Menu

Ideas for making Thanksgiving dinner super fun!

TheAttachedMama

Hi Everyone,

I am hosting Thanksgving this year, and I am looking for some ways to make it more....I don't know....I guess FUN for the family.   Some details: We will probably have around 30 people for dinner.   My house is smallish (for 30 people least) so the table alone takes up most of our living area.    Usually, people eat, take the obligatory group photos, and then take off.   It is fine, but I would really like to make this something people can look forward to----More like a party of thankfulness!   Ages:   Most of the people there will be ages 40-70.   There are only 3-5 kids coming, and about four 20-30-year-olds.   

I would love to have something fun to do at the table to get people chatting.  Or --maybe a group game, or activity, or a special tradition in the spirit of Thanksgiving.   Do you have any ideas?   I was thinking about bringing up board games after dinner for those who might want to play them?  Or maybe a family bingo game with prizes?   Or maybe "thanksgiving themed would you rather" cards on the table before dinner is served to get people talking before we eat.  

Here is a picture of my super long table from last year in case you are interested in the chaos that is about to become our house.   That smallish dining room is where we usually do our homeschool!   

• Like 1

We go around the table naming 3 blessings--and put 3 kernels of popcorn beside each plate. But that would be massively long in your case. 

My mil sets out crafts for after dinner. They usually make a cool ornament and some decoration for Christmas.

You could do a Rock Paper Scissors game. Everyone pairs off, plays, then the winners play each other until there's just 2 left. If you lose, you cheer for the person you beat. For the last game, you have one pair and half the room cheering for each. Have a "wonderous prize" in a lunch paper bag for the winner. 

I love that photo!  It made me think that everyone should post a picture of their TG dinner table.  I think that's fun to see.

I haven't given your question too much thought yet, but wanted to say that I saw some very cute TG placemats at the store the other day, that you color.  They're very nice, good quality paper ones.  I tried to google search them online but can't seem to find them.  But during my search, I found others that also have puzzles on them, games, or even just a space where you write what you're thankful for.  Anyway, I was thinking something like that would be fun for a large group, especially if there are a lot of kids!

A game we like to play at holiday gatherings is Left Center Right. We play it with money (each person starts with three one dollar bills) and the winner ends up with the pot. It's simple enough for even young kids to understand. But the most we've ever played it with has been 13 people. It would take a loong time with 30, but it goes quickly and after the first couple of rounds can get really interesting.

• Like 4

That is a lot of people.  I know having one big table is a thing that many people enjoy, but having smaller groups of people would make it much easier for me to have a conversation or play a game or almost anything.  I, personally, would feel confined in that set up and be looking for the first opportunity to exit.  

• Like 3

Does the group have to stay at the table to play the game? Spoons is so much fun but a riot could break out with 30 people playing at once! 

What is your weather going to be like? Could you set up corn hole or do some kind of toss game?

Do you host every year? If so, you could start a tradition and give a turkey trophy to the winner or something. 

I think having board games out is a great idea and bingo sounds fun, too. I'd casually let people know ahead of time, maybe by inviting them to bring their favorite game if they wish, so they can be prepared to stay if they wish. I'd also have the games and things visible that day as a reminder, and also to play beforehand if timing works. 

I wouldn't like activities at the table, although I'd try to participate to be polite. Partially, I just wouldn't want to be sitting at the table for an extra length of time.  J-rap's idea of the placemats is cute if you go that route. 

What about some props to add fun to the obligatory photos? It seems that photo props always get used when available. Having a stack of old photos to flip through usually gets the laughter and conversation going - that might be something you could put on the table. Reprints only, lol. 

Do you have another part of the house you could set up for conversation and games?

I'd save dessert and invite people to go to the other space for conversation and games.  Then I'd quickly bus the table and eventually serve dessert and coffee at the table.  After that I'd offer a Christmas movie for anyone who wanted to stay but would expect most to leave.

We tend to socialize more before the meal than after. Wine or fun holiday themed cocktails help with that ?

A break for a walk to check out neighborhood lights (if people tend to put them up that early) might be nice between dinner and dessert. 

