Menu

How close is your home to violent/semi-violent crime?

How close is your home to violent/semi-violent crime?  

1. 1. How close is your home to violent/semi-violent crime?

• Pretty much right outside my door
    • Less than 1/2 a mile
    • 1/2 mile to a mile
    • 1-5 miles
    • 5-10 miles
    • More than 10 miles
    • Obligitory other

...and how do you feel about that?

I'm thinking bank robberies, armed muggings, carjackings ... and of course homicides, etc. Feel free to elaborate in the comments.

It seems to be creeping ever closer here, and my little sensitive heart is not happy about that. We live in the suburbs of a small but major city.

Just wondering what others are dealing with. I need ammo (whoops, pun not intended :lol:) to show dh that I'm not crazy for NOT liking the creeping crime. He's just happy that we are not living where he grew up, which is now worse than where we currently live. :glare:

Sorry for a downer post. I'll think of a happy poll later, like what's your favorite furry forest creature. :lol:

ETA: obligAtory. Sorry. :)

Edited by amyable

I said 1-5 miles for violent crime, but a couple of months ago they found a murder victim closer than that. I don't think he was killed there, so I said 1-5 miles.

Violent crime (as in stranger crime) isn't bad - there is a TON of property crimes, drug crimes, and domestic/child abuse crimes in my trailer park (at least according to our social worker and police officer friends), but I haven't heard much more than that.

Until we moved almost 3 years ago, it was close to crime. As a matter of fact, the night before we moved the SWAT team was on our street looking for a guy who'd shot at a police officer. There were several other incidents in the 7 years we lived there, too. And just this morning I saw on the news that there was a meth lab bust and a stabbing within about 1-2 miles of our old home. We decided to move when a neighbor threatened to kick dh's "f'n a**" when dh asked him to stop his dogs from barking almost constantly.

Where we live now is relatively safe (it's a quiet neighborhood with no through traffic).

My favorite furry forest creature is the fox. Cute, but not likely to kill me (like a bear or mountain lion) :lol:.

Guess I should answer my own poll...

Right now the closest that I know of was a knife wielding mugging at the local high school, which is about .2 miles away. I think *that* was an isolated incident though, as I was told it was student to student, and they knew each other. However, there have been holdups in broad daylight at the local grocery store and gas stations (~ 1 mile), bank robberies (about the same), and car jackings (~1-2 miles). The latest (which prompted this poll) was an elderly lady who was shot during a car jacking (maybe 4 miles away). :(

I said more than ten miles, but actually, it's even farther than that. We've had a couple of murders in the ten years we've been here, but with one notable exception, they were family/insurance money things. We don't have any of that senseless stuff you're talking about, even in the "big city" of about 20,000 people, which is about 35 miles away. Mostly, we have meth labs.

I live in a rural area. I think there's been one murder here in the last 5 years and that was a domestic situation.

We've been plagued with small-time burglaries, even in our own neighborhood (folks breaking into unlocked cars in the middle of the night looking for money and other valuables), but nothing "violent".

No holdups, carjackings, anything of that nature.

I voted 5-10 miles. I think most of the violent crime in our city is drug related. There was an incident in the last few weeks of very violent car jackings. They even told people that if you were rearended you could drive to nearest police station and not to get out of your car at the scene. They have now caught both parties involved.

According to my police officer friend, we live in THE WORST neighborhood in our city. Most of the crime we deal with regularly is not violent though.

In the 10 years, we've lived here...

We've had our car broken into twice.

Had two drunk drivers hit our cars and run.

Had things stolen from our porch.

Our neighbor's house was broken into.

Our other neighbor's garage was broken into.

Another neighbor, and older lady, was pushed down and had her purse stolen.

I saw a drive-by shooting.

The house across the street was shut down as a meth lab.

We reported the people two houses over for suspected drug dealing.

Another house was recently boarded up; we think it was a drug house.

We have regular speed related accidents on our block.

Our grocery store's parking lot is known for drug dealing.

Our local elementary is a known for alcohol and drug dealing after hours.

We had a young girl kidnapped and murdered less than a mile away.

We have no less than 3 level 3 sex offenders living within a mile of us.

And that's just what I know about.

I HATE HATE HATE living here but we are stuck. Our house needs repairs and we can't afford to fix it right now or sell it and lose money (do to the housing crisis). So, I hover over my kids instead and hammer safety into their heads.

