Menu

All day at JFK... with four kids... multiple suitcases....

umsami

We'll be arriving at JFK at 8 a.m. for a 6:30 p.m. flight  (Sigh--yes, I know, insanity.  I didn't book the flights.)   The counter to check in for our 6:30 p.m flight won't open until 3:30/4:00 p.m.  So I'm facing all day at the airport with four kids.  I used to live in Brooklyn, so NYC is not unknown to me, but I've never spent more than a few hours at JFK.  Also, it's been quite a few years since I lived in Brooklyn.

Any tips/advice/ideas? 

Edited by umsami
  • Like 1

Are you heading somewhere they haven't been before?  Could you ask the kids questions about the destination and have them guess answers?  Draw maps?  Talk about things or people they are hoping to see?

Do a read aloud?  Do a visual scavenger hunt?  Practice meditation?

Coloring books?

Hey, what about the history of airplanes or that airport.   Are there any resources around you could get access to?  

Honestly, I would be breaking this up into survivable time increments.   Do something and try to stretch it out for 30 minutes.  If you make it through with only minor complaints pat yourself on the back then move on to the next time increment.  Don't think about all the hours ahead.  Just the next 30 minutes...and good luck.

• Like 5

Outgoing (so you can check luggage through) or incoming (so you'll have to take custody of all your luggage, clear customs, and be unable to re-check it until the check-in for the next flight opens)?  

If you'll have all the luggage with you, you're pretty much stuck in that airport -- beachball and card games like Uno and Set and Quiddler.  A couple of the terminals have climbing sets for little ones.  Getting shoe-shines can fill an hour... but basically you're doomed, I am sorry to say...

If you don't, you might nip over to the Hall of Science in Queens.  I don't think public transit would work terribly well (it's quite close to LaGuardia, so that shuttle gets you closer), but by cab it'd be 15-20 minutes and a great way to make them tired.

• Like 2

If the person/company who booked your trip set you up on 2 airlines that do not have an Interline Baggage agreement, you are toast.  

Let us assume that you cannot check the multiple suitcases from your origin airport to your destination airport.  After you arrive at JFK you should claim them in the Baggage Claim, within 30 to 60 minutes of the arrival in JFK.   And then what are you going to do until mid afternoon with 4 kids and multiple suitcases?

NOTE: BEFORE YOU CLAIM YOUR LUGGAGE IN JFK    I would check, with the airline Baggage Service, in the Baggage Claim where your bags arrive, and ask them if you can leave your luggage there, and claim them, about 230 P.M., without causing an issue.

If you can Interline the suitcases from origin airport to destination airport, there are possibilities.  If not, you are going to have a long day at JFK.

I doubt that you can "Check" baggage, as was possible years ago, because of Security concerns. However, I would check, to see if that is possible in the terminal where your first flight arrives. Years ago, there were coin-operated compartments people could put things into, but I think after 9/11 those were removed.

JetBlue is renovating the old TWA Terminal Building at JFK. It is an Engineering and Architectural masterpiece.   I saw an "Extra" on TV about that, when viewers in the USA were getting Commercials. If it is open that would be very cool for you and your family to see. They are converting it into a Hotel.

• Like 2

We had an all-day wait at JFK once.  One thing that helped was bringing sandwiches!  My kids were constantly hungry for some reason and I was glad we didn't have to pay for a meal each time.  

Other than that, pack light carry-ons if you can, because then you can explore other terminals for fun.  Unless you are remaining in the security area, or have lots of suitcases to watch.  If you do have lots of suitcases to watch, you can still take turns watching them.  We kind of set up base camp at a lounge that looked comfortable, and would take turns walking around.  Lots of books and card games.  That was in 2006, before everyone had smartphones and laptops!

ETA:  For long trips, we try to pack used paperback for books, so that we can just leave them behind wherever we finish them.  So, our load lightens as we go on.

Edited by J-rap
  • Like 5

The person who booked the flights should come entertain the kids. Geez oh pete! :)

Yes, yes, he should.  He is flying in from somewhere else and will arrive at 3 p.m.  I'm like $&(@&((@, why didn't you book me on the 11:00 flight that gets in around 1:30??   

Answer: I didn't want you to miss the 6:30 flight.

Sigh.

