Menu
Jump to content

What's with the ads?

gardenmom5

wuhan - coronavirus

Recommended Posts

17 minutes ago, GGardner said:

 

Yikes!  I'm not a statistics expert, but I hope these "tests to see if you are no longer positive" don't count for the percentages.  Otherwise, the numbers would be completely misleading.  Let's assume that everyone has covid, and there are no false positives or negatives.  If everyone gets it and tests positive and everyone needs two negative tests to be cleared, and not everyone gets it at once, that means that the positive rate would average only 33%, even if everyone got it.

Does anyone know if these tests count?  I don't think hospitals do this kind of testing for, say, influenza.  Once you test positive for the flu, I think it is pretty obvious when you've recovered. 

Texas has an explicit message on their website that they cannot guarantee they are NOT counting for private labs. It sounds like for public labs they are trying to avoid double-counting the same individual. But they do not get enough information from the private labs to be sure of it.

 

"Total test numbers are unable to be de-duplicated for private labs."

Edited by vonfirmath

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TracyP said:

This is so sad. I understand why those living in group homes would be more likely to contract covid, but I don't understand why they'd be more likely to die. The article says it is because they are more likely to have underlying respiratory conditions. I am googling and cannot find a link between asthma and autism. I also didn't think asthma was a huge risk factor on its own. I wonder more if it is about general poor health (low vit d among other things?), poor care of this group of people. You would think prisons would face similar high death rates, but that doesn't seem to be the case. This so sad and so frustrating. 🙁 

I think that it's important to note that they seem to be using "receives services from the state Department of Developmental Disabilities" as a proxy for individuals with IDD.  In my experience, most states use a definition of IDD for eligibility that includes a subset of individuals with ASD, usually those with the highest support needs.  Other individuals with ASD may not receive services as adults, or if they have mental health co-morbidities may receive services through a Department of Mental Health.

But if you look at the population of individuals with ID and ASD with high support needs, you're going to see more individuals in the following categories

Individuals with genetic syndromes that place them at risk e.g. individuals with Down syndrome or Williams syndrome with heart conditions, individuals with Rett syndrome and breath holding, individuals with Angelman syndrome and seizure disorder (I could go on) (Keep in mind that ASD is much more common in some genetic syndromes like Down syndrome and Angelman, so even if we only look at ASD, which I don't think this study did, we'd have more of these individuals).

Individuals with a history of prematurity that puts them at risk for lung issues such as BPD

Individuals with co-occuring motor disabilities such as CP which can make it harder for someone to cough and clear their airways 

Individuals with seizure disorders

Individuals with obesity, either because of medical condition such as low muscle tone, or because of poor impulse control, or because of poor nutritional practices in group homes.  

Individuals with poor cardiovascular health, due to lack of opportunities for exercise, or lack of interest in exercise, or low muscle tone that makes exercise.  

Individuals whose IDD is secondary to a medical condition, such as cancer treatment, or stroke,  or autoimmune encephalopathy that puts them at risk. 

There is also thinking that ASD in particular may sometimes have an autoimmune component, which may make them more vulnerable to cytokine storm.

In addition, congregate living puts people at risk of catching things, not just covid.   So that individual who gets covid because a staff member brought it in, may have lungs that are still recovering from a bout of pneumonia secondary to flu that they had in February.  Twitchy lungs can make subsequent infections worse.  

 

In general, I think that most issues that impact American society (and I'll limit this to the US because that's where my experience is, but I'm very doubtful this is a US only problem) disproportionately impact disadvantaged groups, and individuals with disabilities are in that category.  I think that framing covid as a disabilities rights issue, brings clarity to the ways that individuals with disabilities are particularly vulnerable.  They're physically vulnerable due to co-occurring medical issues, they're vulnerable to losing the access and inclusion to society that they worked so hard to get, they're particularly vulnerable to unemployment, they're highly vulnerable to abuse as social distancing increases their isolation.  It's very concerning, and what's equally concerning to me, is the way that I see people willing to push aside or ignore these concerns.  On another board where I participate there is someone who keeps referring to people with medical disabilities who die as "people who were going to die anyway", as an implication that their deaths don't matter.  On the same board there are lots of claims that problems with distance learning in our area are because the school systems have been trying (and failing IMO) to serve students with disabilities, and that it's time to put "normal" children first.  Churches across the country seem to be putting together reopening plans that include the message that people with disabilities that put them at risk should just stay home.  

