Menu

What do you really need for an international flight?

Dmmetler

In cabin you will want:
-eye mask (so you can sleep)
-a light blanket or jacket (it gets very cold up there)
-snacks (packed, packaged granola bars, individual packets of trail mix, etc.) (you will be hungry and off schedule and meals in flight are....wonky)(packaged items can get through customs/etc, as long as not liquids)
-ear buds? books? games? something to occupy your time, particularly in case of delays, etc. 
-gum (for landings/take offs)
-small first aid kit (tylenol, immodium, bandaids, chewable pepto or other anti-nausea something)
-pens (for filling out customs forms)
-cross-body bag for passports & tickets; it is best if one person keeps up with these (except for when going through official lines, they are absolute sticklers that each person must present his/her own), but in the airport, on the flight, etc., a small, lightweight crossbody bag is best that you can wear. I honestly do not take mine off during flights, period, so that we never risk them getting lost. Once we're through lines, all passports/boarding passes come back to me and into the bag. When we reach our hotel, into the safe.

Anything else is extra; a pillow can be nice, but I usually make due with the airline one (which you can keep once you get it). 

• Like 4

We made several long flights back and forth to Japan when we lived there and then a long trip from Japan to England and back. Based on those experiences, here is what I would bring...

Socks - I always brought a pair of slipper socks on long flights because my feet are always cold on long flights.

Lip balm

To freshen up before landing, they always gave us a steamed towel to wipe your face with. If you don't want to use their steamed towels, you might consider bringing some kind of facial wipe. On the same note, I'd recommend no makeup on long overnight flights. Also to freshen up with....

breath mints or those listerine strips

travel size deodorant

small brush and ponytail ties if you have long hair

any medications that you take in the morning or at bedtime

some kind of pouch or bag that you can access easily for your passports and any other documentation you need to carry with you. Waterproof is a plus in case it's not all sunny skies when you are dragging your luggage around.

More than one kind of in flight entertainment, you are going to be sitting there for a long time, possibly too excited/anxious to sleep. Bring a couple of different things to keep yourself entertained like  puzzle books, something to read, perhaps a movie of your choice downloaded to your phone in case you don't like the in flight movie. Some flights had the individual tv screens in the back of the seat in front of you. Those were awesome because you had lots of different "channels" to choose from with different movies, cartoons, documentaries, travel shows about your destination, a games channel and a GPS channel so you could "see" where the plane was in close to real time.

I never had any problem on international flights asking the attendant for a snack between meals. They always had cookies, pretzels, trail mix, jello, fruit cups and drinks that they would give you free of charge. All you had to do was ask and they were more than happy to oblige on international flights. I've never seen a domestic flight with quite the same amount of snack food available but the international flights I went on definitely did. Unless you have allergies to be concerned about or a picky eater, I wouldn't bring much in the way of snacks. It's just more stuff to carry.

• Like 1

Passport 

Medicine

one days worth of clothing in case the check in luggage goes missing

some cash as well as credit cards

kindle, iPad loaded with reading and viewing stuff from Hoopla (library)

Cellphone 

powerbank 

International travel adaptor (ETA: and all the relevant charging cables)

empty insulated water bottle

All the above can fit into a small (ETA: 24 liter capacity) backpack.

Edited by Arcadia
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Arcadia said:

Passport 

Medicine

Cellphone

powerbank 

International travel adaptor

All the above can fit into a small backpack.

This. I make sure the one day of clothing includes a long-sleeve jacket or pullover or something I can use on the plane when I get chilly.

Plus Dramamine or Bonine.

And a small paperback crossword puzzle book. I love to read but can't really concentrate on reading while flying. A crossword puzzle book works because I can do it in short spurts.

• Like 1

We were overseas this summer.   I packed, Phone, iPad, chargers, a couple pair of ear buds, crochet project, book, small notebook/pencil/pen, neck pillow, eye mask, a few snacks.  Anything you might need immediately at your destination.  I put medications and vitamins in my carry on.   I did put a cheap toothbrush and travel toothpaste in there. We always buy bottles of water to carry on once we're through security.  Small cross body RFID purse with ID, Passport, credit cards, cash card, cash US/foreign.  My phone fit in mine too.  

