Menu

Learning to be frugal again (vent)

Ann.without.an.e

I used to be so good at it.  Now I am not.  How do you lose such a valuable skill? Poof...it is gone and finding the ambition to tighten up on spending is hard.   :crying:   I need to find some mojo in this area.  This is just a vent really.  Commiserate with me, if you wish, or go ahead and tell me that you feed 12 kids on two dollars a month and that I just need to get my act together  :lol:   Respond how you wish, I am mainly just venting.  

• Like 11

I used to be so good at it.  Now I am not.  How do you lose such a valuable skill? Poof...it is gone and finding the ambition to tighten up on spending is hard.   :crying:   I need to find some mojo in this area.  This is just a vent really.  Commiserate with me, if you wish, or go ahead and tell me that you feed 12 kids on two dollars a month and that I just need to get my act together  :lol:   Respond how you wish, I am mainly just venting.  

I find it exceedingly difficult to go BACK to being frugal when I've had a time of not having to be so frugal.  I mean, I don't WANT to skip buying wine this week. Or whatever.  ;)

• Like 15

Going back is soooooooo harrrrrrrrrrrd.  I don't wanna.  I don't wanna.  

A big goal helps.  Posted where you can see it regularly.  On the inside cabinet door of the pantry.  Or anywhere you will see it 5 times a day and keep it right there at the forefront of your mind.  If you really want the goal, then it's more motivating.

• Like 7

I find it exceedingly difficult to go BACK to being frugal when I've had a time of not having to be so frugal.  I mean, I don't WANT to skip buying wine this week. Or whatever.  ;)

Hey, they have cheap wine at Aldi.  Wine can be had, even if the quality has to go down a notch.   :lol:

• Like 7

There's a difference between losing the "skill" and losing the motivation.  It's pretty likely that you know WHAT to do to get back to being frugal, know HOW to go about the business of saving money....what websites to look at, where to cut back, etc.  It's just hard to want to. 

Oh, yes, I actually still have the skill  :mellow:   I just don't want to make the lifestyle changes required.  Kind of like knowing that I can't continue to eat ______ like mad and lose weight.  It is just a choice and I have to suck it up and do it.  Many of life's problems are purely the decisions we make.  I need to make some hard decisions because of some upcoming expenses.  

• Like 8

Oh, yes, I actually still have the skill  :mellow:   I just don't want to make the lifestyle changes required.  Kind of like knowing that I can't continue to eat ______ like mad and lose weight.  It is just a choice and I have to suck it up and do it.  Many of life's problems are purely the decisions we make.  I need to make some hard decisions because of some upcoming expenses.  

I feel your pain.  Dh is going to be off work for at least 2 weeks with this knee replacement.  I have some money put back but we also need to cut back on our spending.  Because at the same time he is having this surgery we are also having work done on our house.

I have never been in an Aldi's...oh wait in OK only liquor stores can sell wine.  

• Like 2

I actually have slipped back into frugality pretty easily. We do still go to movies (a big extravagance, but I only have one kid at home) and out to eat once in a while, but otherwise since starting the business and putting everything back in my habits from college days really picked back up. But then, I was never wildly extravagant with the six figure income we had for many years. Even when we had it I made sure dh's student loans were paid off, and we only ever had two new cars. We did buy all new furniture twice, for two different houses, and travel a good deal when we had the higher income, and I wouldn't take either of those things back. 

I can be happy with little. 

• Like 3

For me the difficulty is TIME.

Being frugal requires time and mental energy; I have so little margin in my life that both are in very short supply.

This is exactly why I am struggling too.  It isn't the sacrifice as much as the time. It used to be a game for me and now I have no time nor energy to play that game.

• Like 5

Being broke sucks and no, it's not fun to suddenly have to live like a broke college kid again, with the habits of an adult and a passel of kids, but without the metabolism and hobbies of a 21 year old.

The strange, and very unexpected thing to me, about some of the products that we have already purchased in the no frills store, and that my wife has tried so far, is that they are not only substantially lower in price than what we normally have purchased, but that some of them, she likes better than what she previously used.   

