Menu

Please pray for dd. Likely has the flu at college.

dirty ethel rackham

I could have sworn that she got a flu shot before we left.  Anyway, she has been sick since Friday, barely able to get up and to eat, let alone go to classes.  She went to urgent care on Saturday.  Based upon symptoms and the fact that there are a couple of people on her floor with strep, they ran a strep test and a mono test and gave her abx for the suspected strep.  Well, here it is, Tuesday, and she is still so sick that she didn't have the energy to arrange a ride back to urgent care after meeting with a professor and trying to get her part of a group project done.  She hasn't been able to do any schoolwork for the last 4 days.  Strep and EBV tests came back negative.  My SIL, who is local to her, did stop by with some chicken soup and other incidentals.  Her friends have been taking care of her.  I just wish I could be there for her.  (I had 3 midterms back to back and now I'm behind on my other homework.)  

Please pray for a quick recovery and that she can put aside stress about making up work.  

• Like 5
  • Sad 4

Aw, poor thing!  Does she have a fever?  I'm always surprised when doctors give a prescription for antibiotics before even knowing if the patient has an infection.  And it almost seems a little early for the flu!   How nice that your SIL is close by.   I'll pray for your dd!

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

Aw, poor thing!  Does she have a fever?  I'm always surprised when doctors give a prescription for antibiotics before even knowing if the patient has an infection.  And it almost seems a little early for the flu!   How nice that your SIL is close by.   I'll pray for your dd!

I'm not there, so I don't know if she has a fever.  Every time I call she is "resting."  They would not have given her the abx, but there was at least one, if not two cases of strep on her floor ... people she is friends with.  And she presented much like strep (including the white patches on her throat.  Normally, we are a slow to antibiotics kind of family, but she needed to get a jump on it if it was strep.   And yes, it is good that we have family close by. 

7 hours ago, Scarlett said:

Did she get a flu shot?

I don't remember if she got a flu shot.  She did have a "pre-college" doctors' visit later in the summer and she received at least one vaccination recommended for college students.  I'll have to ask her.  

Thanks, everyone for all the prayers (and keep them coming.)  I have half a mind to go down there and see her.  We are going there this weekend for a family wedding in town there so I'd just be a day or two early ... but I'd be missing a couple of classes myself.  One SIL is working today and the other one is preparing for her daughter's wedding (the one we are going to.)  Maybe my retired brother can take her to the doctor again.  

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

I'm not there, so I don't know if she has a fever.  Every time I call she is "resting."  They would not have given her the abx, but there was at least one, if not two cases of strep on her floor ... people she is friends with.  And she presented much like strep (including the white patches on her throat.  Normally, we are a slow to antibiotics kind of family, but she needed to get a jump on it if it was strep.   And yes, it is good that we have family close by. 

It could be tonsillitis.  

Am texting dd right now.  First day that she woke up without a headache and body aches.  But, she is still so freaking tired.  She can't go to chem lab because she can't stand for that long.  My brother is going to take her back to the doctor.  She may need that for some of her hard-line professors to get extensions.  Maybe they should have given her a steroid shot instead of the abx.

Thanks again.

53 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Am texting dd right now.  First day that she woke up without a headache and body aches.  But, she is still so freaking tired.  She can't go to chem lab because she can't stand for that long.  My brother is going to take her back to the doctor.  She may need that for some of her hard-line professors to get extensions.  Maybe they should have given her a steroid shot instead of the abx.

Thanks again.

Honestly--if it is flu you probably DON'T want a steroid shot -- it has the risk of masking symptoms rather than actually curing the disease.

53 minutes ago, vonfirmath said:

Honestly--if it is flu you probably DON'T want a steroid shot -- it has the risk of masking symptoms rather than actually curing the disease.

Possibly.  We don't know what it is.  I am not there to be able to assess, so I have to trust that she is being taken care of (which is super hard for me, the control freak that I can be at times.)  I have been communicating with other parents on a facebook page for parents at this college.  Many kids have been sick with very similar issues and a few were able to quickly get back on their feet after a steroid shot.  I hadn't heard of it being used like that ... usually only for serious lower respiratory infections like bronchitis.  But, I've been reading about how it can be effective for lots of things.  My brother picked her up a few minutes ago and she is headed back to this urgent care that comes highly recommended from other parents.  Much better than the college health center.  

And I thought the cure for the flu was time ... the body fighting it.  