We intentionally dressed in layers.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Jaybee said:

Don't skimp on the extra outfit. Lots of things can happen both on or off the plane. Really.

Lol. An extra outfit is always good.

Traveling many years ago (when my ds was about 6 or so), we had an orange juice issue on the way (oj can get into your underwear??? 🤣) & a Pepsi issue on the way home for an international flight. The Pepsi issue happened during boarding so it would have been a very long flight indeed without something clean & non-sticky to put on. I realize he was 6, but spills can happen to anyone, especially with turbulence.

The address of where you are staying as this is sometimes required on forms.

A very good book (I like to take a paper book in addition to my Kindle. Heaven forbid that my technology fail and I have nothing to read!)

I presume you are traveling with your daughter, so I'd suggest a game that you can play together. (Love Letter is small and has only sixteen cards, so it's lightweight. I also like Stellar Speller that we got many years ago from Discovery Toys as it is a light one piece game.) A book of puzzles can be fun; my husband and I like to do cryptograms together.

Chocolate!

Regards,

Kareni

• Like 1

I try to take a shower and use long-lasting deodorant shortly before the flight, so I don't have to worry about being gross when going through immigration at the destination.  I also try to time my sleep so I am not dead tired on the plane.  Used to like to sleep on the plane, but now I can't get comfortable.

Passport, of course!  And a pen to fill out forms.

Pack a toothbrush with toothpaste on it (a tube of toothpaste may get taken).  Eye drops if you get dry eye.  Tylenol in case you need it.

Water for sure.  Lots of napkins/tissues.  They will give you food.

My butt pillow (actually a neck pillow that I sit on), since my tailbone hurts when I sit.  Man I miss being able to sit without pain ....

Two thin jackets for layering.

Computer (not like you could check it anyway).  iphone.  Earbuds (may be supplied, but just in case).

Something else to do?  Usually there will be in-flight movies / games, but sometimes they don't work.  Your computer / iphone may be enough, or you might want a book or two.  Or magazines that you can throw out once you are done with them.

An extra change of clothes (or at least underwear, t-shirt, comfy bottoms) in case your luggage doesn't arrive when you do, or you have an unplanned layover.

Shoes or slip-ons that are both comfy/loose (your feet will swell) and warm enough for the weather.  Loose socks so you can take off your shoes when you are sitting.

Others have given you some great tips, but for a multi-legged trip of about 24 hours, I’d add:

Metamucil/psyllium capsules. They will make you happier later. 😄 Costco sells them for not too much. Personally, I’d start with 4 and then 12 hours later, take 4 more. Drink lots of water.

Melatonin and glycine to help reset yourself to your new time zone.

Packs of travel Kleenex.

A toothbrush. Just brush in plane’s bathroom and rinse with your own water. Or at airport.

Earplugs if the sound might bother you.

At least one large, empty water bottle per person. Planes almost always will have beverages but weird things can happen. You want your water for sure which, like Curious Mom said, you can fill after security.

I also bring an empty cardboard coffee cup with lid because nothing is worse than trying to take in your morning coffee while hitting turbulence.

I’d bring a salad and healthy-ish snacks to eat on the plane. Plus a few not-so-healthy snacks like peanut M&Ms. King size. 🙂

A travel size pack of Lysol wipes to wipe down tray, screen buttons and arm rests.

For long trips I like having a big memory foam or good-quality micro bead neck pillow. They’re great for twisting into odd shapes that you can lie down on.

I also cover my under seat bag with a plastic bag so I can eventually put my feet on it, especially when I’m trying to sleep.

Disposable plastic bags are good for trash.

A very large light scarf that you can use as a light blanket.

Noise-reducing headphones are not necessary but make it easier to hear your entertainment.

A multi USB charger so you can charge multiple devices at once in the airport and on plane. Sometimes airports don’t have many working outlets. Remember the cables.

https://www.amazon.com/Charger-Amoner-Upgraded-Portable-Galaxy9/dp/B07PRQ1BX7/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=usb+charger&qid=1574819619&sr=8-4

Wear comfy clothes and shoes, get up and walk about often when you can and if you have roomier areas to stretch, do so.

