Menu

Style for stay at home moms...

LNC

I'm not very stylish. I don't wear a lot of make up. I've never even worn eye makeup. I wouldn't know how! I'm pretty casual. I'm a bit overweight. I wear sweaters and jeans every day with crocs, and long rayon April Cornell dresses (I have a closet full!) to church every Sunday.

Let's put it this way I'm no head turner! That's okay - from a modesty perspective ya know. But, I'm about to turn 40 and I just want to get it together.

I've been looking at some fashion websites my twin sister sister sent me and came across this blog:

http://sahmstyle.blogspot.com/

Inspiring but I could never dress like that!

Have any of you struggled with this???

I love the show What Not To Wear and picked up something from them like wearing darn denim jeans, tops and jackets with structure. I also like ann taylor loft and try to find their style clothes on sale at Kohls and sometimes I get lucky and get some great deals at ATL or coldwater creek. I have never been a t-shirt and jeans kind of girl I always liked the metro look, as my sister calls it. It just a matter of putting on well fit jeans and structured tops, nothing fancy a well structured polo vs a boxy one or a structured button down again vs a boxy one. I also love jackets and again find them on sale at atl, coldwater creek or talbots. As for shoes I have short legs so today's jeans are always to long so I need a heel and have loafer style shoes with a heel or wedge. You'll come into your own style. Don't be afraid to try things on and try in a couple of sizes to see which fit you like best. As for makeup I keep it simple with bare minerals, mineral viel, warmth, blush, mascara and lip gloss if I have time or am in the mood I go for eye color and maybe liner.

My dh and I would watch it every Friday night. He loved Stacy and Clinton's humor while I got a lot out of their advice on choosing clothes for my body type. I used some of the tips I got from the show, went shopping w/ last year's tax money (not all!) and bought a new wardrobe of some mix n match pieces. Dh LOVED my new style and confidence. So did I. It didn't take much. They also have a website w/ great ideas. I don't wear make-up during the week. I do wear a little to church or when I go out with dh or friends. I'm not very thin, but I realized that wearing bulky clothes made me look even bigger!

That is, the store... Lucy. If there isn't one in your area, go to lucy.com. I love their stuff lately. I always buy on-sale, and if you get on their mailing list, they keep you updated with coupons, etc. In fact, in January, I got about $450-$500 worth of stuff for about $200. It keeps me out of jeans now and then, plus I don't panic if the baby gets drool or, well, anything else(!) on most of it.

I'm guilty of not having any style. I use to always be well dressed and manicured but over the years I have found that it is not a priority. A few months ago my DH said, "Remember when you use to go and get your hair done? You should do it again." Ummmm... yeah of course I remember. I honestly just don't feel I have the time to get it done or for the upkeep and besides it costs too much. I wear no makeup and keep my hair pulled back in a bun. As for clothing I generally wear jeans and a T-shirt. When I go out to shop it is usually for DH and DS . Rarely will I buy something for myself and it must be on sale. I always say I am going to make myself a priority but the truth is I'm glad to have time for a daily shower. I don't think I look horrible so please don't turn me in to What not to wear!

than clothing. I figure I'm more presentable than I was a few years ago because I've graduated from generally sweats to generally khakis-and-jeans, but I'm not about to start stressing about what I wear.

I'm amused that the SAHM style blog author looks down her nose at SAHM's who don't wear pencil skirts and pointy shoes with pointy heels as a rule. As a SAHM with nary a point on nary a shoe in the closet I share with my husband, I can only say of such a blog, "how shallow."

I often pretend Stacy and Clinton are standing beside in the mirror.:D If it feels like the "before" I won't leave the house in it. I am definately more casual than I used but I have less sweats in my wardrobe now. My style is more funky casual.

Here's a fashion website where I keep up on the latest trends, not that I buy into all of them, but it's fun to read.

http://www.fashion-era.com/

I don't mind looking decent, but I would never pay those prices, and probably wouldn't buy those particular clothes. I do not like high maintenance clothing, and alot of those pics looked like they need ironed, at least, some even drycleaned. For me, a nice day is CLEAN jeans that fit decent and a CLEAN sweater, and shoes or loafers. Honestly, that is dressed for me. Before kids, i would spend my off days in my jammies. Even now, I have days when I'm in flannels and a sweatshirt, sans underwear.