A dessert station rather than plated pie? Maybe a hot chocolate and coffee bar? You can have out different creamers, marshmallows, whipped cream, peppermint sticks for stirring, etc. If you are the type to imbibe, you can also put out some Irish Cream or Kahlua or what not. 

Edited by Ktgrok
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Pawz4me said:

A game we like to play at holiday gatherings is Left Center Right. We play it with money (each person starts with three one dollar bills) and the winner ends up with the pot. It's simple enough for even young kids to understand. But the most we've ever played it with has been 13 people. It would take a loong time with 30, but it goes quickly and after the first couple of rounds can get really interesting.

Our Thanksgiving tradition is to buy a new game. We bought LCR for this year! Farkle is an easy dice game.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, katilac said:

I think having board games out is a great idea and bingo sounds fun, too. I'd casually let people know ahead of time, maybe by inviting them to bring their favorite game if they wish, so they can be prepared to stay if they wish. I'd also have the games and things visible that day as a reminder, and also to play beforehand if timing works. 

I wouldn't like activities at the table, although I'd try to participate to be polite. Partially, I just wouldn't want to be sitting at the table for an extra length of time.  J-rap's idea of the placemats is cute if you go that route. 

What about some props to add fun to the obligatory photos? It seems that photo p

We can be at the table for hours over a normal dinner. We just camp there on Thanksgiving.  You’d want to strangle us. ? There just never seems to be a lull in the conversation long enough to relocate people. 

I can’t imagine leaving the table right after dinner. Leaving the house is unprecedented. My mom would ask if we were sick or something. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am wondering whether the single long table is the issue - people would only be able to talk to the people in their immediate vicinity, and the noise level must be very high. What about breaking it up into a few smaller tables, and letting people trade places for dessert? Seating people in groups that have something in common they could talk about?

We are only about 12 people for Thanksgiving and spend 4 hours sitting at the table, eating and talking. There's never a lull in the very animated conversation; people have a blast and look forward to it, without any special activities planned. As a guest, I would hate it if the hostess tried to jump start a conversation using scripted prompts, that would feel like school.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, regentrude said:

I am wondering whether the single long table is the issue - people would only be able to talk to the people in their immediate vicinity, and the noise level must be very high. What about breaking it up into a few smaller tables, and letting people trade places for dessert? Seating people in groups that have something in common they could talk about?

We are only about 12 people for Thanksgiving and spend 4 hours sitting at the table, eating and talking. There's never a lull in the very animated conversation; people have a blast and look forward to it, without any special activities planned. As a guest, I would hate it if the hostess tried to jump start a conversation using scripted prompts, that would feel like school.

I agree with the multiple tables being more conducive. Maybe find some kind of game to assign a new table at dessert time? Plus smaller tables would work better for games if you do end up doing them. 

For a group of 12 (so not all of your guests at once) I love the Telestrations Party Pack. We've played with all ages and it's always a blast--people laugh so hard they're crying.

A movie is an interesting idea too, or a fire pit. I'd be thinking of making different areas of the house or yard welcoming and fun, so people could mingle in smaller groups.

Would your kids be up for cutting out construction paper leaves in fall colors, so guests can write what they're thankful for, and post it with putty on a wall atop a construction paper tree trunk? That creates another area where people can gather to read others' gratitudes and post their own, and could be a natural conversation starter.

We often plan a short walk or hike after our Thanksgiving feast. Might not work for everyone, but most love the chance to get out in the fresh air.

Your house and table are lovely! I do wonder about setting up multiple tables so conversation groups are smaller, and intentionally mixing it up when it's time for dessert. I always loved being at the kids' table with my cousins when I was growing up.

Amy

• Like 1

We have a similar large gathering.
Last TG, my brother ran OLD home video on the TV, without the sound on. 

FYI, our kids DREAD the "go around the room & say something you're thankful for". 
If everything's on the table, just let everyone eat.  ?

But none of them can resist a good game of Catan.  ?

15 hours ago, happi duck said:

Do you have another part of the house you could set up for conversation and games?