ETA: I think Google Translate allows you to take a photo with your camera of foreign words and then it translates. I don’t use it often so I’m not 100% sure but you might want to check it out if you’ll be dealing with a foreign language you don’t know.

Edited by BeachGal

Came back to add (I got interrupted earlier, and then remembered later) -- 

-toothbrush/toothpaste & deodarant; travel sizes -- you well want to freshen up somewhere along the way
-if it's a concern *at all*, feminine hygiene products, at least a handful just in case. I've found that the travel can either delay things (yay) or speed them up (not so yay); after the first time of having to hunt a foreign airport drugstore for supplies.....I tuck in a few just in case. Even if I think it's not expected at that time. 
-hair brush, hair scrunchie, etc. I like to wear my hair in a braid or braids (assuming you can sleep that way) as I have hair that tangles like mad just from seatbacks
-extra clothes, not only in case of spills, etc, but also 3 legs to your journey....you never know when a delay on one can interfere with you &/or your luggage making the next, etc. I've had two different international flights (single leg journeys, but luggage already checked in) where we ended up delayed so long that they had to cancel and put us in a hotel for the night. It was nice to have *something* in my carry-on to change into. 
-yes to the fuzzy socks/slippers/etc
-snacks available on the airlines may (largely) depend on the airline....we've flown United for a lot.....no steam towel, no extra snacks available, so we brought ours (still fit everything in one backpack for me & youngest DS; DH always carries his laptop bag; the older 2 always share a backpack) (and our flights always were 24 hrs door to door; not flight time but travel time once you include to/from airports and such)
-water -- you can definitely get up and ask for more water all during the flight; every time I wake on the flight, I get up, walk up my aisle, cross over at the bathroom, back down the aisle to the back to ask for a cup of water, drink it, walk back up to go to the bathroom, then back to my seat. Keeps you hydrated, exercising against DVT, etc.  Buy a water through security for at the gate. 

My only addition is what type of shoes to wear as my feet have always swelled in the air.  I once wore cute ballet flats on a plane, went bare foot during the flight,  and had the impossible task of getting my sausage feet back in those shoes on at the other side.  So if you have any reason to believe you feet will swell plan your footwear accordingly.

I now normally wear tennis shoes and let the laces out before I board and tighten them as much as possible while waiting for my luggage at the destination.  Crocs are awesome for travel and I do wear those at times when I know the swelling might be bad. 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dmmetler said:

We have a very long flight ahead of us (three legs, totalling 24 hours of flight time). The lists of things to take are rather long (and seem to be advertisements), to the point that I can't imagine carrying it all on. So what do I need,really???

What company do you fly with? How many layovers do you have?

I fly to Europe every year. We started when my son was 6 months old. I have never had any problems. Here what I take with me:

• Passport
  • Letter signed by my husband that he agrees that I take our son out of country
  • Printed Airplane Tickets
  • Medicine (Tylenol and Motrin included)
  • Lysol wipes
  • Hand sanitizer
  • Knitting Project (circular needles only, no scissors (use nail clipper instead))
  • Book, Uno cards or some other easy to pack game
  • Notebook and coloring pencils
  • Extra clothes for my son, and extra underwear for me (it happened few times that we missed our connecting flight and had to stay at the hotel)
  • Cellphone, charger, headphones, iPad, headphones and charger for son
  • Long sleeve hoodie or something that will keep us warm
  • Cosmetic bag with tooth brush
  • ZIP lock bag for toothpaste, any liquid (shampoo, mouthwash...)

If you fly with Delta you will get sleeping mask, ear buds and headphones. United Airlines / American Airlines give only headphones. Lufthansa and KLM usually give just headphones. We usually wear long pants and long sleeves in the airplane for two reasons - it gets cold, I do not want my skin to touch the seats. I also wear snickers simply because it's easy to put them on / take them off.

If you travel with baby make sure that you have enough diapers for the trip (and clothes too). Also, make sure to have a bottle so you can give your baby to drink during the take off and landing. Many times kids cry because their ears hurt during take off and landing. Chewing gum or drinking helps with the pressure in ears.

If you get stuck on the airport because you missed your flight ask for the hotel room if you have to wait for ten hours or more (especially if you have kids).