Edited to add: I forgot, there was a murder two blocks away recently.

I voted "right outside my door" because I know there's no line drawn. Crime in my area is rated very, very low compared to the national average, but I don't live on an island. We have all of the crime everyone else does, just less often.

BTW, our cars were robbed right in our driveway a few weeks ago. I live in a gated community. There really *are* no barriers, and I have no way of knowing what my neighbors are capable of.

My immediate neighborhood is relatively safe, however, we have a very high crime area across the major street at the end of the block, and a very high income area across the intersection the other way. We have been robbed, our house was broken into last Thanksgiving and everything was stolen. Violent crime seems to stay across the street though.

Technically, we live in a great neighborhood. We have 16 police officers and many bring their cars home.

However, a 5 year old girl was abducted out of her front yard, se*ually assaulted and left naked on the road that you turn into our neighborhood from.

So, I try to remember not to be too comfortable.

I voted "right outside my door" because I know there's no line drawn. Crime in my area is rated very, very low compared to the national average, but I don't live on an island. We have all of the crime everyone else does, just less often.

BTW, our cars were robbed right in our driveway a few weeks ago. I live in a gated community. There really *are* no barriers, and I have no way of knowing what my neighbors are capable of.

:iagree: Same here. We moved out of the city to get away from the crime, but the past year or two our crime has increased--so many people moved here that it's just an extension of the city.

I'd like to move, but that's not going to happen anytime soon. Our neighborhood has a Crime Watch Organization which our local police have said does cut back on some of the crime. I'm surprised at the number of daytime home burglaries, and being home during the day, it does worry me.

Crime is creeping out here, too. We are 5 miles out of town and our neighborhood seemed/seems pretty safe, but our barn and a car have been broken into and items taken. We know that at least one neighbor has a drug habit and stolen property....the police have been there for domestic violence, a robbery and a threatened suicide. Our neighbors aren't the gossipping kind and we didn't know about this until recently. Our 20 year-old son was doing occasional work like unloading firewood and painting for them and a kind neighbor thought they should warn me. Yikes! In town there are robberies, assaults, rapes, recent gang activity. This was a quiet rural area when we moved here in 1991. Drugs account for much of the crime. The local schools turn out a poor product and it seems that things will only get worse.

We think Moose are amazing animals :)

Well, there was a murder-via-serial-killer in the room I'm sitting in right now (my bedroom). It was even featured on Forensic Files. Do I win? ;)

Other than that, we're about 10 miles outside of a town that has a couple of murders every few years. No carjackings, bank robbings, or muggings that I'm aware of, though there was a purse snatching at Wal-Mart the other day.

Drug use is very high in my neighborhood, though, and meth labs are broken up in the immediate vicinity on a fairly regular basis.

We live in a fairly quite neighborhood. Lots of old peoples, more so now that the snow birds are flying in.

I say fairly because last night there were 5 cops cars outside the neighbors house. They towed a car away. We have not seen any people at the house for about a week.

Close.. but most near here is gang violence, so it tends to be gang-on-gang. We have had home invasions, robberies, and car jackings, but those tend to be in the nicer/upscale subdivisions. I've found it often funny that we have more crime up here in the burbs, than does my brother in his old in-town neighborhood off I-20. Atlanta crime often does not fit the typical M.O. That said, it is much safer than it was in the late 70's and early 80's.

Edited by Jenny in Atl
SPELLING! Death by a thousand typos...

Well, there was a murder-via-serial-killer in the room I'm sitting in right now (my bedroom). It was even featured on Forensic Files. Do I win? ;)

Other than that, we're about 10 miles outside of a town that has a couple of murders every few years. No carjackings, bank robbings, or muggings that I'm aware of, though there was a purse snatching at Wal-Mart the other day.

Drug use is very high in my neighborhood, though, and meth labs are broken up in the immediate vicinity on a fairly regular basis.

Do you own or rent? I find this fascinating. I've always wondered if I could live in a house with a murder. Did you know about it before you moved in?

We live in a neighborhood that has crime issues. Where I live are mostly blue collar families with a small percentage of lowlifes sprinkled in. Four blocks east of me is considered to be a high-crime neighborhood.