Lesson learned:  Try other products occasionally. You might like another product better than the one  you are habitually buying and using.  The other product might cost less and be better.  

For us, going to the no frills store is easy, because it is one block or less from the supermarket where we do most of our shopping.

I told my wife this morning, that I believe we will eventually save approximately USD $50 per month, when we know which things we want to buy in the no frills store.  That's not a lot of money, but in one year that is USD$ 600, and that is a lot of $ for our family, living on my retirement income.

ETA: We paid approximately USD $301 for each airline ticket from Cali, Colombia to Orlando FL USA last year, so USD $600 would buy us 2 tickets at that price. That's motivation for us!

Edited by Lanny
  • Like 6

I am generally a frugal person, have to be on one income less than $45,000 a year with a family of 7. But it is hard and sucks sometimes. June and July are always our spendy months and I have yet to figure how to be frugal during these months. I've been struggling to get back into the great habits I've formed over the years to keep our spending at Bay. It has gotten so bad that now I'm focusing on bringing more money in because consistently being as frugal as I always have been just isn't working anymore.

So you are not alone

• Like 8

Yep I am with you we just bought a house Yay!!! for soon being out of the cramped mobile home in park.  

But boo also  because now we have house payments!  We won't even be anywhere near as broke as we were when were young but still just ugh.   

• Like 3

I sympathize. We've had exactly one year in our 40 year marriage where we did not have to pinch pennies until they screamed. But then, dh was fired. We've living on 1/3 of what we were, with kids still in college, and now cancer bills piling up. Ugh.

I use the "like" button to mark what I have and haven't read.  I do not in any way like your post  :(   I am sorry for all that you are going through.

• Like 1

Going back is soooooooo harrrrrrrrrrrd. I don't wanna. I don't wanna.

A big goal helps. Posted where you can see it regularly. On the inside cabinet door of the pantry. Or anywhere you will see it 5 times a day and keep it right there at the forefront of your mind. If you really want the goal, then it's more motivating.

What she said. Going back is very hard, better to not let the lifestyle inflate to begin with. But sometimes it can't be helped, like with medical bills or sudden job loss. Having a big, obvious goal and keeping it visible is really helpful to me. I also tend to ask my myself if every purchase or choice will bring me closer to my goal or drive me farther from it, and that makes choosing to cut a little more "under my control" and thus feel less like hardship.

I either seem to have time OR money, not both.

Right now we have more $$, although we are still trying to watch it, but it is harder.

I don't have time to go to yard sales/thrift stores for everything.  I don't have time to go to 4 different stores for the best bargains.

• Like 5

I am generally a frugal person, have to be on one income less than $45,000 a year with a family of 7. But it is hard and sucks sometimes. June and July are always our spendy months and I have yet to figure how to be frugal during these months. I've been struggling to get back into the great habits I've formed over the years to keep our spending at Bay. It has gotten so bad that now I'm focusing on bringing more money in because consistently being as frugal as I always have been just isn't working anymore.

So you are not alone

Wow amazed at the things you have accomplished on your income this year.   

• Like 2

So you are not alone

Wellll, being frugal is harder as children get older. IME it is easier to bring in extra income than be frugal once your kids get to middle school age. 

• Like 5

Wow amazed at the things you have accomplished on your income this year.

Thank you! Sometimes around this time of year, I forget just how well I've been doing and start getting down about it. Your comment made me reevaluate my successes and realize I've done pretty well so far.

• Like 3

Wellll, being frugal is harder as children get older. IME it is easier to bring in extra income than be frugal once your kids get to middle school age.

My kids are so far from middle school age and I'm so sick of being frugal, ha! But I know that is true.

• Like 3

I hate staying home because the gas money thing is a big drain on our income. Like we decided it's not feasible to enroll ds in a twice a week martial arts class because of the gas (I've been taking him a few weeks as they had a free trial class for homeschoolers this summer). The actual class fee is reasonable.