One more thing.... Do not worry, everything will be OK. Enjoy your trip!!! 🙂

Edited by Vanchy

Not that much;) they hand out earphones if you forget them. I don’t fly without something extra moisturizing on my face bc that air is drying. On an extra long flight this older couple put on full-on sheet masks. I’m not that dedicated though I’ve considered it 😂. Gum if your ears bother you. Most international flights I’ve been on hand out water in bottles or there is a little bay they set it out in, so I don’t think I’ve ever carried a bottle with me. Yes to the extra outfit for the kids, I can’t be bothered for myself even though it’s good advice: a lady spilled a full drink on my DH one flight he was on. 

Edited by madteaparty

12 hours ago, Arcadia said:

Passport 

Medicine

Cellphone 

powerbank 

International travel adaptor (ETA: and all the relevant charging cables)

All the above can fit into a small (ETA: 24 liter capacity) backpack.

This is pretty much my list--with a couple of additions:  

• I always, always, always bring a scarf.  Even in the height of summer.  A good scarf doubles as a shawl, blanket, eye mask, bib, weird hair coverer 😉,  as well as neck protection against the drafts of a/c blowing at me (which I dislike intensely).
  • I also always bring some of those EmergenC packets: I take one every 12 hours throughout our flights and for the next 24 hours upon landing.  The drying air on airplanes makes one more susceptible to picking up bugs--this nips them for me.
  • Most recent addition (probably due to age more than anything) is to bring some Melatonin to help with jet lag.  

Enjoy your trip!

We'll be on Air New Zealand except for the first leg, which will be a United flight, since they code share with ANZ in the US. DD just turned 15, so we're past the baby stage and are into the digital device stage.  We'll be leaving in Winter and landing in Summer, and a pretty hot one at that. 

Edited by dmmetler

3 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Gosh, I don't really take anything, beyond what I normally have in my purse, and maybe a book. I fly twice a year from here to DC. It takes anywhere from 13 to 20 hours. 

Yeah, me either. I do take lots of food though, because well...teenage boy. 🙂

But I travel with a carry on only that fits under my seat, no matter how long a trip or how variable. I've never felt a need for “extras”.

15 hours ago, Arcadia said:

powerbank

Just pulling this down, in case op has never done them. Amazon has them, and they come in sizes. So when I do trips (Disney, long days, haha), I take a power bank that can recharge all my important devices x number of times. It will actually say. So if you'll have two people and an ipad and a phone and a kindle (whatever), then get a big enough powerbank to charge each of them fully through at least once. It might be a little stupid huge, but the joy of a charged device will be immense.

Will your plane have inflight streaming tv? Haven't done international in years, but domestic often does. So think through how many hours your device will go when streaming tv and then you'll know how many times you might need to charge. You'll probably sleep, so I would think once through and then a freshen on your phone would be enough. 

The power banks will go on sale for Thanksgiving. I have this one                                             Anker PowerCore 10000, One of The Smallest and Lightest 10000mAh External Batteries, Ultra-Compact Portable Charger, High-Speed Charging Technology Power Bank for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and More                                       but I think for a flight that long I would get something bigger like                                             Portable Charger Power Bank 25800mAh Huge Capacity External Battery Pack Dual Output Port with LED Status Indicator Power Bank for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, Android Phone,Tablet & etc(Black)                                       With my 10,000 mAh unit I can charge a kindle or ipad and hit my phone a couple times. So going bigger should give you two big devices and your phones, no problem. 

**Noise canceling headphones** We like our Bose, and all of us (ds, dd, I) wear them. They come in a rather slim case that will slide into your carryon.

Edited by PeterPan
  • Thanks 1

Some will hate my preboarding routine but I’m sharing it anyways. 

The day before I go to the dr and get a cortisone/steroid shot and a B12/complex combo shot and an rx for a z-pack of antibiotics. I have ears that are extremely difficult to equalize and often don’t at all and a bad back. Flights can be down right painful. And planes are basicly Petri dishes with wings. I don’t use the z-pack unless I start to feel “off”.  I have zero desire to have a trip ruined bc I got sick or couldn’t recover from constant pain. 

