Menu

Butter vs. margarine

Night Elf

Many years ago I switched from margarine (not light though) to butter because I found that it worked better.  I wouldn't use light margarine for baking because of what mamaraby said.  But it might work reasonably well for some things.  

• Like 1

Margarine is hydrogenated vegetable oil (of various kinds) and is terrible for you. Like Crisco.  :ack2:  :ack2:

Just use real butter, preferably made from the milk of cows that eat grass, not grain. Then enjoy your baked goods. If you need fewer calories, eat less of the baked goods or don't make them at all. Reducing wheat/grain and sugar is a quick way to reduce calories. 

• Like 12

I wouldn't, because it would have a different effect on your body.  When you eat something with fat, a signal is sent to your brain to tell you when you are sated.  When you replace the fat that your body is looking for, the signal is delayed.  You eat more to compensate.

At least, that's what happens with me.  I can happily eat 1 homemade Ghirardelli brownie and be fine, but would eat 3-4 of a packaged kind to get the same fulfillment.

• Like 3

Margarine is hydrogenated vegetable oil (of various kinds) and is terrible for you. Like Crisco.

*some* margarine may be hydrogenated vegetable oil, not all. I haven’t spent too much time reading labels lately because most of them have dairy in them, but based on those I have read, I suspect the number of even stick margarines that contain hydrogenated oils, either partially or fully, is pretty small these days. Most will be some combination of liquid vegetable oil mixed with palm oil. Palm oil is what makes it solid since it is solid at room temp, but not nearly as solid as coconut oil. So, not like Crisco.

I use light margarine for mashed potatoes and toast because I use so little I don't worry about not getting the fat. I've always used real butter for baking because I know it makes the goods taste better.

Yesterday I made almond crescent cookies. I was disappointed in them and they were high calorie too so figured it wasn't worth it and threw them out. I don't know what I'll bake next. I love cookies and cakes and prefer from scratch over mixes, but yes, I do wish they weren't so high calorie. 

FWIW, I'm not satiated by fat. I've gotten used to portions and know how much of something I can eat. I usually bake muffins which are low calorie but I was in the mood for cookies yesterday. Poor experiment.

"light" margarine has a higher percentage of water, and generally doesn't bake the same.   even regular margarine doens't bake the same as butter.

my daughter will tell you different brands of butter bake differently.  a friend's mother could tell by taste if butter had ever been left out - her family sold candy at the holidays.

o

A lot of times, you can swap out some of the butter in a recipe for applesauce, mashed banana, mashed pumpkin, or greek yogurt. I'd be more inclined to experiment with that than whipped margarine. 

Bonus: If it's fruit, I get to pretend it's healthy because I'm eating fruit, and if it's greek yogurt, I'm boosting the protein content ;)

• Like 2

Yeah the typical calorie reducing tactic is to add stuff like applesauce.  But this also does add more sugar which isn't so great.

I actually think margarine might work out.  Growing up that's all we used.  I don't like it and don't use it, but that wasn't your question.  So my suggestion is to just try it. 

Yeah the typical calorie reducing tactic is to add stuff like applesauce.  But this also does add more sugar which isn't so great.

I actually think margarine might work out.  Growing up that's all we used.  I don't like it and don't use it, but that wasn't your question.  So my suggestion is to just try it. 

Margarine works fine (other than tasting blehhh :) ), light/whipped margarine doesn't because it's fluffed out with stuff that doesn't bake like butter.

And just swapping out margarine doesn't reduce calories really.

With you on the sugar content. If I swap in fruit I tend to reduce the rest of the sugar a bit to compensate. 

• Like 1

I grew up using margarine in everything,  it's all I knew.  As I got older and more aware of what we ate, I switched to butter.  Now I can't eat margarine it's very artificially tasting to me.  A friend and me swapped cookies recipes.  But she uses a mixture of margarine and butter and I use straight butter.  My kids can taste the difference and they won't eat hers even though it's the same recipe because they don't like the margarine flavor.

That said if you are happy with the flavor of margarine it can be used.  Product texture might not be exactly the same but for most things it will be good enough.

Butter has a better molecular structure for cookies.  If you must swap out (as I have done for dairy-free purposes), personally I prefer to use olive oil and mostly/only in cookie recipes that call for oil rather than butter.  (I don't even like the earth's balance sticks in baking, but I'm picky!)  Fat reduction will change how they turn out.  Note that sugar reduction can also change the spread of the cookies, depending on the recipe.

More generally, I think lower-calorie in the context of cookies is not a useful goal.

