Menu

Mayo on pizza? Is this a thing in the UK?

KarenNC

I was watching an English show, "Love, Lies, and Records," and it looked like they were putting mayo on their pizzas during dinner. There were also bottles of ketchup and maybe bbq sauce (didn't see the label) on the table. Is this a thing? The show is set in Leeds.

I've been known to put a little ranch or blue cheese dressing on a buffalo chicken pizza, but haven't heard of any of the above, so I was curious.

It's a common thing in Japan.

Their mayo is better than ours though.

I've tried the Kewpie mayo before, got it from the Asian market when I was trying to replicate toppings from Tokyo Dog. It is a bit of a different flavor. I like mayo quite a lot but the one we use (Duke's, a Southern brand) which doesn't include sugar like most US mayos.

Edited by KarenNC

I was watching an English show, "Love, Lies, and Records," and it looked like they were putting mayo on their pizzas during dinner. There were also bottles of ketchup and maybe bbq sauce (didn't see the label) on the table. Is this a thing? The show is set in Leeds.

I've been known to put a little ranch or blue cheese dressing on a buffalo chicken pizza, but haven't heard of any of the above, so I was curious.

I've not experienced that. Which episode? Some pizza comes with a garlic dip.https://www.dominos.co.uk/blog/dominos-big-dips/ Edited by Laura Corin

I haven't heard of mayo either but it doesn't really surprise me. I would say 90% of the pizza we eat has BBQ sauce instead of pizza sauce because pizza sauce is really boring.  But we've also used alfredo sauce, ranch dressing, pesto sauce, honey mustard, teriyaki sauce and other sauces that suit our fancy (we make our own pizzas so it's easy to play around with them) so mayo seems doable too.  

• Like 1

I've not experienced that. Which episode? Some pizza comes with a garlic dip.https://www.dominos.co.uk/blog/dominos-big-dips/

We get the little tubs of garlic dip with pizza as well, but this is different. Episode 3, at about the 53:30 mark. It's definitely retail bottles of mayo, ketchup, and something else, the kind with squeeze caps that stand up on the caps, put on top of takeout pizza.

Edited by KarenNC

It’s also normal in Russia and other post-Soviet countries. Mayo instead of tomato sauce. It’s not really my thing.

Interesting. This was on top of takeout pizza that already had tomato sauce.

I've done white sauce, garlic sauce, and pesto (basil or sundried tomato) as alternatives to tomato sauce, though we also like tomato sauce.

People put ranch on just about anything with a carb in it here.

We only eat homemade ranch b/c the store bought is gross, gummy stuff. But we do like it on french fries!

Edited for spelling. My old eyes can't see the phone screen well.

Edited by ScoutTN

Here is the menu for Domino's Pizza in Belgium.  https://www.dominos.be/fr/menu. I don't actually see any corn.

Their "American" is just pepperoni & cheese. But a lot of their pizzas use creme fraiche (kinda like sour cream) for the sauce. Look at the Cheeseburger pizza - it has pickles! They also have tuna and shrimp pizzas. Blech.

The goat cheese & bacon pizza is pretty good. It has honey, which is interesting.

We get the little tubs of garlic dip with pizza as well, but this is different. Episode 3, at about the 53:30 mark. It's definitely retail bottles of mayo, ketchup, and something else, the kind with squeeze caps that stand up on the caps, put on top of takeout pizza.

I had a look.  You're right that they are eating pizza with mayo.  I've not seen it personally though.

I've heard that in the UK they put corn on their pizza and call it American, but I've never confirmed this.

It's possible.  I looked at Domino's and the veggie pizza had corn, but the 'Americano' didn't: 

Americano

BBQ sauce, pepperoni, chicken, red onions, herbs. 221kcal / large slice / classic crust.

One thing that I thought was incredibly weird was this Calzone I had at a pizza place in Paris.   It had eggs on the list for what I ordered.   I thought for certain that they were just referring to how some people brush a tiny bit of egg on a crust to make it shiny and pretty.   Nope, scrambled eggs inside with tomato sauce and pepperoni and some other things.  
One thing that had amused me there is that they gave the English menu to my boyfriend who preferred French menus, and the menu in French to me the language dunce.  

I had a pizza in Sochi Russia in 1994 that made me pretty sure that the people there had seen pictures of pizza but not actually eaten it before making it ... things like shaved carrots instead of cheese and strange sauces. I was s9 heartbrokenly disappointed. Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Mayo belongs on fries, not pizza.