Thanks for all the tips everybody. :)  I've looked into the lounges but at $50 * 5, it's a bit out of reach of my budget right now.  We'll be coming in on Jet Blue.

I love the idea of bringing used paperbacks and leaving them as we go. :)   Also, bringing sandwiches and small games!  

• Like 3

Yes, yes, he should. He is flying in from somewhere else and will arrive at 3 p.m. I'm like $&(@&((@, why didn't you book me on the 11:00 flight that gets in around 1:30??

Sigh.

Thanks for all the tips everybody. :) I've looked into the lounges but at $50 * 5, it's a bit out of reach of my budget right now. We'll be coming in on Jet Blue.

I love the idea of bringing used paperbacks and leaving them as we go. :) Also, bringing sandwiches and small games!

That's handy if you can hang out at the play centre in the Jet Blue terminal!

• Like 2

Yes, yes, he should.  He is flying in from somewhere else and will arrive at 3 p.m.  I'm like $&(@&((@, why didn't you book me on the 11:00 flight that gets in around 1:30??   

Sigh.

Thanks for all the tips everybody. :)  I've looked into the lounges but at $50 * 5, it's a bit out of reach of my budget right now.  We'll be coming in on Jet Blue.

I love the idea of bringing used paperbacks and leaving them as we go. :)   Also, bringing sandwiches and small games!  

Jet Blue looks like the best terminal to be stuck at! Their rooftop lounge area is free, unlike the other places, so you can get fresh air while still being within the secure area.

• Like 1

I'd download some entertainment like documentaries on our tablet beforehand and use it intermittently with physical activities like Simon Says or something more age appropriate. People around you will appreciate the orderly physical activities and be less annoyed by that then your dc choosing to be obnoxious because they're bored.

• Like 1

Sigh.

As a former airline employee and former travel agent and someone who had a girlfriend who was an airline flight attendant, I DO NOT LIKE TIGHT CONNECTIONS.  If everything goes perfectly, that's wonderful, and usually that's what happens. But if your first flight is late and you miss your connecting flight, one could be in very deep stuff.   I like to allow time, in case the originating flight is delayed or cancelled.  

In a way, I think his reasoning was very good, that if you were scheduled into JFK at 130 and something went terribly wrong, you would be spending the night(s) in JFK, instead of on your way to your final destination airport.

If there is no Interline Baggage Agreement between JetBlue and the carrier you will fly across the pond with,  that will complicate your trip a little, because you need to claim and then recheck your luggage, in JFK.  

Worse than that, if the Domestic U.S. ticket and the International ticket are not issued in Conjunction, there probably is no reason for either Jet Blue or the other airline to pay for reaccomodating your family on another flight/airline, or putting you up in a hotel and paying for your meals.  

If your international flight involves a Charter or a Group fare or something like that, it would become extremely costly for a large family, very quickly. 

So, I agree with him not wanting you to misconnect.  My family does the same when  making reservations involving connections.

Do you know about "Murphy's Law"? (Whatever can go wrong will go wrong).  Usually everything goes perfectly, but sometimes allowing extra time for unexpected contingencies really pays off.  

If your 2 flights are on airlines that work together, you are in better shape. If your flight from JFK across the pond involves a Charter or Group Fare or something, and you miss it, you would be in deep stuff.

Enjoy your trip!

• Like 2

I agree with storing the luggage and grabbing a train or shuttle to someplace relatively kid friendly.  Or even just someplace where you can take a walk.  Walk a while, stop at a McD's for lunch and potty breaks, walk some more, hop back on the train/shuttle for the airport, and you have just enough time to get checked in, luggage handled, grab a snack and chill out at the gate.  :)

• Like 1

We had a similar layover on our way to Ireland a few years ago.  We didn't have to worry about luggage because we checked it at Dulles.  Because it was the second leg of our trip, we never saw it and didn't have to pick it up at JFK.  We had to lug around our carry-ons, but that wasn't too bad.

We took the subway to Central Park and found places from a Doctor Who episode and had lunch at a pizza place and kind of wandered around NYC a bit before eventually going back to the airport.  While in the airport, we made liberal use of screens for the kids to play on.

So if you don't actually have to pick up your luggage (or can store it at the airport somehow), I'd highly recommend getting out of the airport for a bit.  You'll have to go through security when you come back, but that's a small price to pay for a bit of sanity.

