Halloween Wedding

Mbelle

Halloween Wedding  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Getting married on Halloween is bizarre

• Yes
    • No
    • other.

I think setting a wedding date on Halloween is kind of bizarre.  DH doesn't see anything weird about it.  He wasn't born or raised in the US, but he has lived here for 20 years and I'm not sure if that's relevant.  (This conversation is triggered by someone posting their wedding pics today)

I would never ever set my wedding date on Halloween.  I'm not even superstitious, I just find that odd.  Quite a bit odder than say an actual holiday such as Thanksgiving or Christmas.  To me that would be inconvenient but not weird.

Is it just me?

I wouldn't think twice about it for a low-key wedding. 

For a bigger wedding and reception, my thoughts would be, y'all better have some theming going on! I'd be pretty disappointed if I went to a Halloween wedding and it was completely ordinary. 

Upside, it's easy to remember your anniversary. 

• Like 4

My dad and his wife got married on Halloween.  They were older (60's/70's) and it was Halloween themed.  They wore Renaissance-type costumes and all the guests were in costume.  It wasn't a big wedding, maybe 30 guests mainly family.

I LOVE Halloween and never get to make a big deal out of it like I'd like to.   I would totally have done a Halloween wedding if dh was on board.  We were actually married on October 26th but it was just us, dd and two witnesses at our city hall, so theme would have been weird.

• Like 5

I don't know... In general I'm not a fan of weddings on holidays, but Halloween isn't a holiday to me at all. It just seems like an inconvenient day. Or maybe I mean a day the could become inconvenient for an anniversary celebration. 

I believe I would be annoyed to be invited to a wedding that turned out to be a Halloween / costume party.  But I think of weddings as solemn, important occasions.  (I don't mean somber.) A celebration but with gravity.  Halloween and wedding just don't go together for me.

• Like 1

Google defines bizarre as: very strange or unusual, especially so as to cause interest or amusement.

I voted that yes, it is bizarre.  And some people like bizarre.  ?

Most people automatically think of Halloween when they see the date Oct. 31.  If I got an invitation for a wedding on that date I would wonder if it was a theme wedding, especially if the wedding took place on a week day.

• Like 1

I got married on Oct. 31st.  It was all the church had available.  It was a Saturday and we didn't theme it.  And today is my 20th anniversary and we had Whataburger drive thru for lunch and passed out candy to the neighborhood kids this evening.  I'm just strange like that, I guess.

Edited by perkybunch
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, perkybunch said:

I got married on Oct. 31st.  It was all the church had available.  It was a Saturday and we didn't theme it.  And today is my 20th anniversary and we had Whataburger drive thru for lunch and passed out candy to the neighborhood kids this evening.  I'm just strange like that, I guess.

Happy Anniversary!

• Like 2

I don't find it odd at all. I would actually find getting married in Thanksgiving or Christmas odd, at least in the US and if the majority of your guests would be observing those days. I personally wouldn't attend a wedding on Thanksgiving or Christmas but Halloween would in a heartbeat.

• Like 4

Well, I would find it odd, mainly because there would be such a large chance of it being inconvenient for guests.  If it was a small wedding that would be less likely to be a problem though - it might be a great time to elope.

I might not mind a Halloween themed wedding as long as the theme was confined to the reception. 

• Like 1

My grandparents were married on Thanksgiving (and DD was born on her great grandparents’ 60th wedding anniversary, which was kind of cool). The reason was that there were few other days that farmers weren’t working, and the family gathered on Thanksgiving anyway. 

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, dmmetler said:

My grandparents were married on Thanksgiving (and DD was born on her great grandparents’ 60th wedding anniversary, which was kind of cool). The reason was that there were few other days that farmers weren’t working, and the family gathered on Thanksgiving anyway. 

I can see that as being a good reason. I guess I was thinking more along the line of bigger weddings with family,  friends of the one getting married, and then some close friends of their parents, etc. An event when all family is already there is a bit different.

• Like 3

I think that getting married on a holiday is asking for problems in the future when you want to celebrate your anniversary, but it is  also a holiday.

My mom and stepdad got married on Christmas Eve and that interfered with making plans for Christmas because they wanted to be by themselves (even though they were by themselves every day) on Christmas Eve to celebrate their anniversary. Sometimes they went away so that messed up Christmas Day too.

So what will the couple do when they have kids who want to go trick or treating when the couple wants to go to dinner to celebrate their anniversary?

• Like 3

It wouldn't be my cup of tea, but in one of our buildings, a couple just had a wedding tonight.  They did do the decorations in a Halloween theme.  I could see doing it if both the bride and groom are big fans of the "holiday."  It could be a lot of fun to plan.

• Like 1

A member of my household has a birthday on Halloween, so we always have to work around doing the trick-or-treat, the birthday, homework, etc. (and it's also a work deadline for us).  It's just normal for us.  I don't think it would be much different to have a wedding anniversary on Halloween.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, school17777 said:

So what will the couple do when they have kids who want to go trick or treating when the couple wants to go to dinner to celebrate their anniversary?