I've heard that in the UK they put corn on their pizza and call it American, but I've never confirmed this.

I don't know about the UK, but in NL, it's not as simple as putting corn on it and calling it American... however, there's a a pizza brand called Big Americans, and some of their pizzas feature corn, e.g.:

https://static.ahold.com/cmgtcontent/media//001225200/000/001225268_002_115964_708.jpg

Also, peanut or satay sauce belongs on fries as well. 

Edited by luuknam

Oh, wow, you're right it is mayo and there's a bottle of ketchup and BBQ too. It looks like though that they're putting it on the plate not directly on the pizza. As for Ranch, we make our own with Kroger ranch dip mixes (tastes like the more $$ hidden valley buttermilk mix) and we dip our pizza crusts in it although I've been know to dip all my pizza in it.  It tastes nothing like the nasty oily store bought stuff. I use 1/3 mayo to 2/3 sour cream and then I thin it out with milk.

1.  I have never eaten mayo on a pizza but having discovered that I actually DO like to sometimes dip my pizza in Ranch dressing (which I normally do not particularly like at all) I think I can get past my initial revulsion and try it. 

2.  Full disclosure, I love mayonnaise but only Kraft.  DH hates mayonnaise but likes Miracle Whip.  We buy both to keep the peace.  Now I'm wondering if DH would be willing to eat pizza with Miracle Whip.  LOL.

3.  Yes I am in Texas and yes many of us Texans apparently do tend to dip carby things in Ranch dressing.

Mayo belongs on fries, not pizza.

I don't know about the UK, but in NL, it's not as simple as putting corn on it and calling it American... however, there's a a pizza brand called Big Americans, and some of their pizzas feature corn, e.g.:

https://static.ahold.com/cmgtcontent/media//001225200/000/001225268_002_115964_708.jpg

Also, peanut or satay sauce belongs on fries as well. 

My initial reaction to mayo on fries was that it would be very odd, but then I remembered that I like to dip my fries in tartar sauce if we're at a fish camp. Since that's primarily mayo with chopped dill pickle and a few seasonings, I imagine just mayo would be fine.

I love peanut sauce but have never tried it on fries since they don't tend to be around at the same time here. Tzatziki is also really good on fries (or mixed with rice).

As to the corn on pizza, never seen it here. We have some varieties of Dr. Oetker's pizzas here, but not the Big Americans line of them, at least not that I've seen.

If at all possible, I try to only do Duke's mayo, which has a bit of a different taste as it's made with no sugar. In our house, Miracle Whip is not food.;)

My initial reaction to mayo on fries was that it would be very odd, but then I remembered that I like to dip my fries in tartar sauce if we're at a fish camp. Since that's primarily mayo with chopped dill pickle and a few seasonings, I imagine just mayo would be fine.

I love peanut sauce but have never tried it on fries since they don't tend to be around at the same time here. Tzatziki is also really good on fries (or mixed with rice).

As to the corn on pizza, never seen it here. We have some varieties of Dr. Oetker's pizzas here, but not the Big Americans line of them, at least not that I've seen.

If at all possible, I try to only do Duke's mayo, which has a bit of a different taste as it's made with no sugar. In our house, Miracle Whip is not food. ;)

I don't remember when I started dipping fries in mayo but it definitely goes back at least 20 or 30 years.  I've always hated ketchup but fries are kinda dry on their own and at some point mayo was what was available.  Since then I've learned my preferred dipping sauce for fries is BBQ and mayo mixed together. It's really very tasty!

I don't remember when I started dipping fries in mayo but it definitely goes back at least 20 or 30 years.  I've always hated ketchup but fries are kinda dry on their own and at some point mayo was what was available.  Since then I've learned my preferred dipping sauce for fries is BBQ and mayo mixed together. It's really very tasty!

That's my favorite too!

While I can believe people would put mayo on pizza it's not common in the UK. I've never seen it done. Also, at least where I live, mayo is referred to as salad cream. Whatever people call it I can't stand the stuff and would certainty have noticed if people were putting it on pizza.

Corn on pizza was big in the 90's in the UK. It's not common now. Occasionally someone will special order it on but normally a vegetarian pizza doesn't come with. A friend likes it. I've tried it and it isn't bad, just sort of moist.

