Menu

Another job wwyd

HSmomof2

I currently work part-time in a position I don’t like. I mostly work evenings/weekends, so technically the schedule works for homeschooling which is why I’ve stayed at this job.

I’ve now had two interviews for another job that is 10 hours/week more than I currently work(20-30 hrs/week), but the entire job is working remotely from home with a very flexible schedule.

The downside is that it will be about a 25% pay reduction from what I currently make. However, I would be moving from a completely customer service type job(which I don’t like) to the new one which would be auditing/compliance/claims type of work. I would definitely enjoy the type of work in the new job more. And, I would love the flexibility of working remotely and pretty much setting my own hours. I was referred to this job by a friend and former coworker. My current job will always be totally customer service, and always will be working evenings/weekends. I would develop a new skill set with the new job and be able to get out of customer service. I plan to return to full time work in 3-4 years and still have 20+ years to work.

However, I hate change. I worry about all the “what if’s†of the new job not working out, though I have no reason to think it wouldn’t.

Would you take the new job even with the decrease in pay?

Is it a 25% decrease per hour or overall?  If per hour, I would probably take it, as the pros of working at home for me would be significant - including cost savings such as not needing to commute or keep up a work wardrobe, always eating at home, much less chance of needing child care, ease of making doctor appointments, being able to accommodate a more flexible schedule for my kids' activities, etc.

If it is a 25% decrease after considering the increase in hours, that might be a tougher decision.  But I still might opt for at home, because of the quality of life aspect. 

Another consideration is that your future career might get a better start with the at-home job if it more closely reflects what you like doing.  If you don't like customer service, you don't want your resume to be all customer service when you look for a full-time job.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 6

Is it a 25% decrease per hour or overall? If per hour, I would probably take it, as the pros of working at home for me would be significant - including cost savings such as not needing to commute or keep up a work wardrobe, always eating at home, much less chance of needing child care, ease of making doctor appointments, being able to accommodate a more flexible schedule for my kids' activities, etc.

If it is a 25% decrease after considering the increase in hours, that might be a tougher decision. But I still might opt for at home, because of the quality of life aspect.

Another consideration is that your future career might get a better start with the at-home job if it more closely reflects what you like doing. If you don't like customer service, you don't want your resume to be all customer service when you look for a full-time job.

It’s a 25% decrease per hour. So, with working more total hours, the decrease won’t be a lot.

I also have concerns that my “current†work experience is all customer service. Before kids and homeschooling is worked in insurance and IT, but that experience is now 15 years old.

ETA: current commute time is 30-40 min each day depending on traffic.

Edited by HSmomof2

I know the feeling. I am still stubbornly working 1 day a week at my old job while acknowledging that I should just take the plunge and quit as it would reduce costs and stress. The new job sometimes seems so risky but I have known the guy for ages and I know he is trustworthy as an employer.

Edited by kiwik
  • Like 1

I think you should take the new job. It may pay less per hour, but you’ll gain new skills and be able to work from home, while your current job is a dead end for you, because you will always be stuck in customer service, which you don’t like.

I know change is hard, but in this case, change sounds like the best thing for you.

Good luck, whatever you decide!!!

• Like 5

It sounds like a better fit long term, so I think I would go with it. 

That said, how will you feel about never being able to get away from your work?  Sometimes, having so much flexibility can be a bad thing if you're not good at managing your time, or if you're not good and setting the paid work out of your mind.

• Like 2

I would take the new job.  I worked 20 hours a week from home when ds was a newborn and I loved it  I could work at 6 a.m. or midnight.  It was awesome.

I am, or I was then, fairly well organized.  So there is that to consider....but having your weekends and evening free for family is so worth it.

It sounds like a better fit long term, so I think I would go with it.

That said, how will you feel about never being able to get away from your work? Sometimes, having so much flexibility can be a bad thing if you're not good at managing your time, or if you're not good and setting the paid work out of your mind.