I've researching all these apps to save money. I guess every bit helps. So in the past week or so dh and I started using ibotta, ebates and I'm toying with the idea of signing up for others like ReceiptPal. One Walmart receipt could be scanned into Savings Catcher, ibotta, and ReceiptPal I think (have to buy qualifying items for ibotta).

• Like 1

I hate staying home because the gas money thing is a big drain on our income. Like we decided it's not feasible to enroll ds in a twice a week martial arts class because of the gas (I've been taking him a few weeks as they had a free trial class for homeschoolers this summer). The actual class fee is reasonable.

I've researching all these apps to save money. I guess every bit helps. So in the past week or so dh and I started using ibotta, ebates and I'm toying with the idea of signing up for others like ReceiptPal. One Walmart receipt could be scanned into Savings Catcher, ibotta, and ReceiptPal I think (have to buy qualifying items for ibotta).

I really like ibotta.  You have to watch buying things you don't normally buy just because of a coupon on it though  :tongue_smilie:

• Like 1

Unless you also still have preschool aged kids...

Any income I brought in would go to child care!

Edited by maize
  • Like 3

I'm in a similiar situation. We paid off the house (ya) and increased spending but then had an income decrease. Anyway, we've never lived it up crazy, still drive old cars, tracphones, no cable tv, yada yada but we've had some lifestyle creep and we need to get it back in line to get our EFund built back up. So, I'm immersing myself in frugal websites and we're working on setting some financial goals for the future.

• Like 2

I keep all the receipts for things that ran over budget up on the wall on a pushpin so that every time I glance up from the computer, there is a reminder that I spent too much money.

I don't get to take any down until I do a big paydown on the credit card (like I'm doing this month because it's a "3 payday month" on my biweekly pay schedule). When I go through them, I consider whether what I spent was worth it. 

All the fast food? Probably not.

My nice new work clothes? probably.

We lived so lean so long I refuse to go overboard on the frugality. Though sometimes I wonder how I run through $50 spending money in a week when I used to have less than that at hand for a month (and that's staying IN budget!). Part of it is food--we almost never ate out and bought groceries with food stamps for years, and most of my "spending" money now goes to food.

• Like 2

We just found out that we're going to have to pay around $1400 for helmets to treat our baby's plageocephaly (it's not covered by insurance, which is just crazy). And we have to make a 5 hour round trip once per week to the nearest clinic for the next nine weeks or more to have the helmet adjusted.

The upfront expense.

The gas.

The eating out while we make each trip.

The time!

And we are closing on our house in two weeks, so the amount of extra money we will have after bills, food budget, etc each month will be something like $300. That might seem like a lot to some of you, but it makes me tremble because that's so close to the edge...I mean, if I'm underestimating our utilities or gas or whatever, we could go into the red. How will we afford a car payment when our current car with 150k miles dies?

• Like 3

I keep all the receipts for things that ran over budget up on the wall on a pushpin so that every time I glance up from the computer, there is a reminder that I spent too much money.

I don't get to take any down until I do a big paydown on the credit card (like I'm doing this month because it's a "3 payday month" on my biweekly pay schedule). When I go through them, I consider whether what I spent was worth it. 

All the fast food? Probably not.

My nice new work clothes? probably.

We lived so lean so long I refuse to go overboard on the frugality. Though sometimes I wonder how I run through $50 spending money in a week when I used to have less than that at hand for a month (and that's staying IN budget!). Part of it is food--we almost never ate out and bought groceries with food stamps for years, and most of my "spending" money now goes to food.

I really like that idea.  I really want to examine my overages more instead of just saying heck, that credit card bill is high this month and just pay it without figuring out WHY.   Thanks for the idea. 

• Like 2

I think it's hard to be in self-denial mode in summer, at least here, at least for me. It's easy to jump into frugal mode in January with the weight of Christmas bills but also with cold, dark, short days and not much to do. After 9 months of colder and wetter than normal weather, we just want to live and enjoy! Go see a baseball game ($50), pick as many blueberries as we want to eat and freeze for the year ($63 so far), go to a soccer tournament and stay in a hotel to reduce driving, get the growth spurt kid new clothes for school, etc! Frugality is hard.

