Menu

Just for fun - what food do you hate that it seems like everybody else loves?

VaKim

I'm curious.  Do you (or have you always) lived in the USA?  The reason I'm asking is because a friend of mine adopted internationally and the children that were adopted at older ages never developed a taste for sweets. The child that was adopted younger (2ish) absolutely loves sweets despite not eating many until after his adoption and subsequent moving to the states.  

I'm not who you asked, but I'm similar - since birth - and my youngest son likes even fewer sweets than I do (again, since birth).  We're all US citizens bred and born here.

My other two kids like all sorts of sweets.  We figure they got hubby's genes as he likes them too.

For me, most donuts are repulsive.  When I was young I liked none.  Now I can eat some plain ones, but things like Krispy Kremes are awful - anything glazed is awful.  I can eat some pies, but don't get cravings for them.  I can eat most cakes, but don't want more than a little bit before they become overwhelming.  Youngest son doesn't like any donuts or pies (except chicken pot pie!) and very few cakes.

We used to look weird in restaurants when having dessert considering we'd buy it for our older two but not youngest. We'd get chided a bit until he was old enough to speak for himself.  Many waitresses who didn't know us thought we were cruel. Some brought him one feeling sorry for him - telling us it was on the house... then were surprised when he wouldn't touch it.  His brothers liked those times as they got to eat extra.  The lad liked bread of all types.  Bring him bread - whole wheat or some sort of grain over white, but a good white would be ok if there was butter.  Most fruits were good too - just not bananas.  You know how they recommend starting kids eating solid foods with bananas?  Not him!

Interestingly enough, the lad loves raw lemons - from youth and still does in his early 20s.  I don't.

Olives. They are foul and ruin anything they are in, even if they are picked out the left behind juice taints the dish.

Ketchup has always been pretty meh for me, even as a kid.

Oh, boiled peanuts are horrendous. The foulest texture e.v.e.r.

A girlfriend and I went out and we each got Greek salads with chicken. My girlfriend said no olives on hers...at all...no where near her meal. She told the waitress that if the kitchen makes a mistake and puts them on her salad, then takes them off, she will taste it...so don't try it.

She actually freaked the waitress out so much they didn't even put olives on MY SALAD!

:lol:

I asked for some olives...I mean, what is a Greek salad without olives!

• Like 2

I need an explanation.

The biggest offender is undercooked frozen green beans. Now, I grew up in the South on canned Blue Lake green beans, so my "undercooked" is probably different than many, but these squeak on my teeth when I eat them. There was also a particular type of Italian salad dressing that made the salad squeak, but I don't remember the exact brand (it was pouch at a fast food restaurant).

Crunch is great, squeak is not.

* Chocolate and mint mixed together - both good separate but to me it's like mixing peanut butter with curry

* Ketchup

* anything with "natural flavour" - it smells sooooo fake to me. Did you all know that "natural flavour" is just added scent chemicals that are naturally derived?

* commercial icing

* coconut

* papaya - aka soap fruit

Edited by Rose M

The biggest offender is undercooked frozen green beans. Now, I grew up in the South on canned Blue Lake green beans, so my "undercooked" is probably different than many, but these squeak on my teeth when I eat them. There was also a particular type of Italian salad dressing that made the salad squeak, but I don't remember the exact brand (it was pouch at a fast food restaurant).

This is hilarious. I don't like squeaky green beans either, but I also love them still a little crunchy. The secret is to add a little oil or butter and that takes care of the squeak.

I know exactly what you are talking about. Makes me queasy just thinking about it - especially with beans!

I haven't been a meat-eater for over 20 years, but growing up & the adult years I did eat meat, I always hated meatloaf. Any & all kinds. Something about the baking of beef made it taste really weird, imo.

ETA: And shrimp. Texture, smell, just all of it. Ugh. I don't even like to be in places where shrimp is being cooked because I find the smell so horrible.