I also pack:

medicine of various kinds and hygiene items like deodorant, lip balm, lotion, and don’t forget some elderberry lozenges..

a knitting project

Preferred electronics and charging needs

a book

a super large but thin microfiber towel that can be used as a sheet or tiny pillow

Important funding, travel papers and such in my money belt. I figure if I somehow lose from being buckled under my pants - I have bigger problems than that I lost it. I don’t pack clothes in carry on. If I lose my luggage, insurance and funds on hand will buy what I need to get through. Almost every airport has some clothing.  Under garments are easily washed and quickly dried in a pinch. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Gosh, I don't really take anything, beyond what I normally have in my purse, and maybe a book. I fly twice a year from here to DC. It takes anywhere from 13 to 20 hours. 

Our trips were normally 33 hours or more (3 or more flight legs). Once a teenager had a mishap and we had to buy clothes in the airport. Not cheap and hard to find in a hurry. Once a kid spilled a full drink all over self and seat at the beginning of a flight (a run through the airport with no time to eat had us getting on a flight with fast food meals). That was a sticky mess. Never happened to me, but I've known of others getting vomited on by a fellow passenger. We've had flights delayed and sometimes needed fresh clothes due to time, missing luggage, and too-warm flights rather than the usual cold ones. It may seem like too much and a hassle when you don't use the extra clothes, but when you do need them, it sure is great to have them!

We usually only take one or two small snacks apiece (unless with a small child), because there is often a place on the long international flights where you can go pick up something if nothing is being served for awhile.

Edited by Jaybee

I haven't read the previous replies. Depending upon the age of the passengers, I believe that unless they are young children, they should have their ID (Passports, etc.) on their person at all times.  My DD had in her "Personal item" (the small bag that went under the seat in front of her) her 2 Passports (dual citizen) and papers that were critical to her and her cell phone and eyeglasses and things like that. Everything else was in her 2 checked pieces of luggage.

NOTE: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DRINK ANYTHING ON AN AIRPLANE MADE WITH WATER. THAT INCLUDES COFFEE.  Very recently, I read that one should also not wash their hands in a restroom on a Civil Turbojet. The water is quite possibly contaminated...

Be aware of "Jet Lag" which is perfectly normal and if you are flying East to West (or v.v.) it will take you days to get back to "normal".  That's perfectly normal. 

Piggy backing on Lanny

I suggest take advantage of traveling companions. 

Everyone has copies of the travel docs for the entire party. Flights and hotel reservation info, copies of passports. And we put a full change of clothes in each other’s check in bags. This way if one party has a loss, they still have what they need.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PeterPan said:

Just pulling this down, in case op has never done them. Amazon has them, and they come in sizes. So when I do trips (Disney, long days, haha), I take a power bank that can recharge all my important devices x number of times. It will actually say. So if you'll have two people and an ipad and a phone and a kindle (whatever), then get a big enough powerbank to charge each of them fully through at least once. It might be a little stupid huge, but the joy of a charged device will be immense.

Will your plane have inflight streaming tv? Haven't done international in years, but domestic often does. So think through how many hours your device will go when streaming tv and then you'll know how many times you might need to charge. You'll probably sleep, so I would think once through and then a freshen on your phone would be enough. 

The power banks will go on sale for Thanksgiving. I have this one                                             Anker PowerCore 10000, One of The Smallest and Lightest 10000mAh External Batteries, Ultra-Compact Portable Charger, High-Speed Charging Technology Power Bank for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy and More                                       but I think for a flight that long I would get something bigger like                                             Portable Charger Power Bank 25800mAh Huge Capacity External Battery Pack Dual Output Port with LED Status Indicator Power Bank for iPhone, Samsung Galaxy, Android Phone,Tablet & etc(Black)                                       With my 10,000 mAh unit I can charge a kindle or ipad and hit my phone a couple times. So going bigger should give you two big devices and your phones, no problem. 

**Noise canceling headphones** We like our Bose, and all of us (ds, dd, I) wear them. They come in a rather slim case that will slide into your carryon.

I had no idea what those charger things are called. Thank you!