 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Terabith said:

I had a test when I randomly started running a fever, despite aggressive social distancing.  I mean, I've not been as careful as some people on the board, but we're pretty darn careful.  The test was negative, and later we decided it was a combination of stress and allergies.  (Not an unheard of thing for me to run a fever when stress load gets high, but because of situation, did a test.)  The test really, truly wasn't bad.  It's basically a flu test.  A little uncomfortable for a second to have a swab up the nose but I didn't think it was a big deal.  

That's good to know.  I know that DS9 and DS12 can be very convincing when they claim that their flu shot, or flu test, or strep test, or blood test is the worst thing ever.  So, I'm sure they'd react the same way to the nasal swab.  

For DS10 they have switched to testing trach aspirates, and not nasal swabs, which is a different process.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Pen said:

Some other novel virus that has been set loose?

and/Or a lot of false negative tests

When people say that the testing numbers are very low and that my area (SF Bay Area) had a lot lower number of deaths than anticipated I have similar theories as well. It could be that areas with high numbers of immigrants from Asia had other novel viruses introduced into their populations in the recent past and perhaps they were a lot similar to CV19, hence the immune systems were geared up to respond better? And I was told by my Korean friend that the swabbing for CV19 has to be done with precision in order for it to be accurate - in other words, you could have CV19, the tester might not be swabbing your nostrils as deep as needed and hence it might turn a negative even though you are infected - apparently they teach Korean testers how to avoid this situation explicitly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Terabith said:

I had a test when I randomly started running a fever, despite aggressive social distancing.  I mean, I've not been as careful as some people on the board, but we're pretty darn careful.  The test was negative, and later we decided it was a combination of stress and allergies.  (Not an unheard of thing for me to run a fever when stress load gets high, but because of situation, did a test.)  The test really, truly wasn't bad.  It's basically a flu test.  A little uncomfortable for a second to have a swab up the nose but I didn't think it was a big deal.  

 

The people I know who had original swab test PCR before new versions came out said it was really bad.   

I wonder if different testers have done much more thorough swabbing than others. 

That could make a false negative tests problem also. 

I know some improper methods were also supposed to have thrown off a lot of Abbot tests. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I think that it's important to note that they seem to be using "receives services from the state Department of Developmental Disabilities" as a proxy for individuals with IDD.  In my experience, most states use a definition of IDD for eligibility that includes a subset of individuals with ASD, usually those with the highest support needs.  Other individuals with ASD may not receive services as adults, or if they have mental health co-morbidities may receive services through a Department of Mental Health.

But if you look at the population of individuals with ID and ASD with high support needs, you're going to see more individuals in the following categories

Individuals with genetic syndromes that place them at risk e.g. individuals with Down syndrome or Williams syndrome with heart conditions, individuals with Rett syndrome and breath holding, individuals with Angelman syndrome and seizure disorder (I could go on) (Keep in mind that ASD is much more common in some genetic syndromes like Down syndrome and Angelman, so even if we only look at ASD, which I don't think this study did, we'd have more of these individuals).

Individuals with a history of prematurity that puts them at risk for lung issues such as BPD

Individuals with co-occuring motor disabilities such as CP which can make it harder for someone to cough and clear their airways 

Individuals with seizure disorders

Individuals with obesity, either because of medical condition such as low muscle tone, or because of poor impulse control, or because of poor nutritional practices in group homes.  

Individuals with poor cardiovascular health, due to lack of opportunities for exercise, or lack of interest in exercise, or low muscle tone that makes exercise.  

Individuals whose IDD is secondary to a medical condition, such as cancer treatment, or stroke,  or autoimmune encephalopathy that puts them at risk. 

There is also thinking that ASD in particular may sometimes have an autoimmune component, which may make them more vulnerable to cytokine storm.

In addition, congregate living puts people at risk of catching things, not just covid.   So that individual who gets covid because a staff member brought it in, may have lungs that are still recovering from a bout of pneumonia secondary to flu that they had in February.  Twitchy lungs can make subsequent infections worse.  