• Like 2

We just found out that we're going to have to pay around $1400 for helmets to treat our baby's plageocephaly (it's not covered by insurance, which is just crazy). And we have to make a 5 hour round trip once per week to the nearest clinic for the next nine weeks or more to have the helmet adjusted.

The upfront expense.

The gas.

The time!

And we are closing on our house in two weeks, so the amount of extra money we will have after bills, food budget, etc each month will be something like $300. That might seem like a lot to some of you, but it makes me tremble because that's so close to the edge...I mean, if I'm underestimating our utilities or gas or whatever, we could go into the red. How will we afford a car payment when our current car with 150k miles dies?

Is there any chance you have the ability to get a flexible spending account through an employer? We ended up opting in one this past year and didn't even realize it. Some money came out of each of dh's paychecks pre tax and we're entitled to that much back for out of pocket expenses. It includes a lot. I took receipts for eyeglasses, dental (we have dental insurance but there was a fee) and misc. doctor appointments. Dd had plagio and I looked into helmet vs. no helmet with physical therapy/re-positioning. Well it turned out that the helmet solution was non applicable to her particular head shape issue. Maybe you can either avoid the helmet or do some type of exercises or re-positioning in conjunction (you may already be doing that). Dd also had torticollis, though. I was told to position her differently for diaper changes, be mindful of how I held her during feeds, etc. Because of the tax free thing we're basically earning money back. Good luck, the driving and adjustments and all sound really challenging.

• Like 3

The upfront expense.

The gas.

The time!

Oh I like the idea of an Flexible Spending Account.  Do you have one?

Are you in a home now?  Or do you rent?   Maybe you will get a tax refund for owning the house?  

Do you get a tax refund? 

Maybe adjust your paycheck so you are not getting one.

Will your income go up at all?  Can you start earning more money now?  A side job?  

Can you sell things? 

Can you go over your budget and cut things?  Can you attack bills you have?  Grocery?  Insurance?  Cut things off like cable?  

• Like 1

For special occasions or when plain water just isn't cutting it, here's another easy "lemonade" recipe perfect for hot summer days:

In a 2 qt pitcher, Mix

2 tsp (10gr) citric acid*

2/3 c. sugar

Fill pitcher with cold water and chill. 

Optionally add some washed and sliced strawberries (we get from the garden) and let macerate for a day for Strawberry Lemonade--this gets rave reviews from guests and family.  I'll be experimenting with adding raspberries later this month....

*citric acid has been around since the 900's and is made from lemon peel.  While we can buy it for cheap at a local store (in Europe), friends buy it by the pound from Amazon. This seems like a good deal:   https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OZFECU?psc=1    Plus, citric acid has many other uses!  Just check out Amazon Reviews and Google....

• Like 1

Is there any chance you have the ability to get a flexible spending account through an employer? We ended up opting in one this past year and didn't even realize it. Some money came out of each of dh's paychecks pre tax and we're entitled to that much back for out of pocket expenses. It includes a lot. I took receipts for eyeglasses, dental (we have dental insurance but there was a fee) and misc. doctor appointments. Dd had plagio and I looked into helmet vs. no helmet with physical therapy/re-positioning. Well it turned out that the helmet solution was non applicable to her particular head shape issue. Maybe you can either avoid the helmet or do some type of exercises or re-positioning in conjunction (you may already be doing that). Dd also had torticollis, though. I was told to position her differently for diaper changes, be mindful of how I held her during feeds, etc. Because of the tax free thing we're basically earning money back. Good luck, the driving and adjustments and all sound really challenging.

I'll look into that, thank you!

Unfortunately, she has severe plageocephaly and mild brachiocephaly, so we've been doing exercises and re positioning but it hasn't been enough. We're lucky that we will be able to afford the up front costs, it's just that things will be tight. We are considering selling some of our retirement mutual funds so that we have more of a cushion.

• Like 1

Oh I like the idea of an Flexible Spending Account. Do you have one?

Are you in a home now? Or do you rent? Maybe you will get a tax refund for owning the house?

