Menu

active wear that looks tidy and pulled together out of the house

Shellydon

I hate to exercise, and one of the  issues is changing into workout clothes, then changing back.  I don't actually have enough time to even do a 20 minute walk, much less change twice.  With this in mind, I am considering purchasing workout clothing that looks decent and tidy enough to wear in public to run errands.  My usually wardrobe is a pair of jeans and a trim fit v-neck t-shirt,so I am not super picky.  I do not own nor wear leggings, I don't like the way they look on my and their are no shirts long enough to go to mid thigh that do not balloon around me and make me look huge.  I am tall and have a 36 DDD bust, so anything flowy makes me look pregnant.  So, is there a workout pant with a v-neck shirt that would suffice for something like a 2 mile walk or TTAPP or yoga, but still allow me to leave the house and run to the store without changing?  I have a pair of yoga pants, but never ever leave the house with them on. 

Could you just work out in your regular clothes?

I ride my bike to work and I just wear deodorant and my work clothes... Old Navy has a lot of stretchable work pants, etc. I unbutton my white blouses. I also sometimes roll up the button up shirt and ride in in my camisol under a biking vest. Putting on a vest over my cami is not time-consuming at all.

• Like 4

Sleep in your workout clothes and get your walk in before you shower and get dressed?

I spend a lot of days in workout clothes. If I teach a 7 p.m. dance class, I will wear my “dance pants†all day. I just wear a fitted T with them. Black pants are black pants; it doesn’t matter too much what they’re made of so it might as well be comfortable. You can get yoga-type pants in a matte black and those don’t look so work-outish under a normal top. I’m lucky enough to have a local dance boutique that sells clothes so comfortable and stylish that even my lawyer friend wears them to work, but that’s pretty location specific.

You could also experiment with jeggings. They’re pretty great when you need to work out, then want to pull on boots and go in public

• Like 5

For my job I often wear a sports bra, athletic top, and leggings with something more dressy over the top.  My favourite thing is a short wool tunic and black knee-high boots.  When I run after work, I just take off the boots and tunic, and put on a warm top and trainers (sneakers).

For a brisk walk, I just put on trainers with whatever I am wearing.  Most days I walk at lunchtimes and for that I just wear my office clothes plus trainers.

• Like 4

Google athleisure to get a sense of how to pull comfortable, stylish outfits together.

Leggings are a practical first layer. Pair them with a cute top and an easy skirt, then add sneakers or boots depending on your activity/look you are going for. You are now ready to go for a walk, go to the grocery, get on the floor with the kids, go to a school meeting or work, meet for coffee, have a date night, ride a bike...and if you remove the skirt (depending), workout at the gym. It's an easy, versatile uniform and nearly always appropriate and grown up.

There are so many comfortable, workout ready pants that look nice. It's all how you pull an outfit together. The metro pants from Athleta are just one example. I wear those to the office with a fitted t and a modern cardigan. Pair with black sneakers, boots, or Mary Janes depending on my mood, and a nice necklace or infinity scarf. Pulled together, stylish, and as comfortable as sweat pants. :)

Also, cardigans are a great way to rein in flowy blouses.

• Like 4

Since I dress on a daily basis like this, I guess I can add something here  :laugh:

I love nice, black leggings.  The thick ones that aren't see through.  This is practically a uniform for me.  Then you put on a solid colored, fitting workout tank.

This is your workout outfit but now we will layer over it.  I usually layer a shirt and cardigan or a dress and cardigan.  In the hotter months, skip the cardigan.  I slide on some boots or cute shoes and then just need to change into athletic shoes for working out. You can also throw on a scarf or necklace.  I wear this sort of outfit to work even when I am not working out. It really doesn't look like workout clothes at all until you strip the top layers and change the shoes.  Warning:  Dressing like this gets addictive and other things just aren't comfortable anymore  :lol:

Edited by Attolia
  • Like 7

Google athleisure to get a sense of how to pull comfortable, stylish outfits together.

