Menu

List countries to visit for our family vacation - LauraC check in here!

sheryl

We just don't travel much.  We have the desire but have pushed it off with always the consideration of money as the reason.  Actually, I don't like to fly that much.  But, this is silly.  DH, DD and I would like to travel to many different locations around the world.  Now, we don't have an endless supply of money but I do think we'd be able to go on a "big" vacation once every 3-5 years or so and wish we had already done some by now but we haven't so we're starting fresh.  We have never been outside of USA.  We have been to bordering cities of Canada to States.

After talking a family we have a mutual desire for:

Europe, South America and home/states-side traveling out n and s west, ne etc.

Considering Europe first, what countries would you suggest?  It's common knowledge that some countries don't care for Americans.  Do we stay out of those countries or go with a tour only? 

How many countries is reasonable to visit in say 5 days?  1 day to fly over  and  1 day back.  That's a starting point.

What do you pack and not look like a complete nerdy tourist.  Are tourists taken advantage of?

I've been told not to drink tap water anywhere outside of the states.  I drink a lot of water.  Do you buy gallons or in this case liters by bulk to carry you through?  Is there a limit on anything to buy?

My sister who is an accomplished travel planner gave me some of these tips (plus she's travel abroad) and mentioned AirBNB may be a good route to go.  I'm asking here to get different opinions and looking for common thought.

Is there air-conditioning?  Size of beds?  My British friend says to expect twin size beds in London.  That won't work.  Would a host family/Bed and Breakfast offer large sized beds?  My sister also said it's the law that no more than 3 can stay in a hotel room.  Is she right?   Although I don't think we would stay in a hotel.  She said stay outside of any major city - safer. 

It would be the 3 of us.

When to travel?  I don't like high heat or humidity. 

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Suggestions?  Thanks!  :)

Also, we'd like to visit a few countries but noticed to drive from Madrid, Spain to France is 11 hours!!!!!   We'd like to get to several countries and explore a bit and not spend all of our time traveling.  Take a commuter flight?  Or, train?  The train wouldn't save time though.  Another airplane ticket is going to add to an already escalating price tag for the trip.

HELP!

With only five days, I'd go to Central America. You'd barely have any time in Europe between the flights and jet lag. I know I might sound like a broken record, but Mexico would be wonderful. No jet lag, short flights, and plenty to do.

If you want to do Europe and can spend more time there, I'd recommend deciding what types of things you want to do and choosing your destinations based on that.

Also, there are very few countries I wouldn't visit that I can easily get a visa to. I do not believe it is inherently dangerous to be an American tourist.

• Like 6

Our plan is Europe.  We have way too many countries of interest and am trying to sort it out. 

Austria

Germany

Italy

Switzerland

Netherlands

Belguim

France

Spain

UK
Ireland

This seems like too many.  I'll talk to our neighbors who just spent 2 years in London and have been home a year now but wanted to ask for insight here! :) 

I've been to the UK 3 times, France twice, Germany twice, and a few other countries once.

Answers inline...

Considering Europe first, what countries would you suggest?  It's common knowledge that some countries don't care for Americans.  Do we stay out of those countries or go with a tour only? 

I don't have a suggestion as far as countries without more info about what you're looking for. I would never stay out of a country I really wanted to see simply because I'm an American.

How many countries is reasonable to visit in say 5 days?  1 day to fly over  and  1 day back.  That's a starting point.

One, if you're left with 3 days.

What do you pack and not look like a complete nerdy tourist.  Are tourists taken advantage of?

Americans are stereotypically known for their fanny packs, high socks, and white sneakers, but I wouldn't worry about it to the point of buying new shoes or clothes. It's just a few days. Also Americans tend to be louder than Europeans, esp in restaurants. I don't know that tourists are particularly taken advantage of, but I would be more careful of pickpocketing in major cities than you are here, and don't take any unofficial tours from people with signs or pamphlets on the street.

