo's Narita Airport from March 8 until April 24 and Chicago and Tokyo's Narita Airport from March 8 until March 27. Service to Tokyo's Haneda Airport, which is expected to see new service from scores of foreign airlines at the end of March, is unaffected.

Other routes to Asia will see reduced service or aircraft downgrades until the end of August including Newark-Tokyo, Honolulu-Tokyo, San Francisco-Kansai, San Francisco-Singapore, San Francisco-Seoul, and San Francisco-Taipei. ”

On 2/27/2020 at 9:43 AM, Arcadia said:

“44 airlines have canceled flights beyond China amid fears coronavirus is spreading globally — here's the full list” https://www.businessinsider.com/airlines-canceling-flights-outside-of-china-amid-coronavirus-fears-2020-2

ETA:

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/business/united-airlines-cancels-flights-tokyo-seoul-singapore-12482822#cxrecs_s

“CHICAGO: United Airlines Holdings said on Friday (Feb 28) it was cancelling flights to Tokyo, Osaka, Singapore and Seoul due to health concerns related to the coronavirus outbreak.

The Chicago-based airline also said it was extending the suspension of US flights to China through Apr 30”

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

ASHP has not updated with this new info.  There are several drugs that have hit the list this week---notably, prednisone, and more versions of losartan. https://www.ashp.org/Drug-Shortages

There is still ongoing recalls for Losartan

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/search-list-recalled-angiotensin-ii-receptor-blockers-arbs-including-valsartan-losartan-and

on hair - it's why I'm growing it out again.  it's finally long enough to pull back into a pony.  I hate having it super short (which is how short it has to be to be tolerable) - but I hate having it in-between even more.

they've also recommended right now - men with beards shave them.  'cause that's right next to their mouths, and it does affect how the mask fits.  I have one son with a beard, he might not like this too much.  (on reason is he has moles on his face that don't like shaving.  he's had some removed.)

I tried the wetted then dried layers of tissue (using Scott brand tp) experiment.  It does shape great when laid over upside down bowl and also can be shaped to face when wet so it dries with nose and cheek conformity— and it blocks the smoke going on in my area very well.

But I can barely breathe through it at all!  

So could help for real emergency very short duration need, but not extended use imo. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Pen said:

Could be Northeastern U will have decision largely taken out of their hands.  

Yeah, my ds is supposed to spend the summer studying abroad in London. We hadn't bought tickets yet because we didn't have exact dates and now ticket prices have tripled from when I last looked. It stinks.