Leggings are a practical first layer. Pair them with a cute top and an easy skirt, then add sneakers or boots depending on your activity/look you are going for. You are now ready to go for a walk, go to the grocery, get on the floor with the kids, go to a school meeting or work, meet for coffee, have a date night, ride a bike...and if you remove the skirt (depending), workout at the gym. It's an easy, versatile uniform and nearly always appropriate and grown up.

There are so many comfortable, workout ready pants that look nice. It's all how you pull an outfit together. The metro pants from Athleta are just one example. I wear those to the office with a fitted t and a modern cardigan. Pair with black sneakers, boots, or Mary Janes depending on my mood, and a nice necklace or infinity scarf. Pulled together, stylish, and as comfortable as sweat pants. :)

Also, cardigans are a great way to rein in flowy blouses.

Haha, I posted and then read yours.  We basically wear the same uniform  :lol:

• Like 1

We love these at our house:  Nike Vintage Capri.  They are not tight like leggings (make sure you try them on though, because I accidentally got tight ones at Kohl's) and are fairly flattering.

Plus Size:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/nike-womens-sportswear-vintage-gym-plus-size-capri-pant#repChildCatid=5019719

Not plus size:

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/nike-womens-gym-vintage-capri-pant-105961271#repChildCatid=4165648

Bean has a couple different fits on their perfect fit pants.  Here's the straight cut: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/56777?page=perfect-fit-pants-straight-leg

Paring that pant with a comfortable sleeveless top and any sort of sweater or jacket would feel like sweats but look more put together.  And if you wanted to look more sporty you could pair with an athletic jacket, hoodie, or fleece.

• Like 2

Bean has a couple different fits on their perfect fit pants.  Here's the straight cut: https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/56777?page=perfect-fit-pants-straight-leg

Paring that pant with a comfortable sleeveless top and any sort of sweater or jacket would feel like sweats but look more put together.  And if you wanted to look more sporty you could pair with an athletic jacket, hoodie, or fleece.

These look great!

• Like 1

I need to add that I am not skinny -- :) I look like a sausage in leggings.

I hear ya. I’m small but my legs are muscular and short. I can’t do yoga pants at all. I stick with joggers and they’re perfect. My usual outfit is a pair of joggers with a top and a Northface puffer vest. Joggers look a bit more stylish than a pair of sweats and a puffer vest looks more intentional than a sweatshirt.

Wow, do those give you enough freedom of movement for things like yoga?  They look like ordinary pants!  Might have to try those.

Wow, do those give you enough freedom of movement for things like yoga?  They look like ordinary pants!  Might have to try those.

I am a terrible judge of that.  I have very short arms and yoga tends to infuriate me, but I know lots of other women on the board wear them too.  If more people don't chime in, perhaps you could start a spin off thread?

• Like 1

I am a terrible judge of that.  I have very short arms and yoga tends to infuriate me, but I know lots of other women on the board wear them too.  If more people don't chime in, perhaps you could start a spin off thread?

Oh, it's fine.  I don't actually do yoga anyway.  :lol:  I mentioned that only because the OP had mentioned it.  But basically they are more flexible and give you more freedom of movement than a "standard" constructed pant with a zipper, though they pretty much look like a standard pant, right?

I like these ideas, but I think a sport bra all day would be uncomfortable. When it gets light out early enough I can get dressed straight into my workout clothes, workout, shower and dress for the day. But in the cold, dark months I have trouble forcing myself to change into work out clothing for a lunch time workout. It just seems so inefficient. I think I'll try some of these ideas and look for more comfortable sport bras. 

I like these ideas, but I think a sport bra all day would be uncomfortable. When it gets light out early enough I can get dressed straight into my workout clothes, workout, shower and dress for the day. But in the cold, dark months I have trouble forcing myself to change into work out clothing for a lunch time workout. It just seems so inefficient. I think I'll try some of these ideas and look for more comfortable sport bras. 

If you find one, let me know!