I do have a pair of khakis that I can wear with my sweaters, and I feel fine. In summer, I wear polos (which I wear under my sweaters at times!) and denim, khaki or white shorts.

Make-up--NEVER I hate the way my face feels when I have it on, plus I'm a heavy sweat-er, so it gets yucky, and I have severe allergies which makes my eyes itchy and watery. Nails, use to and would still like to.

I'm not quite a denim jumper mom, but I guess I'm pretty close :)

than clothing. I figure I'm more presentable than I was a few years ago because I've graduated from generally sweats to generally khakis-and-jeans, but I'm not about to start stressing about what I wear.

I'm amused that the SAHM style blog author looks down her nose at SAHM's who don't wear pencil skirts and pointy shoes with pointy heels as a rule. As a SAHM with nary a point on nary a shoe in the closet I share with my husband, I can only say of such a blog, "how shallow."

I agree. My wardrobe is strudy and inexpensive. My shoes (Croc knock-offs) are a must because I'm still recovering from ankle surgery.

I am what I am!

I would flat out kill myself if I wore pointy shoes and pointy heels. I really need heelies to keep up with my 3 yr old. I literally have a wheeled chair between the desk of my 2 girls. Right...a pencil skirt and high heels while wheeling around in our classroom in teh basement. :rolleyes:

Ok, I'm from NY where black is all, but the easiest way I know to feel put together even when I'm just wearing jeans or shorts is to always wear a black top. In summer, it's black T's and blouses, and in winter, black sweaters and a black coat. (I know it sounds like funeral wear, but it really does look stylish.) I also always have a heel on my shoe. It makes me feel taller and thinner, and I just hold myself differently. A bit of makeup and a decent hair-day, and I'm good to go!

Well, I like to look nice, but I'm not a fancy sort of person. I can look nice in crop pants or jeans and a cute t-shirt. My price range is Kohl's and Lands End overstocks, and I don't like to shop, but I try to look good. I didn't go to hair salons or anything like that when I was younger, but I started getting my hair professionally cut last year and I love it!

Partly I feel like I should look nice. I don't want my kids looking at me and thinking "Hm, married, religious homeschooling SAHM = frumpy grump! No thanks!" In a way I'm an advertisement to my family for my choices, and I want them to be attractive choices--I'm competing with MTV and Cosmo* for their attention and I want to win. Style isn't substance but it sure can help.

I'm not gorgeous or anything; I need to lose weight too. So I try to get plenty of exercise and eat right without carping on about my weight all the time. I've got a couple of little girl sponges watching me, so I feel that I need to show that exercise and strength are fun, and one shouldn't obsess about weight.

*I don't actually let my little girls look at MTV or Cosmo. But let's face it, they'll get plenty of exposure to those things without my help.

Now that dc are 8 and 5, I can finally put a little effort in without worrying about bodily fluids on me! I hit some great finds at consignment shops and got some cute knee length skirts with some lycra in them for comfort-J Crew type stuff, some of them a nice A-line cut, and some tops that were more stylish. What really helped the look was all the cute tights available this year-I got grey, black, brown, etc., some with little patterns in the weave and so on. I wore them with flats or Born shoes, which I also found at the cons. shop. The Lord provided well for me in this way. It really does make a difference to feel pulled together and ladylike, modest and stylish, yet comfortable. As for the pointy shoes though-no way! :eek:

Okay, I'm thinking this blogging gal is the twin of my best friend.

If you are in a discount store, you want to look for the $200.00 bag that is now $70.00 not the $40.00 bag that is now $19.99. The "bargain" bag will look cheap and fall apart - not a bargain in the long-run.

Always remember to avoid designer names and logos. C's and MK's and DB's are tacky and not elegant. Even the LV's are tacky. Unless you can really, really afford LV bags, everyone will assume it's fake and fake is not elegant. Logo bags and clothes are a super pet-peeve of mine.

This quote is what did it for me. My friend thinks she is getting a deal when she shops in the above fashion. I think I can feed my family for a week on $70 or if I'm set for food, I can buy $70 worth of books. Who cares about some dumb bag?? And I guess I'm never fake. I need to sew a Goodwill logo onto all my purses. LOL. I can't even understand this girl's language?? C's and MK's and DB's and LV's. HUH? LOL! To each her own. Really my best friend is just like this and I love her. I'm amazed she'll be seen with me in public.

and for fragrance~ freshly milled flour.

