Menu

What homeschool regulations do you think ARE reasonable?

ktgrok

I'm happy to register, and I do wish more states did that for statistic purposes. It may not be popular, but I like the legitimacy factor and would love to be able to show better stats than we have access to today.

My state does not give authorization for approval to districts, but my district likes to phrase their recognition letter as approval, and that chaps my hide. Our former state liason never cared to address that, but there's a chance we might make some headway going forward.

There is a difference between what I consider reasonable, and what I think is needed. I believe that all of my state's regulations (PA) are *reasonable*, except maybe the 3rd, 5th, and 8th testing. I don't really think any of them are NEEDED. Even ones I agree with in theory, like not being a criminal, specifically in the area of abuse, are somewhat easy to get around. Do I think my district is pulling background checks on every registration? No. But I suppose they could. And maybe that should be a thing. I still don't put full confidence in background checks, because no one is flagged until they're caught. My own co-op requires them, but I don't know what people do in private.

The more I think about it, the more I might lean toward annual physicals, and I say that as a parent who doesn't currently do annual physicals. NOT submitting medical records, but something even more basic than DMV learner's permit sections. "I've seen Suzy Smith, XX/XX/XXXX. Jack Sprat, MD." A school district does not need Dr. Sprat's observations any more than Dr. Sprat needs the district's input.

I think the objectives are stupid. They aren’t allowed to use them to decide if you educated your child properly, nor can they hold you to them. They’re a pointless hoop that really serves no purpose.

I’d prefer no regulations at all, but I suppose I don’t really mind the affidavit (except that it’s a pain to have to go get it notarized every year — I feel like once should be enough), nor the portfolio review. It would still be possible to game the system, but it’s harder to do so if you have to do a portfolio. I seriously doubt that’ll catch people who abuse their children, but it may be a wake up call for nonschoolers.

Of course, no regs are going to help people who choose to be underground. They only regulate law abiding citizens.

The only regs I’m really in favor of are requirements for certain credits in high school IF you want to claim a diploma. If you want a diploma that bears a state’s name on it, you probably should meet some standard of requirements. Of course, here, the requirements for graduation are different for homeschoolers vs. public schoolers, which I do find hilarious, but I don’t especially mind that my kid is required to have X English and Y math, same as the public school kids.

• Like 1

It's totally gameable, if you were an evil and clever and very organised abuser. 

I am in Florida, and am satisfied with my state's requirement of "progress commensurate with ability," demonstrated by a standardized test, portfolio eval by a certifed teacher, or a couple of other options. 

The above quote is why I am opposed to more regulation, including charting days, curricula, grades, etc. Because whatever regs are in place, people will find a way around them, and in the meantime they lessen the freedom I have to educate my own children.

Florida's requirement of a portfolio eval is super easy to get around--I don't think you'd have to look very hard to find someone with teacher certification willing to sign a paper for you for $40 without ever seeing your kid or their work.

• Like 3

I live in a "letter of intent" only state. I was once very anti-regulation of any sort and considered going off-the-books even here with such simple requirements. We're only in gr4 now but I've come to change my views on this. For my own protection I would be okay with more regulation. Right now if someone wants to point at me and say I'm not doing a good enough job homeschooling, how do I *legally* prove that I am? If there are no regulations, I have nothing to meet. If we had some standards in place, I would have that to point back at and say "see, I'm doing x, y, and z, just as is required". As it turns out I am doing that because we have opted to go through a charter that provides us funds in return for very simple reporting. I'm doing it for the funds, but honestly it's also a little reassuring to know that I will have a year's worth of back and forth between myself and their "teacher" praising their work and effort. I don't need the validation that I'm doing fine, but it's there if anyone else wants to cause a problem for us.

I think letter of intent/registering as homeschoolers and something year-end to show progress whether that be a test result, a portfolio, or an evaluator. Preferably with a choice between which method would fit your style and child best.

ETA: I would like to add that I don't see any of this as a way to prevent abuse. Those that want to hide will simply not comply. I see it as more of a CYA for those who ARE doing right by their kids and as a way to find and help those who may be struggling.

If there are no requirements, why would you need to legally protect yourself? No one can legally claim you aren't doing a good enough job if there are no legal requirements. I don't understand this. Who is coming to knock on your door to investigate?