I'd save dessert and invite people to go to the other space for conversation and games.  Then I'd quickly bus the table and eventually serve dessert and coffee at the table.  After that I'd offer a Christmas movie for anyone who wanted to stay but would expect most to leave.

No, that is part of the problem.   that table takes up my whole living space beside bedrooms/bathrooms....which wouldn't really work.  

1 hour ago, regentrude said:

Smaller tables could be nice.   I am not sure if I could fit 30 people in the space I have thought with smaller tables because it would mean sitting around the table.   But I will talk to my husband about that when we are setting up and see if he has any good ideas.  

Just now, HeighHo said:

Perhaps they could go out for a nature walk....

That is a nice idea, but we have some older people who can't walk very well.   Plus, we are in the subburbs.   People are leaving their wooded lots to come to our home, so I feel sort of inferior in the nature department.  (let's walk around and look at houses that all look similar and sidewalks.  hahaha)   

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, KungFuPanda said:

We can be at the table for hours over a normal dinner. We just camp there on Thanksgiving.  You’d want to strangle us. ? There just never seems to be a lull in the conversation long enough to relocate people. 

I can’t imagine leaving the table right after dinner. Leaving the house is unprecedented. My mom would ask if we were sick or something. ?

Yes, that is how my side of the family is.   Everyone just sits and talks and talks....a lot.  There is no need to entertain everyone.   This is my husband's side of the family, and although we are NOT newlyweds, I am still trying to adapt to a different family culture.  Everyone seems to be sort of quiet like they are looking for something to do before and after the meal.   Not many people are smiling, etc.    So I was just looking for something to make it more fun.  Typically, I am running around like a chicken.....er.... turkey with her head cut off.   It is NOT easy to cook for that many people and keep my house looking like no one lives there.  ?   So I haven't ever been able to do more to entertain others---however, this year I am wondering if some pre-planning could help me be a better hostess.   

Edited by TheAttachedMama

16 minutes ago, TheAttachedMama said:

Y Everyone seems to be sort of quiet like they are looking for something to do before and after the meal.   Not many people are smiling, etc.   

That sounds awful. Do they even WANT to be there?  Have you husband devise entertainment for his folks, or even better, be done hosting and let somebody else take over.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, regentrude said:

That sounds awful. Do they even WANT to be there?  Have you husband devise entertainment for his folks, or even better, be done hosting and let somebody else take over.

My husband is not very great at thinking up entertainment.  And I am trying to think of this as my family too now...right?   My MIL (whom I love very much) used to host Thanksgiving, but she is no longer able to because of her arthritis---so I would like to continue to do this even though it is a hard task.   
So I am trying to walk the fine line between providing FUN things to do---but not making people FEEL like they have to partake in fun.   I don't want to create a situation where people are participating in bingo just to be polite...you know?   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeighHo said:

Scattergories is the successful game here.  Otherwise the nonblood relatives serve/clean up , entertain children and dogs, and wait while the blood relatives rehash old times.

And then the "nonblood relatives" can all get together and go out for drinks and play pool and ask themselves what kind of f---ed up family did they marry into that makes them be the servants and leaves them out of the reminiscing.

• Like 2

Last year, my immediate family and I had a nerf war.  Grands weren't able to participate so we waited til they left.  Kids loved it (3 are adults). at our extended family dinner, I have been known to make up a scavenger hunt for my kids to do.  It all revolves around figuring out which relative did what.  So they have to talk to them all. Since it is my kids, I tell them they can't have dessert unless they do it.  Works fabulously.  We have all learned  a lot about my family and they have better relationships because the older people feel valued and really the younger people do to.  We have also played the game where everyone writes down one thing and puts it a basket.  You pass it around and everyone takes a piece of paper and tries to guess who said what.  A lot of fun. Minute to win it games are fun too.

I wanted to thank everyone for all of their great ideas.    Here are some of them that I think I am going to try.    I could use some advice on pulling off that last one if you have any advice to spare.  