Btw, if you are ever in a small airport with only one working outlet, you’ll be able to charge your device and other passengers’, restoring peace to the world! We usually pack a small power strip as well in our carryon. When we fly into Kona, it comes in handy because there is only one working outlet in the main waiting area.

We have the Bose headphones, too. They’re great on planes.

Edited by BeachGal
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, BeachGal said:

I had no idea what those charger things are called. Thank you!

Btw, if you are ever in a small airport with only one working outlet, you’ll be able to charge your device and other passengers’, restoring peace to the world! We usually pack a small power strip as well in our carryon. When we fly into Kona, it comes in handy because there is only one working outlet in the main waiting area.

We have the Bose headphones, too. They’re great on planes.

The brand ANker is the gold standard in chargers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BeachGal said:

When we fly into Kona, it comes in handy because there is only one working outlet in the main waiting area.

You could also look into international travel power adapters that have USB ports. For example, this one has five USB ports so you could use a laptop and charge a few phones and tablets at the same time, great for a long transit wait.

https://www.amazon.com/Universal-Travel-Power-Adapter-International/dp/B07DQTL87X

• Thanks 1

It looks like Air New Zealand does have snacks in flight but you have to buy them. I would honestly just budget for that because I hate being overburdened with stuff to carry in the airport and on the plane. The fewer things I have to juggle and carry through immigration and customs, the happier I am. I'm a very light traveler, even when I was toting toddlers and kids through international flights. YMMV.

I couldn't find anything immediately about the steamed towels on Air New Zealand flights but I find it odd that some airlines don't offer them. We've flown on American Airlines, Virgin Atlantic, military Space-A, ANA, and China Eastern. All offered steamed towels on landing on overnight international flights and a few snacks when asked for, free of charge. 

I would be careful with the fiber supplements on a long flight if you don't already take them. My husband would probably be happier later if he took them on or before a flight but I would end up with the runs if I took it! Not the way I would want to start a trip or vacation! The difference between us is that dh has anxiety about using public restrooms and already has bowel issues even at home. I don't have any issue using public restrooms and don't need any kind of supplement to help me be regular. I actually have to watch my fiber intake lest I end up in the bathroom more often than I would like! Fiber supplements aren't a bad suggestion at all, I would just use caution and possibly test it out before using it on the trip so you know how your body reacts to it.

The tylenol is a great idea too. I forgot about the time we landed in South Korea with an hour layover before the last leg of our flight before going home to Japan and my then 3yo son got the only ear infection he ever had as a kid! Luckily, another traveler took pity on us and gave us a dose of children's motrin to give him but that layover and last leg of our trip were flat miserable for all of us. I had my ear drum rupture on take off on one of our trips to Japan as well. I had just gotten over a cold and my ear didn't hurt when we boarded the plane but it was excruciating when it ruptured under the pressure of taking off! So definitely bring some kind of pain reliever with you.

Lastly find out what is forbidden or heavily monitored when brought into New Zealand. Some countries can have strange little things that can get confiscated in customs or will be carefully examined causing you to have to wait in customs until you are cleared. I had Benedryl capsules confiscated in customs when we landed in Tokyo once. One couple we met on the plane had to wait two hours in customs while the customs agents watched a dvd they had in their carry on to check it for porn. That actually happened to quite a few people we knew while we were in Japan. When we landed in London, we got through customs no problem but immigration took forever because we had unusual paperwork that took a while to get everyone's ok on. My point is take the time to research the New Zealand immigration and customs process so there is less of a chance of an unpleasant surprise or delay when you land.

34 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

. I had Benedryl capsules confiscated in customs when we landed in Tokyo once.

If you need Benadryl for medical reasons (e.g. hives), I would get a bottle with doctor’s prescription. I have used Tokyo Narita airport and they did not have issues with any of the medications (Salbutamol, Sudafed, Tylenol, rescue inhaler) I carried with me that has my name on it. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Murphy101 said:

.. I don’t pack clothes in carry on. If I lose my luggage, insurance and funds on hand will buy what I need to get through. Almost every airport has some clothing.  Under garments are easily washed and quickly dried in a pinch. 