• Like 1

I'm in Missouri, and our state has absolutely nothing to do with private schools. They don't certify or approve or accredit anything, unless that school receives public funds for whatever reason (something about registering then, but none of the other stuff). I'm sure many of them have accreditation through somewhere, but it's not required or checked.

This is how it is in Texas, too. The state oversees public education ONLY. Private education is totally separate, hence the moniker of "private".

This is absolutely crazy to me. How can a state not supervise private schools? So I could just start telling people my home is a private school, enroll a bunch of students, and charge them tuition - and I don't need approval or supervision to do that? 

I do think that states have a right to supervise private schools - if only for safety reasons. I know that our private schools have almost identical requirements to homeschools - register, keep attendance, give annual standardized tests, and keep that information along with immunization records at the school site and available for inspection. I think that private schools have some additional requirements for the actual building itself, and they do have to allow the state to come onto the premises to inspect their files. Getting accreditation is an additional thing that some private schools do, but not all. All of that seems reasonable to me as a way to ensure that all kids get access to a basic education, and that compulsory education laws are being followed. 

So maybe our set-up colors my view greatly, but I don't view homeschool regulations as overstepping on the part of the state. We aren't being asked to do anything more than any private school is being asked to do. In fact, we're being asked for less. And I don't see the state board of education as "public school" people who need to mind their own business. Ensuring that all children in the state have access to a basic education is their business. 

I'm in California. We have an over-zealous legislature that has been steadily chipping away at personal freedoms and parental choice for years in the area of compelled speech, mental health care, medical care, school choice, and other areas.  (I'm not going to get more specific.  I don't want to derail this thread.)  So, with that in mind, because of the legislature's current reputation I would not support any further regulations for home schoolers.

And yet, children DO have a right to a basic education and to live without abuse.  So, if I lived in a state where the lawmakers were more trustworthy and cared even a little about individual rights I wouldn't completely freak out if we had the following regulations: 

1.  Create a separate homeschool law rather than lumping it under private school law.  

2.  Annual notification that we are homeschooling. 

3.  Every year, everyone (teaching parent, homeschooled child(ren)) meets with an evaluator of their choosing at the location of their choosing to submit a portfolio or test scores (test to be chosen by the parent).  The goal of this regulation would be to make sure parents are making at least some effort to actually educate their children and also give the children face-to-face access to a mandated reporter.  Even unschoolers who are not non-schoolers could come up with a pretty cool portfolio.  It might not look traditional, but it could still showcase the "learning all the time" philosophy.

I think those regs would not be onerous to the majority of independent homeschoolers.  We would still have freedom to teach how we see fit.  However, they might actually help some children in borderline situations, and that is something worth considering.  Sometimes an extra nudge of accountability makes all the difference in the world. 

However, let's not fool ourselves.  It wouldn't have helped the Turpin children.  Those so-called parents are evil and would have just gone underground.  You really can't save everyone. :(   

Unfortunately, this is California.  I don't trust the state legislature to stick to simple, common sense rules.  They're already politicizing the Turpin situation and there's nothing to stop them from over-regulating it to the point that traditional homeschooling is outlawed and families are forced to use public charter school "homeschool" programs if they want to keep their kids out of B&M schools.  I'm not exaggerating when I say that if you give them an inch, they'll take a mile.  I've seen it happen over and over regarding other issues.

So, given the context, of our current political climate, I don't support further regulations.  Because our legislature sucks.  Should we ever have a political era in CA where some semblance of sanity reigns, I'll revisit my opinion.

Edited by shinyhappypeople
  • Like 6

This is absolutely crazy to me. How can a state not supervise private schools? So I could just start telling people my home is a private school, enroll a bunch of students, and charge them tuition - and I don't need approval or supervision to do that? 

In Texas, home schools are considered to be private schools. 

And yes, you could absolutely do that. Many of the Protestant private schools in my area started exactly like that. (The Catholic schools had to go through their own channels for supervision/approval, but not those of the government.)

It's legal here to home school someone else's children.

• Like 1

I do think that states have a right to supervise private schools - if only for safety reasons. I know that our private schools have almost identical requirements to homeschools - register, keep attendance, give annual standardized tests, and keep that information along with immunization records at the school site and available for inspection. I think that private schools have some additional requirements for the actual building itself, and they do have to allow the state to come onto the premises to inspect their files. Getting accreditation is an additional thing that some private schools do, but not all. All of that seems reasonable to me as a way to ensure that all kids get access to a basic education, and that compulsory education laws are being followed. 