 

Thanks. These are helpful points. Still very disturbing, but it makes better sense in my head.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Vitamin D etc status also may be low in various residential facilities 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tomorrow DrBeen video may go into a case of a friend of his whose (young adult iirc) son died from CV19. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, TracyP said:

Yes, that would make sense if down syndrome was a significant risk factor. The article stated, however, that most of the cases they looked at had autism. Autism increasing risk just doesn't make sense to me - again I can see an increased risk as far as getting covid, but not as far as dying from it. 🤷‍♀️

I don’t know what it’s like there but here often autism is a catch all diagnosis.  I know of at least two kids who have an autism diagnosis that actually have a rare genetic disorder but it’s easier to access funding with an autism label.  I also have a family member who is diagnosed autism but is being tested for another genetic issue that causes some traits like autism as well as causing physical issues including potentially heart problems.  The specific disorder is so rare that most likely wouldn’t have been identified if there wasn’t a medical person in the family who was in a related field that spotted it.  So I guess a lot of people who fall under an autism label have more than autism.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Plum said:

I skimmed the articles so please forgive me, but does anyone know what % capacity ICUs normally operate at when there's no pandemic on? I admit that 83% seems low to me after having a loved one in an ICU and seeing almost all beds full (this was several years ago).

I'm trying to put some of the numbers in seeing in context and am reading conflicting info about short staffing, beds available, equipment like ECMO and vents,  how NYC utilized surge capacity and field hospitals, etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ausmumof3 said:

I don’t know what it’s like there but here often autism is a catch all diagnosis.  I know of at least two kids who have an autism diagnosis that actually have a rare genetic disorder but it’s easier to access funding with an autism label.  I also have a family member who is diagnosed autism but is being tested for another genetic issue that causes some traits like autism as well as causing physical issues including potentially heart problems.  The specific disorder is so rare that most likely wouldn’t have been identified if there wasn’t a medical person in the family who was in a related field that spotted it.  So I guess a lot of people who fall under an autism label have more than autism.  

I would also note that it's quite possible to have ASD and a genetic disorder.  I work with many students with Down syndrome, as well as students with less common genetic disorder, who have co-occurring ASD.  In my mind those children absolutely have ASD and thinking of them that way, helps connect them with resources and strategies that will work for them. 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I skimmed the articles so please forgive me, but does anyone know what % capacity ICUs normally operate at when there's no pandemic on? I admit that 83% seems low to me after having a loved one in an ICU and seeing almost all beds full (this was several years ago).

I'm trying to put some of the numbers in seeing in context and am reading conflicting info about short staffing, beds available, equipment like ECMO and vents,  how NYC utilized surge capacity and field hospitals, etc.

 

It may depend on exact circumstances.  

I think in some places I have been with ~20 adult ICU beds,  like at least 30% available...

So for example hospital with 20 adult ICU beds would have 6 open spots, in case of for example of a quite likely situation, a bad automobile crash on part of an interstate that would send patients to them having  6 people needing ICU all at once and quite quickly . 

I don’t know how that would be in bigger cities with many hospitals 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, EmseB said:

I skimmed the articles so please forgive me, but does anyone know what % capacity ICUs normally operate at when there's no pandemic on? I admit that 83% seems low to me after having a loved one in an ICU and seeing almost all beds full (this was several years ago).

I'm trying to put some of the numbers in seeing in context and am reading conflicting info about short staffing, beds available, equipment like ECMO and vents,  how NYC utilized surge capacity and field hospitals, etc.

I could ask dh when he gets home.

After reading up one this

Their largest hospital chain, Banner, is saying they are running out of beds, vents and ECMO treatments, that's really bad. Their dashboard is showing record numbers. Banner said the number of patients needing vents and invasive treatments has quadrupled and other hospitals are saying they are seeing increases as well.They are saying cases have spiked 110%. I believe AZ has a high population of retirees. The state has enough vents it's just Banner that's reached capacity for treatment. 

It looks like they implemented a new method of tracking ICU beds today after the health department was miscounting beds previously. They were not supposed to be counting surge beds as available because they are not ready. I guess they don't have the covid wards any longer and that's part of the trigger. They would have to stop elective surgeries to make room for another surge. As we all know, hospitals can get overwhelmed quickly. 

 

 

This updated method, now posted in the Hospital Bed Usage and Availability section of our dashboard, shows the current bed availability without calculating in the additional (surge) beds hospitals added under Executive Order 2020-10. Initially, these surge beds were calculated into the total number and counted as full ⁠—  these surge beds should not be included in the bed availability, because they are not currently in use. 