I always use butter in baking, but I'm wondering what would happen to my baked goods if I used a light margarine to cut calories. Anyone know?

I would figure out a different way to cut calories, reduce the sugar if possible. Baking is chemistry so it can be difficult to figure out what changes you can make without compromising your results. I have had good luck replacing oil with applesauce in cakes though. I haven't played around with cookie recipes much.

It would alter the fat content and depending on the baked good make it impossible to even bake it.

My German grandmother's cookie recipes do not even work with the standard US supermarket butter because the water content of the American butter is too high; the dough does not stay together and cannot be rolled. I need to buy Irish butter which has more fat.

Also, hydrogenated vegetable oils (i.e most margarines) are unhealthy.

If you want to cut calories, simply eat fewer of the cookies instead of compromising on their quality.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 3

*some* margarine may be hydrogenated vegetable oil, not all. I haven’t spent too much time reading labels lately because most of them have dairy in them, but based on those I have read, I suspect the number of even stick margarines that contain hydrogenated oils, either partially or fully, is pretty small these days. Most will be some combination of liquid vegetable oil mixed with palm oil. Palm oil is what makes it solid since it is solid at room temp, but not nearly as solid as coconut oil. So, not like Crisco.

Some palm oil, you are right. I didn't know that. But still some hydrogenated oils and lots of other yucky stuff. Read labels and decide which is better food. Not a hard choice. 

Organic Valley Salted butter ingredients:

Pasteurized Organic Sweet Cream (Milk), Salt.

Land O Lakes Salted butter:

Sweet Cream, Salt.

Ingredients of Light Stick Parkay margarine:

• liquid soybean oil
  • partially hydrogenated soybean oil
  • water
  • whey
  • salt
  • potatoes
  • vegetable mono- and di- glycerides
  • soy lecithin
  • potassium sorbate
  • sodium benzoate
  • artificial flavor
  • phosphoric acid
  • vitamin A palmitate
  • beta carotene (color and source of vitamin A)

As cited on FoodServiceDirect.com web site.

Blue Bonnet tub margarine:

Ingredients:  WATER, SOYBEAN OIL, PALM OIL, PALM KERNEL OIL, SALT, LESS THAN 2% OF: EMULSIFIERS (MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, SOY LECITHIN, PROPYLENE GLYCOL MONOSTEARATE), PRESERVATIVES (SODIUM BENZOATE, POTASSIUM SORBATE, CALCIUM DISODIUM EDTA), WHEY, CITRIC ACID, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, BETA CAROTENE (COLOR). CONTAINS STATEMENT: MILK, SOY.

Source: CONAGRA FOODS
  • Like 2

Some palm oil, you are right. I didn't know that. But still some hydrogenated oils and lots of other yucky stuff. Read labels and decide which is better food. Not a hard choice. 

It isn't a hard choice for me to not use butter.  Saturated fats are associated with numerous health problems and inherently cruel to animals. 

http://dairy.mercyforanimals.org/

• Like 2

It would alter the fat content and depending on the baked good make it impossible to even bake it.

My German grandmother's cookie recipes do not even work with the standard US supermarket butter because the water content of the American butter is too high; the dough does not stay together and cannot be rolled. I need to buy Irish butter which has more fat.

Also, hydrogenated vegetable oils (i.e most margarines) are unhealthy.

If you want to cut calories, simply eat fewer of the cookies instead of compromising on their quality.

Oh, oh, oh! I don't suppose you have a recipe or two you could share? I have French butter all ready to go!

And a cooking scale too.

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

Oh, oh, oh! I don't suppose you have a recipe or two you could share? I have French butter all ready to go!

And a cooking scale too.

Butter cookies

250 g flour (sifted), 250 g wheat starch, pinch of baking powder, 250 g butter, 200 g sugar, grated zest of 1/2 lemon

Mix dry ingredient, add cold butter in pieces, knead in. Add two eggs. Knead dough until smooth, let rest in refrigerator for 4+ hours.

Roll out on floured surface, cut with cookie cutters, brush with egg wash, bake. Can be decorated.

Dough must remain cold; cut off portions for rolling and put remainder back in the fridge.

With American supermarket butter, the dough will not stay together and cannot be rolled out, but will crumble.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 5

I just read a few websites that say cream cheese (even the light one) works as a good butter sub in baking.

Cream cheese has a pronounced taste and not enough fat for a 1:1 substitution.

It may work in loaf cakes, but not in cookies. 