So maybe our set-up colors my view greatly, but I don't view homeschool regulations as overstepping on the part of the state. We aren't being asked to do anything more than any private school is being asked to do. In fact, we're being asked for less. And I don't see the state board of education as "public school" people who need to mind their own business. Ensuring that all children in the state have access to a basic education is their business.

When other posters have said that their state doesn't supervise private schools, I wonder if they are only speaking about the educational component while you are including the building and fire code compliance as well?

The private schools in my state are not supervised by the state board of education - they are supervised by the parents who are paying the tuition. In order to stay in business, they have to provide a quality education or the parents will enroll their kids elsewhere. Now these schools still have to pass various building inspections, but these inspections are not conducted by the state board of education. Other government agencies are responsible to ensure the physical structure is in compliance with state laws.

• Like 2

I like whet we have in VA as outlined by Homeagain. Annual beginning of year notice of intent and a letter from the school district that says you are on record. Annual nationally normed test scores sent to the school district at year end. I think that the only thing that could be improved is that the districts provide proctored testing sites so that people can’t fraudulently take tests for thier kiddos (ie some way of notarizing the test). Testing beginning at 2nd or third grade. It’s not a high bar, I think they have to score in the 20th percentile or higher, and only math and language arts.

ETA: I also think it should be legal here to homeschool other’s children without a current teacher’s license, say up to 6 children or your family size, whichever is greater.

Edited by SamanthaCarter

Ironically, there is probably one way that the state does regulate private schools - sports eligibility. The state high school activities association sets standards for schools participating in interscholastic sports. So private high schools that want to be able to play against public schools and be eligible for state titles have to meet those standards. And students at private high schools have to meet those academic benchmarks (which is why homeschoolers here cannot play varsity sports, because we don't have a standard grade/course verification system for homeschoolers).

And in order to have high schoolers that can keep up to maintain athletic eligibility, feeder K-8 schools have to keep up their standards.

Between that and tuition paying parents and donors and archdiocese oversight (most private schools here are Catholic and/or supported by wealthy donors/alumni), that's essentially what regulates private non-home schools.

If your state regulates private schools, then I don’t have a problem with them requiring similar hoop-jumping from homeschools.

What I object to is states requiring homeschoolers to do things that B&M private schools are exempt from doing. Either require testing, portfolios, an outside evaluation, etc. from homeschools and B&M private schools alike or else exempt homeschoolers too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ironically, there is probably one way that the state does regulate private schools - sports eligibility. The state high school activities association sets standards for schools participating in interscholastic sports. So private high schools that want to be able to play against public schools and be eligible for state titles have to meet those standards. And students at private high schools have to meet those academic benchmarks (which is why homeschoolers here cannot play varsity sports, because we don't have a standard grade/course verification system for homeschoolers).

And in order to have high schoolers that can keep up to maintain athletic eligibility, feeder K-8 schools have to keep up their standards.

Between that and tuition paying parents and donors and archdiocese oversight (most private schools here are Catholic and/or supported by wealthy donors/alumni), that's essentially what regulates private non-home schools.

What type of standards to the athletes have to meet? Is there a certain benchmark that they have to reach on a standardized test or something along those lines? Are there certain classes they have to take?

In my state, the kids have to maintain a certain gpa to be eligible to compete, but each school gets to determine its grading criteria. Homeschoolers can also participate on the public school team without submitting any grades to anyone.

So my state athletic association requires a certain a certain gpa, but nothing that would be standard for all kids across all the various schools.

Edited by snowbeltmom

I'm in NJ and didn't have to do anything when I pulled my son out or report anything to anyone over the years. I operate under the assumption that I may have to prove that I provided an equivalent education by keeping records. I'm happy with the way things are here, but there is a part of me that might have traded all of that freedom to be high regulation if I was provided services for my Aspie son. Services like working with a SLP, therapy for his sensory processing disorder, the ability to join social skills groups at local schools, counseling, specialized curriculum and programs that are too expensive to purchase on our own, etc. Most providers don't accept insurance and charge a fortune in my area. When my son stopped eating in 2nd grade partly due to sensory issues and severe anxiety, we spent over $4000 on a specialized SLP to get him eating again, and that's just for that one specific problem over a period of 5 months. 