I've been told not to drink tap water anywhere outside of the states.  I drink a lot of water.  Do you buy gallons or in this case liters by bulk to carry you through?  Is there a limit on anything to buy?

You can absolutely drink the tap water.

My sister who is an accomplished travel planner gave me some of these tips (plus she's travel abroad) and mentioned AirBNB may be a good route to go.  I'm asking here to get different opinions and looking for common thought.

Airbnb can be good, as can contacting agencies that rent apartments to travelers. If you have limited time and limited knowledge of a city, a hotel might be better for the advice they can give and also the ease of finding it when you arrive tired.

Is there air-conditioning?  Size of beds?  My British friend says to expect twin size beds in London.  That won't work.  Would a host family/Bed and Breakfast offer large sized beds?  My sister also said it's the law that no more than 3 can stay in a hotel room.  Is she right?   Although I don't think we would stay in a hotel.  She said stay outside of any major city - safer. 

It would be the 3 of us.

Smaller and/or boutique hotels in Europe tend to have smaller rooms than Americans are used to. Chain hotels are about the same. Never heard of the 3 people max as a general rule. It just depends on the size of the room, like here. 

Depends where you go. Like the U.S., the south stays warmer later than the north.

Edited by idnib
  • Like 3

Travel to Europe thoughts:

We've always drunk the water, no problems.

If I were taking a five day trip I would pick one place to stay as a base and then do day excursions from there. Any major city in Europe would probably be conducive to this!

I've booked multiple Airbnb's. It is GREAT for family travel. They usually tell you how many bedrooms and what type of beds. It is a good excuse to check out local grocery stores. I usually filter my searches by specifying wifi availability and a washing machine - so we only pack clothes for three days.

Use a city with good public transit - many, many have that.

Lots of your questions depend on where you are traveling.

Edited by SusanC
  • Like 4

If you only have five days and are set on Europe, I'd look for a direct flight to cut down on travel time. Don't try to do too much the first day when you will be jet lagged. Maybe fly out of a different airport so you don't have to backtrack if you want to go to more than one country? Or be willing to go to just one country - you could fly into London and find plenty to do for three days in and around London.

Gently, I think your expectations of what is possible may be too high.

• Like 13

Replies in your text:

Considering Europe first, what countries would you suggest?  It's common knowledge that some countries don't care for Americans.  Do we stay out of those countries or go with a tour only? My husband is American and we have travelled independently throughout Europe with no problem.  Don't worry about it.

How many countries is reasonable to visit in say 5 days?  1 day to fly over  and  1 day back.  That's a starting point. One country, possibly one city

What do you pack and not look like a complete nerdy tourist.  Are tourists taken advantage of?  I would wear comfortable waterproof leather shoes, slacks, a shirt, a sweater and some kind of waterproof jacket.  You will obviously be a tourist anyway, so just don't worry about it.  It's hard to answer about whether tourists are taken advantage of: Europe's a big place.

I've been told not to drink tap water anywhere outside of the states.  I drink a lot of water.  Do you buy gallons or in this case liters by bulk to carry you through?  Is there a limit on anything to buy?  Water is safe to drink everywhere I have been in Europe.

My sister who is an accomplished travel planner gave me some of these tips (plus she's travel abroad) and mentioned AirBNB may be a good route to go.  I'm asking here to get different opinions and looking for common thought. We've used Air BnB with no problems.

It would be the 3 of us.

Some places will have aircon, some not.  Check the listings.  In most hotels in London you can choose twin (single) or larger beds.  British Queen and King are smaller than the US versions, but they still sleep two.  Again, any 'law' about three in a room will be regional/related to a particular hotel.  Europe is statistically less dangerous than the US.  I walk around London/Edinburgh alone with no fear whatsoever.

Depends where you are going: check climate statistics.

Thoughts?  Ideas?  Suggestions?  Thanks!  :)

If you only have five days and are set on Europe, I'd look for a direct flight to cut down on travel time. Don't try to do too much the first day when you will be jet lagged. Maybe fly out of a different airport so you don't have to backtrack if you want to go to more than one country? Or be willing to go to just one country - you could fly into London and find plenty to do for three days in and around London.