Yes, the crime bothers me. A good friend of mine was robbed at gunpoint two months ago. Last night dh and I were walking home at about 9pm and were stopped by a cop, who warned us that there had been an armed robbery earlier and the suspect was still at large. I have often called the cops for fighting and for drunkenness, and their response has been monumentally apathetic.

If crime is creeping in to your neighborhood, DO NOT ACCEPT THIS. Neglect breeds more crime. Call the cops each. and. every. time. If they do not respond, call repeatedly. Get some friends in the neighborhood to call as well. Be that squeaky wheel--you can do so anonymously for most things. You should also call your local government offices and complain.

If the perpetrators have to scatter and hide from the cops enough times, or if they are caught, they will move on and find a new, different place to create trouble, and you will have your peaceful neighborhood back. All of us need to work together to create places where crime is not tolerated.

That is my biggest complaint about where I live. Were it not for the horrendous crime rate here (and the poverty from which it stems) this could be one of the best places to live in the whole US.

Within my suburban neighborhood, which is one of the most desirable parts of town, we've had:

- cars stolen from driveways at 5 - 6am

- ALL of the houses around us have been robbed at one point or another, when the owners weren't home. I think our courtyard wall and gate (which would slow down the loading of our belongings into their vehicle) and our four obnoxious barking dogs are the only things that have saved us.

- a fugitive hiding on the roof (flat roofs here) of the house directly across the street from us at 3am, with helicopters circling and police officers finally surrounding and arresting him (don't know where he committed the crime, but he ended up here, which is bad enough!)

- had our dining room windows shot out the first night in the house which was a hearty welcome to the neighborhood. It was just a pellet gun, so it wasn't intended to harm anyone, just to be an annoyance, but it still scared the you-know-what out of me!

But I picked 1 - 5 miles since it is a little further away that the truly violent crimes happen. Armed robberies, drug related shootings, etc. When my dd was just a baby I took her to the mall; walked in the front door and people were yelling and running around and there was a trail of blood on the floor. A security guard had just been shot in an effort to stop a robbery of one of the ATMs, mere moments before we walked in (thankfully he survived!). Before I decided to homeschool I had my dd in a private preschool in an even "better" part of town than where I live. Went to pick her up one day and found the building in lockdown because there had been an armed robbery and fatal shooting nearby, and the guy was still on the loose. There's a really great used book store here that has a huge education/homeschooling section. I was there with a friend one day, and as we were checking out she asked the employee "were you the one who was shot?" I hadn't heard about it but the poor guy said yes and pointed to the place where he had taken a bullet a few weeks before during an armed robbery, and told us that getting shot hurts a lot more than you might think (I thought it would be pretty bleeping painful!)

There are parts of the city that we simply don't go to. Ever. For any reason. Any time of day. I'm sure that's true in a lot of cities, but it's pretty huge sections of this one!

It really is a shame because this place has arguably the best climate and most beautiful landscapes of any place in North America. Such a waste.

Do you own or rent? I find this fascinating. I've always wondered if I could live in a house with a murder. Did you know about it before you moved in?

We own. The law says we were supposed to be informed, but the little box on the paperwork is checked 'no' where the previous owners were asked if they were aware of any deaths by unnatural causes. (I don't know if they were being truthful or not. It happened in 1987 and we bought the house in 2005.)

We found out exactly three weeks after we moved in, when the crew from Forensic Files showed up and informed us that they would be filming from across the street.

There's also a book about it. I checked it out of the library, but got a little bit weirded out as I sat in my dining room and read things like "after he did such-and-such, he walked through the kitchen and into the dining room and did such-and-such".

We aren't thrilled about it -- but it's the same house we were thrilled to buy before we knew about it, so here we stay. Being honest people, though, I can't imagine that we'll ever be able to sell it (unless it's to some weirdo who actually finds it a reason to buy it!).

Edited by Lorna in the boonies
deleting identifying information

We own. The law says we were supposed to be informed, but the little box on the paperwork is checked 'no' where the previous owners were asked if they were aware of any deaths by unnatural causes. (I don't know if they were being truthful or not. It happened in 1987 and we bought the house in 2005.)

We found out exactly three weeks after we moved in, when the crew from Forensic Files showed up and informed us that they would be filming from across the street.

There's also a book about it. I checked it out of the library, but got a little bit weirded out as I sat in my dining room and read things like "after he did such-and-such, he walked through the kitchen and into the dining room and did such-and-such".