What type of standards to the athletes have to meet? Is there a certain benchmark that they have to reach on a standardized test or something along those lines?

In my state, the kids have to maintain a certain gpa to be eligible to compete, but each school gets to determine its grading criteria. Homeschoolers can also participate on the public school team without submitting any grades to anyone.

So my state athletic association requires a certain a certain gpa, but nothing that would be standard for all kids across all the various schools.

As far as I understand, it's based GPA and enrollment. Students have to meet GPA requirements, but at a school where they are a "bonafide" student. If you homeschool entirely, you cannot play for the public school because you aren't using their grades, and since we don't have to register or file a LOI or anything, no way to check. They don't want people pulling failing kids, then giving them fake passing home grades while continuing to play for their public school. I'm not sure how they keep private schools from inflating grades, that's probably deeper into the handbook. And parent/alumni pressure and money probably helps enforce that.

There's something about homeschool associations forming teams, but there's some gibberish about eligibility guidelines on the students, but I don't know how it works.

That being said, I know for a fact my alma mater was allowing in-district homeschoolers to play because they honestly need all the help they can get athletically. I don't know if there was a legal part-time enrollment arrangement or something more nefarious. Neither would surprise me.

• Like 1

Why is it so surprising that a school would be born out of someone's living room coop class or similar? That the government would have no need or purview to get involved in people organizing that sort of thing? Parents coming together to pay a tutor to teach their kids blossoms into something more. What does the government need to do there?

• Like 6

Florida's requirement of a portfolio eval is super easy to get around--I don't think you'd have to look very hard to find someone with teacher certification willing to sign a paper for you for $40 without ever seeing your kid or their work.

I've wondered, but honestly, they'd be putting their teaching certificate on the line to do that, and I don't know that they'd take that risk for a mere $40, you know?

I live in a no requirements state.  Or at least it says you need to provide an "equivalent education" but the entire burden of proof is on the state so no notification, no testing, no portfolios, nothing.

I'd be okay with testing OR portfolio review in the same grades that they test in public schools.  I think it would help homeschool parents to periodically check progress and make sure they are on the track they want to be on.  We do the CAT test every few years, and ds was tested by our local university GT program.

I think attendance records for homeschoolers are the stupidest thing ever.

I live in a no requirements state. Or at least it says you need to provide an "equivalent education" but the entire burden of proof is on the state so no notification, no testing, no portfolios, nothing.

I'd be okay with testing OR portfolio review in the same grades that they test in public schools. I think it would help homeschool parents to periodically check progress and make sure they are on the track they want to be on. We do the CAT test every few years, and ds was tested by our local university GT program.

I think attendance records for homeschoolers are the stupidest thing ever.

Goodness, yes. Attendance records are truly stupid for homeschoolers. I’m required to provide one. Most of the people I know simply check boxes on a calendar. Now, I believe that every day is a learning opportunity, especially for elementary age children, and that even if there’s no bookwork, it’s still an educational day. So I would say that my kids are being educated 365 Days a year, but I feel like putting that on my attendance calendar just invites more scrutiny, like it’s kind of taunting the school. I believe in giving them what they need and only what the law requires, so I limit my check marks to around 200 (180 are required).

Goodness, yes. Attendance records are truly stupid for homeschoolers. I’m required to provide one. Most of the people I know simply check boxes on a calendar. Now, I believe that every day is a learning opportunity, especially for elementary age children, and that even if there’s no bookwork, it’s still an educational day. So I would say that my kids are being educated 365 Days a year, but I feel like putting that on my attendance calendar just invites more scrutiny, like it’s kind of taunting the school. I believe in giving them what they need and only what the law requires, so I limit my check marks to around 200 (180 are required).

We track hours in MO, which is incredibly annoying for really young elementary kids in an enriching home environment with limited non-educational screen access.   I despise having every waking moment of our lives and every child-led interest chopped down and chronicled into 15 minute intervals.  Even if I'm tracking more than I need to, it irks me to even think about it like that.