I am a homeschooler you know ;)

I love this!!!

Really, what is important? How one dresses... in up the the minute styles...will not matter in eternity. I agree, the fact that the lady even has a whole blog devoted to what she wears every day is pretty pitiful in my opinion. It's shallow to say the least.

I love those nice knit pants, jeans and cords from Lands End. I also get 3/4 sleeve shirts, tunics and mocs from Lands End. I always look neat and they are easy to wash and dry. They also have lots of things you can just pull from the dryer and they don't need pressing. I usually get 7 new outfits 3 times a year and they last a long while. To prevent messing them up...I do my bathroom chores before getting dressed in the morning. Ask me how I know.:rolleyes: I also like getting my makeup on and doing my hair. I feel good and if anyone drops in, I'm all set. :D

I love the show What Not To Wear and picked up something from them like wearing darn denim jeans, tops and jackets with structure. I also like ann taylor loft

I highly recommend investing in a couple of good, structured shirts that fit well. Ann Taylor is the greatest! They have clearance sales all the time where I find good deals! I shop thrift stores and Ann Taylor and try to implement the Fashion Rules on "What Not to Wear."

I would recommend getting a fitted jacket (check thrift stores often!), dark, straight leg jeans (check thift store of Steve and Barry's), and investing in some knock-out tops from Ann Taylor to kick it up. I can't say enough about how the clothes by Ann Taylor will flatter your body and make you look leaner.

I have also taken to wearing cute heels or ballet flats rather than chunky shoes with my jeans.

Good luck!

Wow- I have never been stylish and I feel even less of a need now that I am a SAHM. I have never had any fashion sense and I go through stages where that bothers me and when it doesn't. I currently live in jeans and t-shirts. I very rarely wear make-up. For those of you with fashion sense that is great- even what not to wear would not help me I fear.

My dh and I would watch it every Friday night. He loved Stacy and Clinton's humor while I got a lot out of their advice on choosing clothes for my body type. I used some of the tips I got from the show, went shopping w/ last year's tax money (not all!) and bought a new wardrobe of some mix n match pieces. Dh LOVED my new style and confidence. So did I. It didn't take much. They also have a website w/ great ideas. I don't wear make-up during the week. I do wear a little to church or when I go out with dh or friends. I'm not very thin, but I realized that wearing bulky clothes made me look even bigger!

I am also a WNTW convert. I know can shop easily without getting overwhelmed like I used to! It is just as easy to throw on something flattering as something ugly. What a realization! I agree with Sue, I feel much more confident when I am not dressed schlumpy. My husband loves it as well. :D

I highly recommend investing in a couple of good, structured shirts that fit well. Ann Taylor is the greatest! They have clearance sales all the time where I find good deals! I shop thrift stores and Ann Taylor and try to implement the Fashion Rules on "What Not to Wear."

I would recommend getting a fitted jacket (check thrift stores often!), dark, straight leg jeans (check thift store of Steve and Barry's), and investing in some knock-out tops from Ann Taylor to kick it up. I can't say enough about how the clothes by Ann Taylor will flatter your body and make you look leaner.

I have also taken to wearing cute heels or ballet flats rather than chunky shoes with my jeans.

Good luck!

I agree about Ann Taylor. The clothes there fit so well and look so stylish! I go there when they have sales and can find really nice stuff for under $15 each. I also like Talbots. I'm still looking for a perfect pair of jeans.

I do get done up each day. I timed myself this morning and putting on makeup took me 3 minutes. It helps me feel better about myself. I also wear skirts most of the summer - some pencil, some A line. I feel so flirty and good when I do! Once I get back into the body I want, I will be investing in a cute black dress to wear for everyday. I love the way she dresses!

I do feel a bit frumpy in the winter because it's COLD and icy and I can't wear skirts and be warm and cute shoes and not fall! I need to be more practical.

Anyway, I don't think it's totally unreasonable to homeschool and look stylish and put together. It's really made a difference in my outlook during the day and I'm a better person when I feel good.

Without reading the other replies,

I find that the more style conscious I become, the more effort I put into putting clothes on my body that suit me, the better I am at it.

And I get used to clothes that I once thought not comfortable, or not practical.

Don't get me wrong: I'm no fashionista :rolleyes: . But, I've come a long way from daily jeans, Ts, and tennies. I am very modest in dress, but have found that I can still look good.