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 1

I'm curious.  Do you (or have you always) lived in the USA?  The reason I'm asking is because a friend of mine adopted internationally and the children that were adopted at older ages never developed a taste for sweets. The child that was adopted younger (2ish) absolutely loves sweets despite not eating many until after his adoption and subsequent moving to the states.  

I was born here in the US and have never lived anywhere else.

I guess in all honesty I can't say I hate sweets, I just have almost no desire to eat them. When I was growing up my mom loved to bake and we always had a cake or a pie on hand. And I ate plenty. When I got to be about 25 and decided to do something about the extra weight I was carrying I really started paying attention to what foods I actually liked, what I was eating just out of habit and how particular foods made me feel after eating them. And I realized I was eating sweets simply from habit and that eating them didn't make me feel very good. So I stopped. And found I rarely/never had a craving for them. That was almost thirty years ago.

CILANTRO!!! (aka coriander)

I'm one of the lucky 10% of the human race with the genetic disposition to taste cilantro as soap.

(Yes, that's a real thing. You can google it if you want to know more.)

Edited by Kinsa

CILANTRO!!!

I'm one of the lucky 10% of the human race with the genetic disposition to taste cilantro as soap.

My dd seems to have that which is too bad because I love cilantro & would love to cook with it. (Instead, I just add it to my own dish afterward.)

As a transplant to the South, the list is long...

- Collard greens. Don't care how wonderful your recipe. (Also mustard greens and turnip greens.)

- Chicken fried steak.

- Catfish. Tastes like bottom fish. Oh, it is!

- Green beans put on to boil an hour before you plan to serve them.

- Boiled peanuts. Yuck.

- Brown gravy. Not gravy made from real meat, but some icky gooey thing.

- Black-eyed peas.

- Butter beans.

- Mustard-based BBQ. (A South Carolina specialty.)

- Okra, with the exception of really excellent gumbo.

- Chitlins. (let's see, how can we use hog intestines? Oh, let's fry them and make them crunchy!)

- Hush puppies (except one time at this great place in Charleston. But most - too greasy.)

- Squirrel. Not sure how it tastes, just the thought, though...

- And the classic - baked mac and cheese. Turns out I really don't like goopy pasta casseroles.

Now, there are a few Southern dishes I like - shrimp and grits (although it depends on the gravy), BBQ (tomato-based), buttermilk biscuits, pecan pie, and crab cakes.

• Like 5

Running out of time to read the response, and they are so fun!

Restricted to things that seem to be "popular" or pretty standard:

avocado

smoothies (milkshakes are good, but nothing with yogurt, bananas, or a non-dessert!!!)

greens--I like a few okay in the right context, but too many, and they taste like soap or give me runs (that could mean eating a fraction of a serving on consecutive days)

things with lots of ingredients (there is a fine line from enhancing flavor to "my taste buds/texture sensors are like a kid on a sugar binge--give me all of it")

Ranch anything 

melon

squashes (one can be great, and the next one just gross, even when they come from the same stinking plant and are prepared by the same person in the same way!)

I used to have major smell and texture issues. I have some texture issues now, but not like before.

Many of your lists sound delicious to me (especially all the fresh fruit...)

I have a lot of snack foods I don't like. I buy them for the kids so I won't be tempted. ;)

goldfish crackers

pretzels

cheez-its

Also don't understand the appeal of ice cream cake. Love ice cream. Love cake. Why the worst of both worlds? Somehow this surprises my family over and over. :)

LOL, I'm pretty sure tripe is on my NO list, but I don't think it qualifies as something 'everybody else loves'.  I think we can be in agreement that it is YUK. :lol:   Unless there are a lot of closet tripe-lovers in America?  Organ meat in general is not tops on my list...  liver is good if you make it into liverwurst or patĂƒÂ©, but alone, not a fan.  But at least here in America (I'm guessing France and some other countries might have a different opinion), I think I side with the majority that organs are not tasty treats. ;)  Ditto haggis and snails.