We aren't thrilled about it -- but it's the same house we were thrilled to buy before we knew about it, so here we stay. Being honest people, though, I can't imagine that we'll ever be able to sell it (unless it's to some weirdo who actually finds it a reason to buy it!).

Did you atleast get a good deal on the house? :grouphug:

According to my police officer friend, we live in THE WORST neighborhood in our city. Most of the crime we deal with regularly is not violent though.

I HATE HATE HATE living here but we are stuck. Our house needs repairs and we can't afford to fix it right now or sell it and lose money (do to the housing crisis). So, I hover over my kids instead and hammer safety into their heads.

:eek:

It was when we lived in Tacoma that I decided to homeschool. My oldest was just turning 5 and my dh was balking at the price of private school. I called the principle of our local school to ask about the safety, education, etc. She was very offended that I'd even ask her these questions and responded rudely. I swear I was being respectful and nice. I was really taken aback at how she responded, like her authority was never, ever to be questioned.

We tried homeschooling that summer as an experiment.... and never looked back. They've had murders on the school grounds after hours since then. My old neighborhood has really gone downhill. So sad.

Wow -- just -- WOW! That would creep me out big time -- I don't know if I could do it and I love those shows!

After we bought our house -- when I was a kid -- I was told by the neighbor kids that someone died in my bedroom, but it was supposed to be a heart attack or something like that. Natural causes, anyway. And I'm not even sure it was true or just something they made up to try to scare me, which it didn't.

(Is it tacky to ask you the title of the book?)

Our immediate neighborhood is such that it's fine for younger children and adults, but a major hazard for pre-teens and teens. Gangs, bullies, teen con-artists and other types abound.

Unfortunately my dh is oblivious to this and the dangers for a social child who tends to be a follower. Luckily our ds runs with a basically good group of kids, though he has met a few of the trouble makers. I want to move, but my dh doesn't because the public transportation is so good near our house.

Does a scene from Bandits qualify? Because we just had that happen very close to us! From reading the rest of these responses, though, we live in a very safe neighborhood. Like Carrie said, there's no line - crime can happen anywhere anytime. My brother just relocated here from out of state, though, and they chose to live two cities over from us (we suggested he not move there) and in the last month, they've had a drive by shooting 2 houses down from them, a rape, kidnapping and multiple homicides. Scary world.

We live on the side of a small mountain in semi rural NH. This morning I looked out my window and saw a 1200+ pound bull moose about 60 feet away from the house. We watched it for about 1/2 an hour...until it walked further up the mountain and out of site.....

That is what we see out of our window...Violent crime is about 35 miles away (generally...you never know when some old lady might go beserk and shoot her husband of 60 years or something).

I voted half a mile. We live on the very outskirts of the cbd (er, downtown is the right word?) of a country city. It doesn't bother me at all because we aren't in the habit of wandering around when the nightclubs are closing. That's when nearly all of that sort of stuff happens. The worst we actually get ourselves is the drunks loudly walking home or sitting under the street light outside our place; oh and the occasional mug who steals our bin.

Rosie

I voted more than ten miles. Our town has about one violent crime every year (or less). It shocks the whole community when it does happen.

I have lived in a violent dangerous area and I know how it feels to be concerned about your safety. But once I moved from that location I quickly forgot it. Perhaps it is self preservation but I like feeling safe in my home and I would not trade that for any large salary dh could make or for any special features of a metropolis, with our young kids it is just *not* worth it.

There has been a heightened violence lately here. Jobs are almost impossible to get or to hold, money is non-exsistent, prices have almost doubled on everything (eventhough we were already more than the US on a lot of things), and people are getting super desperate with the holidays around the corner.

We are being extremely cautious when out and about.

The little town about five miles west of us is an armpit. Full of thieves of all ages organized into different groups. A meth house there exploded, killing two local kids that were asleep upstairs. I surprised some thieves once when I came home from grocery shopping, they were up in our barn.

Our children hid in the house once with all the doors locked, broad daylight and watched some men go through all our out buildings. Dh and I were just down the road too, barely a mile away.

We've been threatened twice by people that wanted to live in one of our ranch houses and we refused them. Once just a beating was threatened, but once dh's life.

(If you don't let me live in your house I'll kill you..............wouldn't you just love someone like that living on your property? You gotta laugh.)