Just a bit of encouragement.

Well I don't really put a lot of effort into my looks, but I do like to look good.... So my general rule is to have a lot of good choices in my closet and get rid of anything that makes me feel dumpy. So when I found jeans that fit (finally!) I bought five pairs so I can always wear well-fit jeans. Right now I'm working on tops... I have a lot of trouble keeping enough good shirts and blouses around, both because I tend to spill coffee on them :rolleyes: and because they just plain wear out... But that's my current quest. I think I should probably be buying all brown and black shirts... you know... to hide the coffee stains. :p But what I really like is nice crisp white blouses, of which I currently have zero.

Oh, and socks!! I'm stocking up on socks I love (okay okay socks I knit myself -- I'm spoiled for "bought" socks now... LOL!!) -- there's nothing I like more than to be wearing socks that fit me just right with a neatly turned heel. It's not something that anyone else would care about if they were looking at me, but it makes me happy. And I'd love a nice pair of brown leather shoes with a tiny bit of a heel. I have boots I like, but the heel is too high for anything practical... I miss the shoes they replaced.

So I guess my ideal outfit would be white blouse, jeans, good socks and good brown leather shoes. Not fashion-model stuff by any means, but cute and flattering and reasonably practical.

I think I can feed my family for a week on $70 or if I'm set for food, I can buy $70 worth of books.

And YOU must be MY twin! :D

I'm afraid I stay in sweats and tees -- no shoes -- on days we don't have outside plans. I have two pairs of nice-fitting jeans and one pair of great-fitting jeans. Two hoodies, two sweaters, one knockout long-sleeved tee (hubby's favorite: v-neck, fits a little snugly across my bosom) and four tailored blouses (blue, coral, white and yellow) round out my everyday wardrobe. I have a tan suede jacket, a black wool coat, tie-dyed Crocs, stack-heeled loafers and a terrific pair of Saucony sneakers. Our church is casual, so I don't dress up for services. My church clothes come from the above wardrobe.

Occasionally, for weddings, funerals and Chamber of Commerce events, I break out some combination of the following: black pumps, navy heels, a floral dress, a navy and white check suit, a black skirt, a pair of tan dress pants, a white stretchy overlay blouse and a tailored white Liz Claiborne blouse.

I am nothing if not a creature of habit. I figure as long as I am neatly and appropriately dressed, well, good for me.

I'm not very stylish. I don't wear a lot of make up. I've never even worn eye makeup. I wouldn't know how! I'm pretty casual. I'm a bit overweight. I wear sweaters and jeans every day with crocs, and long rayon April Cornell dresses (I have a closet full!) to church every Sunday.

Let's put it this way I'm no head turner! That's okay - from a modesty perspective ya know. But, I'm about to turn 40 and I just want to get it together.

I've been looking at some fashion websites my twin sister sister sent me and came across this blog:

http://sahmstyle.blogspot.com/

Inspiring but I could never dress like that!

Have any of you struggled with this???

And, having small children, after "fit" comes "clean, clean, clean". If it's not clean-clean, but it fits well, I can always febreeze it, right? ;)

OK, it's not that bad. But honestly, find what fits you well, wears comfortably, works for you (ie - doesn't require that you slave over it to keep it in good repair), and makes you smile. If you put this little bit of effort into your wardrobe, it will pay you back a thousand times. Fashionable or not. I promise you.

I don't know that you have to wear makeup to look nice. If you feel comfortable doing so, sure, go for it. I wear a light foundation, eyeliner, mascara and Carmex. Even that sometimes seems a bit "much" to DH, though, so I just acknowledge that it's for "me" and enjoy it. (If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't do it. But I find it does help me feel more comfortable with the pony tail and baseball cap.)

Is your hair healthy? A simple trim to keep the ends un-fuzzed does wonders for general appearance. If you can find someone to help you find a hairstyle/cut that works for you, you may find that it really gives you a boost and a little "wow factor" as a pick-me-up. Both your makeup style and your hair style need to fit you - your lifestyle, your presence, and your outlook. Once those do, they feel almost effortless.

Now, for the wardrobe, again it's about fit IMHO. I've seen women in jeans, T's, and sneakers who look absolutely adorable, and then right behind them come women in jeans, T's and sneakers who look like they've just dug themsevles from the rubble of a frat party and fled for their lives. Heck, I've been both of those women! (Fashionably speaking. Never had to flee a frat house.)