When we went to China, my bags didn't make it.  I went shopping at an airport and the biggest pants I could find were way too skinny for me ... and I was at a very healthy weight by US standards.  😛  I ended up having to go shopping at a local store where the one person who spoke any English had maybe 10 words ... and as I was trying to explain my needs he hollered AH, BIGGER!!! to the whole store.  LOL!  I found 3 items that were awkward but would do for the emergency.  Then I almost got arrested because I tried to use a Visa without a password.  Ended up spending all of the local currency we had.  My bags never caught up with me until I was checking in for the return flight (10 days later).

So ... that is why I always pack something ... preferably something thin & easy to wash / quick to dry, but decent enough to wear in public if the need should arise.

Our bags were delayed in Dubai, and the airline (Emirates) gave us each a bag of stuff - basic hygiene items, a white polo shirt, and a pajama thing.  The pajama thing was of a fabric that revealed our every curve, i.e. needed to be covered up even in our hotel room with only women.  Also, the largest size was about the size of a healthy American woman.  It was better than nothing, but having my own t-shirt, shorts, and undies was still of value.

4 hours ago, Arcadia said:

If you need Benadryl for medical reasons (e.g. hives), I would get a bottle with doctor’s prescription. I have used Tokyo Narita airport and they did not have issues with any of the medications (Salbutamol, Sudafed, Tylenol, rescue inhaler) I carried with me that has my name on it. 

I think it was Haneda that we went through when my Benedryl was confiscated. We went through both Narita and Haneda on different trips. Or maybe it was when we went through Japanese customs when we landed in Okinawa because we flew in from South Korea. Anyways, I don't even remember why it was confiscated. I just remember I was ready to get home and didn't really care that they wanted to confiscate it so I didn't fight it. I was just pointing it out because Benedryl is something people commonly bring on flights to help them sleep. A lot of times, if you haven't traveled internationally a lot, it can be surprising what seemingly innocuous things they can decide to confiscate in customs. Unless it is something like illegal drugs or something like that, you aren't usually in any legal trouble when you have an item confiscated in customs, it's just a hassle that can be easily avoided with a little bit of extra planning, like getting a prescription for something you need for a medical condition that you usually buy over the counter, like Benedryl.

8 hours ago, Jaybee said:

Our trips were normally 33 hours or more (3 or more flight legs). Once a teenager had a mishap and we had to buy clothes in the airport. Not cheap and hard to find in a hurry. Once a kid spilled a full drink all over self and seat at the beginning of a flight (a run through the airport with no time to eat had us getting on a flight with fast food meals). That was a sticky mess. Never happened to me, but I've known of others getting vomited on by a fellow passenger. We've had flights delayed and sometimes needed fresh clothes due to time, missing luggage, and too-warm flights rather than the usual cold ones. It may seem like too much and a hassle when you don't use the extra clothes, but when you do need them, it sure is great to have them!

Agree! I always always always carry a change of clothing in my carryon. I was once covered in vomit by a passenger on an overnight flight who ate the airline breakfast of cheese omelet, sausage, pastry, and pink yogurt, drank 2 cans of Coke, and then literally exploded when we hit turbulence. When I flew home with DD after the adoption, she puked an entire bottle of formula all over me shortly after takeoff. A co-worker once got her period while asleep on an overnight flight to Japan and soaked through her white pants; she left the plane with an airline blanket around her waist, and then discovered that her luggage had been lost. A gallon-sized ziplock with a tee shirt, yoga pants, and underwear, with all the air squished out, takes up very little space and can save a lot of stress, hassle, and expense in case of emergency! 

• Like 1

I second:

-nasal spray

-lip balm

-lotion

After that much time in the plane you will be pretty dried out.

Also, I like to use the bathroom about an hour before landing to: use wipes to clean up, put on fresh moisturizer and deodorant, change underclothes, brush my teeth and hair. I feel pretty gross after that much time on a plane.

I usually take some ibuprofen because sitting that long makes my hips and knees achey.

Earplugs help because the engine noise can really start getting to you after a while.

Yes, bring a change of clothes and chargers/backup battery for electronics. Also I like to pack things in my carryon that would be hard to replace upon landing if I needed to. 

I always make copies of credit cards, passports, and any other important documents and leave them with someone at home in case anything is lost or stolen. Only bring what you must and leave the rest at home.