There is at least ONE :D

I told my wife and son that while they were away that I was going to make a big pot of tripe to enjoy all by myself (or with my favorite neighbor lady who appreciates a delicacy when she sees one). 

I adore tripe (onions, avocados, olives, feta cheese....).

Not a fan of mayonnaise-based salads, jello, or (for some reason) cellophane noodles.

Bill

• Like 1

Many of your lists sound delicious to me (especially all the fresh fruit...)

I have a lot of snack foods I don't like. ...

goldfish crackers

cheez-its

Ditto on what I copied.  I don't know how I forgot the pretend cheese cracker thingies.  They're awful.  I wouldn't even buy them for my kids, but they got them elsewhere.

I love real cheese and cheese on normal varieties of crackers.  I even like cheese popcorn and fluffy cheese curls (not the dense varieties).  But I can't stand any sort of cheese flavored cracker.

But most of these lists sound delicious.

This whole thread has gotten me wondering just what would happen at a huge Hive Pot Luck.  Nothing grosses me out as long as "I" don't have to eat it.  Indulge in your cheez-its, twizzlers, donuts, olives, coffee, shellfish, sushi, or whatever.  I can't fathom just having foods around being a problem.  Actually eating them is a whole different situation.  I'm guessing the more sensitive among us don't eat out considering the table right next to yours could have a different palate? 

I think the only food that particularly grosses me out is avocado. I can't stand how fleshy and mushy it is when it's in wedges, and guacamole itself is nasty. In like 10 minutes it starts to turn an awful grayish-brownish color.

<<shudder>>

And we pay an extra 75 cents apiece each week to get extra home-made guacamole on our taco salads every Thursday... that stuff is so delicious!  The whole taco salad is delicious - coming from a local Mexican place - chorizo, beans, rice, sour cream, lettuce, their salsa concoction, probably an item or two I'm forgetting, and the most tasty shell ever made.  Adding guacamole to it makes my mouth water just thinking about it.  I usually save a little bit of pure guacamole for my dessert - eaten right before we head to a different section of the market for home made soft pretzel sticks. 

There's a reason we eat there every single Thursday we're home... and went there again today because middle son had missed out on our lunch Thursday while he worked.

You eat the sweets... pass me the guacamole.  If our choices are between birthday cake and a good guacamole... we're set!  ;)

• Like 3

I think the only food that particularly grosses me out is avocado. I can't stand how fleshy and mushy it is when it's in wedges, and guacamole itself is nasty. In like 10 minutes it starts to turn an awful grayish-brownish color.

<<shudder>>

I have a great recipe for avocado chocolate mousse.....want it?

• Like 1

I'm curious. Do you (or have you always) lived in the USA? The reason I'm asking is because a friend of mine adopted internationally and the children that were adopted at older ages never developed a taste for sweets. The child that was adopted younger (2ish) absolutely loves sweets despite not eating many until after his adoption and subsequent moving to the states.

My son has always lived in the US, but never developed a taste for sweets. In fact, he thinks most fruits are too sweet. But he was raised without very many sweets which would have been impossible to do had we lived near family. It wasn't that they were rationed or he was denied them, we just rarely had them around. And he just was not really interested in them when we were with friends or relatives or at stores or restaurants, despite not being a picky eater at all.

Hummus

Cheesecake

Chickpeas

Most beans

Cornbread

Tea

Dr.pepper

Portabello mushrooms

Seafood

Hominy (pure evil and I dont think most people love it)

Licorice (also pure evil)

Rosemary (recycled christmas trees)

Raspberries

I'm starting to not like chicken and I dont know why.

Eta: Vanilla. I usually halve it in recipes or leave it out.

Edited by MaeFlowers

Chicken parm and eggplant parm. Breaded plus tomato sauce and cheese is just mush texture. Skip both and have a nice chicken cordon blu instead.