Here’s how the updated method for calculating bed availability works:

Scenario: The hospitals report a total capacity of 1567 ICU beds with 369 beds available, and 641 surge beds that could be added on demand:

  • Previous Dashboard Calculation Method:  

Add the total 1567 beds  + 641 surge beds =  2208 total ICU beds.

Display 17% available ICU beds (369 available beds/2208 (total + surge) beds) 

  • New Calculation Method:

Divide the available 369 beds by the total 1567 beds = 23.5%.

Display 23.5% available ICU beds (369 available beds/1567 total ICU beds). 

This change has been reflected on the dashboard today. Later this week, we will be adding additional graphs showing the current capacity plus the number of beds added through the executive order, which will show the full capacity of our healthcare system if a surge plan is activated. 

https://directorsblog.health.azdhs.gov/new-method-for-determining-inpatient-and-icu-bed-availability-launched-today/

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Plum said:

I could ask dh when he gets home.

After reading up one this

Their largest hospital chain, Banner, is saying they are running out of beds, vents and ECMO treatments, that's really bad. Their dashboard is showing record numbers. Banner said the number of patients needing vents and invasive treatments has quadrupled and other hospitals are saying they are seeing increases as well.They are saying cases have spiked 110%. I believe AZ has a high population of retirees. The state has enough vents it's just Banner that's reached capacity for treatment. 

It looks like they implemented a new method of tracking ICU beds today after the health department was miscounting beds previously. They were not supposed to be counting surge beds as available because they are not ready. I guess they don't have the covid wards any longer and that's part of the trigger. They would have to stop elective surgeries to make room for another surge. As we all know, hospitals can get overwhelmed quickly. 

 

 

This updated method, now posted in the Hospital Bed Usage and Availability section of our dashboard, shows the current bed availability without calculating in the additional (surge) beds hospitals added under Executive Order 2020-10. Initially, these surge beds were calculated into the total number and counted as full ⁠—  these surge beds should not be included in the bed availability, because they are not currently in use. 

Here’s how the updated method for calculating bed availability works:

Scenario: The hospitals report a total capacity of 1567 ICU beds with 369 beds available, and 641 surge beds that could be added on demand:

  • Previous Dashboard Calculation Method:  

Add the total 1567 beds  + 641 surge beds =  2208 total ICU beds.

Display 17% available ICU beds (369 available beds/2208 (total + surge) beds) 

  • New Calculation Method:

Divide the available 369 beds by the total 1567 beds = 23.5%.

Display 23.5% available ICU beds (369 available beds/1567 total ICU beds). 

This change has been reflected on the dashboard today. Later this week, we will be adding additional graphs showing the current capacity plus the number of beds added through the executive order, which will show the full capacity of our healthcare system if a surge plan is activated. 

https://directorsblog.health.azdhs.gov/new-method-for-determining-inpatient-and-icu-bed-availability-launched-today/

 

I got lost somewhere between logic and math. Please help. 

 

something seems whacky

 

They were formerly counting non existent theoretical surge beds as if they were already in existence and already full? 

 

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Age:  A person who attended the Black Lives Matter protest in Melbourne has been diagnosed with COVID-19, prompting concerns others may have been infected at the rally.

Not good.

  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rhonda Patrick has another Q&A today

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Both Medcram and Dr John Campbell have youtube videos on Vitamin D today—not necessarily anything new for those of us who have been advocating Vitamin D for months, but good if you were looking for more or are new to this thread. 

 

DrBeen has one on magnesium that I found excellent. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Plum said:

I came on here to see if anyone had mentioned this. One of the people I’ve been following on FB who is crunching the numbers just said on his page that Arizona needed to be on lockdown now or Phoenix might be as bad or worse than NY in 2 weeks time.

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Pen said:

 

I got lost somewhere between logic and math. Please help. 

 

something seems whacky

 

They were formerly counting non existent theoretical surge beds as if they were already in existence and already full? 

 

 

Yes. Sounds about right. 

I think they were counting surge beds as if they were available and ready to go when really they have been reverted back to regular ICU beds as elective surgeries began. They can’t count those until the capacity hits the surge trigger to cancel elective surgeries and convert beds back to covid wards. There’s a difference between surge beds, which are potential beds in potential wards, and actual ICU beds. 