• Like 1

Well, by the time you get deplaned, it could be 9 am or so, then more to get your luggage. If you leave secure area, you might have to check in several hours ahead, so not a lot of free time for actually going someplace. I would stay at airport for fear of missing flights.

I like some of the specific advice you've got about stuff at the airport.

Frankly, I would download new games or videos onto a device. Not sure what is allowed on board now. Phones are ok, not sure about tablet sized though. Won't kids be sleepy after a night flight? If you can get seats, let them sleep.

Not in a million years would I risk going into Manhattan, but Brooklyn Children's Museum is about half an hour away by Uber. My choice would still be to stay at the airport. No ideas about luggage though.

Good luck! The luggage thing is what elevates your wait from inconvenient to awful, imo.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 3

I'd recommend packing a power strip. If you are using devices to kill time, you might need to charge multiple ones, and outlets can be at a premium.

Great idea!

We just got these portable power sources, very light. There are lots of similar products around. Not sure what is allowed on board though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MWU1GGI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is in my cart. Iirc, I found it at he NY Times Sweethome website.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00VH8G1SY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A294P4X9EWVXLJ&psc=1

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

I used to bring bubbles, but nowadays, liquids ban.  Ugh.

A set of small polyhedral dice opens up all kinds of game possibilities.  
I used to bring a few craft supplies to make various toys as we went - things like converting an upside down paper cup into a garage for a Matchbox car, or using origami to make one of those fortune-telling thingies that can also be a puppet if you draw on some eyes.  

Doing a bit of yoga would give you all a good stretch.

A brisk walk to explore the airport will take some time and wear 'em out.  Take the time to look at art pieces, etc.
Have the kids navigate.  Have them figure out what your gate is by looking at the TVs, and how to get there by looking at the signs.  

Good luck!!!

• Like 1

Well, by the time you get deplaned, it could be 9 am or so, then more to get your luggage. If you leave secure area, you might have to check in several hours ahead, so not a lot of free time for actually going someplace. I would stay at airport for fear of missing flights.

I like some of the specific advice you've got about stuff at the airport.

Frankly, I would download new games or videos onto a device. Not sure what is allowed on board now. Phones are ok, not sure about tablet sized though. Won't kids be sleepy after a night flight? If you can get seats, let them sleep.

Not in a million years would I risk going into Manhattan, but Brooklyn Children's Museum is about half an hour away by Uber. My choice would still be to stay at the airport. No ideas about luggage though.

Good luck! The luggage thing is what elevates your wait from inconvenient to awful, imo.

For a big, important international trip, I wouldn't head to Manhattan either.  No, I'd be completely content to pass the time away lazily at the airport, without a stressful thought about making my next connection.

• Like 6

Yes, the other flight is overnight.

Unfortunately, I can't book our luggage through, but may look at storing it just to help with my sanity.

Since you cannot "Interline" your luggage to the final destination airport, your best bet will be IF Jet Blue will allow you to leave it in their baggage claim area, without you claiming it immediately after arrival at JFK.  This risks the possibility that you would not be able to get back into that baggage claim area in mid afternoon, or, that they would have disposed of your luggage, thinking it is suspicious.  Also, you need to go to the  Baggage Claim after arriving in JFK, to, at a minimum, verify that all of your luggage made it with you to JFK.

I doubt that there will be a place where you can pay to store your luggage, after leaving the JetBlue Baggage Claim, for Security reasons, post 9/11.

I agree with others who posted that leaving the airport could be extremely risky. And, if you are going overseas on a Charter or Group fare, missing your flight from JFK could be catastrophic financially. I suggest that you do not leave JFK Airport.

You might go to the JetBlue web site and send them a Message, asking if you can leave your luggage in their Baggage Claim  for approximately 6 hours, without claiming it, and see what kind of response you get from the agent who responds, however, I would pay A LOT MORE attention to the people who are actually working in the office in the JetBlue Baggage Claim where your luggage has been taken, after arrival at JFK.  For Security reasons, unclaimed bags may be sent somewhere, after X number of hours and if that is the case you would fly overseas without your luggage.  