When I look back at pictures of myself, I can remember how I felt wearing the less-than-flattering outfits. And really, if I'd thought about it (or cared) at the time, I'd have changed outfits. Same thing with the better looks, or (dare I say it?) styles I've worn over the years. You can tell when something doesn't "fit right".

When this baby is born, that will be it. Any further morphing of my body will be due solely to gravity and general abuse or lack of exercise. I'm looking forward to finding that couple pairs of great-fitting jeans and some flattering tops again (as the ones from five children ago are soooo not going to cut it in the "fit" department). But, as was mentioned above, any ensemble I buy for Everyday Wear is going to have to work for me. I've got to be able to get paint off of it, scrub toilets in it. I'll take it farther, though.

I've got to be able to curl up on the couch in it, haul brush to the pile in it. Slap a jacket or cardigan over it and go, without hesitation. And most importantly, when hubby puts his arms around me, I don't want to have that nagging feeling in the back of my head that it's a pity hug b/c I'm lookin' haggard, or feel compelled to suck it in b/c the jeans don't fit properly or the shirt rides up at embarrassing times. :cool: I'll have to be able to live in it. (For me, that means no pencil skirts and heeled shoes. It will mean something different for each of us.)

Which brings me back to my initial thoughts: find what fits you well, wears comfortably, works for you (ie - doesn't require that you slave over it to keep it in good repair), and makes you smile

But mostly - don't let the process of discovery on this get you down. Have fun with it. Find your comfortable stride and go for it! You can do it!

That is, the store... Lucy. If there isn't one in your area, go to lucy.com. I love their stuff lately. I always buy on-sale, and if you get on their mailing list, they keep you updated with coupons, etc. In fact, in January, I got about $450-$500 worth of stuff for about $200. It keeps me out of jeans now and then, plus I don't panic if the baby gets drool or, well, anything else(!) on most of it.

I've never seen that one and I love it! I seem to buy most everything at Title Nine and I needed a new source. I just got a new outfit from GarnetHill.com and it is my new favorite thing ever. I recommend the site highly.

Her outfits don't look that great for all the money she is spending. Really, you can get a look similar to hers at Old Navy and The Gap for a fraction of what she's spending. My girlfriend bought some beautiful, trendy tops at TJ Maxx for $20 each. My own wardrobe consists of jeans, yoga pants, Old Navy cotton and fleece tops. Yes, some designer stuff last forever -- but who wants to wear stuff forever.

Here's a funny. My MIL gave me a nice leather purse. I really like it because it's big and it can hold a lot of stuff. I bought a matching wallet to go with it at Kohls for $12. One day, shortly after getting it, a woman commented on it. "Wow, that's a huge COACH purse." I said, "what? it's a coach purse, what is that?" She pointed to a 1" x 1/2" leather tag that was on my purse that said "COACH." I went online and found their website and went HUH? Wow. How much? It's not that great. It's a leather purse, not a leather COAT. Now I feel bad if I don't use it....darn.

This year I upgraded my look a bit - just a bit! I went to the thrift store and spent a few evenings sorting through their dresses. I chose dresses that were wash and wear (I wash them in the cold cycle and hang them to dry). They are all knits of some kind. The ones I look best in are "shifts" (a very close cousin to the jumper but a bit more form-fitting!) My Mom drew around one and made a pattern and sent me three new ones in varying colors! I can bend in them, curl up on the couch in them, and be comfortable in them. I probably look a bit like a flower-child in the winter because I wear black leggings and black socks underneath them (looks like tights but more comfortable). In the winter I wear mock-turtle necks underneath them (they are no-sleeve). I wear them about 3 days a week. The rest of the days I'm in my leggings and a long sweatshirt (frumpy looking but really comfortable).

I'm ugly in anything, so I can't see spending more than $10 for a t-shirt and sweats -- jeans if I'm going "out." All my fancy clothes are long gone -- along with the dry cleaning bills! LOL!!!

I just got my hair cut last week -- it had been awhile. I told the lady, "I'm hoping I'll actually do something with it if it has some style to it -- not just toss it up on my head."