Edited by dirty ethel rackham
  • Like 1

Hi Ellen,

Will pray now!  I'm not sure when your dd got her flu shot, but it takes 1-2 weeks for it to kick in.  Also, it is a preventative and they do the best they can with making the current year's strain but one can still get the flu. 

Hugs to you!  Chicken soup, garlic, Echinacea to name a few excellent foods and herbs with medicinal properties!

1 hour ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

Possibly.  We don't know what it is.  I am not there to be able to assess, so I have to trust that she is being taken care of (which is super hard for me, the control freak that I can be at times.)  I have been communicating with other parents on a facebook page for parents at this college.  Many kids have been sick with very similar issues and a few were able to quickly get back on their feet after a steroid shot.  I hadn't heard of it being used like that ... usually only for serious lower respiratory infections like bronchitis.  But, I've been reading about how it can be effective for lots of things.  My brother picked her up a few minutes ago and she is headed back to this urgent care that comes highly recommended from other parents.  Much better than the college health center.  

And I thought the cure for the flu was time ... the body fighting it.  

In my opinion, she needs to call/email her advisor now and get her involved in what to do. 5+ days of not being able to work at this point in the semester is serious, and she might not be able to catch up while earning the grades she is capable of. 

Good luck. Lots of prayers for good health!

• Like 1

So sorry!  DD is having some health issues at school, and it's so hard not to be there.  Also, some of these professors are vicious!  I know they have a zillion students to deal with, but sheesh.   Is it really that profitable to have plague-carriers showing up for class just to have their heads down coughing all over everything, or puking into the trashcan, because you're not willing to accommodate anyone??  

• Sad 2

2 hours ago, unsinkable said:

In my opinion, she needs to call/email her advisor now and get her involved in what to do. 5+ days of not being able to work at this point in the semester is serious, and she might not be able to catch up while earning the grades she is capable of. 

Good luck. Lots of prayers for good health!

She talked with her advisor and she is working with her professors.  She has been able to do small amounts of work, but she can't do any calculus right now.  Requires too much brain power and intense concentration.  She has documentation from the urgent care she went to (she just returned from her second visit) and is forwarding that to her professors.  So far, they have been understanding and willing to work with her on extensions and assistance in getting caught up.  I will see her this weekend and we will go over her plans if she is well enough.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, dirty ethel rackham said:

She talked with her advisor and she is working with her professors.  She has been able to do small amounts of work, but she can't do any calculus right now.  Requires too much brain power and intense concentration.  She has documentation from the urgent care she went to (she just returned from her second visit) and is forwarding that to her professors.  So far, they have been understanding and willing to work with her on extensions and assistance in getting caught up.  I will see her this weekend and we will go over her plans if she is well enough.

That's good news. 

It has been my experience that students don't reach out quickly enough and to the correct people who can help them get back on track. 

the not being able to think reminds me of mono (I know you said her test was negative)... But I felt brain dead when I had it.

Hand, foot, & mouth is going around here, as well.

I thought of mono right away, too, but obviously so did the docs. Hope the latest appointment was more helpful to get her back on her feet than the first and she feels better soon. (Calc takes a ton of brain power, but honestly, so do some English papers. . . )

5 hours ago, unsinkable said:

That's good news. 

It has been my experience that students don't reach out quickly enough and to the correct people who can help them get back on track. 

the not being able to think reminds me of mono (I know you said her test was negative)... But I felt brain dead when I had it.

When I had mono, I just remember being so physically sick.  My body ached.  Rolling over in bed hurt.  And then feeling like a wet noodle that weighed a ton.  

But, I get foggy headed with any type of illness.  Just my small skin cancer surgery gave me muddled thinking for several days.  I couldn't even begin to tackle my physics homework.  Add that to my SAD and Hashimotos and I can't finish sentences by mid December.  

They did run a 2nd mono test today and did another strep culture and something else.  She is doing better this evening, but can only work in short doses.  But at least she is awake more.

• Like 1

Thank you all for thinking of my dd and for checking back.  I was out of town for a bit for a family wedding (in the same town where she goes to school.)  

On Thursday, my brother was able to get her back to Urgent Care where they ran more tests, changed her medication and gave her a steroid shot.  She felt so much better.  She was able to go to the wedding with us and had a lovely time.  I talked to her on Monday and she was working to get caught up.  She should be where she needs to by the end of the week.  

I am worried that I am coming down with something, though.  Oh, and my other kid has lice.  All of this while I was studying for exams.  My brain still feels like it ran a marathon.  

• Sad 2