Menu

Who's prepping for Harvey?

chiguirre

I'm going to go buy canned food and matches later. The rest of the hurricane stash is in good shape. We need to eat from the freezer as much as possible today and tomorrow. I'm lucky that I live far enough inland that I don't have to think about evacuating, just preparing for no power and street flooding. Monday is supposed to be Geezle's first day of school but that might be postponed. 

How are other Texans doing?

I'm very worried about the amount of precipitation and the projected slow track up the Texas coast. I hope this isn't another Allison. We've had enough flooding recently in Houston!

• Like 3

We're far enough inland that we're just going to have flooding and wind, but I feel for the people of Port Aransas! They are expecting Harvey to become a Category 3 and Port A is under mandatory evacuation.

We've brought in the light stuff on the deck, and I've been pulling out the battery operated fans, arranging the freezer, and taking care of stuff in case we lose power.  

Thinking of all you in the path of Harvey. Here's my PLOP Preparation List (PLOP = Potential Loss Of Power) in case it helps anyone.

AKA PLOP System (Potential Loss of Power)

1. Showers for all

3. Dishwasher loads

4. Washer loads

5. Transfer station run

6. Gas tank filled

7. Grocery Store run

8. Flashlights within reach and in both bedrooms

9. Bird feeders full (bring in when the winds start)

10. Water in pots

11. Spouse home from work

12. Bake muffins, cookies, and bread

13. Make pizza

14. Move gas grill to garage

15. Pre-grind coffee and find French Press and/or buy instant coffee; make a pot of coffee before power goes out 

16. Run another load of dishes

17. Charge cell phone 

18. Find corded phone for landline

19. Charge cell phones, tablets, and laptop

20. Non-electric can opener handy

21. Make sure all prescription and OTC meds are on hand

22. If you have enough time, stop by the library to stock up on reading material.

23. Make hard-boiled eggs

24. Freeze drink containers and gallon ziplocs of water lying flat, so we’ll have ice to keep items in the refrigerator/freezer cold.

25. Paper plates, etc to minimize dishes

26. One glass used per person to minimize dishes

27. Solar driveway lights can double as emergency lighting. Juice up before storm and then use for area lighting during the storm.

28. Keep fire extinguisher handy.

29. Make sure smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are working (with back-up batteries)

30. Make sure that tripping hazards are removed from floor and stairs. (Well, that’s a lost cause.)

My friend's husband is a nursing home care manager in Dallas and he is having to go down and help get elderly OUT of the area and up to the Dallas area.  It is a huge undertaking as they need busses, handicap accessible vans, and ambulances.

I feel for all those in hospitals, hospice care, nursing homes, etc....

• Like 1

I'm going to go buy canned food and matches later. The rest of the hurricane stash is in good shape. We need to eat from the freezer as much as possible today and tomorrow. I'm lucky that I live far enough inland that I don't have to think about evacuating, just preparing for no power and street flooding. Monday is supposed to be Geezle's first day of school but that might be postponed. 

How are other Texans doing?

I'm very worried about the amount of precipitation and the projected slow track up the Texas coast. I hope this isn't another Allison. We've had enough flooding recently in Houston!

We are farther inland but I did reschedule my kids' birthday party (Scheduled for a park on Saturday).  And I'm concerned about how flooding will affect (Effect?) the start of school on Monday.

Thinking of all you in the path of Harvey. Here's my PLOP Preparation List (PLOP = Potential Loss Of Power) in case it helps anyone.

1. Showers for all

3. Dishwasher loads

4. Washer loads

5. Transfer station run

6. Gas tank filled

7. Grocery Store run

10. Water in pots

13. Make pizza

15. Pre-grind coffee and find French Press and/or buy instant coffee; make a pot of coffee before power goes out 

17. Charge cell phone 

22. If you have enough time, stop by the library to stock up on reading material.

24. Freeze drink containers and gallon ziplocs of water lying flat, so we’ll have ice to keep items in the refrigerator/freezer cold.

27. Solar driveway lights can double as emergency lighting. Juice up before storm and then use for area lighting during the storm.

29. Make sure smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors are working (with back-up batteries)

30. Make sure that tripping hazards are removed from floor and stairs. (Well, that’s a lost cause.)

This is obviously not your first rodeo...

Fabulous list!!  :hurray:

My 'heart' still resides in South Texas... #Corpus

Stay safe all in the path...

• Like 5

I hope it will not be as bad as you think it may be, but it is better to try to prepare for worse than that.  "Be Prepared" is the Boy Scouts motto.  Fingers crossed that it won't be as bad as they think it might be.

OT: I hope you friends and family in Venezuela are OK there, or were able to go to another country.

Excellent list!  I do find it helps to HAVE a list, as it helps me to plan as these things sometimes hit at busy times of year.  