ETA: Cream cheese has 9g fat/28 g. Butter has 22g fat/28 g. You cannot substitute without altering the baking chemistry significantly, so you have to really know what you're doing for this to work.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

Butter cookies

250 g flour (sifted), 250 g wheat starch, pinch of baking powder, 250 g butter, 200 g sugar, grated zest of 1/2 lemon

Mix dry ingredient, add cold butter in pieces, knead in. Add two eggs. Knead dough until smooth, let rest in refrigerator for 4+ hours.

Roll out on floured surface, cut with cookie cutters, brush with egg wash, bake. Can be decorated.

Dough must remain cold; cut off portions for rolling and put remainder back in the fridge.

With American supermarket butter, the dough will not stay together and cannot be rolled out, but will crumble.

Thank you!

The only thing I don't have is wheat starch--is that readily available do you know? I have corn starch and tapioca starch on hand.

Edited by maize

And the palm oil industry is killing orangutans and is a major contributor to rapid deforestation.

This is true and I try to limit palm. There are some supposedly ethically sourced palm oil margarines on the market as well. 

I would hope too that everyone concerned about palm is also only buying ethically sourced cocoa and chocolate. Most of what's on the market is harvested by child labour. 

• Like 3

In our location, margarine is 1/3 the price of butter. We serve food with butter (toast, steamed veggies, etc.) but use margarine for baking. When it is just dh and I - and I probably won't need to bake much at that point at all - we may switch for health reasons, though I suppose any calorie reduction will be in reduced baking consumption, not from the baked goods' ingredients. :D

I'd not substitute margarine - it's not actually food.

Depending on the baked good, you can substitute a number of things, it can be worthwhile to experiment.  I like olive oil in cakes, or in muffins I will use some applesauce and reduce the sugar a little.  

• Like 2

I appreciate those of you suggesting I simply eat less. I already do. A serving size is one cookie. If I have them in the house I may have two a day, one in the mid morning and one in the evening.

I also eat pie and cake, but about 1.5 oz. of each is a serving size for me.

• Like 1

Organic Valley Salted butter ingredients:

Pasteurized Organic Sweet Cream (Milk), Salt.

Land O Lakes Salted butter:

Sweet Cream, Salt.

Ingredients of Light Stick Parkay margarine:

:snip:

There’s a lot of food judgment underpinning your comparison that I don’t share. The assumption here being that fewer ingredients is better and more “natural†is better. That isn’t an assumption that I share so while the butter seems a better choice given your presuppositions, it’s not for me. The same goes for statements that margarine isn’t really “food.†Yeah, it really is.

I don’t think that’s what the OP was looking for either. She was looking for real honest to goodness, practical can I do x and will it turn out the same. The answer is no because of the chemistry involved. And also, if a different texture/result is ok for you then maybe, sorta, kinda if you’re the adventuring sort.

But regardless of what one chooses, for me baking less often is preferable and I’ll stick with my non-hydrogenated margarine and limit that because of the palm oil issue. YMMV

We're vegan and so use margarine and oils in all our baking. We have tons of yummy desserts because my dd loves baking. 

I love vegan desserts  (as we don't eat eggs or milk) but I am terrible at making them.  

I do like the green Earth Balance; I remember the delectable oily butteriness of real butter but alas, this is good enough.

I'd not substitute margarine - it's not actually food.

Depending on the baked good, you can substitute a number of things, it can be worthwhile to experiment.  I like olive oil in cakes, or in muffins I will use some applesauce and reduce the sugar a little.  

Now this isn't true, the margarine I use is 98% Palm, Canola, Extra Virgin Olive, Safflower, and Flax oil.  Then it has a little bit of this and that added for flavor and I color and I assume texture (hard to say for sure).

• Like 2

I’m another always-butter user. I do have a couple of sticks of Earth Balance for when I am seeving vegan friends, but I have only baked specifically vegan recipes with it, like Black Bean Brownies.

My mother used margarine all of the time. I hate it.

• Like 1

Would a Fair Trade seal ensure that this isn't the case?

According a dutch documentary no.

If a certain % of the ingredients of the product is fairtrade, the whole product will be considered fairtrade.

Something like chocolate - hazelnut - paste is fairtrade because of the chocolate and the sugar.

For the hazelnuts child labor has been used.

This just for information on your question, not to derail the thread.

Ah see that's pretty often. It adds up so fast.

It just seems like eating less sweet things would more efficiently cut calories than switching from butter to margarine, ykwim?

That's true, but for me that would be deprivation and I don't think that's healthy. I lost 55 lbs. eating apple pie every day and never felt deprived. 

• Like 5