Gently, I think your expectations of what is possible may be too high.

I agree (again) with Amira.

Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 7

If you're only going to have three days in-country, I would pick a city and explore it.  Three days is a bare minimum for most european cities, imho.  

Airbnb can be a great way to go, although a hotel can also be a great way to go if you're able to find one that would accommodate three people.

Anne

• Like 3

Frankfurt, Germany took us a day.

Switzerland took us 10 days

Paris, France took us two days

It wasn't enough time but okay for a first round. We flew into Frankfurt and flew out of Paris. We are hoping to visit the German Christmas markets this year or next. That would already take a week including flying.

• Like 1

Can you extend that 5 days to 7 at all??? 5 days would leave you only 3 to explore and the 1st one you might have jet lag. With 7 days I would keep eyes out of deals on tickets to major cities: Paris, London, Rome, Madrid, etc. 

I would use a major city as a base and explore from there. I mostly stayed in the downtown areas, except Venice. For that short of a trip, I would use hotels/B&B, they can provide info, are more usually centrally located, near tourist sites. I would not want to spend hour+ a day possibly commuting, etc. 

I stayed in B&B in Italy and many had larger beds. Hotel rooms in other areas were generally small, but not all of them. Ask when you book.

I always just bought bottled water and had one handy. I didn't buy in bulk, because I was often in a city for only 3-4 days max, you can pick them up on just about anywhere. I'm sure in most large cities you CAN drink the tap water, but why risk getting GI issues on a trip??? DH can drink tap water anywhere and not get upset tummy, sometimes I go to a different state and get stomach issues.

If you want to check about flying between 2 cities in Europe, check local airlines, they often have deals. DSIL, who lives in Paris, bought us cheap tickets to fly from Paris to Berlin and back. (Our flights were LA to Paris).

• Like 1

So, "1" country/city to visit in 5 days!!!!!

I think that is doable, but you will not see it all. I usually stopped off in a major city in Europe for a mini-vac on my way back from other trips: Rome, London.

I had 5 full days in London last time and did: Windsor, Bath(day trip), Stonehenge(day trip), some Museums and a day of relaxing/book store hunting. There was plenty more to do.

• Like 3

I agree that if you are only going to go for 5 days I would pick one country and use a major city as a base and maybe do one or two small day trips, depending on the city. 

As an example: We went to Iceland and Paris last fall with our family of 5. That was a great trip. We picked Iceland because of the very cheap flights there and then from there to locations in Europe. We did a total of 10 days. Two were travel. Two in Iceland at the beginning, five in Paris and one in Iceland again at the end. In Paris we mostly stayed in the city and picked one day to go on two day trips...in the morning to Giverny (Monet's gardens) and afternoon to Versailles. 

Few other random thoughts: 

*Public transportation in Europe is mostly very easy. If you are going to travel from one country to another consider trains. Dh and I did a trip before kids that was mostly in Italy but then we ended in Amsterdam (we were visiting friends). We did an overnight train from Italy to Amsterdam where we could sleep on the train. That was a great way to maximize our sightseeing time (and the train was an experience/adventure in itself). 

*We used Air BNB in Iceland and Paris and had great experiences. We have also stayed in several traditional B&Bs in England and various accommodations in Italy (a convent, hotels, etc). In general, rooms are smaller. We always had double beds or it was specified ahead of time. The shower in Paris was miniscule, like hard to turn around in tiny. But it became a big family joke that we still laugh about. Things will be different but that's part of the experience. 

*We did not feel unsafe saying in the middle of major cities (Rome, London, Paris, Amsterdam). We also are comfortable in US cities (Chicago, NY, Boston, DC). 