I've added a few things from your list to mine.  Here are a few more additions, in case anyone is making their own list.

1. Check emergency go-bags if you have them; update with clothes that fit and work for the season.  (A simple bag with a change of clothes (perhaps hand-me-downs that weren't favorites) and a fleece blanket (thrifted, perhaps) is a good start.  You could add a list of things to add at the time of use - granola bars, water bottles, etc. - to make the process of leaving easier.) 

2. Clean the yard of sticks, toys, and anything else that will fly around and do damage in the wind.

3. Take a look to see if there are any dead branches likely to come down in the wind; take them down before the storm.

4. Have wicks and oil on hand if you use oil lamps during power loss.

5. Check your sump pump to be sure it's in good shape!

6. If you have a backup power source, make sure it's in place and has fuel.  (In our case, we rig up an inverter to a van with a full gas tank; this can power the fridge and charge our devices.)

7. Make sure you've got food for your pets as well as your people!

In our case, we also get snowstorms, so I have a few snow-specific items on my list.

1. Park cars at the end of the driveway (closest to the street) for easy exits, with wipers up for easier windshield scraping.

2. Make sure each car has brushes and scrapers for the snow season.  Keep a set inside the house for the initial brushing/scraping.

3. Put the snow shovels where they are easily accessible, so you don't have to trek to the shed to get them.

4. Double-check the winter item list for each car.

• Like 4

1. Showers for all

3. Dishwasher loads

4. Washer loads

5. Transfer station run

6. Gas tank filled

7. Grocery Store run

10. Water in pots

13. Make pizza

17. Charge cell phone

That's a great list! All things I hope and try to do but always forget something. This is print worthy!

• Like 1

Great lists! I hope you will all be ok. I just placed an Amazon order for a headlamp and phone charger for a relative in Houston. Items are due to arrive Saturday, hope they arrive on time. Actually, hope they won't be needed, lol.

Do you keep regular digital cameras around in case you need to take pictures of damage, but don't want to drain your phone? Sorry to even mention that....

Excellent list!  I do find it helps to HAVE a list, as it helps me to plan as these things sometimes hit at busy times of year.  

I've added a few things from your list to mine.  Here are a few more additions, in case anyone is making their own list.

1. Check emergency go-bags if you have them; update with clothes that fit and work for the season.  (A simple bag with a change of clothes (perhaps hand-me-downs that weren't favorites) and a fleece blanket (thrifted, perhaps) is a good start.  You could add a list of things to add at the time of use - granola bars, water bottles, etc. - to make the process of leaving easier.) 

2. Clean the yard of sticks, toys, and anything else that will fly around and do damage in the wind.

3. Take a look to see if there are any dead branches likely to come down in the wind; take them down before the storm.

4. Have wicks and oil on hand if you use oil lamps during power loss.

5. Check your sump pump to be sure it's in good shape!

6. If you have a backup power source, make sure it's in place and has fuel.  (In our case, we rig up an inverter to a van with a full gas tank; this can power the fridge and charge our devices.)

7. Make sure you've got food for your pets as well as your people!

In our case, we also get snowstorms, so I have a few snow-specific items on my list.

1. Park cars at the end of the driveway (closest to the street) for easy exits, with wipers up for easier windshield scraping.

2. Make sure each car has brushes and scrapers for the snow season.  Keep a set inside the house for the initial brushing/scraping.

3. Put the snow shovels where they are easily accessible, so you don't have to trek to the shed to get them.

4. Double-check the winter item list for each car.

Excellent list! We get blizzards as well. I would add lock de-icers in case your car locks freeze and you can't get into the car. Do not store the lock de-icers in the car!! Ask me how I know.

One of my sons is at college in the path of the storm, though inland. I'm not too worried about hom, but I told him to stay out of flooded areas and not be stupid.

If anyone wants some good hurricane reading for the weekend, Isaac's Storm and Sudden Sea are both great books. Isaac's storm is about the 1900 Galveston hurricane and Sudden Sea is about the Hurricane of 1938. That one hit my hometown hard and my grandma had some amazing pictures from it.  

I hope everyone in Harvey's path is taking it seriously - I'll be keeping everyone in my thoughts. We got hit hard a few years ago from Irene. Tropical storm/hurricane flooding is scary stuff. 

• Like 2

We're gearing up for potentially serious flooding. Our house has the original (25 year old) roof, so that worries me a bit. 

I need to disassemble the trampoline tomorrow, and am also meeting a friend at the park tomorrow morning to run our kids before we get cooped up for days. 

Today we went to half price books to stock up in case of house arrest, and I went to 4 stores looking for D batteries for my fans. (Because loss of air conditioning is noooooo bueno.)

