Menu

Reassure my daughter: boys' shorts

MercyA

the glitzing idea sounds fun either way

See I had the opposite problem.  My mother wanted a frilly girly girl.  I wasn't that girl and didn't want to wear that shi*.  She kept buying it anyway.  SHE would have probably rejected to buy those for the simple fact they weren't in the girl's department (and not pink).  Oy...

• Like 4

Oh I wouldn't force her to wear them. And I don't care at all what other people wear.

But, I also wouldn't invest hours of shopping around because they're 'too boyish'. Fit, functional, nice enough? That'll do.

• Like 1

Mercy, maybe next time you buy it online, have her try them on without telling her where they came from, then return them to the store if they don't work?

I did have her try them on first and she liked them, but she was horrified when I told her they were from the boys' section. I didn't want her to find out later and feel that I had deceived her. I tried to explain, logically, why it didn't matter what section they were from, but she wasn't having it. She doesn't mind the plainness, or the fit, or how they look. It's just that they are *boy* shorts.  :)

I told her I'd get your opinions and she liked the idea. I really appreciate all of the input, and I know she will, too.

If some people would immediately identify them as boys' shorts, I know she will not be comfortable wearing them. (It wouldn't bother me if she were okay with it.)

I don't force her to wear clothes she's not comfortable in. Kids can't control a lot of things in their lives, and I want her to feel good about what she's wearing. We have the luxury of letting her make those choices, which a lot of people don't.  :( Mostly we buy in thrift shops, resale shops, and on eBay, but I can splurge (usually with coupons!) for essential items if need be.

I have five pairs of shorts like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Faded-Glory-girls-bermuda-denim-blue-shorts-size-6-6X-new-with-tags-/132217232203?hash=item1ec8c2db4b:g:O6YAAOSwlndZDjNC

put away for next year because they are too big in the waist. I'll ask my mom to take in the waist so she can wear them this summer. 

I can take back all of the shorts except one pair I already washed. Anyone want the H&M pair in a size 10/11?  :)

This is all a bit new to me; she's worn mostly skirts and dresses and leggings until recently, so thank you all for being such a help!!!

ETA: And thanks for all the links! I love "window shopping" online and appreciate all the great ideas. 

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 7

She likes to be comfortable. She likes pockets. She likes to be modest.

She sounds exactly like my daughter! We went to five different stores trying to find some denim shorts for her, and we could not find anything in her size that had an inseam longer than one inch! We had given up, and then one day in Target she was drawn to the Star Wars t-shirts in the men's section. I noticed some denim shorts nearby, grabbed a couple of colors in the smallest size they had, and encouraged her to go try them on. She loves them. No one would ever guess they are men's when she's wearing them, they just look like denim shorts. And she wears them with "nerdy shirts" rather than unicorns and sparkles and such. :D

• Like 2

I'll be honest - they look boyish to me.  I know denim is neutral, but the large pockets and cut looks boyish to me; somewhat baggy and shapeless, it seems.  But if you bedazzled them, I think she would see them differently.  What about a few pairs of girl's Bermuda shorts in khaki, pastel checks, stripes, etc...?  Gymboree used to have them a lot.

ETA:  I think it's the pockets that boys them up. 

Edited by reefgazer
  • Like 3

My beautiful, feminine daughter has worn boys' shorts for years and years--I think for more than a decade? She is currently 20yo, and she started wearing guys' shorts when she was 8 or 9. Not one person has ever asked or implied that they were boy shorts. They were simply a little longer than Daisy Duke's hot pants, and she looks fabulous in them. 

Also reassure your dd that denim is just denim--it's considered gender neutral.

I also wore men's jeans for years before having babies--I was thin with long legs and it was the only way I could get something that fit. I had to switch to women's jeans after my son's birth.

• Like 2

I have five pairs of shorts like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Faded-Glory-girls-bermuda-denim-blue-shorts-size-6-6X-new-with-tags-/132217232203?hash=item1ec8c2db4b:g:O6YAAOSwlndZDjNC

put away for next year because they are too big in the waist. I'll ask my mom to take in the waist so she can wear them this summer.

My girls wore that same style of shorts (they come from Walmart) for years. Seriously, like several summers in a row, we'd go in and buy the Bermuda shorts in every color, LOL.

• Like 2

Please tell her that last night my 15 going on 16 year old daughter said she needed to get some shorts. We went to wally world and she chuckled, "Of course, they'll be from the boys' department." We went to the boys' clothing and she picked up a pair of athletic shorts for modesty and comfort, and like, $5. I suggested a pair of swim trunks that had fun designs on them, but she declined.

That's her, her older sisters are the same. They don't care, we've been doing this for years because of the limited selection in the girls and junior department.

Then the other girls ask them where they got their shorts. Baha. 

She says: they hold up better and they're less form fitting.

• Like 2

On the page, I would guess they were from the boys' department because I have 3 girls and a boy and know the woes of clothes shopping. On a child, I don't know that I would think that much about them. Kid is happy? I don't care. ;)

If you're still looking, have you checked Hanna Andersson? I know a couple of great shorts/pants patterns if you sew...

• Like 1

If you're still looking, have you checked Hanna Andersson? I know a couple of great shorts/pants patterns if you sew...

I did check Hanna, but the only girls' shorts with the length we like are bike shorts. The boys' shorts look great, though! Why, oh, why, can't they have the same options for girls?