*I have never felt taken advantage of in all our travels. We have found people to be kind and welcoming. I've never worried about what I'm wearing. I figure I look American and it's ok. We are tourists so why try and hide it. We try and speak the language when we can and always ask politely if someone speaks English instead of assuming. We try not to be "good guests" and we've found people to be good hosts. 

*Tap water is fine in Europe. 

• Like 1

I concur with pp that for 5 days, pick one city with a direct flight.  I don't know what your hub city is, but from NY there are multiple carriers (the competitiveness affects $) with direct flights to London, Edinburgh, Dublin, Amsterdam, several major German cities, Reykjavik, and (slightly longer flights) Barcelona, Madrid, and Athens... which is definitely enough to be getting on with.  With that little time, plan on getting a good sense of one city and perhaps its surrounding area.  Within and immediately around most European cities there is no need for a car; public transport is generally much better there than here and if not, Uber and its ilk.

With just 3 people, I'd focus on finding hotel room that can accommodate 3 people (which is certainly doable) though with our family of 5 (plus, sometimes, friends or extended family members) we've had good success with apartments even for stays as short as 2 or 3 nights.  But with just 3 I'd do a hotel.

There's nowhere in Europe I wouldn't go as an American.  The tap water in Europe is fine.  It's also fine to look like a dorky tourist.  If you nevertheless want to avoid looking like a dorky tourist stay away from sneakers, shorts and fanny packs.   :laugh:

Have fun planning.  For me the planning is definitely a good part of the fun.

• Like 1

And let me add here as it "can" be misinterpreted.  I'm not referring to Europeans as a collective whole when I suggested being taken advantage of.  As I said in an reply to a separate, earlier post - I believe most people are good.  The minority are "off".  I know there are Americans who "may" take advantage of others.  So, I don't want to derail this thread but feel I had to mention this.  

Back to suggestions for our European vacation.  I'm thinking of Chevy Chase here - LOL! :) 

If you settle on Europe, the advantage is that everything is close together by US standards.

You could do the triad of Austria / Germany / Switzerland. At Bodensee (a lake) you can get on a boat and travel to all three countries on one day. Granted you will not have lots of time but you will have been there.

If you have time for another triad, it could be London / Paris / Rome. Lots to see and experience.

If you want more out of the way and lesser known destinations, I'd go for San Marino (an independent territory in Italy); it's near the Vatican if you are interested. Further south is the island of Capri (go to Anacapri on the steep hill), Agrigento, Sicily, or - to the west, the little country of Monaco, Nice and Genoa.

If history figures in big, Eastern Europe is fascinating and much of it is open today. Prague, Warsaw, Ustinova, etc. but naturally you can find historical landmarks on the entire continent.

• Like 2

I think that is doable, but you will not see it all. I usually stopped off in a major city in Europe for a mini-vac on my way back from other trips: Rome, London.

I had 5 full days in London last time and did: Windsor, Bath(day trip), Stonehenge(day trip), some Museums and a day of relaxing/book store hunting. There was plenty more to do.

Oh man...book stores and 5 days in London. I have to leave now before I book a trip on impulse.

• Like 4

Can you be more specific in what you want out of the vacation? Do you want to just say that you went to a country? Do you want to visit the major museums? churches? historical spots? battle grounds? beaches? If you specify a bit more, it might be easier to advise you.

This. And if you are willing to give a rough idea of where you live, it would help. There are so many places in the U.S. For *big* vacations (as long as you are not there already, lol.

Do you have a season that you want to travel in? It can be a plus if you can avoid the most crowded times for a destination.

My gut feeling is that, if the 5 days includes travel, you would not get your money's worth, or time's worth from Europe -- too much travel for the amount of time at the destination.

Also -- get passports early, to avoid paying rush fees. Passports are expensive, so be sure to include that in your budget.

Edited by Alessandra
  • Like 1

For five days only, I would stay in one country. Germany, France, England, Italy are the most obvious choices in Europe.

There is much to see and explore without country hopping.