I think most couples would simply go out to dinner on another evening. I know you had the opposite experience, with Christmas at that, but I think (hope) that's fairly unusual. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, katilac said:

I think most couples would simply go out to dinner on another evening. I know you had the opposite experience, with Christmas at that, but I think (hope) that's fairly unusual. 

Yep, we are meeting my dad and his wife for dinner on Saturday to celebrate their Halloween Anniversary.   Our anniversary was Friday the 26th, which was the day of our local Trunk or Treat and dd's Halloween party at TKD.  We went out to dinner on Saturday instead.

I think a lot of people who work full time, have kids in school and other activities wait until the weekend to go out for special occasions.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, school17777 said:

Um, you take them trick or treating.

I think I'm not part of the culture where people do a lot of stuff to celebrate anniversaries.  Maybe it's an income thing?  We can't afford anything extravagant.  We  generally get cards and get food from someone not me.  And it doesn't have to be on the exact day.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Mbelle said:

It was a 2nd marriage for the groom.  Low key.

That's the part that seems odd, lol. If I were having a Halloween wedding I'd make a big deal out of it, have it themed, etc. Instead of typical favors we'd have little trick or treat buckets, or stations to trick or treat at, serve pumpkin spice everything, have caramel apples, witches brew instead of punch, the whole nine yards. 

but we love halloween!

Also, I got married on October 13th, and every so often it falls on a Friday the 13th, in October, and I find that fun ?

• Like 4

13 hours ago, hjffkj said:

I don't find it odd at all. I would actually find getting married in Thanksgiving or Christmas odd, at least in the US and if the majority of your guests would be observing those days. I personally wouldn't attend a wedding on Thanksgiving or Christmas but Halloween would in a heartbeat.

i attend a convention every year that is on Thanksgiving weekend.  The reason for that timing is that hotels are EMPTY that weekend.   They are quite happy to charge less and bend rules that weekend.   Several times there is a wedding going on the day of Thanksgiving.  Usually Indian ancestry (India, the country).  Once or twice it was Russian.   Basically people from a culture that believes in big weddings and not into Thanksgiving.  As a frugal person, I think that is brilliant.  

I think for a small wedding Halloween is fine.  The only thing wrong with it is that people at my stage in life (with a TorT'ing child) would have to decline.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, shawthorne44 said:

i attend a convention every year that is on Thanksgiving weekend.  The reason for that timing is that hotels are EMPTY that weekend.   They are quite happy to charge less and bend rules that weekend.   Several times there is a wedding going on the day of Thanksgiving.  Usually Indian ancestry (India, the country).  Once or twice it was Russian.   Basically people from a culture that believes in big weddings and not into Thanksgiving.  As a frugal person, I think that is brilliant.  

I think for a small wedding Halloween is fine.  The only thing wrong with it is that people at my stage in life (with a TorT'ing child) would have to decline.  

That makes complete sense.  Thanksgiving not being a big thing for those families, it makes sense.  

• Like 1

I knew someone who had a Halloween wedding. Halloween happened to fall on a weekend that was good for all of her extended family to travel.

She had never wanted to wear a white or ivory gown so having a Halloween/Harvest theme made her pale peach lace gown look outstanding. It didn't really have a ghoulish aspect to it. There were carved pumpkins, gourds, beautifully decorated scarecrows, and some home made black trees (I think they probably got lighted  branches from somewhere and assembled them) with twinkle lights. The lights were dimmed and candles under hurricane glass were also placed around.  I don't think it was all that expensive to do really. The bridal party all wore black with the girls in simple, street length dresses that they would be able to wear again. The guys wore black pants, black shoes, black vests, and had pale peach shirts....I have no idea where they got those.

The bouquets were peach, ecru, and burgundy silk hydrangea with mini-mums and little spider webs here and there, stems wrapped in lace and tied with black and peach ribbons. There were some gauzy type spider webs scattered about, but no faux spiders in them...if anything was attached it was battery operated lights and mini pumpkins. The bridal party carved the larger pumpkins and put battery operated candles in them.

The pumpkins and candles under glass were then moved by the bridal party to the tables in the reception. There were peach, coral, and black table runners. Nothing elaborate, but it looked great.

I thought it was innovative and lovely. Maybe if it had been significantly "dark" or ghoulish I wouldn't have. But this was quite tasteful and so different from most weddings.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SKL said:

Trick-or-treat doesn't fall on Halloween in many towns.  I think my town (where it does) may be in the minority these days.

Very true. There is a movement her in Michigan to have the state make Halloween a state holiday that always occurs on the last Saturday of the month with trick or treating ending before dark. It's so much easier to manage, and safe as well. The teachers are all for it because when Halloween is on a weekday, the kids are pretty hyped up about it, and then of course they are out in the evening, sometimes late, and the next day mega hyped up on Sugar. Having it occur on Saturday gives them Sunday to recover, and none of the crazy on a school day. Makes sense to me.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, heartlikealion said:

I think your opinion on this is based on your like/dislike of the holiday? 

I do like Halloween.  It has been a fun family day for years.

I don't think my opinion is based on my feelings about the day itself but I guess it could be.  

• Like 1