Menu

Someone used an apostrophe to pluralize last Saturday (or RIP Mira)

milovany

That's what one of my sons said Sunday night.  Our dear 13.5 year old cat, Mira, passed away in her favorite chair Saturday night.  She was actually healthy enough for an indoor-outdoor cat, she just tended to to fight at night and she'd had a doozy a couple of weeks ago.  After that, an infection developed in a cut on her head, which we had cleaned up under anesthesia, but then the infection move to her right eye.  We thought we were going to have her eye removed, but when I took her in for that surgery last Thursday, the vet called and said she thought it looked better and that with my permission, she'd do a different procedure, one that is less invasive, to try and save the eye.  They called later and said that went well.  When I picked her up on Friday, they still said all was well, but when we got her out of her box (long story, but a cat carrier was not an option; we used a plastic storage bin to transport her) back at home, she didn't seem well.  She stood in a funny position for awhile. I put her in her chair and we went about our plans that night and next morning.  I told myself it was just slow recovery; I didn't really know.  By the next afternoon, she was just lying under the kitchen table when she did a weird struggling flip thing accompanied by a strange cry.  I went to pick her up -- and I knew it was bad.  I cradled her on the couch and could tell that the life was fading from her. She was unresponsive by this time; she urinated on me and I set her gently in her chair. She died about three hours later.  I have no idea what happened (haven't talked to the vet yet about possibilities) and that makes me saddest of all.  She was fine (except for the eye) when I took her in on Thursday and so to have her gone so suddenly has been a bit difficult.  There was a slight indication in her pre-anesthesia blood test that something might be starting with her kidneys, so it could have been that.  It could have been sepsis with the infection moving into her blood, I suppose. 

She was a unique cat to us.  She wouldn't win any awards for Miss Congeniality, lol. She was somewhat warm with us, but on her terms (mainly if she was in the house because she wanted to be).  To the end, we had to be careful not to startle her or do something she didn't want, or she'd swipe at us almost involuntarily. In her friendlier moments, when she was ready for it, she'd cuddle up next to me on the couch in the evenings and I'd give her a good head rubbing, which she loved. My 16yo daughter was also one of her favorite people; she could pick her up almost any time and nuzzle her. 

I miss her a ton. We buried her in the flowerbed out front where she loved to stalk prey (and my son threw some hay on top of her body because she loved sleeping on the top hay bale in the hay shed).  🙂   Rest in peace, Mira Capira.  

ETA 1 - While I wonder why they sent her home when she was in pain (they may not have known because she would have fought them when they put her back in the box and they would have been dealing with that), I do realize that I'm so very glad she died at home with us, and not in the clinic by herself over the weekend. 

ETA 2 - For those wondering about my subject line, there's a boardie saying that "a kitten dies every time you use an apostrophe to pluralize."

Mira 3.JPG

Edited by milovany
  • Like 1
  • Sad 31

Thanks to all who replied.  Your wishes and words mean a lot.  I added a picture, love this one.  I'm starting to get over the memories of watching her die, and just remembering her the way she was those many years. I just got off the phone with the vet and she thinks it was her kidneys and the stress she was under just being at the vet and under anesthesia. 

Edited by milovany
  • Like 2

I’m sorry. I was just looking at some old pictures of my Thor Bear, who went over the rainbow bridge in Aug 2017. I miss his silly self. He was such a character.

B58B0F3A-65F1-4376-B43F-20F94B58EF2D.jpeg

• Like 8
  • Sad 2

Just now, Quill said:

I’m sorry. I was just looking at some old pictures of my Thor Bear, who went over the rainbow bridge in Aug 2017. I miss his silly self. He was such a character.

He's lovely and I am sure you miss him.  Have you gotten another cat?  We will eventually. My daughter was looking at Petfinder the night Mira died, sitting right next to her body lol, but I'm not ready to think about it yet. 