"No, you won't!" says she. She's right. ;-)

I think one of the bigger issues for many of us is that we've changed SIZES so many times that we can't AFFORD to stay up as nicely as we've liked. My dh has never really limited me, as long as I exercise common sense, but it's just not sensible to buy a whole new, nice wardrobe when your size changes, kwim? I was a scant medium (underweight) when I got married, got prego, bought medium maternity, grew into large maternity, was large or more post-partum (well really NOTHING fit, haha), got sick and became underweight (back to the scant medium), started getting well and gained weight, gained a little, more and oops a little more, till after a few years I was in the low end of the plus department. Well then I joined Curves and dropped several sizes in 4 months, only to get prego and start growing again. And you'd think SOMETHING of those larger sizes would fit with a growing, irritable belly, but do they? Barely, so here I am buying clothes again! But of course you don't want them to be maternity, not yet, and nothing that feels good now (jumpers) will be convenient for nursing post-partum. And oh, we did forget the nursing clothes stage!

So I've been married 10 years this June and will probably have gone through 10 sizes. Do we really expect any man to buy me a new wardrobe every time I change?!?! It's no WONDER we can't look as nice as we'd theoretically like. It's just not practical. We have to clean, bloom and grow, shrink, nurse, get spit and pooed on, garden, and oh, do it all on $300 a year for wardrobe, not $5,000.

I figure some sewing is in my future.

Oh, and about the hair. I've done it both ways, and my dh doesn't prefer it the fancy, layered way, go figure. But if he did, I would. My enjoyment of it goes in and out. Currently I'm in the mood but not willing to spend the money. But if you really want the WNTW experience, you can get a haircut yourself from Nick for only $250. Dh told me it wasn't worth it, lol, but maybe just ONCE? :)

Variety is the spice of life!

My take on this is the same as on the hairstyle thread a while ago. Find something you like, something that makes you feel good (or great!) and go for it. If it makes you feel good, it will compliment you.

For me... I mostly wear jeans, sweaters or t-shirts, & crocs every day... it's comfortable and practical for my lifestyle. I can run out and do something with the horses without having to change first.

I do keep appropriate things in my closet for going out, too. But honestly, my idea of a good time is going to horse related activities, where the appropriate attire is... jeans, some kind of practical layered top, and boots.

All that said, one of my best friends used to be a fashion model and was a beauty contest winner... and she dresses much differently than I do! These days, she teaches dance and modeling to kids and teens in the community... her style of dress reflects who she is and what makes her happy! Of course she looks great!

Just like I said about the hair... I truly believe that your clothes (and hair) should reflect your lifestyle and/or the things that make you happy, and not the other way around. If you feel a need for a change or an update, go for it! If you like the way you dress now, no need to do anything different. I think women who are comfortable with who they are, are beautiful. It's not about the pointy shoes vs. the crocs. ;)

I keep my hair well cut, wear powder and tinted lip salve (new for me in the last year), with bracelets, earrings and a necklace, and wear one figure-hugging garment at any time. So if I'm wearing yoga pants, it will be with a tunic; if I'm wearing loose trousers/jeans, it will be with a body-hugging top. I find that this makes me feel attractive without being difficult to wear, and DH seems to appreciate the look. Oh, and nice underwear (VS).

Right now it's cold and houses here are not centrally heated, so you might have to dig down through a few layers to get to the attractive bit, but I know it's there!

Laura

have you ever tried to go clothes shopping with all of the kids - including a toddler. Most of you are sane enough to shudder at the prospect. I've done it. It wasn't pretty. I'm not doing it again.

This is what happened the last time I attempted to shop with a toddler: The dressing room walls did not come all the way to the floor. I had my shirt off and was getting the next shirt off of the hangar. The toddler in question did a slick escape move under the wall and ran into the main part of the store squealing gleefully. *I* had to dash after him holding the shirt over my front with my chin as I scooped him up. Thankfully, the store was relatively empty of other customers. I, too, will not be doing that again. :D

Lisa

I didn't read all the posts but I personally enjoy feeling put together... which I am not yet today. Maybe if I took a photo of myself every morning, it would hold me accountable to being presentable by the time my dh comes home!!

One fun thing I did to feel more current recently was to go to a makeup counter and get a makeup "counseling session". I had a friend tag along for moral support. I chose a brand of makeup by asking a friend whose makeup always looks nice and whose style I enjoy. My husband comments all the time on how much he enjoys my makeup. I love getting compliments from my hubbie!