Does that make sense?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TCB said:

I came on here to see if anyone had mentioned this. One of the people I’ve been following on FB who is crunching the numbers just said on his page that Arizona needed to be on lockdown now or Phoenix might be as bad or worse than NY in 2 weeks time.

Their local news station said they could run out of beds completely by July if they keep pace. 

  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I would also note that it's quite possible to have ASD and a genetic disorder.  I work with many students with Down syndrome, as well as students with less common genetic disorder, who have co-occurring ASD.  In my mind those children absolutely have ASD and thinking of them that way, helps connect them with resources and strategies that will work for them. 

 

Do you know if there is a correlation between blood type and ASD?  Some research shows that patients with blood type A are more susceptible to covid than type O.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CuriousMomof3 said:

I would also note that it's quite possible to have ASD and a genetic disorder.  I work with many students with Down syndrome, as well as students with less common genetic disorder, who have co-occurring ASD.  In my mind those children absolutely have ASD and thinking of them that way, helps connect them with resources and strategies that will work for them. 

 

Yes that’s probably a better way to describe it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, GGardner said:

 

Do you know if there is a correlation between blood type and ASD?  Some research shows that patients with blood type A are more susceptible to covid than type O.

 

There have been things iirc that have indicated Blood type A more prevalent with autism.

I don’t know how strong  the worse outcomes for type A blood is in CV19.

it is an interesting possibility

Edited by Pen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Plum said:

 

I lurk on a board for health care workers and an MD from Arizona said some places are reaching capacity.

One of my brothers lives in Chandler. I'll ask him what he's hearing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Plum said:

Their local news station said they could run out of beds completely by July if they keep pace. 

Ugh my BIL (in the Phoenix area) has surgery scheduled for july (something urgent but would be considered elective since its not life threatening)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The Age:  A person who attended the Black Lives Matter protest in Melbourne has been diagnosed with COVID-19, prompting concerns others may have been infected at the rally.

Not good.

not good at all. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Ausmumof3 said:

The Age:  A person who attended the Black Lives Matter protest in Melbourne has been diagnosed with COVID-19, prompting concerns others may have been infected at the rally.

Not good.

Ugh, I hope being outside makes the difference.

I have been tracking cases in Hennepin County (where Floyd was murdered/protests began). This is also the hardest hit county in the state so there is a high likelihood that some protesters were asymptomatic covid carriers.  So far there has not been any significant uptick from what I can see. Actually cases have been declining here and that is with inceased testing. Hopefully that holds true here and in other areas where protests were being held.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TracyP said:

Ugh, I hope being outside makes the difference.

I have been tracking cases in Hennepin County (where Floyd was murdered/protests began). This is also the hardest hit county in the state so there is a high likelihood that some protesters were asymptomatic covid carriers.  So far there has not been any significant uptick from what I can see. Actually cases have been declining here and that is with inceased testing. Hopefully that holds true here and in other areas where protests were being held.

 

So far, protestors don’t seem to be going to get tested from reports I have heard. If people don’t get tested unless they have case severe enough for hospitalization, we may not know results of CV19 spread until secondary transmissions to more vulnerable populations happens.  If protesters stay away from parents and grandparents for a quarantine time, maybe that won’t be a problem. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, TCB said:

One of the people I’ve been following on FB who is crunching the numbers just said on his page that Arizona needed to be on lockdown now or Phoenix might be as bad or worse than NY in 2 weeks time.

 

I doubt that Arizona has the political will to shut down again, unless things get really, really bad.  And by then it will be too late.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, GGardner said:

 

Do you know if there is a correlation between blood type and ASD?  Some research shows that patients with blood type A are more susceptible to covid than type O.

Interesting....I need to check, but I want to say my son with ASD might be type A. I know his father was, so DS is either A or O, and I cannot remember for the life of me. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pen said:

 

So far, protestors don’t seem to be going to get tested from reports I have heard. If people don’t get tested unless they have case severe enough for hospitalization, we may not know results of CV19 spread until secondary transmissions to more vulnerable populations happens.  If protesters stay away from parents and grandparents for a quarantine time, maybe that won’t be a problem. 

I suppose it varies by location? Last week 4 test sites were set up around Minneapolis. The tests are free and they are encouraging everybody who attended protests to get tested. So far the numbers look encouraging, but it will take time to be sure.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, GGardner said:

 

I doubt that Arizona has the political will to shut down again, unless things get really, really bad.  And by then it will be too late.