?

People who have access to REAL pizza don’t need to do such terrible things to it!!!

A good friend (very British guy for his personality) has pointed out to me on numerous occasions American pizza is not really pizza. Italian pizza is pizza, nice proper thin crust. His daughter is dc's best friend and last summer the gang tried pretty much every version of American pizza dh could find to bring in. Stuffed crust, thin crust, meat lover's etc from multiple places etc. at their weekly game night. I think we disturbed him with our odd (to him) versions from Dominos, Pizza Hut, and Papa John's. One of them gives a ranch based garlic sauce in the UK. The last time we had it in the US it was a garlic butter. Other then that the same as far as we could tell. We once had an incredible Cajun pizza in France from Domino's. Edited by mumto2

? A good friend (very British guy for his personality) has pointed out to me on numerous occasions American pizza is not really pizza. Italian pizza is pizza, nice proper thin crust. His daughter is dc's best friend and last summer the gang tried pretty much every version of American pizza dh could find to bring in. Stuffed crust, thin crust, meat lover's etc from multiple places etc. at their weekly game night. I think we disturbed him with our odd (to him) versions from Dominos, Pizza Hut, and Papa John's. One of them gives a ranch based garlic sauce in the UK. The last time we had it in the US it was a garlic butter. Other then that the same as far as we could tell. We once had an incredible Cajun pizza in France from Domino's.

Italy does, of course, have THE definitive pizzas, but not all of the US is Dominos and Pizza Hut.  New York and New Jersey know how to make actual pizza, and there are scattered pizzerias in other places.  I have a couple of places in PA that are passable.  Of course we pay out the nose for it, lol.

• Like 4

Italy does, of course, have THE definitive pizzas, but not all of the US is Dominos and Pizza Hut.  New York and New Jersey know how to make actual pizza, and there are scattered pizzerias in other places.  I have a couple of places in PA that are passable.  Of course we pay out the nose for it, lol.

Even NY and NJ pizza isn't really Italian pizza but it's the ONLY kind of delicious American pizza worth having (sorry Chicago, that's not pizza you make there ;) ). If you want good pizza here in Florida you seek out a place that advertises either NY or NJ style. Anything else will just be no different from Pizza Hut/Dominoes/Papa John's. Of course the very best pizzerias are the ones run by transplants from one of those two states. :D

While I can believe people would put mayo on pizza it's not common in the UK. I've never seen it done. Also, at least where I live, mayo is referred to as salad cream. Whatever people call it I can't stand the stuff and would certainty have noticed if people were putting it on pizza.

This may be regional, but usually mayo and salad cream look similar but taste different. Mayo is similar to the US version, but salad cream has both vinegar and sugar added. I don't eat salad cream. Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

This may be regional, but usually mayo and salad cream look similar but taste different. Mayo is similar to the US version, but salad cream has both vinegar and sugar added. I don't eat salad cream.

I think salad cream is what we call slaw dressing...marzettis makes it here. 

This may be regional, but usually mayo and salad cream look similar but taste different. Mayo is similar to the US version, but salad cream has both vinegar and sugar added. I don't eat salad cream.

Since my family doesn't eat either I have no idea. People usually bring out the squeeze bottle and I stay far away! Never seen a traditional jar brought out. Ever. Didn't know they even sold it that way.

Since my family doesn't eat either I have no idea. People usually bring out the squeeze bottle and I stay far away! Never seen a traditional jar brought out. Ever. Didn't know they even sold it that way.

Here you go

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/254884595

Vs

https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/288515780

Lots of vinegar.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 1

A good friend (very British guy for his personality) has pointed out to me on numerous occasions American pizza is not really pizza. Italian pizza is pizza, nice proper thin crust.

American Pizza is pizza. It's American Pizza. It's not the same as Italian Pizza, but it's still pizza, in the same way that American English is still English even though it is different from British English.

If we're going to be pointlessly nitpicky in this silly way, I might as well say that nothing with tomatoes is "really" Italian because tomatoes are a New World plant, and nothing with pasta is Italian either because those come from Asia. It's ridiculous!

Americans do not try and fail to make Italian Pizza properly. We make American Pizza correctly. (At least, we do in NYC. Can't speak for the big chains, though.)