Y'all are scaring me! The worst I've experienced here is one of our bicycles being stolen off our front porch. Grrr!

We live 5 1/2 miles out of a larger city (50,000) and we feel safe here. Our little city is a bedroom community and probably has less than 2,000 people. My kids run around the neighborhood but with walkie talkies on. I love Halloween here, because I know so many of the kids that come to my door.

We lived in the city for 3 years and while we were gone I heard a rumor that they closed a meth house here. Hard to imagine but probably true.

It showed ten crimes of violence per year. They are not broken down, however, so I don't know if they are domestic violence, drunken incidents (lots of students there), or the kind of thing that would actually affect us. I took a bus back from the bus station last night (after 10pm), and felt quite safe.

Laura

Our neighborhood has a hard drug problem. There is a sex offender on our block. Three streets over is a 1st degree rapist. A few houses have been robbed and one house had a drive-by a few years ago. The drug houses periodically have showcased very young looking prostitutes - that turned my stomach. Lately, we've seen people driving into the subdivision stopping, getting out of the car, and then smashing a mail box. Apparently, this is one way to mark your gang's territory.

We call the police EVERY TIME we see this stuff. The police are less than thrilled to come yet again. But it has made a difference.

But, honestly, we hope to sell our house before our kids are teenagers and move to the country where we only have to worry about raccoons.

Oh, I forgot to mention all the unsupervised young children running around in this environment...

We live rurally and have been lucky that there has been no violent crime (only theft) in our direct area, but in the last week an elderly woman was killed in her house in town 15km (about 10 miles) away and another was indecently assaulted.

There is a moratorium on the publishing on crime statistics - the government doesn't want the bad PR - so these are incidents I know of personally. The death was in the paper, the assault not.

We are always very vigilant for highjacking, theft, etc and lock ourselves into our homes behind security gates and burglar bars at night.

My parents still tell the story of the bank robber that was chased through their yard, dropping cash all over the lawn... lol But there was also plenty of violent crime that didn't make for entertaining stories. At the time, when I was living there, it didn't really seem so bad... but either because I have an adult perspective now or because I've been away for so long, it seriously creeps me out when I'm back there visiting.

Where we live now is waaaay on the other side of the spectrum. Not that there isn't crime at all, but not all of our neighbors even lock their doors. Our shed is basically a big ugly tin can with no locks and a door that doesn't even close all the way, but it has held our bikes and our lawnmower and various tools for a good four years straight without anyone bothering them. We're several miles from town, where there's a bit more crime, but still mostly property crime rather than violent, with a few exceptions. When I first moved here they were still talking about a murder that had happened ten years previous.

If we move again, I've gotten accustomed to not really having to worry about violent crime, and that would rank right up at the top of my priorities. Property crime doesn't bother me too much though. It's inconvenient, but not terrifying.

We live in Hobbitville. There was a murder two years ago but it was the first one in years. There has been a lot of people moving into the area and growth and there is more crime coming with it. The area was voted "One of the best places to live" by Money Mag a couple of years ago and according to one local a lot of riff-raff moved in after that.

We have theft in our area so I hear, but nothing has ever been taken from our yard even though the kids leave their toys out all the time. We have been here 8 years. There was one hostage situation, but that was a domestic issue about a mile or so from us. There have not been any murders in this community that I know of, and surely that would have made the news in our sleepy town.

I voted for further than 10 miles, because about 15 miles away there is a town that usually has 2-3 murders a year and a couple of aggravated home invasions (or something like that).

Wendy - Mommy to 3 Munchkins

Kris, Elaine,

Either of you want to be my neighbor? There's a house for sale three over. The neighborhood IS getting better. How else would I know about half of these things...they are getting caught and new people come in. We have a neighborhood group too and have made the neighborhood a special zone where high octane malt drinks can't be sold. They are working on historical status now.

Kris, Elaine,

Either of you want to be my neighbor? There's a house for sale three over. The neighborhood IS getting better. How else would I know about half of these things...they are getting caught and new people come in. We have a neighborhood group too and have made the neighborhood a special zone where high octane malt drinks can't be sold. They are working on historical status now.

We live in the country, but in our nearest, albeit small, city, some of the local folks would die of thirst if malt liquor was outlawed. Sadly, one of these poor guys was found dead from chronic alcoholism recently.