- Collard greens. Don't care how wonderful your recipe. (Also mustard greens and turnip greens.)

- Chicken fried steak.

- Boiled peanuts. Yuck.

- Black-eyed peas.

- Butter beans.

- Chitlins. (let's see, how can we use hog intestines? Oh, let's fry them and make them crunchy!)

- Hush puppies (except one time at this great place in Charleston. But most - too greasy.)

- And the classic - baked mac and cheese. Turns out I really don't like goopy pasta casseroles.

Now, there are a few Southern dishes I like - shrimp and grits (although it depends on the gravy), BBQ (tomato-based), buttermilk biscuits, pecan pie, and crab cakes.

Having never lived in or visited the south, I don't think I've ever even tried the majority of foods on your list.

I feel so bad for you. Cilantro is one of my top favorite foods. I still vividly remember the first time I ever tasted it.

These are fun to read and reminded me of a few to add to my list:

Pumpkin anything

Those glossy fruit tart thingys sold at fancy bakeries

Iced coffee and cold coffee beverages (just no!!)

Starbucks - add me to to the "tastes burnt" list

Anthing coffee flavored (but I love coffee)

Sour candy - DH loves them but my mouth puckers just thinking about it!

Anything with Cajun spices

Edited by tdbates78

You know what's refreshing to me about this list? I've never acknowledged publicly that I hate avocados up until now. I felt weird that I didn't love them when it seemed like everyone else in the world thinks they're amazing. I even convinced myself that I don't *prefer avocados*. But the truth is, I hate them. And now, thanks to this thread, I  feel free and empowered enough to say it. And I now know I'm not weird. Weird are the people who don't like coffee and chocolate, lol. 

• Like 10

Having never lived in or visited the south, I don't think I've ever even tried the majority of foods on your list.

Ok, to be fair, I don't really think squirrel is commonly served in the South. :huh: Not even uncommonly served.

Yes, I think some eat it but not very many people; if so, it is in fairly rural areas. It's not something widely available in stores or restaurants.

I was born in the South & though I have moved many times in my life, I have lived mostly in Southern areas, some rural. I've never in my life been offered squirrel as a food nor have I seen anyone eating it.

• Like 2

Tomato slices or wedges (I can handle chopped tomatoes in things like salsa, guacamole, etc)

Potato salad and egg salad (but I love tuna salad and chicken salad)

Baked beans

Deviled eggs

Steak

Barbecue sauce (but I love BBQ with rubs and where you can choose your own sauce instead of the disgusting to me tomato based ones)

Ketchup on a hot dog

Coffee and beer

That's funny; me too. I am not anti-ketchup on the whole but NO to ketchup on a hot dog.

When I was a kid, my mother loved to make this redneck casserole she called Red Capped Franks. It was ketchup-topped hotdogs lined up on a bed of macaroni and cheese. Ă°Å¸â„¢Å  I can barely think about that dish without my stomach tightening up.

• Like 1

I have to put quinoa on my list.

I'm vegetarian & wanted to like it as something to help bulk up vegetable dishes & such. I've given it a really fair try over the past two years or so, making it various times & various ways; tried it in restaurants in different dishes. And, yet, it's never good. I made the decision earlier today to get rid of the unused quinoa from my pantry. :lol:  No more quinoa!

• Like 2

- Chicken fried steak.

- Boiled peanuts. Yuck.

- Black-eyed peas.

- Butter beans.

LOL, I grew up in NC and have honestly never been offered either chitlins or squirrel in my 50+ years, though I'm sure I have family and friends who eat or have eaten both. I'll take vinegar-based over tomato or mustard bbq sauce any day. ;)

I'm with you on okra, greens, boiled peanuts, black-eyed peas, butter beans, and catfish. I'd rather have country-style steak than chicken-fried, which was never a big thing in our area, and tend to limit my fish to something really mild like flounder.

As to gravy, I was expecting to see sausage gravy or red-eye gravy.

