Menu

Hiking vs walking and do you hike/walk alone?

Ottakee

I went for a beautiful 2.75 mile hike in the woods today in the freshly fallen snow. The trail I took was a snowshoe trail but with only 2-3 inches of snow it was better suited to walking (except the sheets of ice hidden under the snow). I was alone and didn't see another person...just one deer I followed for a ways.

What differentiates a walk vs a hike to you? And do you walk/hike alone?

A longer walk on natural terrain turns into a hike. 

I definitely walk alone, it helps me keep my sanity. I don't get many chances to hike alone, because there is no natural terrain at my doorstep. I definitely do so when I get the chance (shorter hikes, not all day deals). 

• Like 1

I'm with Regentrude on this one.  I think the lines between hike and walk can be a little blurry, too.  To me, a mile can be a hike if it's unpaved and maybe a little difficult.  A flat loop around, say, a campground, wouldn't really fit my definition of a hike.  Well, I guess it did when my kids were little!  So it depends on the people among other things.

I walk alone. Don't have many opportunities to hike alone right now. Or even with someone!  I won't hike alone in a place with much difficulty. I have always been clumsy but as I age I feel less steady.  So my days of hiking to the top of Mt Lassen (Northern CA) alone are over.  (I did it in my middle 30s, though.) 

Edited by marbel

I walk alone because I walk in urban areas where cellphone signals and WiFi signals are strong. If I feel dizzy, breathless, unwell, help is a phone call or text message away.

I usually hike at state or federal parks and I hike with family or at least a ranger led group. Many times there are no cellphone signals and if I need to sit somewhere in the middle of a trail for an hour to recuperate, I rather have someone know where I am and having company would be preferred. We tried using long range walkie talkies at state parks for family hikes.

I live urban.  I walk alone all the time.  When I'm gone over an hour and exploring a bit on my walk even if it's primarily concrete (though there are off road options in my urban area), I often post pictures tagged "Urban Hike".  It's a fine line.  I don't really care if people use the term interchangably.  But I generally use it for longer more explorational kind of walking excursions. 

• Like 1

I agree that a longer walk on natural terrain = hike.

I walk with the dog. I guess that qualifies as alone if you're only counting other humans. He's good for up to four miles. Hiking is usually done with other humans, as it entails going somewhere in a vehicle (so a coordinated outing). I'm not against hiking alone/have no fear of it, it's just something I have not yet done.

I walk around the neighbourhood, and I hike in the woods on trails. Then again, I have been for walks in the woods, so I don't think I bother making a huge distinction between the two. Snowshoeing is a hike with weighted feet and wider stance, but could involve more challenges depending on snow conditions (e.g., depth, powder vs wet and heavy) and if you happen to have a dog on leash. ;)

Distance isn't a factor for me because there are times when you have very little time, but you are still getting in a good outdoor experience. 

I walk and hike alone often. It can be more fun with company, but if the company is an annoying dog it might not be.  :tongue_smilie:  I enjoy taking photos during my showshoe hikes. There are some beautiful discoveries in nature. It's also fun to have seeds on hand for the birds. Sometimes they'll eat right out of your hand. 

Edited by wintermom
  • Like 2

I walk/run on my own all the time, but I never hiked on my own until last January. I went on a work trip with my husband and decided to hike during the day while he was working. It had never really occurred to me to go by myself before.

I think of a walk as being in town, usually on a paved path or sidewalk. I generally think of hikes as occurring in my natural areas although I have been on hikes in the center of a city.

Length doesn’t matter so much as effort. I went on a trail in CA that was under a mile long, but it gained 1500’ in that time, it was definitely a hike. I’ve also been on 3-4 mile trails with friends where they called it a hike but I considered it a walk. I don’t think it really matters what it’s called as long as you enjoy yourself. 😊

• Like 3

I think there are another terms that aren't used much these days, or are more distinctive in other languages, but create wonderful pictures in my mind about travelling by foot - striding and wandering. I believe that in German there are clubs and groups with Wander in the name. It's very clear that people will be walking in nature on a variety of different terrains. And with a group experience, it's probably happening over a longer distance and time frame than a quick walk to the post office. 

Edited by wintermom

for me going on a walk is somewhere with a level path and hike the path has uneven terrain.

Like in some state parks they have a totally gravel or paved trail or board walk   They do this to make acceptable to someone that could not hike.

Hiking you are going to be walking with rock/holes/ruts.    I live rural so I do take long walks one way  4 mile to the only little mom/pop store alone.   But I also live near a national and state park. .   I tend to not walk along there  because it actual hiking.  There are areas without cell phone signals .  The trail are very rough with dangerous areas, there are snakes and just not something that's wise to do on your on.

There is only one trail at the park  that goes to the local water hole/falls that's about 2 miles round trip .  Its rugged but I do go to it on my own.  Its almost always has someone that will show up.

• Like 1

IMHO, a walk is on relatively easy terrain and is usually short.  A hike involves trails, big hills, or some other more difficult terrain and may be short or long.  ETA:  I walk alone, but I don't hike alone.  We have some great hiking areas near us, but I'm one that would likely sprain my ankle or trip and fall into a hole or something, and cell coverage can be spotty.  I want the security of knowing someone will be around to get help.   

Edited by klmama

Love all the responses. Wish we lived closer and could walk/hike together.

I guess I fall more on side where walk is a paved and/or more level area where a hike is more carried terrain, changes in elevation, more natural areas.

I rarely walk or hike alone as most of the time it is in more rural/secluded areas. If I take the dog along it is not considered "alone". I love going with my kids or friends but that isn't always possible.

Most of our hikes though are only a few miles and rarely over 2 hours, many just an hour or so.

• Like 2

I remember looking up the definitions one time out of curiosity but I don't remember what is what officially. I generally don't hike or walk alone, I'm not opposed to it, I'm just so used to going out with the kids dh it feels weird to be out alone (like going to the movies alone or something). When I think of my own activities I think of hiking when I'm a specific trail and more of walking when I'm walking on the road/pavement, although I've done a few smaller trails that were paved (obviously those were easy ones)

I think of hiking as taking place in a natural area and walking as a more suburban or urban activity. Terrain doesn't matter as much in my definition, there are plenty of habitats in which to take a hike that are flat and level and there are some cities that are built on hills. I will happily walk or hike with people, with my dog, or alone unless I feel the area is dangerous for some reason (usually places where sketchy humans hang out as I don't live near cougars or grizzly bears). I can be fearful when hiking or walking alone but I try to overcome it. I live in a fairly safe region. I have a cell phone that works in most places (except my house for some reason). On heavily traveled trails most of the people I meet are really friendly. On other trails I am unlikely to see anyone, nice or not. I started worrying a little about rabid animals after a very intense, dramatic, detailed story I heard on the radio about a rabid racoon attack, but those are rare and I suppose rabid animals are just as likely to be in my yard as along a trail. I go on two or more "walks" down my road per day. There are hills, and the road runs along a large wilderness preserve. There are coyotes and black bears and thousands of acres of beech/fir forest so the experience of my walks is a lot more wild than my "hikes" when I lived in suburban NY. 

My dad uses a term for a twilight walk that I really like and have adopted, an "evening constitutional". I don't know where he got it from, but I just looked it up and it appears that while it means a healthy walk, people have used the term as a euphemism for heading to the outhouse. lol

That's because the verb "wandern" is the German equivalent of "to hike"

Interesting. In Norway the translated term into English is "to trek." Another lesser used term to mean hike. No wonder there is some confusion as to what people are referring to in English. There are so many different types of terrain and so many different variables, that the same word can mean different things.