After Mira had her head cleaned up, a couple of weeks ago, we were supposed to keep her in for a week or so.  She loves being outside and this was hard for her, but we knew she'd be fine.  I took a video of her meowing at the door one day; I'm so glad I have that.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, milovany said:

He's lovely and I am sure you miss him.  Have you gotten another cat?  We will eventually. My daughter was looking at Petfinder the night Mira died, sitting right next to her body lol, but I'm not ready to think about it yet. 

After Mira had her head cleaned up, a couple of weeks ago, we were supposed to keep her in for a week or so.  She loves being outside and this was hard for her, but we knew she'd be fine.  I took a video of her meowing at the door one day; I'm so glad I have that.

No. We do have his sister, Luna, but we haven’t gotten another cat. There was an adorable black kitten at the adoption center a while back; he was so funny and energetic, just like Thor had been. But when I asked after him, he had already been adopted. I sort of stopped looking at that point. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, milovany said:

ETA 1 - While I wonder why they sent her home when she was in pain (they may not have known because she would have fought them when they put her back in the box and they would have been dealing with that), I do realize that I'm so very glad she died at home with us, and not in the clinic by herself over the weekend. 

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful and beloved Mira. ❤️

In my experience, some animals are very stoic while at the vet and won't show that they are feeling poorly until they are back home - so the vet may not have had any indication that something was wrong.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Selkie said:

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful and beloved Mira. ❤️

In my experience, some animals are very stoic while at the vet and won't show that they are feeling poorly until they are back home - so the vet may not have had any indication that something was wrong.

Thank you.  You may be right, although the details may have been different.  I talked to the vet tonight and Mira was actually fully of "vim and vinegar" according to the the vet. She was as feisty with them as ever -- they all knew you had one shot with Mira.  Need to draw blood?  You better get it right the first time because she won't let you try again.  But yes, once she got home, apparently, she began showing that she felt poorly.  Or her kidneys didn't start failing until she got home.  Either way, I'm glad she was at home and not at the vet. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks to you all.  Telling the story is part of the grief process for me I think.  I appreciated the opportunity to do so here.  I think the time will come when I don't cry when I think of her, but right now I miss her running across the driveway when I pull in, to go with me into the house.  ❤️ ❤️ ❤️

• Like 1

What you describe makes me think she threw a clot or clots. They are a risk after any surgery, and with all her struggling to get in the box her blood pressure would have gone up, pushing it along possibly to her brain and causing a stroke or to her lungs and blocking oxygen uptake. It goes along with her seeming normal there but then acting so strange and getting worse so quickly at home. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

What you describe makes me think she threw a clot or clots. They are a risk after any surgery, and with all her struggling to get in the box her blood pressure would have gone up, pushing it along possibly to her brain and causing a stroke or to her lungs and blocking oxygen uptake. It goes along with her seeming normal there but then acting so strange and getting worse so quickly at home. 

Thank you for that.  I can put it in my arsenal of things that keep me from thinking I did something wrong.  I have to force myself to not remember that the vet had said, when we first took her in, that this eye procedure was somewhat optional; she could try and live with it and it might be fine. I have to try and forget that I talked my husband into the surgery as he isn't one to spend goodly amounts of money on animals. I feel like maybe if we hadn't have done anything at all, she could still be with us.  Sigh.  Thankfully the vet had also said the eye could become painful if we didn't do anything and my husband reminds me that in the end we did what we thought was best for her. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, milovany said:

Thank you for that.  I can put it in my arsenal of things that keep me from thinking I did something wrong.  I have to force myself to not remember that the vet had said, when we first took her in, that this eye procedure was somewhat optional; she could try and live with it and it might be fine. I have to try and forget that I talked my husband into the surgery as he isn't one to spend goodly amounts of money on animals. I feel like maybe if we hadn't have done anything at all, she could still be with us.  Sigh.  Thankfully the vet had also said the eye could become painful if we didn't do anything and my husband reminds me that in the end we did what we thought was best for her. 

Absolutely, an infection in the eye like that would have been painful. You did the right thing. Better she go and quickly than be in pain round the clock. 

If the vet thought it was too risky they wouldn't have done it. I promise you that. 

It sounds like a freak thing, and it really does sound like she threw a clot or something along those lines. 

• Like 2