Menu

Monogram - should I or shouldn’t I?

TechWife

I’m thinking of ordering this coat, and Lands End offers monograms. I’ve never been into monograms, but for this item, it is interesting me for some reason. They place it on the cuff for coats, which seems kind of cool to me. But would it be cool or pretentious? I’m going to get the coat in Black and I think I would do the monogram in parchment. Weigh in, please!

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-wool-car-coat/id_314664?sku_0=::SCM

I'm not a monogram person but I'd do it so you can easily identify your coat if needed. Sometimes they all look the same if they're all hanging up or piled on a bed. 

Plus you live in the south so monogramming is everywhere. At least it is where my family lives. 

• Like 3

i'm a no-monogram, no name-on-the-back kind of person just because eventually the item will be given away and I don't want to do that with my name on it.

I actually buy things for my kids with the right monogram on them (there are fb groups). You can also remove a monogram pretty easily. I will buy stuff at the thrift store with monogram all the time.

Edited by Zinnia

i'm a no-monogram, no name-on-the-back kind of person just because eventually the item will be given away and I don't want to do that with my name on it.

This is why I don’t often monogram things.

I have done it once in a while, though, just because it looked so nice and a kid thought it was special.

I've only ever owned one monogrammed item, a briefcase I bought from Lands End about 30 years ago.

Anyway, I don't see what's pretentious about it, and assuming it was initials (not a whole name) I'd not hesitate if I wanted it.   It's just initials, right?  I know people who buy lots of things with initials on it.  They can be picked out, or some other kind of trim can be put over them.  I've even known some people who don't mind wearing someone else's initials, especially on a nice and/or vintage piece.  That's a beautiful coat. 

• Like 1

I'M sitting here going if I was spending that much money on 1 clothing item that would literally be the very only coat I would probably own again. :lol: I can promise it wouldn't be given away anyway. I wouldn't monogram it personally, but if that's what you like go for it.

• Like 2

To me, monograms screams "1980's". Back when I was a kid it seems like EVERYTHING was monogrammed but I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing something monogrammed.

It might be regional.  I have family living near St. Simon's in Georgia and I swear she spends more on monogramming than I spend on groceries.  And it's not just her...it's all over down there. 

• Like 6

I'M sitting here going if I was spending that much money on 1 clothing item that would literally be the very only coat I would probably own again. :lol: I can promise it wouldn't be given away anyway. I wouldn't monogram it personally, but if that's what you like go for it.

If it helps any, everything is 40% off on their website today! I’ll probably shrink or grow out of it at some point.

To me, monograms screams "1980's". Back when I was a kid it seems like EVERYTHING was monogrammed but I can't remember the last time I saw someone wearing something monogrammed.

You must not live anywhere near me. It's rare to see a woman not wearing something that's monogrammed. Shirts, jackets, boots (yes boots), necklaces, etc.

You must not live anywhere near me. It's rare to see a woman not wearing something that's monogrammed. Shirts, jackets, boots (yes boots), necklaces, etc.

Regional differences like this are so interesting. I'm in the midwest and the last time I saw anyone wearing a monogram was back in the early to mid-80s, during the Preppy Handbook era! 

• Like 2

Regional differences like this are so interesting. I'm in the midwest and the last time I saw anyone wearing a monogram was back in the early to mid-80s, during the Preppy Handbook era!

That's so true about regional difference. I'm on the edge of the Midwest/Southeast. We have quite a bit of southern influence. I'd say in my area monograms have been a really big deal for 2-3 years.
  • Like 1

My MIL in North Florida is one of those obsessed with monogram Southeastern women. And has been for many years (she gave us monogrammed sheets once ... that don't fit any bed in our house ... and oh by the way even though I prefer my middle name please use my first initial if you're going to monogram something for me, thanks)

I am Western woman all the way and find it very odd and slightly pretentious. So ... yeah I'm going with regional.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Another Georgia person who sees monogrammed clothing every day, all day. And purses, and boots, and backpacks, and blankets, etc. Pinterest has ideas for what to do with all your monogrammed stuff, like making quilt blocks. Even though I own a sewing machine that also embroiders, I did very little monogramming for my kids because I just couldn't see not being able to pass down clothes.

• Like 2

I didn't realize this was a somewhat regional thing. I do not see monograms at all in Oregon. We're not a dressy, formal kind of place. Would you monogram Columbia or Nike gear? Probably not.

