Menu

Hilarious yankee swap gift ideas?

Kanin

We always go to $5 Below for these things. At prior swaps: opened bag of candy, live chicks, paper towel holder, Valentine candy & balloon, knit hat with ears, already burned candle, etc. Some people put in useful things and other pure junk. Our swap with the girls at church is tonight. For this my 13 yo dd picked up a tv remote. I got a t-shirt of a kitten riding a shark. I can report back what other things are there when I get home. Our price limit for the girls is $5.

My limited experience with "hilarious" swap gifts is that no one else goes with a humorous gift, which makes me feel silly and the person who ends up with the funny gift feels bad about not getting a better gift.  I also feel like no one else sticks to the $10 rule or else they all get killer clearance deals earlier in the year...

I sort of hate gift swap activities, though the toilet paper is pretty genius.

We do a Yankee Swap and one year I unrolled a roll of toilet paper and refilled it with money in the amount of the swap (folded up ones and fives) and wrapped candy pieces every few inches. 

I started with the money and ended with the candy, then wrapped the roll in toilet paper. It was clear to everyone it was a roll of toilet paper so no one wanted it.  LOL

The person who ended up with it started in unrolling it and people were laughing bc he kept saying... "Who likes this candy? OMG, it is awful!" It was peppermints and tootsie rolls, stuff from Brachs Pick a Mix. Then he got to the money! 🙂

you could put a gift card in, too, instead of the money.

• Like 1

Gag gifts can be hit-or-miss.   One at work was a HUGE hit.   It looked like the EZ button.   But when you pressed it, it said No in one of many creative ways.   One that I thought would be a hit.   The leader had officially stated in the email "And don't give your dirty socks".     So, I bought a bottle of wine.   Wrapped it to look like a bottle of wine.   Then on the outside under the ribbon I attached one of DH's oldest socks which I had torn a hole into.   I thought it was hilarious, but I was the only one.  There were several others that were either badly received or gladly received and I was shocked.  

I took a Chia Pet to a gift swap once. There are some funny ones with famous people's heads, as well as the old-fashioned ones.

Last year dh took a fanny pack printed with a photo of a man's beer belly (so that it looked as if the belly belonged to the wearer. It went over pretty well, but that was an office of all men.

Last year, several of us unknowingly gave toilet inspired  gifts.We gave toilet basketball, another did toilet fishing, one did poo pourri and the best was a squatty potty.  

The one gift I gave once I thought would be a hit was a bust.  I did fuzzy socks, chocolates, hot cocoa and tea, and a some money for a movie rental.  

Edited by itsheresomewhere

5 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Last year, several of us gave toilet inspired  gifts.  We gave toilet basketball, another did toilet fishing, one did poo pourri and the best was a squatty potty.  

The one gift I gave once I thought would be a hit was a bust.  I did fuzzy socks, chocolates, hot cocoa and tea, and a some money for a movie rental.  

Well that's a really thoughtful gift! I would love that!

• Like 1