We track hours in MO, which is incredibly annoying for really young elementary kids in an enriching home environment with limited non-educational screen access. I despise having every waking moment of our lives and every child-led interest chopped down and chronicled into 15 minute intervals. Even if I'm tracking more than I need to, it irks me to even think about it like that.

Yeah, that’s even stupider.

I've wondered, but honestly, they'd be putting their teaching certificate on the line to do that, and I don't know that they'd take that risk for a mere $40, you know?

I'm in Maine, which also has the option to do standardized testing or portfolio evaluation by state certified teacher.  The portfolio evaluator I use did homeschool her own children for a few years, so she does have an idea of the level of involvement and commitment it takes to do it well.  

She was asked by some homeschool families whom she has known for a while if she would sign off on their paperwork for the state.  She refused.  She explained to those families (who were more in the "as long as they love Jesus, it'll all be fine--there's absolutely nothing wrong with my completely illiterate 10 year old" camp) that *she* could not in good conscience state that their children were getting an "age appropriate instruction" in the list of subjects the state law requires.  So she would not sign.  Period.  The families were highly offended that she would not "help the homeschooling community."  She told the families that they needed to worry more about helping their children master basic skills.  

There is another evaluator in my area who was well known for signing papers for any homeschool family, without seeing anything.  Once a year, she would show up at a local coop and blithely sign off on anyone who waved the paper in her face and payed her fee.  

• Like 2

I don't know what regulations I'd require. It seems like you're damned if you do and damned if you don't have regs.

I live in a state where homeschoolers need to turn in a small stack of papers every year. So small stack times X-number of kids means I had a couple of 1\2-inch binders filled within the the first several years.

I had handcarried all my paperwork several times a year to turn it in and personally handed it to the appropriate bureaucrat**.

Imagine my surprise when, several years in, a truancy officer came to my door and said this same bureaucrat said I had NEVER* turned in ANY* paperwork. I ran and got my binders and he stood on my porch and quickly flipped thru them and said he'd get back to me. I never heard from him again.

I still wonder what would have happened if I hadn't had those binders readily available?

*I asked him how he even knew about us if I had never turned anything in. No answer.

**Bureaucrat would always make comments about how "parents usually include XYZ" with XYZ an item NOT required by the regs. I'd always practice my noncommittal verbal noises when she said stuff like that.

Mmmhrrr...

Ahhhhhhmmm...

Hhhhhhuhhhhhh...

• Like 5

Unsinkable, that has to be so annoying! I had the district lose the middle piece of registration paperwork my first year. They sent me a letter to request it, and I calmly sent them a new one. I KNOW I turned it in, but I had no way to prove that I had. Now, I make them sign a receipt that lists each piece of paperwork each year.

We track hours in MO, which is incredibly annoying for really young elementary kids in an enriching home environment with limited non-educational screen access.   I despise having every waking moment of our lives and every child-led interest chopped down and chronicled into 15 minute intervals.  Even if I'm tracking more than I need to, it irks me to even think about it like that.

Yeah, i'm pro regulation but that's banana pants. 

We have no attendance requirement here. 

Unsinkable, that has to be so annoying! I had the district lose the middle piece of registration paperwork my first year. They sent me a letter to request it, and I calmly sent them a new one. I KNOW I turned it in, but I had no way to prove that I had. Now, I make them sign a receipt that lists each piece of paperwork each year.

Yeah, annoying was part of it. But fear was bigger bc I couldn't figure out WHY or HOW this guy came to be standing at my door.

I'm not an organized person and I just as easily could have NOT been able to grab those binders* quickly. Then what?

*I have an Archaeological Paperwork Philosophy. Those binders had recently been used so they were visible and near the top in my piles of papers and books. Had I had a landslide or cave-in or other calamity befall...the binders could have been buried.

• Like 4

A similar thing happened to me.  My kids were accused of being truant, but  I did have proof of sending in my paperwork: There was a long pause on the other end of the line when I asked the truant officer for his fax number so I could send him a copy of the letter that his office had sent me when they had received my paperwork.   He then told me that faxing the letter would not be necessary and I never heard from him again.  I now send my  yearly info certified mail.  

Edited by snowbeltmom
  • Like 5

A similar thing happened to me. My kids were accused of being truant, but I did have proof of sending in my paperwork: There was a long pause on the other end of the line when I asked the truant officer for his fax number so I could send him a copy of the letter that his office had sent me when they had received my paperwork. He then told me that faxing the letter would not be necessary and I never heard from him again. I now send my yearly info certified mail.