Yeah, he was speaking from a medical, epidemiological point of view not a political one.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit of uplift:

https://youtu.be/qCzDZahqXl4

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Joker said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/06/11/us/missouri-hairstylists-coronavirus-clients-trnd/index.html

This is certainly a strong case for wearing masks! None of the hair stylists 140 customers have tested positive for the virus and no cases have been linked to them.

I thought I read somewhere that only 40ish people of the 140 took a test. The remaining people were called daily for two weeks and ask about their symptoms.

Please correct me if that information is not accurate.

Edited by amyx4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, amyx4 said:

I thought I read somewhere that only 40ish people of the 140 took a test. The remaining people were called daily for two weeks and ask about their symptoms.

Please correct me if that information is not accurate.

“Of the 140 clients and seven co-workers potentially exposed, 46 took tests that came back negative. All the others were quarantined for the duration of the coronavirus incubation period. The 14-day incubation period has now passed with no coronavirus cases linked to the salon beyond the two stylists, county health officials said.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/us-surgeons-perform-double-lung-transplant-on-covid-19-patient
“US surgeons perform double-lung transplant on Covid-19 patient

WASHINGTON (AFP) - Surgeons have performed a double-lung transplant on a Covid-19 patient in Chicago, the hospital that carried out the procedure said on Thursday (June 11), in what is thought to be a first in the United States.

The patient is a young Hispanic woman in her 20s, and had spent six weeks on a life support machine in the intensive care unit of Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago.

By early June, her lungs had become so badly damaged that it was decided that a transplant was her only option.

"A lung transplant was her only chance for survival," said Dr Ankit Bharat, chief of thoracic surgery and surgical director of the Northwestern Medicine Lung Transplant Programme.

He added that while the procedure itself was "technically challenging", it can be performed safely and thus "offers the terminally ill Covid-19 patients another option for survival".

It is believed to be the first time a double-lung transplant for a Covid-19 patient has taken place in the US.

China previously announced a similar operation on a 66-year-old woman in March in eastern Zhejiang province.

Before the US patient could receive the transplant, she had to test negative for the Sars-CoV-2 virus - and needed her other organ systems working well enough to give her a realistic chance of surviving.

"For many days, she was the sickest person in the Covid ICU - and possibly the entire hospital," said Dr Beth Malsin, a critical care doctor.

"There were so many times, day and night, our team had to react quickly to help her oxygenation and support her other organs to make sure they were healthy enough to support a transplant if and when the opportunity came."

It was this combined effort - keeping her alive on life support long enough for her body to clear the virus and test negative - that paved the way for the successful outcome.

It is very unusual for a young woman to have suffered such extensive lung damage from the coronavirus, and doctors hope to study her closely to learn more about why this happened.

For now, they are hopeful she will go on to make a full recovery despite having almost succumbed to multi-organ failure.”

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, EmseB said:

Does anyone else get the NYT morning briefing in their email? I found the "where reopening is working" article kind of interesting.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/11/briefing/coronavirus-national-guard-nascar-your-thursday-briefing.html

I’ve wondered if the issue is weather related, particularly the heat. Places that are struggling have much hotter summers so I wonder if they’re opening up but people are spending time indoors? Here, in the Midwest it gets hot but not like Texas, FL, and Arizona. We’re all spending time outside.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our public health director, Dr. Amy Acton, announced her immediate resignation today. I am super sad to hear this. She was truly a calming voice in the midst of the most scary part of this pandemic.

  • Sad 11

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My younger kid's best friend from school is having a "socially distanced birthday party" on Saturday.  I have no idea of the details or what that means, but my kid hasn't seen anyone outside of our family for three months.  I think I'm going to let her go.  There are 392 cases as of today in our area of 250,000.  

I hope it's not a stupid decision, but while she's doing better than my oldest, I worry about her mental health.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, whitehawk said:

North Carolina offers a reopening guidebook for public school districts, with several plans to choose from: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z5Mp2XzOOPkBYN4YvROz4YOyNIF2UoWq9EZfrjvN4x8/preview?pru=AAABcsdvjwA*1iDZr-5T77y9JJ2lXMcxvg#

 

Here is Oregon’s.

It might be interesting to compare several, especially while there still time for public comments and revisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Pen said:

 

Here is Oregon’s.

It might be interesting to compare several, especially while there still time for public comments and revisions. 

Link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...