• Like 2

A girlfriend and I went out and we each got Greek salads with chicken. My girlfriend said no olives on hers...at all...no where near her meal. She told the waitress that if the kitchen makes a mistake and puts them on her salad, then takes them off, she will taste it...so don't try it.

She actually freaked the waitress out so much they didn't even put olives on MY SALAD!

:lol:

I asked for some olives...I mean, what is a Greek salad without olives!

I love this story, because I would be so happy if this happened to me re: mayonnaise. Like, if the situation was the same, but we were both ordering a Turkey Club Sandwich and I terrified the server so much that neither sandwich had mayo on it. Because I honestly really wish that would happen. I hate it so much it's actually difficult to share a meal with someone heartily enjoying mayonnaise.

I'm actually very skeptical about ordering sandwiches out because I do not trust people to not put mayo on out of habit. And at deli counters, they will cut the sandwich with that same knife with which they have been cutting everyone else's mayonaissy sandwiches...that's gonna be a NO for me...

• Like 2

I have to put quinoa on my list.

I'm vegetarian & wanted to like it as something to help bulk up vegetable dishes & such. I've given it a really fair try over the past two years or so, making it various times & various ways; tried it in restaurants in different dishes. And, yet, it's never good. I made the decision earlier today to get rid of the unused quinoa from my pantry. :lol:  No more quinoa!

I wanted to like it too. Tried it many times, was careful to rinse it well first, etc. Nope. tastes weird to me...bitter and almost soapy. 

SaveSave

• Like 1

I love this story, because I would be so happy if this happened to me re: mayonnaise. Like, if the situation was the same, but we were both ordering a Turkey Club Sandwich and I terrified the server so much that neither sandwich had mayo on it. Because I honestly really wish that would happen. I hate it so much it's actually difficult to share a meal with someone heartily enjoying mayonnaise.

I'm actually very skeptical about ordering sandwiches out because I do not trust people to not put mayo on out of habit. And at deli counters, they will cut the sandwich with that same knife with which they have been cutting everyone else's mayonaissy sandwiches...that's gonna be a NO for me...

I can't stand Mayo and I can't even count how many times they get it wrong and put it on my sandwiches. Once a deli employee told me to just wipe it off. Ummmm no! It soaks in the bun and the taste is impossible to get rid of. I can't even stand the look or smell of it. Edited by tdbates78
  • Like 3

For those of you who hate okra, where did you eat it and how was it cooked?

I'm curious because I can eat my weight in homemade okra but wont touch it in a restaurant. There is a huge difference in the consistancy and taste of homemade.

Fried, stewed, pickled, raw with dip, in soup, with tomatoes, curried, homemade, in a restaurant, etc, etc.  Okra grows really well around here and I tried to find *some* way to eat it when we got it in our CSA box. I managed it with eggplant (another non-favorite), but I can't make okra be food.

I can force myself to tolerate a single well-breaded deep-fried pretty thin piece used to hold a bunch of ketchup on the fork, but that's it and it's still fairly nasty. At that point, it ceases to be a vegetable, so I might as well have a (well-cooked ;) French-style) green bean.

That would be a hard one to avoid in San Antonio!

That's funny; me too. I am not anti-ketchup on the whole but NO to ketchup on a hot dog.

When I was a kid, my mother loved to make this redneck casserole she called Red Capped Franks. It was ketchup-topped hotdogs lined up on a bed of macaroni and cheese. Ă°Å¸â„¢Å  I can barely think about that dish without my stomach tightening up.

I grew up eating ketchup on my mac n cheese. To this day, it's a comfort food.

• Like 1

I can't eat oatmeal or grits. It's a texture thing. I was at camp once when I was a kid and oatmeal was served for breakfast. The staff member assigned to my table wouldn't let me leave to attend camp activities until I ate it. I don't think I've gagged that much ever! (And I don't recall finishing it. The adult may have taken pity on me when I was halfway through.)