Sending certified mail, return receipt requested is the advice given to HSers here, too.

• Like 1

A similar thing happened to me. My kids were accused of being truant, but I did have proof of sending in my paperwork: There was a long pause on the other end of the line when I asked the truant officer for his fax number so I could send him a copy of the letter that his office had sent me when they had received my paperwork. He then told me that faxing the letter would not be necessary and I never heard from him again. I now send my yearly info certified mail.

I am just waiting for something similar with DD#2. I sent her notice of intent at the time when our county's home ed person was retiring, and I have reason to believe it got lost in the shuffle - never got the confirmation letter, have received mail from their office to DD#1 but not DD#2. However, I sent it certified and I have the return receipt, plus I have an email response from the boss of the home ed person saying "yes, we got it! That letter of confirmation should get to you soon!"

I expect that when I take in her annual eval, their office will be like, "who?"

• Like 1

Ours don't need to be teacher signed, and I'd be very anti the suggestion that my homeschooling needs teacher approval. To me, that's high regulation, not moderate and reasonable.

Hmm. Having a teacher of my choice (and there are a TON in the homeschool community that keep their certification up for this reason) doesn't seem bad to me. Because then only the teacher of MY choice sees the portfolio, I don't send it to the district or anything. I send the letter from the teacher saying that my child made progress commensurate with abilty. The district only sees that letter. 

It's never been onerous. But again, these are teachers that are familiar with homeschooling, and do this of their own choice. 

I don't need teacher oversight to homeschool adequately. I'd refuse this on principle if it ever became law in my state. It's not a matter of being onerous or not. It's a matter of imposed hierarchies, where 'teacher' is higher than 'home educator'. Nope. 

I would refuse this out of principle if B&M schools were not subject to the same requirement.

It's one thing IMHO to say "our state wants to ensure that all students have outside accountability that they're making adequate academic progress" and quite another to ONLY make HSers have oversight while exempting B&M private schools. EVERYBODY or NOBODY.

• Like 3

Hmm. Having a teacher of my choice (and there are a TON in the homeschool community that keep their certification up for this reason) doesn't seem bad to me. Because then only the teacher of MY choice sees the portfolio, I don't send it to the district or anything. I send the letter from the teacher saying that my child made progress commensurate with abilty. The district only sees that letter. 

It's never been onerous. But again, these are teachers that are familiar with homeschooling, and do this of their own choice.

This is how it works in my state, too. I would have an issue with this regulation if we didn't get to choose the evaluator because we could potentially have to deal with someone on a power trip or bias against homeschoolers. As it is, if I didn't like the evaluator, I would simply hire another one that shared my same philosophy.

I would refuse this out of principle if B&M schools were not subject to the same requirement.

It's one thing IMHO to say "our state wants to ensure that all students have outside accountability that they're making adequate academic progress" and quite another to ONLY make HSers have oversight while exempting B&M private schools. EVERYBODY or NOBODY.

I don't see it as a very requirement in itself, but I do think that your principle of the same standard for all has to take into account that sometimes, the same kind of requirement might look different in different settings.

My guess is that what they want here is someone who has some kind of education training to have a look at the child's work, so they can pick up on any problems that someone without that training might not see - I suppose it could even be something simple like a parent with really unreasonable expectations.

A child in school has that because of the requirements for teachers that they hire, but to get the same thing for homeschooled kids you'd have to approach it a different way.

Fair enough!

We already lost here in my state/country. I'd have to move overseas or break the law to not compromise now.

Once a bad law is passed, we all have to live with it. And I'd complain loudly every.single.time I had to comply with the crummy law, and look for every opportunity to change the law.

But given the choice, I would not compromise.

• Like 4

Do you have to pay for the evaluator ?

We do, or for the year end test, if we choose that. An evaluation would be about $80 per child, a very basic home administered test about $30 per child.

Also, in order to properly file, I need to have a working printer, and copy machine, as well as internet. Then I need to go to the post office and send it by certified mail. Of course, I could also do all my printing and copying and internet use at the library, or go to Staples or Office Max. I do have all the things I need, and I can pay $150+ a year for tests.