1. Showers for all

3. Dishwasher loads

4. Washer loads

5. Transfer station run

6. Gas tank filled

7. Grocery Store run

10. Water in pots

13. Make pizza

17. Charge cell phone 

You make lists for loss of power like I do for camping! 

My PLOP list is like: 

Locate the flashlights

Buy some snacks.

Charge stuff

• Like 1

Many SAT test centers are affected for this Saturday's test date

Link for details https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/register/test-center-closings

"Texas

Alief Taylor Hs

Center Code: 44591

Notes: Makeup is to be determined

Anahuac Hs

Center Code: 44766

Angleton Hs

Center Code: 44133

Athlos Leadership Academy

Center Code: 42005

Booker T Washington High School

Center Code: 44533

Brazosport Hs

Center Code: 44420

Calhoun Hs

Center Code: 42339

Cleveland Hs

Center Code: 44237

Cy-Fair Sr Hs

Center Code: 44477

Notes: Test takers should report to

CYPRESS WOODS HIGH SCHOOL

13550 WOODS SPILLANE BLVD

CYPRESS,TX 77429

Test Center #44006

Cypress Creek Hs

Center Code: 44484

KLEIN HS

16715 STUEBNER-AIRLINE

KLEIN,TX 77379

Test Center #44584

George Bush Hs

Center Code: 44721

George Ranch High School

Center Code: 44714

Hargrave High School

Center Code: 44486

Heights High School

Center Code: 44579

Homer Hanna Hs

Center Code: 44216

J Frank Dobie Hs

Center Code: 44519

James Madison Sr High School

Center Code: 44481

Jersey Village Hs

Center Code: 44495

SPRING WOODS SR HS

2045 GESSNER

HOUSTON,TX 77080

Test Center #44516

Los Fresnos Hs

Center Code: 44119

Pasadena Memorial Hs

Center Code: 44567

Pflugerville Hs

Center Code: 44175

STONY POINT HS

1801 TIGER TRAIL

ROUND ROCK,TX 78664

Test Center #44928

South Houston High School

Center Code: 44840

Tomball Hs

Center Code: 44867

Victoria Coll

Center Code: 44876

Westside Hs

Center Code: 44539

Notes: Makeup is to be determined"

• Like 1

We're stocked up on things here (suburb of Houston). We have lanterns and means of cooking, plenty of food (except I am out of eggs, and debating trying to hit the store today for that....), water in our camping jugs to see us through (and likely my kids will fill their bathtub, though I don't think it's necessary where we are, probably), and brought in all the stuff from outside so it's not blowing around, although our area is so far only predicted to have TS level winds, not hurricane winds, so honestly we should be fine and mostly all we'll need to worry about is being homebound as the area around us will flood.

We've got board games, reading material, puzzles, etc, if we need entertainment and lose power, and the co-op my kids attend has already cancelled class for Monday (they follow one of the local school districts), and we're watching to see if my son's comm. college does as well or not. So, we're set. 

• Like 2

FYI, for those who know little about landline phones, landline phones that plug directly into the landline socket should be able to get their power from the main landline grid system. Even if power goes out as long as the main phone system grid remains operational the landline phone should keep working since those lines are usually buried and it takes very little power to power a standard landline phone. However a lot of newer landline phones have a complicated base system that draws more power than a standard landline phone (and therefore usually require a separate electrical plug) which means they will stop working without power. If they can run on a battery get spares. If you have a more old fashion standard phone that jacks directly into the phone grid you might want to have it ready too.

• Like 3

So appreciate both of these lists! Justasque, would you be willing to share your winter item list for cars?

Merci beaucoup,

Amy

Sadly, I am not as organized, list-wise, for winter car prep.  I have a few things in my mind, but not in list form.

Excellent list! We get blizzards as well. I would add lock de-icers in case your car locks freeze and you can't get into the car. Do not store the lock de-icers in the car!! Ask me how I know.

:001_smile:  Thanks for the master list - lots of great ideas!

• Like 2

FYI, for those who know little about landline phones, landline phones that plug directly into the landline socket should be able to get their power from the main landline grid system. Even if power goes out as long as the main phone system grid remains operational the landline phone should keep working since those lines are usually buried and it takes very little power to power a standard landline phone. However a lot of newer landline phones have a complicated base system that draws more power than a standard landline phone (and therefore usually require a separate electrical plug) which means they will stop working without power. If they can run on a battery get spares. If you have a more old fashion standard phone that jacks directly into the phone grid you might want to have it ready too.

Just as an aside...

When we moved here we were told to get any old-fashioned telephone that plugs into a wall phone jack landline and requires no electricity, because our electricity is so unreliable here and goes out nearly daily. It was so hard to buy a phone like that! We couldn't find one anywhere! We finally did find one, but those types of phones are going by way of the buggy whip, I'm afraid. So if you have one, hang onto it!