Off season is cheaper and less crowded than summer. I would not go to France during the summer when the entire country is on break. In Germany, school breaks are staggered so that not all states go on break simultaneously.

Do not expect air conditioning except perhaps in luxury hotels.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 2

What are your goals? If you want to see a sizeable city at all, you are going to need several days, just like here. Imagine having 3 days (because minus travel time, that's what you have) to "see" New England. Well, you can't. You can get a good feel for Boston, or you can enjoy a national park, but you can't do Boston, Portland, the mountains of New Hampshire, the beaches of Rhode Island AND Vermont. It's not different in Europe.

Personally, I wouldn't bother spending the money on such a short trip to Europe, especially if you've never been. But if you are set on it, pick one city and enjoy exploring it. No matter where you are, it won't be enough time but to scratch the surface.

As for looking like a tourist, you probably won't. Just like here, Europeans wear all kinds of things, even loud t shirts and shorts and sneakers with long socks. I promise. Also, just like here, they aren't looking at you and don't care. Well, unless you are in the habit of wearing your pyjamas in public. Don't do that. ;)

The water is fine. Ordering tap water isn't much done, so get used to buying bottled water or filling your reusable bottle at your hotel. Europe in general is far safer and cleaner than the US.

We like to stay in apartments because we prefer to make our own food rather than rely on eating out for every meal. But for only 3 days, a hotel would probably be easier.

Have fun planning!

• Like 4

I think most of your questions have been answered. I agree with pps- 5 days including travel time is barely worth your time and money. If you decide to visit more than one city, you can easily spend as much time traveling as being out, enjoying the place.

As for picking the places to visit, I like going to Rick Steves Europe website and reading through the itineraries of his tours. He also has lists of major places to visit for many cities and countries. I used it as a starting point for planning my trip to Italy a few years ago, and now for our upcoming trip to France. With Italy I felt I was well prepared for everything we experienced. We'll see how it goes with France.

One thing I would want to stress is if you want to get the most from your trip, plan those few days to an hour, but don't forget to include some down time, even if it is just a relaxing lunch. Again, with only three days I wouldn't want to spend one minute of it cooking.

• Like 1

Agreeing with others:  With only 5 days, I would choose 1 major city with maybe 1-2 day trips to nearby places.  

Paris is an obvious option, London another.  Some lesser known (in the US) places might be the Loire Valley in France or the French Southern coast.  Zurich is also beautiful.  

- I have never felt "taken advantage of," even as a very naive young study-abroad student in southern France.  I have never encountered rudeness that could be attributed to anti-Americanism.  I've met rude people, sure, but I've met plenty in the USA as well!  

- I have never, ever heard of not drinking the local tap water in Europe.  ???  Other places, yes, but never for Europe.  

- If you are truly hoping to blend in... you won't... so I wouldn't really bother.   :lol:   Common sense advice is not to wear jeans and sneakers everywhere, but... I wear jeans and sneakers literally every day and so do many, many, many other people, including locals, here in Switzerland.  The thing is, you won't be speaking the local language so people will know within 0.01 seconds that you are not a local.  

- Use common sense re: safety.  That is, don't put your wallet in the outside pocket of your backpack on a heavily packed commuter metro.  As it happens, I do have a sling backpack style purse.  When we enter public transportation (which is constant), I simply slide it around so the sack part is under my arm, or I turn it around completely do it's across my chest.  Use the same caution you would when wandering around an unknown US city.  

But, as many have pointed out, Europe is a long way to come for basically 3 days of horrible jet lag and then getting back on the plane.  I wouldn't cross the Atlantic unless you had AT LEAST a full 7 days on the ground, not counting travel days.  

• Like 9

One country.  Try to spend more time there. One or 2 weeks would be better.  

• Like 1

Oh man...book stores and 5 days in London. I have to leave now before I book a trip on impulse.

That was one of my favorite days I think. There was an outdoor street market of used books. I had to limit my purchases at one point. I think I carried on one tote of books as my carry on plus  squeezed more into my 2 checked bags :).