1)  TRY to seat everyone in smaller tables.   This would make it easier to walk around, so people wouldn't feel trapped in their seats.  (More pathways)  Again, I have to figure out if this will even be possible with the floor space I have and the card tables and linens.  (I don't want to really spend more money on this just in case it doesn't actually help things.)   

2)  A Thankful Tree:   On the wall in our kitchen (where a lot of people hang out to "help") I would post a paper tree on the wall with a basket filled with paper leaves.   I would give people instructions to write what they are thankful for and post it to the three so everyone can read it throughout the day.  (Another idea I have is to make a centerpiece at each table where people could hang leaves.)     My idea is that I could then collect all of those leaves after people leave and post them in a scrapbook.  Then we could add new leaves each year...and create sort of a keepsake that the family could read each year.

3)  Thanksgiving "Would you Rather" or "Trivia" cards scattered on the table.   Maybe I could write these on fall leaves so they looked sort of pretty:  Just to get people to talk to one another.  

4)   Wine!  Or maybe a Thanksgiving cocktail to offer.   Hopefully, this will loosen people up. 

5)  Setting up small areas for people to congregate:   OK, here is where I need advice.   Because this is another problem I have been having the last few years, and maybe it is related to the long table.    I forgot to tell you ladies that I have a finished basement.   It can't fit all 30 people, but it would give people a place to hang out that isn't on the middle floor.   The last couple of years, I casually told people that there was football (or movies) playing in the basement, but I couldn't get anyone to venture down there except for my brother and father in law.  (My husband even joked that we shouldn't even bother cleaning down there this year.)    I would love to set up a small firepit with chairs outside, but how can I get people out there?   I don't want to go to all of the work and then no one goes outside...you know?

6)  Edited to add:   Have my kids bring up some board games after we have bused the table and leave them around.   Perhaps then people wouldn't feel obligated to play if my kids brought them up?    We have Jenga (too loud when it falls?), decks of cards,  battleship, monopoly, etc.  I am thinking that easy games would be the best. 

Edited by TheAttachedMama

3 minutes ago, TheAttachedMama said:

I wanted to thank everyone for all of their great ideas.    Here are some of them that I think I am going to try.    I could use some advice on pulling off that last one if you have any advice to spare.  

1)  TRY to seat everyone in smaller tables.   This would make it easier to walk around, so people wouldn't feel trapped in their seats.  (More pathways)  Again, I have to figure out if this will even be possible with the floor space I have and the card tables and linens.  (I don't want to really spend more money on this just in case it doesn't actually help things.)   

2)  A Thankful Tree:   On the wall in our kitchen (where a lot of people hang out to "help") I would post a paper tree on the wall with a basket filled with paper leaves.   I would give people instructions to write what they are thankful for and post it to the three so everyone can read it throughout the day.  (Another idea I have is to make a centerpiece at each table where people could hang leaves.)     My idea is that I could then collect all of those leaves after people leave and post them in a scrapbook.  Then we could add new leaves each year...and create sort of a keepsake that the family could read each year.

3)  Thanksgiving "Would you Rather" or "Trivia" cards scattered on the table.   Maybe I could write these on fall leaves so they looked sort of pretty:  Just to get people to talk to one another.  

4)   Wine!  Or maybe a Thanksgiving cocktail to offer.   Hopefully, this will loosen people up. 

5)  Setting up small areas for people to congregate:   OK, here is where I need advice.   Because this is another problem I have been having the last few years, and maybe it is related to the long table.    I forgot to tell you ladies that I have a finished basement.   It can't fit all 30 people, but it would give people a place to hang out that isn't on the middle floor.   The last couple of years, I casually told people that there was football (or movies) playing in the basement, but I couldn't get anyone to venture down there except for my brother and father in law.  (My husband even joked that we shouldn't even bother cleaning down there this year.)    I would love to set up a small firepit with chairs outside, but how can I get people out there?   I don't want to go to all of the work and then no one goes outside...you know?