Edited by Kinsa

Just as an aside...

When we moved here we were told to get any old-fashioned telephone that plugs into a wall phone jack landline and requires no electricity, because our electricity is so unreliable here and goes out nearly daily. It was so hard to buy a phone like that! We couldn't find one anywhere! We finally did find one, but those types of phones are going by way of the buggy whip, I'm afraid. So if you have one, hang onto it!

Good point!  They are exceedingly hard to find now.

Hill Country here (between Austin/San Antonio)

We can get 2 inches or 15 inches... won't know until it happens!

We live on a hill top so we will not flood-- but we could get stranded for a day or so.  The ground here is dry so there will be LOTS of run off... Pray our little tourist town stays safe-- we have had too many terrible floods the past few years!

DD was supposed to have an all-night band fundraiser tonight-- they may postpone... if we get more than 3 inches of rain tonight the kids will be stranded as school is on high ground but surrounded by low-water crossings.

We have plenty of water and I'm grilling (ceramic kamado grill)  ribs and chicken today-- cause that is what is in the freezer! (so I good or bad I wont have to cook Saturday and Sunday and we will eat well!)

The last one to make it up here gave me 15 inches of rain in my kitchen! -- we had a wind sheer the week before and did not realize a few shingles had come off of the roof and bent some flashing just over my kitchen near a skylight... I was teaching one of my online classes (right next to the kitchen!) when it started raining INSIDE!... no way to put a tarp up... luckily we did not have to replace the cabinets!  We had to replace drywall on walls (one in kitchen and one in pantry)...

Hope everyone near the coast stays safe-- some predictions say 40 inches of rain between Corpus and Houston!!!

• Like 2

We prepped to stay (my preference)--we are right in Houston proper. Our neighborhood will 100% flood as it always does but our house never does (hoping this isn't the first time!). My dh felt super strongly about leaving so ended up heading to Dallas early this morning and going to do some touristy stuff for the weekend.

I'm conflicted as I'd rather be there hunkered down but I think everyone else in my family disagrees :) So mini vacation to avoid the storm. Wondering when we'll be able to drive back...

• Like 1

Hope everyone near the coast stays safe-- some predictions say 40 inches of rain between Corpus and Houston!!!

Our town is exactly halfway between Victoria and Houston. Right now we're supposed to get 30 or more inches of rain. I can't even imagine that much rain falling at one time. This morning the weather announcer out of Houston told everyone to prep for not leaving their house from Saturday through Wednesday next week because of the severe flooding that is going to occur. The rain isn't supposed to move out until sometime Thursday. 

Many SAT test centers are affected for this Saturday's test date

Link for details https://collegereadiness.collegeboard.org/sat/register/test-center-closings

"

Pflugerville Hs

Center Code: 44175

STONY POINT HS

1801 TIGER TRAIL

ROUND ROCK,TX 78664

Test Center #44928

"

WOAH. This is our zoned high school. Yes, I rescheduled our (park) party this Saturday but I would not have thought it would have affected us to the point of needing to change test centers. I wonder what the criteria are in these circumstances. Its not like Round Rock is that much farther away.

Our town is exactly halfway between Victoria and Houston. Right now we're supposed to get 30 or more inches of rain. I can't even imagine that much rain falling at one time. This morning the weather announcer out of Houston told everyone to prep for not leaving their house from Saturday through Wednesday next week because of the severe flooding that is going to occur. The rain isn't supposed to move out until sometime Thursday. 

We must be very near each other, and yep, we're prepped to stay home. I keep reminding myself the 30" is over the course of the whole 4 days, not all today/tomorrow. Still a ton of rain, and our first time with that much in our current house, so we'll see how we do. :gulp: 

We didn't flood in either of the Memorial Day/100 yr floods the last few years, nor the time before that when our area got 10" in one night (in just a few hour time span, really) and the inches-per-hour is supposed to be less this go 'round......hoping that helps with the predicted totals, and hoping our "we didn't flood when...." holds true this time, too; rain coming down vs. water coming up from flooded rivers, so until we make it through this one I won't 100% relax, even though we didn't flood those times.

• Like 1

13. Make pizza

Why pizza? I mean, why not pizza? Pizza is always good. But I can't think why that specifically would be a good PLOP prep food.

Good luck to all of you in the affected areas.

• Like 2

Since we live in a hurricane prone state our weather forecasters get all worked up about any hurricane, even if it isn't coming anywhere near us. I've been following Harvey and thinking of you guys. It sounds like it will be a strong Cat 3 when it hits but then will hang around quite a while dumping rain on you. Good luck to all of you. Keeping you in my thoughts.

• Like 1