• Like 2

Several people have suggested videos, video games, etc.  But in my experience, if you are flying in the morning, then flying all night, you can't have them just sitting during the layover - that will backfire in the long run when you're trying to get them to sleep on the plane and they haven't expended enough energy to do so.  Keep the electronics for the actual plane - I'd actually put away the electronics for the layover, at least to start with.  You need to run 'em, physically and intellectually.  If there's no kids area per se, perhaps you can grab a corner somewhere to coral them, and play some physical games (Simon Says, etc.).  Look out the windows and see what's happening there.  Walking on "missions" to, say, find the cheapest water bottle available in the terminal can burn some energy.  Perhaps you can come up with some "team challenges" where they can buddy up on a mission.  Or a terminal scavenger hunt - perhaps taking photos of a set list of things to find - things that start with each letter of the alphabet, for example, or get artsy/creative in some way with the item list (think colors, animals, uniforms (not just airline staff), different kinds of airplanes, different kinds of food, different kinds of computers...).  Anything that helps them to really see their environment (with all the obvious safety caveats, of course).  Think of the airport as a classroom or field trip location - what would you have them do to really learn about the airport and all the different functions it serves?  Might even want to read a few books ahead of time about airplanes, flight, airports, and so on so they have some background and a better understanding of what they're seeing.

• Like 14

Several people have suggested videos, video games, etc.  But in my experience, if you are flying in the morning, then flying all night, you can't have them just sitting during the layover - that will backfire in the long run when you're trying to get them to sleep on the plane and they haven't expended enough energy to do so.  Keep the electronics for the actual plane - I'd actually put away the electronics for the layover, at least to start with.  You need to run 'em, physically and intellectually.  If there's no kids area per se, perhaps you can grab a corner somewhere to coral them, and play some physical games (Simon Says, etc.).  Look out the windows and see what's happening there.  Walking on "missions" to, say, find the cheapest water bottle available in the terminal can burn some energy.  Perhaps you can come up with some "team challenges" where they can buddy up on a mission.  Or a terminal scavenger hunt - perhaps taking photos of a set list of things to find - things that start with each letter of the alphabet, for example, or get artsy/creative in some way with the item list (think colors, animals, uniforms (not just airline staff), different kinds of airplanes, different kinds of food, different kinds of computers...).  Anything that helps them to really see their environment (with all the obvious safety caveats, of course).  Think of the airport as a classroom or field trip location - what would you have them do to really learn about the airport and all the different functions it serves?  Might even want to read a few books ahead of time about airplanes, flight, airports, and so on so they have some background and a better understanding of what they're seeing.

LOve your ideas!

Yes you need to burn the energy.   We have even packed a blow up beach ball.  Blow it up and find an empty space to play in.   We normally do Follow the leader and such, but you have better ideas. 

• Like 3

I had to kill 9 hours once at Heathrow with an 18 month-old. Which is definitely easier than 4 kids, but it was after an 11-hour flight and before a 7-hour one. Ugh.

Bring a read aloud. Find a place where you can watch planes take off and land, if possible. Pack a few surprise snacks or small toys (cheap new or used, but new to the kids) that you can pull out at strategic times. A deck of cards is useful. Make sure you can re-charge batteries. While books bought at the airport are not as cheap as used, at least the price is on the cover so it's not 3x expensive like other airport things are. The two oldest kids can go explore stores and gates on their own as long as you remind them not to go out of secure areas. (Show them the exit to baggage claim.) Spend a lot of time at the play area.

The Airspace Lounge is $25/person instead of $50. Description: Entry fees start at just $25 and no membership or long-term commitment is required. Entry includes complimentary espresso, cappuccino, Peet's Coffee and Tea, soft drinks, small snacks and fruit, printing and scanning, use of house computers, Wi-Fi, use of private restrooms and shower facilities, plus a $10 credit to purchase items from AirspaceĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s premium menu including alcoholic beverages.

ETA: That was a cut and paste, I know you don't drink alcoholic beverages.  :laugh:

Edited by idnib
  • Like 3

So I bought the game "Exploding Kittens" and a mini-bop it at Target yesterday.

We'll bring snacks, my auxillary charger, and electronic galore.

Plan to stop at our local used bookstore and library (sells used books) and find 2-3 for each kid (plus me!)

I'm working on missions/mini adventures we can take on the Air Train and such within JFK.

Thank you all for so many wonderful ideas.

• Like 8

Plan to stop at our local used bookstore and library (sells used books) and find 2-3 for each kid (plus me!)

I'm working on missions/mini adventures we can take on the Air Train and such within JFK.