Thanksgiving cocktails:

Now, these aren't for everyone. I love juices and sweet drinks though and these 2 are my favorites:

Cranberry juice, hard cider, peach schnapps 

Apple cider and Hiram Walker's Caramel Apple Liquor ( for some reason, this liquor has a maple-y flavor) 

• Like 2

Related to number five: (I'm going to repeat myself) Hold dessert hostage!  Have other places set up for conversation etc. (Basement, fire pit).  "Dessert will be later.  Everyone can stretch their legs and head downstairs or outside.  I'll call you when dessert is ready."

Some people might want to stay at the table and that's fine.

Just in case conversation is going well, I'd consider letting people take dessert somewhere other than the table.  "Dessert is ready, feel free to eat out/down here.". You could offer to bring dessert to anyone with mobility concerns.

5 minutes ago, happi duck said:

Related to number five: (I'm going to repeat myself) Hold dessert hostage!  Have other places set up for conversation etc. (Basement, fire pit).  "Dessert will be later.  Everyone can stretch their legs and head downstairs or outside.  I'll call you when dessert is ready."

Some people might want to stay at the table and that's fine.

Just in case conversation is going well, I'd consider letting people take dessert somewhere other than the table.  "Dessert is ready, feel free to eat out/down here.". You could offer to bring dessert to anyone with mobility concerns.

That is a great idea.  The problem is that many people bring dessert with them and it is on the buffet table.  So I can't say it isn't ready.  The tradition is to sort of help yourself when you aren't so stuffed not to have the hostess serve it.   (I do bring plates out to the older people who can't walk very well and come around with coffee, etc.)   

9 minutes ago, TheAttachedMama said:

That is a great idea.  The problem is that many people bring dessert with them and it is on the buffet table.  So I can't say it isn't ready.  The tradition is to sort of help yourself when you aren't so stuffed not to have the hostess serve it.   (I do bring plates out to the older people who can't walk very well and come around with coffee, etc.)   

Bummer!  Maybe people will just be willing to try hanging out.  Hope it goes well!

1 hour ago, TheAttachedMama said:

Yes, that is how my side of the family is.   Everyone just sits and talks and talks....a lot.  There is no need to entertain everyone.   This is my husband's side of the family, and although we are NOT newlyweds, I am still trying to adapt to a different family culture.  Everyone seems to be sort of quiet like they are looking for something to do before and after the meal.   Not many people are smiling, etc.    So I was just looking for something to make it more fun.  Typically, I am running around like a chicken.....er.... turkey with her head cut off.   It is NOT easy to cook for that many people and keep my house looking like no one lives there.  ?   So I haven't ever been able to do more to entertain others---however, this year I am wondering if some pre-planning could help me be a better hostess.   

Maybe try an old family photo slide show thing. That’s BOUND to get them talking. Or see who can match the baby pictures to the people in the room? It sounds like you’re doing a LOT already. 

To me it looks beautiful!  I’d be ashamed to share a photo of our table. 

However, to me it also looks too formal  for easy conversation. 

I wonder if instead of center piece you could have conversation starter cards (maybe some funny ones as well as thankful ones) . 

My favorite Thanksgiving ever was quite informal (table had food on it buffet style and people perched wherever to eat), had a lot of games, and also someone who was decent at guitar brought a guitar and people sang together. The homemade music added a lot, I think. 

Edited by Pen

2 hours ago, TheAttachedMama said:

14)   Wine!  Or maybe a Thanksgiving cocktail to offer.   Hopefully, this will loosen people up. 

Wait...you've been doing a big meal for 30 people, half of whom are in-laws, and you have NOT been serving booze?@?!?!?!?!?!!? As they say, there's your problem! A LOT of people feel more comfortable making small talk if they have a bit of social lubrication. Even if they are not downing much, just holidng it seems to signify "time for small talk" rather than "sit and eat". 

could you put the "bar" in the basement area, to lure people down there? And then maybe have a smore's bar outside by the fire pit? 

• Like 2

My family gatherings typically have at least 25 people, and we like to play this easy gambling game, Left, Center, Right.  One person wins all the money and each person who loses is out $3. You can play with quarters too.

We got ours at the game section that has playing cards and Uno at Walmart.

Here's a quick game explained as it's played:

Edited by Homeschool Mom in AZ
  • Like 1