I wear sports bras all the time. Hanes Champion medium support, not the super support ones. I don't even own any other kind (which shows how often I get dressed up ;)). I find them to be way more comfortable than any regular bras I've ever worn.

• Like 2

I wear sports bras all the time. Hanes Champion medium support, not the super support ones. I don't even own any other kind (which shows how often I get dressed up ;)). I find them to be way more comfortable than any regular bras I've ever worn.

I was kind of confused by that comment too. My sports bras tend to be much more comfortable than my everyday underpinnings.

• Like 4

I find sports bras to be less comfortable than other bras, too.  Maybe mine are too tight?  

So do I!  I feel like a good bra offers lift and support, while a sports bra just smashes them against your chest.  :lol:  I don't wear them any longer than I have to.  But if I'm buying the wrong kind, someone please educate me!

• Like 3

Those do not come any where near to big enough for some of us. Or supporting enough to keep things above the belly button.   Ahem.  :)

• Like 3

I need to add that I am not skinny -- :)  I look like a sausage in leggings.

Are you certain about that?  Even with a dress or long shirt/cardigan?  I am not a skinny girl.  I am not plus sized but I am far from skinny.  I hope I pull it off ok.  If not then please, oh please, just don't tell me.  Ignorance is bliss  :lol:

• Like 2

Kohl’s tekgear is really nice and if this matters to you- workout pants with pockets. Not all of their brand do but most of it does. I love these pants. I can ice skate, do yoga and still look good to go to a meeting in them. Athleta is great too but watch for sales.

BJ’s carries RBX brand that is very nice.

Ok, I know that I am a legging pant addict but I have some Tek Gear workout leggings with pockets that are thick and amazing.  Love, love, love them.

I have two pair just like this .....

https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-3077764/womens-tek-gear-jacquard-leggings.jsp?color=Black%20Navy%20Romance&prdPV=1

Edited by Attolia

So do I!  I feel like a good bra offers lift and support, while a sports bra just smashes them against your chest.   :lol:  I don't wear them any longer than I have to.  But if I'm buying the wrong kind, someone please educate me!

Panache makes a great, very supportive sports bra that doesn't give one smooshed uniboob.

• Like 3

I wear my Danskin straight-leg pants almost every weekend in and out of the house—and it's one of the few types I can find in petite/short lengths.

I like these pants too.  They are somewhat similar to the llbean pants posted above and the lands end starfish pants, except that the fabric of the danskin pants isn't quite as nice.

I've had my eye on a few things from Lou and Grey. They can be a bit pricey, but Loft has good sales:

https://www.loft.com/lg-pants/cat1970010

I was thinking about buying a pair of cosmic joggers and the upstate sweats. 

I really wanted to buy a pair because it said extra 40% off but the shopping cart wouldn't give it to me. When I asked Live Chat, they told me it was only for the color black which is crap since it showed the discount under every color. Ugh. Sometimes I really hate shopping online.

So do I! I feel like a good bra offers lift and support, while a sports bra just smashes them against your chest. :lol: I don't wear them any longer than I have to. But if I'm buying the wrong kind, someone please educate me!

I wear sports bras 99% of the time, but I opt for an underwire style, so, minimal crushing (I’m not small....it’s either underwire or crush for me). The Maia style by Movibg Comfort/Brooks is my favorite. It’s super comfortable, much more so than any traditional bra I’ve owned since having children.

• Like 1

I really wanted to buy a pair because it said extra 40% off but the shopping cart wouldn't give it to me. When I asked Live Chat, they told me it was only for the color black which is crap since it showed the discount under every color. Ugh. Sometimes I really hate shopping online.

I don't think I've ever noticed them singling out a color to put on sale. The rest will be on sale eventually, but hopefully the size I want doesn't sell out.

• Like 1

I wear sports bras 99% of the time, but I opt for an underwire style, so, minimal crushing (I’m not small....it’s either underwire or crush for me). The Maia style by Movibg Comfort/Brooks is my favorite. It’s super comfortable, much more so than any traditional bra I’ve owned since having children.

Thanks, I’ll try that one!