Edited by Tanaqui
  • Like 3

Even NY and NJ pizza isn't really Italian pizza but it's the ONLY kind of delicious American pizza worth having (sorry Chicago, that's not pizza you make there ;) ). If you want good pizza here in Florida you seek out a place that advertises either NY or NJ style. Anything else will just be no different from Pizza Hut/Dominoes/Papa John's. Of course the very best pizzerias are the ones run by transplants from one of those two states. :D

You are right about NY and NJ pizza not being Italian pizzas.   But NY/NJ pizzas are just a different style of pizza.  Although I have been told adamantly that NY and NJ pizzas are NOT the same.   I've never been to NJ, so I can't say.     Chicago has its own style.  Deep dish is another style.  There are other styles that I don't know the name of.  That is sad that your choices are limited to NY/NJ and crap.   I wasn't impressed with NYC pizza.  I'd eat it if was put in front of me, but I wouldn't cross the street to buy some.  I ate a lot of pizza in Italy and you really can't compare.  Even Naples pizza was noticeably better than Florence pizza.  

Many years ago I used to buy pizza slices from the local pizza place that had two locations, both in food courts.   It was surprisingly good.  The one in the Walmart food court was slightly better than the other one.   (weird, I know).   I asked about it once.  The person I talked to was flummoxed because they used the same ingredients, same procedure.   Then she remembered the Cheese Size dispute.    Both grated their own cheese, but the size of the grated cheese was different.  

• Like 1

You are right about NY and NJ pizza not being Italian pizzas. But NY/NJ pizzas are just a different style of pizza. Although I have been told adamantly that NY and NJ pizzas are NOT the same. I've never been to NJ, so I can't say. Chicago has its own style. Deep dish is another style. There are other styles that I don't know the name of. That is sad that your choices are limited to NY/NJ and crap. I wasn't impressed with NYC pizza. I'd eat it if was put in front of me, but I wouldn't cross the street to buy some. I ate a lot of pizza in Italy and you really can't compare. Even Naples pizza was noticeably better than Florence pizza.

Many years ago I used to buy pizza slices from the local pizza place that had two locations, both in food courts. It was surprisingly good. The one in the Walmart food court was slightly better than the other one. (weird, I know). I asked about it once. The person I talked to was flummoxed because they used the same ingredients, same procedure. Then she remembered the Cheese Size dispute. Both grated their own cheese, but the size of the grated cheese was different.

There are pizzerias that have NYC municipal water shipped in to use. No lie!

• Like 1

I had no idea some Mayo had so much sugar.   I guess that explains why I prefer some over others.  I just looked up what I've been using lately, Trader Joes Mayo and it has zero carbs.   

I'll be making my own from now on.   I was gifted a Magic Bullet at work and I have chickens, and I like Mayo.  Not on Pizza though.  

I had no idea some Mayo had so much sugar.   I guess that explains why I prefer some over others.  I just looked up what I've been using lately, Trader Joes Mayo and it has zero carbs.   

I'll be making my own from now on.   I was gifted a Magic Bullet at work and I have chickens, and I like Mayo.  Not on Pizza though.  

That salad cream stuff isn't really mayo...it's similar to Marzettis Slaw Dressing. Mayo plus sugar plus vinegar. 

Most rgular mayo, even if the ingredients list sugar, have so little that there are zero grams of sugar per serving. I know hellmans has less sugar than salt, for instance, and zero carbs/zero sugar per serving. 

• Like 2

That salad cream stuff isn't really mayo...it's similar to Marzettis Slaw Dressing. Mayo plus sugar plus vinegar. 

Most rgular mayo, even if the ingredients list sugar, have so little that there are zero grams of sugar per serving. I know hellmans has less sugar than salt, for instance, and zero carbs/zero sugar per serving. 

You can definitely taste the difference between mayo made with sugar and without. My dad didn't believe my sister and I could taste the difference so did a blind taste test with us once. We had no difficulty knowing which was which. I may have to try the Trader Joe's mayo to see how it compares to my standard Duke's. The ingredient list looks similar, with lemon, which I like, and neither one uses any sugar.

As to slaw, can't stand slaw dressing either. I make my slaw with the no sugar mayo, vinegar, salt, and pepper. Odd, since I have a big sweet tooth, but this is how my mother made it. My stepmother, on the other hand, used to add artificial sweetener to everything, including commercial thousand island dressing, which already has a lot of sugar in it.

Edited by KarenNC