• Like 3

That was one of my favorite days I think. There was an outdoor street market of used books. I had to limit my purchases at one point. I think I carried on one tote of books as my carry on plus squeezed more into my 2 checked bags :).

My father let me use his charge account at Hatchards, and they shipped everything. I tried not to take advantage....

https://www.hatchards.co.uk

I also loved Heffers in Cambridge. I spent a *lot* of my own $$ at their paperback branch.

• Like 1

ok, this is all good! I appreciate all of these very much.

i'm terribly naĂƒÂ¯ve about visiting other countries!  

I don't have time to reply to each one of yours but I did read every one!  :)

you all say more time.  OK, to all and Monica and Laura, how many days to visit 3 countries.  Jean asked a question which was good. well, no, i'd like more than have my feet cross the border and touch the soil.  I'd like to explore a bit.  BUT, some of the countries are smaller than others so I made an assumption (which can be dangerous to do) that it would take less time to visit. LOL!

DH is of Swiss descent.  His Mother's parents were born in Switzerland and of the 10 or so kids they had some of dh's aunts and uncles were born in Sw and others in the States.  Dh's mom was born here.   I'm Irish and Scottish. 

I see now I bit off too much for a short stay.  Maybe we can stay 6-7 days and add 2 for flights.  Is that better? 

And, like a Liz CA said, group together the countries.   So, how does this look for 6-7 days then -

1. UK and Ireland

2. Spain and France

3. Switzerland and Italy

Belguim, Netherlands, Austria and Germany will be last although I really wanted to see Anne Frank's home (Germany, right?).

Tell me how the above looks.  Either 1,2 or 3 or is it still unreasonable? 

• Like 1

ok, i'll go ahead and answer.  it's still not right. 

y'all are saying separate trips for: Spain and France on our list

another trip UK and Ireland

another trip maybe Netherlands, Belguim, Switzerland

yet another for Germany?

as much as we'd like to do that, i'm not sure.  although maybe we just need to plan better and narrow the list as you're saying and make future trips.

STILL, what countries would you combine for a week's stay (adding 2 flight days for a total of 9 days or so)?

I think the people in Flint Michigan would love to have access to most of the tap water in Europe.

I think for a 1 week trip you should just pick 1 country. There's jet lag to factor in.

Yes, you are right on that one.  DH and I used to live in Flint!  Yikes.  That was waaaaaaay before the water scare.   :)

Anne Frank lived in Amsterdam (in the Netherlands).

Honestly, trying to do so much in such a short time is going to mean you miss almost everything. If all you have is that, pick one country. Do your research on what your must see places are in each, and realistic travel time between them. Europe has terrific and dirt cheap airlines so it's possible to fly within Europe easily, but there is still travel time to the airport, luggage requirements (hint, you'll want to go with the smallest possible carry on only), travel time from the airport to your destination, etc. I wouldn't waste my time on such a short trip.

It sounds like you have lots of research to do. It can be easy to fall into the trap of "oh everything looks so close!", but it's not quite like that. You don't want to waste precious hours on transportation when you could be exploring.

• Like 3

Belgium and the Netherlands could make for a nice week if you want to hit up two countries in that timeframe. But in general, the countries aren't as small as you might be imagining...And there's just ever so much to see and do...

What kind of experience are you looking for? That might help a lot.

We are currently in Europe and have done 9 countries in 3 months. It has been awesome. I don't really think we stand out as Americans-people wear all different things (except if you travel September -May with a small child you will stand out if they aren't wearing a hat Ă°Å¸Ëœâ‚¬). Also, there are tourists from all over the world. We haven't had any problems with being from America. People here are used to tourists.

The Netherlands has been my favorite country (that is where the Anne Frank house is). Switzerland was so beautiful-I didn't want to leave. Czech was also amazing.

Probably though if I only had a week I would fly into London or Paris then train to the other city. It is only a 2.5 hour train ride.