Do you get a tax refund?

Maybe adjust your paycheck so you are not getting one.

Will your income go up at all? Can you start earning more money now? A side job?

Can you sell things?

Can you go over your budget and cut things? Can you attack bills you have? Grocery? Insurance? Cut things off like cable?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I'm currently selling my breast milk...so if anyone here needs extra milk for their baby, let me know. Ha. I'm selling it for $2/ounce plus the cost of shipping. I just sold 50 oz and I have 1500 oz more in the freezer.

We currently rent, but hopefully we will get some taxes back next year by owning the house. We don't have withholding on his pay. He is supposed to get a small raise but we won't know how much until next month. I'll look into babysitting and other small jobs.

We don't have cable, etc. But I should go in and see if there's any way to lower our car insurance.

• Like 2

I'll look into that, thank you!

Unfortunately, she has severe plageocephaly and mild brachiocephaly, so we've been doing exercises and re positioning but it hasn't been enough. We're lucky that we will be able to afford the up front costs, it's just that things will be tight. We are considering selling some of our retirement mutual funds so that we have more of a cushion.

Not sure what kind of retirement fund you are selling, but make sure you know the tax implications of that before you do it. 

• Like 2

I looked at the prices today of Girasol cooking oil and Canola oil in the supermarket today. We bought the store brand of those in the no frills store last Saturday. Just on those 2 items I am sure that we saved USD $5 or more. I can't imagine the quality of a name brand product is 2 or 3 times better than the product in the no frills store. Much of the price difference is probably for Marketing.

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I feel your pain.  Dh is going to be off work for at least 2 weeks with this knee replacement.  I have some money put back but we also need to cut back on our spending.  Because at the same time he is having this surgery we are also having work done on our house.

I have never been in an Aldi's...oh wait in OK only liquor stores can sell wine.  

You should try Aldi even without the wine.  I spent a whole weekend checking every store in the area when we moved down there.  Aldi's prices were about 1/3 of Reasor's and 1/2 of Walmart's. Other local chains fell somewhere between Reasor's & Walmart.  We still drove into Tulsa to Sam's Club for things like chicken and frozen veggies, but for everyday staples Aldi was worth it, even if the lines are long. 

Another thing we did is use Bountiful Baskets down there for produce - the prices were the same as Aldi but the quality & variety was generally better.  Don't bother in summer though, the trucks aren't refrigerated and everything is wilted until probably October.  The rest of the year it's awesome, but there is some trouble with the schedules - sometimes trucks get delayed a few hours, so your pickup is delayed, etc.  If you have a free hour or two you get first choice and extra stuff for volunteering for them too.

• Like 2

Hey, they have cheap wine at Aldi.  Wine can be had, even if the quality has to go down a notch.   :lol:

:iagree:  This is deep -- should be on a poster.

Really wealthy people can be some of the tightest. My husband and I once visited a super fancy Ritz-Carlton -- a top shelf hotel in their collection. The next night we stayed in a nearby hotel that was plenty nice, but wasn't a five-star.

We joked that the true millionaires were all in the cheaper hotel and those who likely couldn't afford it were in the Ritz!! Huge generalization but you see my point.

I have a good friend who spends money like water. Then complains, then spends, then complains, then spends. It's something to watch. And she often suggests activities that would have me spending $100 for the day. Um, no. I don't have that to just throw around.

I get a kick out of finding various ways to save. (When my kids were little I'd get a load of Xmas books out of the library, wrap them in Xmas paper and let the kids pick one book out each night. They were Xmas oriented. We had a nice picture book collection so when the "presents" went back to the library, they didn't mind. I let them know what we were doing and they loved it.

Alley

• Like 2

Follow on: I think my wife has used about 3 of the 4 kilos of laundry detergent we bought in the no frills store where they sell their own brands out of cartons. She wants to try their other detergent next time. I think it costs about 25% more but has something additional for the colors to clean better. If that's OK it will still be much less than FAB Detergent. She said everything smells clean but the things are not as clean as with FAB

Sent from my SM-G355M using Tapatalk

• Like 1