That is definitely something to be mindful of.....I did work remotely as a programmer before kids and loved it. I have a very introverted and analytical personality, so, I think I’ll do well in the new job. My current job is in a public library at the information desk and dealing with the ‘variety’ of people and random questions constantly really wears on me. I will not miss that aspect at all. I’ve learned a lot and stretched myself in my current job, but it’s never been a good fit for my personality.

• Like 1

The couple of times I moved from a job I didn't like into one I did, I would think, "WHY didn't I do this sooner!?"  If it's a smallish amount of pay cut (less money per hour, but more hours), then I say that job satisfaction trumps money.  I wouldn't say that if the pay cut was going to harm you and your family's ability to survive.

• Like 2

Eliminating the commute is the best thing about DH working from home.

One thing to consider...will you ever have meetings? Meetings, ime, really make "set your own hours" less of a reality.

There would be occasional meetings to call into, but not every week.

I would definitely change.

Of course there's a chance it might not work out, but are you going to stay in a job you dislike forever on that chance? Besides, unlikeable jobs in customer service that involve evenings and weekends are not that hard to find, lol. You're not walking down a one-way street. 

• Like 1

You had me at "entire job is working remotely from home".  The saving on gas, eating out etc... pales in comparison to the free labor (drive time) you had been doing. On top of it you don't like the current job.  I'd add in the drive time, getting ready to go, etc... to hours worked and see if that doesn't even out the pay a bit.

• Like 1

I was offered the job and accepted. I have more mixed feelings than I expected.

Even though I should like the type of work better, and definitely will enjoy working remotely, the income loss kind of stInks.....more in principle than anything else.

When I decided to be a sahm 15 years ago, that cut our income by half. We’re accidental homeschoolers, so I planned to return to work much sooner. I’ve been at the current job that I don’t like for five years and have had promotions and salary increases to where I’m almost back (per hour) to where I was 15 years ago. Though, I will always dislike the job I’m currently doing, and there is nowhere else to go in this setting for me. But, going back $7(per hour) just kind of stings. I need to get over it and focus on the positives and long term.....better type of work, being able to eat dinner as a family, having my weekends back, being able to take dc to extracurriculars, setting my own schedule, no commute, etc.....

• Like 3

How serious will your family take the new job? In other words, will your dh understand that just because you work from home, you’re still working. So he will have to be on kid patrol during your set work hours.

Also, how disciplined and organized are you?

Do you have a place where you can work with the door shut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

How serious will your family take the new job? In other words, will your dh understand that just because you work from home, you’re still working. So he will have to be on kid patrol during your set work hours.

Also, how disciplined and organized are you?

Do you have a place where you can work with the door shut?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My family should be fine with it....they’re very happy to have me home evenings/weekends. Dc are 13 and 15, so they can work pretty independently. But, it will be nice to home so they can ask questions if needed (and ds can use a little more oversightðŸ˜). I will be able to set my own schedule, and plan to work early morning hours and should be done for the day by 10-11 am.

Take the job you WANT. Life is way too short to spend any part of your life consistently doing a job you really don't like. Stop worrying and start living. That sounds harsher than the tone intended. Honestly, if you have a job offer for a job you KNOW you'll like, take it! Learn from my own past experience and don't regret not taking it later.

• Like 1

Take the job you WANT. Life is way too short to spend any part of your life consistently doing a job you really don't like. Stop worrying and start living. That sounds harsher than the tone intended. Honestly, if you have a job offer for a job you KNOW you'll like, take it! Learn from my own past experience and don't regret not taking it later.

You’re right.....I am a super worrier, and while I can’t be certain everything will work out perfectly with the new job, I do know for certain the current job will never be better. The new job is better for the quality of my life for sure. Better type of work, better hours, better for my family, and better for my resume long term. I have accepted it.....I start in 3 weeks.

• Like 4

LIfe is short. Take the new job you think you will like better.  leave your old job on good standing so you can potentially go back if you need to, or at least get a good reference.

Zero commute time is very valuable in my book!  

After sleeping on it, getting over my PMS, and talking with my friend who has done the same job for the last three years.....I’m feeling much better and optimistic about the new job. I don’t do well with change, but I think this will be a good change.🙂

• Like 7