Menu

To go to urgent care or not UPDATED

lexi

My 2 year old had a bad experience with an instructor at swim lessons tonight. She swallowed a ton of water. Her stomach is very bloated and swollen. She’s been complaining of stomach pain. And she’s been throwing up water  several times over the past two hours. 

Should I take her somewhere? Should I keep her here at home and watch her? What should I watch for? 

She’s so uncomfortable and can’t sleep. She’s in our room so I can keep an eye on her but she’s just moaning and throwing up. I am so worried. 

My older children are all swimmers and nothing like this has ever happened to them before. 

Update: We went to ER. No fluid in lungs that they could see or hear. Lungs are inflamed so they think she probably did get some fluid in them and that’s why they are irritated. But not enough to cause issues. Seems like most of it went straight to her tummy.

Her tummy is still bloated and aches. They think she swallowed a ton of water. She’s supposed to eat a bland diet and have some electrolyte drinks today. She needs to take it easy and only have a little at a time since her tummy is still very upset. She has kept down a bit of juice for several hours now. 

She has no fever or any other issues and her oxygen levels are perfect. She has no coughing either. We’re supposed to watch her for those things but they felt like her scans were great and she shouldn’t have any issues other than a tummy ache for a day or two. 

Sorry it took so long to update. I had to nurse the baby and try to get a bit of sleep. She fell asleep in our room in her “nest” that we made under my desk. She just woke up and is in a pretty good mood. Thankfully it’s the weekend and my hubby is home so he can help out with her. 

I’m hoping for a nap today. And it was really sweet that when we got home our little dog was beside herself with worry and has not left our sides. She’s been trying to sit on me to prevent me from leaving the house again. Poor dog. She has anxiety. She freaked out when I left in the middle of the night. 

Now to spend the day doing laundry and washing sheets. Yuck. We did not make it to the bathroom last night. 

Edited by lexi
  • Like 2
  • Sad 6

2 minutes ago, lexi said:

My 2 year old had a bad experience with an instructor at swim lessons tonight. She swallowed a ton of water. Her stomach is very bloated and swollen. She’s been complaining of stomach pain. And she’s been throwing up water  several times over the past two hours. 

Should I take her somewhere? Should I keep her here at home and watch her? What should I watch for? 

She’s so uncomfortable and can’t sleep. She’s in our room so I can keep an eye on her but she’s just moaning and throwing up. I am so worried. 

My older children are all swimmers and nothing like this has ever happened to them before. 

Take her in.  The risk of dry drowning and secondary drowning are a real thing.

Edited by melmichigan
  • Like 6

Oh hugs mama! How hard to go through, and so scary! 

• I think you can buy a pulse oximeter in the store these days, maybe call the local drug store and ask? Or I think some phones you can put an app on them that will do it using the camera lens on your finger! Might give you peace of mind. But sounds like she will be fine. 

I’m so glad she doesn’t have enough fluid in her lungs to make it a concern.  That’s always the hard part about these things when sitting behind a keyboard, until those scans are run there is no way of knowing with a child that age.  I’m hoping you will have an uneventful day and can all get some rest knowing she’s on the mend.  Please follow-up with the swim facility, that should not happen.  So scary!