Looking nice comes in so many flavors. I think the key is finding something you enjoy and can wear and be happy with yourself. I love April Cornell... Have you looked at the Hanna Anderson website for casual ideas?

Thanks for sharing that blog,

Amy

I am *no* fashion plate. Not at *all*. However, I do think it's important to look decent and put together because society does judge people based on how they dress. Maybe it comes from being 5'1" and asked if I want a child's menu half my life but I do like to dress like a grown-up. I don't find it takes a ton of money to dress decently.

That said, Craft Magazine has super cute and easy to make wrap and circle skirts in the current issue! They have a pdf on their website with the pattern. http://craftzine.com/06/wrapskirt/

I used to buy all my clothes second-hand. It took a lot of time to search out ones I liked and then I ended up with a wardrobe full of clothes I didn't like that didn't go with one another. Since we have been on the road, I had to invest in some winter clothes pretty quickly because we were suddenly in a cold country and I had only a few summer clothes. I found a shop whose clothes I love and it has been so simple to put together a couple of outfits which I really enjoy wearing and I believe suit me. I am very taken with this way of dressing. I have a cardigan I got for Christmas, a knitted jumper (sweater), a skirt and a pair of short trousers. I also have three cotton tops and a warm coat with matching hat and gloves. It is so much easier to dress smartly now because all the clothes are chosen to go with one another.

I don't wear make up but I do have a pretty Cherry Chau hair slide which makes me feel beautiful.

still in my 20's....

But I too struggle with this. Sometimes I look so frumped. It doesn't help that I live in a Florida suburban neighborhood. All the moms/ladies work and every day come home dressed to the hilt, get their hair done, etc. The moms that stay home (the very very few of them) are either frumped like me or still have plenty of money because they're planning to return to work next year, the minute their little one turns 2...

It just seems like there aren't many in between?

I have tried to solve this problem by coming up with a basic style that's not expensive but reliable. For me, it's feminine tee shirts, and either khaki bermudas or khaki capris. In winter it's boot cut jeans and the same tee shirts (we are in a hot climate!)

I also now only have two style of sandals that I'll wear. I now only pick sandals that are feminine flip flops. I no longer wear REEFS because they are not feminine at all.

And now I wear makeup every day. I made it part of my morning routine and it really helps. No one applies makeup and then doesn't look at the rest of themselves.

So I don't know but I would encourage you to choose feminine when possible and apply makeup every morning even if you aren't going out. This will begin to change your look, and slowly but surely you'll feel less plain.

The difference in me is huge...you used to see me with boyish shorts, boyish tee shirt of plain colors like black or blue, and reefs, no makeup and maybe even glasses.

Now with capris (which are undeniably feminine even though they are not colored), a feminine cut tee shirt with either flowers or button-down, and feminine flip flops, makeup and no glasses it's a 100% difference without adding much time or cost....

On line, if you order in the next few days, you get extra off the reduced prices. I got an extra 38 dollars off and bought two bottoms, four tops and one jacket for USD 109 before shipping. That forms a capsule wardrobe - with one other pair of pants (bought locally) and two new tunics that I have already bought on sale from Landsend, that's my entire summer wardrobe. Almost everything can be worn with everything else, and it all goes with the sandals I'll be wearing all summer.

I'm going to do what I always meant to do: hang outfits up on hangers, including jewelry, and just step into them. Wish me luck, especially as I bought a skirt for the first time in..... ten years?

Thanks to Colleen for telling me about J.Jill - I can't afford them full price, but the sale is great.

Laura

Just a few comments regarding that blog you found... I don't see any mention of being a home schooler. I would imagine her children go to school. Also, I found a post a bit down on the page where she mentions being on a trip to Las Vegas with her husband. Just the husband?

Me thinks this woman's husband has a high-paying job which affords her money to shop and be a stylish-sahm. ???

That being said, I have many home schooling friends that always look nice...casual...but, very nice and stylist.

I'm not one of them!

Hee, hee...