Get the expansion pack, too!
  • Like 1

How about a scavenger hunt?

https://www.thegamegal.com/2013/11/16/airport-scavenger-hunt/

• Like 2

Totally agree with pp that the goal is not to have them sit in well-behaved decorum; it's to get them moving and make them tired.

The Airspace Lounge is $25/person instead of $50. Description: Entry fees start at just $25 and no membership or long-term commitment is required. Entry includes complimentary espresso, cappuccino, Peet's Coffee and Tea, soft drinks, small snacks and fruit, printing and scanning, use of house computers, Wi-Fi, use of private restrooms and shower facilities, plus a $10 credit to purchase items from AirspaceĂ¢â‚¬â„¢s premium menu including alcoholic beverages.

ETA: That was a cut and paste, I know you don't drink alcoholic beverages.  :laugh:

$25/pp for that is well worth it IMO.  Over that much time you'll get at least $10/pp in snack value alone.  And you can leave bags in the lounge -- at least another $2/bag in cash value plus many times that in increased mobility.  And a mid-travel shower???  Ah, bliss.... 

Consider the following: you will eat a big breakfast-like snack, dump the bags, definitely go to the Terminal 5 rooftop play space and make them jump rope / climb stuff; return for a lunch-like snack; go out again and wander around within the security area get a shoe shine (for some reason kids adore shoe shines?).  ...If you can get out of the security area and return to the lounge on your boarding passes I'd consider doing an AirTrain loop around the terminals; just the loop itself will fill up an hour of time.  One of the terminals -- Delta's, I think -- has an art gallery worth a look.  Return to the lounge for showers (ahhhh....) and put the little ones actually into pajamas to help their signaling.  Grab a handful of fruit upon departure for the ongoing flight.  

Really that makes the whole operation immensely more bearable.  I once got an in-airport hotel room for a long oddly timed layover when I was alone with my kids, which was *well* worth it; but this is actually better food- and diversion-wise.

• Like 4

Totally agree with pp that the goal is not to have them sit in well-behaved decorum; it's to get them moving and make them tired.

$25/pp for that is well worth it IMO.  Over that much time you'll get at least $10/pp in snack value alone.  And you can leave bags in the lounge -- at least another $2/bag in cash value plus many times that in increased mobility.  And a mid-travel shower???  Ah, bliss.... 

Consider the following: you will eat a big breakfast-like snack, dump the bags, definitely go to the Terminal 5 rooftop play space and make them jump rope / climb stuff; return for a lunch-like snack; go out again and wander around within the security area get a shoe shine (for some reason kids adore shoe shines?).  ...If you can get out of the security area and return to the lounge on your boarding passes I'd consider doing an AirTrain loop around the terminals; just the loop itself will fill up an hour of time.  One of the terminals -- Delta's, I think -- has an art gallery worth a look.  Return to the lounge for showers (ahhhh....) and put the little ones actually into pajamas to help their signaling.  Grab a handful of fruit upon departure for the ongoing flight.  

Really that makes the whole operation immensely more bearable.  I once got an in-airport hotel room for a long oddly timed layover when I was alone with my kids, which was *well* worth it; but this is actually better food- and diversion-wise.

Or a great reason to get a upper level credit card.  Some of them have free entrance to lounges.   I don't know when you are going, if you have time to apply and get one. 

• Like 1

I printed off a few airport travel busy books on TPT when we were in Boston all day on our way to Zurich in April. The sheets were fun. They had things like "find a red bag", " spot the sater fountain", "how much are drinks from the machines" and that kind of thing. My girls enjoyed it and it killed some time.

• Like 2

Your family might enjoy Sneaky Cards. It says it's for ages 12 and up, but I first learned about it from a 9-year-old challenging me to a duel (rocks, paper, scissors) in the Boston airport while waiting for a flight to Dubai. He and his mother were sharing a table with me.

CHALLENGE YOURSELF TO AN ADVENTURE!

Your mission, should you choose to accept it: become a secret agent of joy, spreading art and intrigue to an unsuspecting public. Inside this box is an interactive scavenger hunt that inspires creativity and rewards audacity: Take a selfie with a stranger, give an anonymous gift, become a flash mob of one.

Complete each objective and then pass the card along to an unwitting accomplice, who now becomes part of the game! The fun is ever-expanding, but it all starts with you - Play it forward!