I'm guessing there are many people who have only 1 car, which the husband uses to work, and do not have extra money to run around town and do all those things. Should they not be allowed to homeschool? I think it is an unfair burden.

• Like 3

Once a bad law is passed, we all have to live with it. And I'd complain loudly every.single.time I had to comply with the crummy law, and look for every opportunity to change the law.

But given the choice, I would not compromise.

Oh yes, loudly for sure. They will not enjoy 'randomly selecting' me...

• Like 1

A child in school has that because of the requirements for teachers that they hire, but to get the same thing for homeschooled kids you'd have to approach it a different way.

B&M private schools can hire whomever they like as there are no credential requirements for private school teachers. If the state shouldn't trust homeschoolers to judge the adequacy of their students' progress, why should the state place blind trust in B&M private schools to do so? Either have outside accountability for both groups or for neither.

• Like 6

Do you have to pay for the evaluator ?

Yes, but in the grand scheme of things it is not that expensive - usually about $25 per child. However, my state permits me to substitute standardized test scores for the evaluation if I would rather go that route. Beginning in middle school, my kids take the PSAT at my public school to satisfy the yearly homeschool requirement.

• Like 1

B&M private schools can hire whomever they like as there are no credential requirements for private school teachers. If the state shouldn't trust homeschoolers to judge the adequacy of their students' progress, why should the state place blind trust in B&M private schools to do so? Either have outside accountability for both groups or for neither.

I think the sense is different even so.  There is a really different sense of "outside people" when you are talking about a parent and a school.  I wouldn't say at all that it can never go wrong at a school, but there are many children, many parents, and many teachers, and the teachers and parents all are accountable to each other.  

That's not so much the case with a child being taught by a parent - you could easily have a situation where the only one who sees what is going on academically is the one parent.

• Like 2

We do, or for the year end test, if we choose that. An evaluation would be about $80 per child, a very basic home administered test about $30 per child.

Also, in order to properly file, I need to have a working printer, and copy machine, as well as internet. Then I need to go to the post office and send it by certified mail. Of course, I could also do all my printing and copying and internet use at the library, or go to Staples or Office Max. I do have all the things I need, and I can pay $150+ a year for tests.

I'm guessing there are many people who have only 1 car, which the husband uses to work, and do not have extra money to run around town and do all those things. Should they not be allowed to homeschool? I think it is an unfair burden.

Wow. Here in Florida you can get a teacher to do an evaluation for $30. Or do a test of your choice administered by a teacher (no clue on what a teacher would charge), or have your child take one of the same tests as the public school students, at the school, for free. 

You get the form mailed to you each year, or you can write up a letter to have the teacher sign. No need to print anything. You can drop off the form/letter at the district office, or mail it (regular mail, if you want a response you include a self addressed stamped envelope), or email. 

So $30 for the evaluation, and then the cost of a stamp or two. Or the cost to drive there. or the ability to scan and email it. 

Well...but with a private school you have the parents and the teachers agreeing the kids are making progress. So that's two different people. With homeschooling there is just the parent. No second person, no checks/balances. 

I think the sense is different even so. There is a really different sense of "outside people" when you are talking about a parent and a school. I wouldn't say at all that it can never go wrong at a school, but there are many children, many parents, and many teachers, and the teachers and parents all are accountable to each other.

That's not so much the case with a child being taught by a parent - you could easily have a situation where the only one who sees what is going on academically is the one parent.

The FLDS ran their own private schools. Just because there is a group of people doesn’t necessarily protect children.

How many other problematic cult-like religious groups run their own private schools? I don’t know but I am positive that the number is greater than 0.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Well...but with a private school you have the parents and the teachers agreeing the kids are making progress. So that's two different people. With homeschooling there is just the parent. No second person, no checks/balances. 

There doesn't need to be checks and balances, not if that means involving the government, or being required by the government to involve another party of any kind.

• Like 2

If there are no requirements, why would you need to legally protect yourself? No one can legally claim you aren't doing a good enough job if there are no legal requirements. I don't understand this. Who is coming to knock on your door to investigate?

Your ex's lawyer.

I spent all last year trying to find someone to evaluate my homeschool curriculum and apparently the only person in the state willing to do it is the person who had already charged me four grand for doing it and didn't.