Menu

I'm addicted to coleslaw

SparklyUnicorn

Me too! My base dressing is Duke's mayo, a splash of acid (red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, and/or lemon/lime), ground celery seed, and granulated onion.

Freshly shredded cabbage tastes so much better than the bagged mix, and a head of cabbage goes a long way. I use a knife, and it takes no time.

• Like 1

I make VATS of coleslaw for the restaurant every day this time of year. I didn't care for it previously, but it's grown on me. My grandmother used to put coleslaw in her Jello salad, so that had turned me off. But I like it a lot, now.

Oh. My.

• Like 4

I bought an interesting mix of stuff at WF last week. It had cabbage, kale, carrots, beets, etc. I thought the beets would be interesting. I used my usual slaw dressing. SO GOOD.

Aren't beets high in carbs? I love them in salads, but unless I'm at a restaurant and can order just one salad, I don't keep them at home bc of carb count.

• Like 1

Aren't beets high in carbs? I love them in salads, but unless I'm at a restaurant and can order just one salad, I don't keep them at home bc of carb count.

Yep.  There wasn't much in it.  It was finely shredded and maybe 1/4 a cup in the entire container.  Just that tiny bit was an interesting flavor though.

Only thing is there were a lot of kale stems.  Some of those stems are as hard as freaking tree bark.  I hate that.  I need to buy kale and do it myself.  It's just nice to have some convenience once in awhile!

Have you tried freezing it? I saw a recipe for freezer coleslaw where it seemed you just made a ton and froze the remainder (duh), but wouldn't it come out a mushy, gross mess?

In order to experiment with thus you would need leftover coleslaw, so we may never know.

• Like 2

Have you tried freezing it? I saw a recipe for freezer coleslaw where it seemed you just made a ton and froze the remainder (duh), but wouldn't it come out a mushy, gross mess?

In order to experiment with thus you would need leftover coleslaw, so we may never know.

I have never tried it.

It's not that hard to make so I don't really feel the need.

I wonder if I can freeze fathead dough, but that's another discussion. 

Easiest cole slaw ever:  

Package of shredded cabbage and carrots + Ken's Lite Apple Cider Vinaigrette dressing (it's creamy!) and some celery seed and black pepper added to taste.  Let refrigerate at least an hour or 2.  My favorite.

The dressing has a little more sugar than I would like, but if you keep your serving size to the one on the bottle it's not terrible.

• Like 2

I made a cumin lime coleslaw the other night--the first time I've ever made coleslaw! It was soooooo good and easy, and delicious the next day on top of salad greens. I served it with shrimp tacos.

Mmmm!  Might need a recipe for this one!

• Like 2

I love coleslaw, but I make it in the style of my beloved grandmother (of memory) who made it almost daily.

Her coleslaw was in the German style. Definitely NO MAYO! Yuck.

She (and I) use(d) olive oil, a little salt, a pinch of sugar, and apple cider vinegar. Grind of black pepper.

There might (or might not) be additional ingredients beyond thinly sliced cabbage, such as grated apple, grated carrot, or diced sweet peppers.

Sometimes I add caraway seeds. 

I still use the old carbon-steel knife that my Grandmother used to cut the slaw. Her dressing was my first collected "recipe" as a child, and was one of the first items I learned to make myself.

There is no single food item that has as much resonance in terms of family, remembrance, and nostalgia as my Grandmother's coleslaw. It is a staple in my home, and I always think of my Grandmother and my Father when I make it.

Bill

• Like 6

Me too! My base dressing is Duke's mayo, a splash of acid (red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, and/or lemon/lime), ground celery seed, and granulated onion.

Freshly shredded cabbage tastes so much better than the bagged mix, and a head of cabbage goes a long way. I use a knife, and it takes no time.

Oh my gosh I miss Duke's mayo. I've bee out of the south a long time and cannot get it here. I STILL miss it :)

• Like 1

I like a variety of coleslaws, and make mine with a combination of ingredients like listed above. 

But one of my favorite ways to eat coleslaw.....

Grill a salmon burger with some bbq sauce, Toast a good roll.  Place the salmon on the roll and top with coleslaw.  YuMMMMMMM :drool5:

• Like 2