• Like 2

Your family might enjoy Sneaky Cards. It says it's for ages 12 and up, but I first learned about it from a 9-year-old challenging me to a duel (rocks, paper, scissors) in the Boston airport while waiting for a flight to Dubai. He and his mother were sharing a table with me.

CHALLENGE YOURSELF TO AN ADVENTURE!

Your mission, should you choose to accept it: become a secret agent of joy, spreading art and intrigue to an unsuspecting public. Inside this box is an interactive scavenger hunt that inspires creativity and rewards audacity: Take a selfie with a stranger, give an anonymous gift, become a flash mob of one.

Complete each objective and then pass the card along to an unwitting accomplice, who now becomes part of the game! The fun is ever-expanding, but it all starts with you - Play it forward!

That looks so cool.  I bookmarked it for Christmas giving this year.  Thanks.

• Like 1

Pay for a one day membership to an airline club - the fee might be worth it in snacks alone! Honestly, I'm not sure how many people can go in at one time on a membership, but even if you trade off it might be beneficial. Some of the clubs in heavily traveled international airports even have showers if needed. 

• Like 2

I would stay in the Jet Blue terminal most of the time I needed to wait and then allow 30 to 60 minutes to get to the other terminal. If it's in the right direction for traffic you might get there more quickly. You possibly can search on TripAdvisor for best things to do at JFK. If you are lucky some will be in the Jet Blue terminal.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have not read all posts and am not sure of the ages of your kids. I would try to have them somewhere where they can sleep in the early afternoon before you go to the other terminal to check in and go through Security procedures so they are rested and not cranky. Sit on your luggage and never let it out of your sight. If anyone bothers you scream FIRE! Enjoy your trip!

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 1

Have you checked with the second airline to be sure that you can't check your bags earlier?  Some international flights will let you check bags up to 6 hours in advance.  I know that would still give you several hours of watching the bags, but it would at least reduce the time.

• Like 4

Have you checked with the second airline to be sure that you can't check your bags earlier?  Some international flights will let you check bags up to 6 hours in advance.  I know that would still give you several hours of watching the bags, but it would at least reduce the time.

The problem is that the 2nd airline will not open their Ticket Counter for check in,  until several hours before that particular flight is scheduled to leave JFK. It may be their only flight from JFK that day. That is not uncommon.

We ran into that last year in Orlando (MCO).  We were ready to leave the Timeshare early, after my wife fixed a quick Breakfast, we were all packed up, and it seemed better to head to the airport, stop to get gas for the Rental Car just before entering MCO and return it, and be there in the airport terminal building.

I think our flight was scheduled to Push Back at 437 P.M., but we left early and took off at that time.   The Avianca Ticket Counter did not open until about 1230 Noon.  We staked out space near where the Avianca Ticket Counter would be and camped out there. There were some chairs there.  There were 4 of us, so one person could guard the luggage (2 checked and the carry on stuff) while others wandered off to the rest rooms or to walk around.

If the OP is going to be alone with 4 kids, how they are going to go off to the rest rooms and watch the luggage, I don't know, but I also do not know the ages of her DC. If they are older, they can guard the luggage for awhile.

When we saw a few other passengers waiting for the counter to open, or as the Avianca employees were preparing to open the counter, we got into the line with our stuff and sat on the floor with the other passengers.  Good to wear Jeans!   So, we were among the first to check in, after Avianca began processing passengers for that flight. 

THE BEST CASE here would be if the Jet Blue baggage claim where their bags arrive will be open all that day AND that there are no problems involving luggage that is not claimed within a certain time being disposed of, for Security or other reasons.  The OP needs to discuss that with the Jet Blue Baggage people in that Baggage Claim area, after arrival at JFK.  

Looking back at when we went First Class on a Buy One Get One free promotion with Avianca to Miami, when we checked in in MIA, they gave us passes to a Private Club there. It was very nice for adults, but too long ago for me to remember if they had things for kids to do.  

The Jet Blue Terminal is where I would stay, until just before I needed to go to the other terminal to check in for the international flight. That check in line and going through security  will probably be very  stressful and hopefully the DC will have slept some and not be cranky.   As soon as they get through Security, they should go to the Gate where their aircraft is scheduled to leave from, which is the safest place to be, in any airport.  

• Like 1