Yes, yes you would. ;)

I am actually not a big monogram person, because I am cheap, and it's $$, but I like it. Nike fleece/sportswear pull overs, welcome mats, wreaths for the door, socks for little girls, water bottles...you name it

• Like 4

In the mid-atlantic, there is a lot of monogramming kid’s belongings, but most often with the name, not initials. Backpacks, coats, lunch boxes, hats, sweaters, sleeping bags, bean bag chairs, suitcases...everything.

For reasons I can’t articulate, I have never liked the standard monogram order of first initial, last initial, middle inital. It looks wrong to me. Plus, one of my kids has beautiful initials, but only if they are in name order. 😊 (Can you imagine anyone pays attention to these things? But yes - I bought him a suitcase with his initials in name order just because his initials are so great.)

• Like 1

In the mid-atlantic, there is a lot of monogramming kid’s belongings, but most often with the name, not initials. Backpacks, coats, lunch boxes, hats, sweaters, sleeping bags, bean bag chairs, suitcases...everything.

For reasons I can’t articulate, I have never liked the standard monogram order of first initial, last initial, middle inital. It looks wrong to me. Plus, one of my kids has beautiful initials, but only if they are in name order. 😊 (Can you imagine anyone pays attention to these things? But yes - I bought him a suitcase with his initials in name order just because his initials are so great.)

I don't like to see little kids with their full names on their backpacks and such. When my kids were little, I read (who knows where) not to display kids' names for anyone to see.  Stranger danger and all that.  Don't know how much of a risk that really poses, but it made sense to me at the time.  

For fun I looked at the monograms for the coat OP linked.  Depending on the style, they offered FML or FLM.  Certain ones work one way, and some the other way. So, sure, people pay attention to that stuff.  

In fact, here is a site with a monogram guide:  https://www.markandgraham.com/pages/monogram-guide/

• Like 1

I don't like to see little kids with their full names on their backpacks and such. When my kids were little, I read (who knows where) not to display kids' names for anyone to see. Stranger danger and all that. Don't know how much of a risk that really poses, but it made sense to me at the time.

For fun I looked at the monograms for the coat OP linked. Depending on the style, they offered FML or FLM. Certain ones work one way, and some the other way. So, sure, people pay attention to that stuff.

In fact, here is a site with a monogram guide: https://www.markandgraham.com/pages/monogram-guide/

Yes. I remember hearing full names are not great for little kid’s gear because someone could pretend to know them by calling their name.

I remember when the show John & Kate Plus 8 was on TV and they were going on a trip (Disney maybe?) and it showed Kate diligently covering the kids’ names with masking tape. I was like, “Um, Kate? Do you realize your children are ON TV and are *highly* recognizable? Suddenly you are concerned strangers might know their name?†More proof that the producers control reality shows...

• Like 3

Actually, the backpack and matching lunchbox I bought DS12 this schoolyear has his name and an Earth logo on them (from Lands End). But I guess the risk is not great at 12.

• Like 1

I would only monogram my child's initials on his lunch bag and backpack, maybe. I would not monogram name or initials on adult clothing. I am not sure that I want to display my initials when I go around in pubic. But, in my area, there are tons of people with customized car license plates with their first name or initials or last name. I guess, so, even in my area where we don't see monograms, there are people displaying their names on their cars and trucks. So, I cannot say that it is a regional thing.

I didn't realize this was a somewhat regional thing. I do not see monograms at all in Oregon. We're not a dressy, formal kind of place. Would you monogram Columbia or Nike gear? Probably not.

Yes you would! And maybe even silently curse the manufacturer for stealing the good spot for the monogram.

I haven't seen anyone monogram Patagonia or Northface jackets though.

• Like 2

Yes. I remember hearing full names are not great for little kid’s gear because someone could pretend to know them by calling their name.

I did mention that before putting my kids' names on their backpacks. My husband was like, "So, no one can ever call them by name in public?"

I decided it was not a valid fear.

• Like 1

I insist you buy it innorange with glow in the dark monogramming!

I haven’t seen monogramming since I left the south, but it can be a nice detail. Once when my daughter was 8 she specifically asked for a purple goat with her name on it. I think she got tired of be buying all her coats in blue, black, or red and unisex so her brother could wear it. That was one girly coat :-)

• Like 2