Alas, I do not sew. My poor mother. I'll probably still be asking her to fix and alter things for me when she's 80 years old.  :)

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 1

I think it was Eddie Izzard I heard say something along the lines of the only thing that makes them "girls clothes" is if they are owned by a girl. The distinction is rather ridiculous. I wear shorts from the mens department sometimes because they have real pockets! I also wear mens lounge pants because they are Doctor Who and again, have pockets. 

The important part is that the person wearing them likes them. It doesn't matter what department you found them in. 

• Like 3

Argh. I remember shopping when my girls were that age. It was so painful!! They liked loose, easy shorts like your dd prefers - and POCKETS!!! What is WITH the lack of pockets for girls??? But finding those in bright, "girlie" colors was nearly impossible. So, I made some. I used the pattern linked below and they were perfect and SUPER easy to sew.

Favorite Things Little Smarty Pants pattern:

https://sewing.patternreview.com/Patterns/19294

Now my girls are older teens. Short, tight, denim, athletic, whatever - it's all good now. lol

• Like 1

DH and I once had a serious argument over my beloved Lands End knit shorts with a string-tie at the waist.  I'd bought every color they had (three), and one color just disappeared.  Which is weird because I don't normally lose clothes.  DH insisted that some shorts that looked like my missing ones were his.  He loved them for working out.  They were long enough and loose fitting.  Eventually I checked the tag and yup they were mine.   He buys from goodwill often and his mother still gifts him clothes, so it wasn't surprising that he'd think they were his.  But the argument was over who loved them more, and therefore got the use of them.  

• Like 2

ugg, I just remembered that last summer DD declared all shorts were boy shorts.  To get her to wear shorts in soccer I had to get some uber-girlie ones and then loudly comment to DH how girlie they were.  They were animal print with pink flowers.  
I don't know where she got that idea.  At home I wear shorts in summer and sweats in winter.  DH does wear shorts year-round.   

I love to hear of mothers listening to their daughters. Grown women don't always have to "prove" why we don't want to wear something, after all. Are little girls that much different?

If little girls are trying to dress sexy then it's our job to shut that down. The little girl may not realize what she sexy means and just think she wants to be cute and stylish, but as a mom, I know more. 

My DD is 9. She started public school this last year (I homeschool other DC), and DH and I have noticed that she's really starting to get ideas about what she should be or should look like that we don't care for, probably based on what she sees or hears at school because it is new to her. She wants to wear tight, short clothes. She tries to rescue outgrown clothes from the giveaway pile because they're tighter and shorter. She wants to shake her butt when she dances (granted, she takes dance), and she doesn't understand. She wants to look "cute" and "pretty." There's nothing wrong with that, but she needs guidance. If I let her pick her own clothes without guidance, she would look like this: https://goo.gl/images/LP1eKk

Raising girls in this environment is hard. I do want to respect her independence and her sense of style, but I can't always listen to what she wants. Not even to mention- short shorts are not practical. They don't protect you on hot slides or from hot seats in cars, they don't have room for useful pockets, they expose too much sensitive skin to bugs and grasses which cause rashes (at least in my DD). They are just a really poor choice functionally. Similarly, my DD wants to wear leggings all the time, but I require jeans or thicker material sometimes. She resists because she doesn't understand or doesn't care, but I feel my reasoning is sound. I won't let her wear leggings for some activities like hiking or rough play because they get rips and holes easily. I know she loves them and would be sad if they got holes, so I make her wear something else for some activities. It's not always about the looks. 

• Like 2

If little girls are trying to dress sexy then it's our job to shut that down. The little girl may not realize what she sexy means and just think she wants to be cute and stylish, but as a mom, I know more. 

Yes. I don't make her wear things she's not comfortable in, but neither do I allow her to wear anything she wants.  :)

By the way, all, I am out of likes! :crying: Consider all your posts liked until I get a refill!

• Like 1

It's common thing. Girls are girls. When I was a little girl, my father bought me a suit of boy's T-shirt and shorts, and sadly I was mocked by a boy.

Aww, kids can be so unkind.

I once worn my dad's sweater to school. It was so purple and chunky and cozy (but really way too big). I was mocked. Sad to say, I later loosed my pent-up anger on the girl who teased me by kicking her instead of the ball in gym class--hard.  :(

Thankfully she and I got along fine later, when we were a little older.  :)

I am a soon to be 56 year old female and I wear boy's/men's jeans.

I have slim hips and not much waist definition (built like a boy) so they fit me better than women's jeans (don't have to wear a belt).

I wear my boys' old shorts, too.

Only problem I have had is that the pockets are very deep.  Hard to get my wallet out of.

• Like 1

That's true. But buying gendered clothing that reinforces stereotypes isn't exactly a feminist choice either.

Now, I don't care at all what other parents choose to do, we all have to live in this world and make imperfect choices, but saying that we bought the pink sparklies because she just happens to like it therefore it's a choice therefore feminism is disingenuous.

Elle- who's good feminist account is seriously in the red...

Eta- I have probably failed worse with my boys on this one, they can be quite particular about what they like - hint: no pink! And I feel you on the very gendered stuff for boys. For a while there everything had skulls... blech.

Edited by LMD

Ugh. One does not prove one's feminist credentials by buying from the men's section. 

I am confused. Who said it did?

I'm not a feminist and don't claim to be. I just want non-skin-tight, non-booty shorts with pockets for my child.  :)

Edited by MercyA
  • Like 2