~Holly

I don't agree with every piece of fashion advice she offers (I won't be running out to buy pencil skirts and pointy-toe shoes). But her advice for stylish t-shirts, sweaters, jeans, and sandals fits right into what I've tried to do with my wardrobe over the years. Right now my wardrobe is in sad need of updating. Many of my sweaters and Ts are too short for today's lower-cut jeans, although I don't even wear super-low cut, so I'm always tugging at them (and most of them don't look right with the layered look - I'm talking about sweaters I bought 4 to 10 years ago). Leah's blog inspired me to try to find time next week to head to some of the stores she likes and hope for some bargains.

is that there don't seem to be any that teach you how to work within your own lifestyle and personality and find things that look nice but work for you.

I watched What Not to Wear a few times this past fall and I became so depressed after watching one episode in particular. They were so critical of the woman's clothing choices. She was about my age and they wanted to tear her apart for wearing clothes that were "too young". Now, I agree that it is possible to dress too young (or too old), but I felt that many of her choices weren't all that bad. They made her over and she looked great, but I wondered if she still felt like her or if she felt like some little girl playing dress up in someone else's clothes. The choices didn't seem to fit her lifestyle or her personality even if the colors and cuts were right and the styles were the latest fashion.

After that episode, I started to look very critically at my own wardrobe. I even wrote some blog posts about it. Yeah, me, writing about fashion of all things. I got some advice that I thought was very good and I also got some advice that, though it was probably proper advice and well-intentioned, would have had me dressing as someone else.

I also realized that much of my problem comes from where I get my clothes. I am a bargain shopper to the core. That's great, but sometimes I pick things from Goodwill or a garage sale or the clearance rack based more on price and the fact that I've seen other people wearing similar things so it must be in style.

My 23-year-old sister-in-law is a shop-a-holic. (Do I win an award for most hyphenated words in a sentence for that?) She wears her clothes one season and then hands them down to me and my girls. That's wonderful. I appreciate barely worn, nice clothes for free. The problem is are they all really appropriate for us? That's easy to decide when it comes to the girls, but not so easy when it comes to me. I have five tailored miniskirts hanging in my closet now that came from her. I've worn them a few times. They work okay for my shape, but do they fit my lifestyle? Do they fit my personality? Not particularly. Dh likes them. They're short and as someone pointed out on my blog, they do look a little "naughty secretary". So, yeah, of course he likes them.;) Should I really wear them outside of the bedroom though?:o I think the "lusty librarian" look from the SAHM blog (long pencil skirt, long-sleeved shirt) fits my personality (and probably age) for those times I need to wear something a little more formal than jeans or slacks. And how often is that, anyway?

Since I shop the way I do, I've also got too many things that have nothing to go with them. I need to find some balance between bargain hunting and buying what I need.

My advice? Watch the shows and read the blogs if you like. Try to dress nicer. (Or just try to get dressed period as I am sitting here typing in my pjs.) But keep your own style and activities in mind. I cannot imagine wearing a pencil skirt and pointy-toed high heels to do a science lab with kindergartners. I wouldn't be comfortable and I'd feel ridiculous. Besides, I'd probably break my neck walking to the door and those poor kiddies would be without a science lesson:rolleyes:

I don't want my kids looking at me and thinking "Hm, married, religious homeschooling SAHM = frumpy grump! No thanks!" In a way I'm an advertisement to my family for my choices....

You make an excellent point here, imo, and not just regarding our kids, but others who look at us. I have several college-aged nieces who are headed for a career track and I'm sure they must think of me as dumpy flubber with a baby on her hip! I want them to see that what I do is wonderful, desirable, a great lifestyle choice. It's not hs or religion that makes me unstylish, but my appearance sure doesn't make my life look great and appealing! Of course there are many ways to draw people and looking nice is only one way, but let's all admit that our appearance makes a huge impression and certainly influences others' opinions of who we are and what we are about.

Hmm. I'm really wishing I had style right now. I'm taking notes on this thread.

A few basics in any closet can make a woman both feminine and comfortable:

form fitting summer dress--length past knee

jeans (something made in 21st century!)

black and white tees, purchased this season

white blouse

feminine sandals, sleek boots (depending on season)

current solid sweat suit to wear w/ either sneakers or flipflops

well fitting shorts or capris

I adore spring and summer to wear a straw hat. I'll wear it with anything and it immediately dresses up the outfit. Throw on a big pair of sunglasses, and nobody can tell I haven't yet taken a shower :) We're on the verge of spring, so my winter wardrobe mentality is gone for the season! Good thing b/c I didn't do much but wear sweats and jeans w/ the ridiculously pointy toes!!