Menu

What color appliances

Ottakee

I am buying a new house in a few weeks.  I am going to have to replace some appliances in the not so distant future.  Kitchen has honey oak cabinets (yes, 1993?)  ,forest green laminate counter tops, and a nice wood laminate flooring.

Right now there is a stainless steel fridge that is newer but quite small and I would love one to fill the space.  The smoothtop stove is white and has a brand new white microwave.  Dishwasher is also white but I believe quite old.

I am considering swapping out the smooth top for a gas stove with center griddle like I have now as I LOVE LOVE puffy heart LOVE that stove.

I don't know what color to go with.  I have no thoughts of remodeling the kitchen. As it flows well, cabinets are in excellent shape, and I like wood.  Any thoughts?  I likely won't buy everything all at once but on an "as needed" basis.

white or stainless.   white is always available. other colors go in and out of style and can completely disappear.

I started replacing my white appliances with stainless - as that was often what was in stock.  white had to be ordered.

I love my duel fuel too.  I special ordered the grills becasue the ones for the white stove were puny.

3 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I like black best.  Stainless steel feels like I'm in an institutional setting, cold and drab, not the warm homey feeling I want for my kitchen.

I used to think the same thing (institutional / lab look) however, the few black appliances I ever had showed every fingerprint...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, J-rap said:

Well, I personally think black will be a phase that comes and goes.  I like white or beige.  I like a bright kitchen.  You can always add a white (or beige) trim in a few areas to pull the white appliances together.

I don’t think it’s a phase. I put all black appliances (except fridge) in my old kitchen back in 2005 and they were readily available. 

My current kitchen has a white dishwasher and like Patty Joanna said, parts have aged to yellow and it’s ugly. 

• Like 1

I asked this question here years ago and found that everyone has very personal preferences.   For example, I detest white unless the entire kitchen is white and it goes well with it, which isn't my style and does not sound like the style of your kitchen.  

I would go to black or stainless.  I personally love stainless and all of our appliances are stainless in the kitchen.

Are you planning to stick to one brand?  If not, be aware that color variation in whites is much less noticable than the variation in stainless.  Bosch, for example, has a golden undertone while GE is more silver.  You will however have more models to choose from if you go with stainless.  

I would select the most important appliance based on functionality first.  Then select the color.  It is okay to choose one color for the main appliance (stove or refrigerator) and a different color for the other appliances.   

Personally, if budget weren't an issue, I would hide the dishwasher and refrigerator behind cabinet panels.  

• Like 1

Not a popular option but I love bisque. The house we moved into has all bisque appliances and I find myself wondering how I ever lived without these. I do not like white (too stark), I can't stand stainless, and black shows everything (the compulsive house cleaner in me would go nuts). Bisque is warm, hides stuff relatively well, and gives my kitchen just the feel I want it to have.

We were also fortunate to find a high-end dishwasher at Habitat with a cabinet panel on the front and I love how it looks. I am hoping to do that with our fridge someday...but for now I'm enjoying the bisque fridge color.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, history-fan said:

I would love to replace my appliances with colored ones like a pretty green or orange. I’ve seen these on some retro remodel sites and think they add so much to a kitchen. But I like the mid century style.

Does Big Chill fit your budget?   It doesn't fit mine, but I love the colors.  I wish color choices would be available at lower price points.  We will probably be replacing our white appliances with newer white appliances.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BakersDozen said:

Not a popular option but I love bisque. The house we moved into has all bisque appliances and I find myself wondering how I ever lived without these. I do not like white (too stark), I can't stand stainless, and black shows everything (the compulsive house cleaner in me would go nuts). Bisque is warm, hides stuff relatively well, and gives my kitchen just the feel I want it to have.

We have honey oak cabinets in our kitchen with a bisque fridge, bisque/black stove, black microwave, black dishwasher, and I think it's a good combination with the honey oak.  The counter tops are a light cream color.  If I had my druthers, we'd have different cabinets, but we work with what we've got.  I think the bisque keeps things brighter without the stark whiteness of white. ? 

Since our oven has been on the fritz, I went stove/oven shopping a few weeks ago and learned that bisque is HARD to come by anymore.  I know I don't want the traditional stainless steel, but there was a slate stainless steel that I'm seriously considering.  The oven/stove I looked at had a black range top and oven door front while the rest of it was this slate color.  My only reservation is that my bisque fridge might stand out then, and we don't have the inclination to replace all of the appliances.  Decisions, decisions...  I may be the only one, but it seems like the traditional stainless steel and white don't match honey oak that well, as if they are too sharp of a color for a warm toned honey oak.

Edited by ChrisB
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Sherry in OH said:

Does Big Chill fit your budget?   It doesn't fit mine, but I love the colors.  I wish color choices would be available at lower price points.  We will probably be replacing our white appliances with newer white appliances.  

Their appliances are beautiful. It’s hard to pick a color but that turquoise is at the top.

I have a friend that has had all three: white, stainless and black and she prefers white because the black shows smudges/dirt/spills of salt, etc. and the stainless is hard to keep clean.

Like one of the prior posters, we like bisque but were unable to acquire a dishwasher we liked in bisque, so we went with stainless. I hate the stainless and will not do that again.  Currently we have a white fridge, a bisque oven and a stainless dishwasher.

It doesn't seem like any appliance is built to last anymore, so I would tend to pick what you like feature-wise unless you think mismatched appliances will really bug you and/or if you plan to sell in the next three to five years.

• Like 2

After 16 months without a dishwasher, we decided to buy a new one. Because of the style of our kitchen, we decided to buy a white dishwasher. I was surprised to learn that it had to be special ordered and cost $20 more. We ordered it Labor Day weekend and are hoping it will be delivered this weekend.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Caclcoca said:

After 16 months without a dishwasher, we decided to buy a new one. Because of the style of our kitchen, we decided to buy a white dishwasher. I was surprised to learn that it had to be special ordered and cost $20 more. We ordered it Labor Day weekend and are hoping it will be delivered this weekend.

Her mention of the Labor Day sale reminded me of this. 

I should have mentioned this--IF you can wait until November, many appliances will be deeply discounted right before Black Friday. Buying our fridge then saved us at least $1000.  Also, you can see if your credit card offers price rewind if you are using a credit card. Our card offers it for 30 days I think so we were able to buy in early November and then apply for the price rewind when the price dropped again for Black Friday.  There is often an annual limit on your price rewind, so if you are buying all new appliances at once, keep that in mind.

Edited by cintinative
  • Like 1