We have felt safe in every country we have been to. We have stayed in hotels and Airbnb and hostels (which was a surprisingly great experience). They are strict about the max number of people in a room. If it says 2 they mean 2. We have 6 people in our family and only had to get two rooms one time, so there are big rooms available.

Tap water is safe to drink, but they don't really serve it at restaurants. Be prepared to pay more for water than for alcohol some places.

• Like 1

I'm agreeing with others --pick one country. If you really want two I (personal preference) would do Switzerland and Italy, three days in Switzerland and four in Italy, take the train between. Choose one city in Switzerland to explore, and maybe two in Italy.

Tap water is fine. I would expect the tap water in Switzerland to be very good. Italians seem to favor drinking bottled water, but tap water is treated and should be safe.

• Like 1

My honest opinion is you are going to have a really hard time doing more than just getting your passport stamped (and you don't even get country stamps anymore) on your own with a whirlwind tour. We waited for two hours just to buy our tickets at Versailles once which blew the whole day, to be honest the trip. But three days in France with our own car is easy for us and not a lifetime event. Your realistic options for a vacation, not a potentially disappointing marathon really probably are one country and a couple of cities or to get professional help. By that I mean buy a tour on a coach/bus. Not my thing but they work. Friends do it all the time. Your tickets to things like Versailles are ready for you when the coach drops you off. You are moved to the next event with tickets.....easy. Some meals are included which cuts down on time too.

I love Rick Steves and actually think one of his kids is running a tour business.

• Like 5

Anne Frank lived in Amsterdam (in the Netherlands).

Honestly, trying to do so much in such a short time is going to mean you miss almost everything. If all you have is that, pick one country. Do your research on what your must see places are in each, and realistic travel time between them. Europe has terrific and dirt cheap airlines so it's possible to fly within Europe easily, but there is still travel time to the airport, luggage requirements (hint, you'll want to go with the smallest possible carry on only), travel time from the airport to your destination, etc. I wouldn't waste my time on such a short trip.

It sounds like you have lots of research to do. It can be easy to fall into the trap of "oh everything looks so close!", but it's not quite like that. You don't want to waste precious hours on transportation when you could be exploring.

Thanks for that.  I knew Germany wasn't right.  :) 

• Like 1

I think that part of the problem is that Europe looks small.  But it's crowded.  Not only crowded with sights to see, but also full of people going about their business.  The UK has 65 million people, so roughly one fifth of the population of the US.  But look on a map at the relative land masses.  So it's often not that quick to just pop from one country to another, even with decent public transport.  It's not like driving from one end of Texas to the other - I've done that too.

• Like 1

OK, got it. I'm back at square 1 then.  DH, DD and I all want to visit Europe.   I just called my sister and she said the same thing as you all.  I said, "yeah, my group (wtm) says the same thing you're (my sister) saying".

So, Italy and Switz?  My sister said Italy alone would take a  week. 

So, how would you break up the UK?  I also think it's unrealistic to travel to 1 country and make 10 trips to see all of these places.  That's why I'm trying to combine if I can.  I don't know what's possible now.

England by itself? 
Combo: Ireland, Scotland and Wales

France alone...

re clarifying the goals:

ok, i'll go ahead and answer.  it's still not right. 

y'all are saying separate trips for: Spain and France on our list

another trip UK and Ireland

another trip maybe Netherlands, Belguim, Switzerland

yet another for Germany?

as much as we'd like to do that, i'm not sure.  although maybe we just need to plan better and narrow the list as you're saying and make future trips.

STILL, what countries would you combine for a week's stay (adding 2 flight days for a total of 9 days or so)?

Well, if your primary goal is to ratchet up notches on the lipstick case -- and hey, nothin' wrong with that -- then pick border towns and rent a car.  We once had a wedding in Bavaria but my husband could only take a 3-day weekend.  We took a night flight, landed early in the morning in Munich (Germany), drove maybe an hour to Zurich (Switzerland) and wandered around till lunchtime, then drove another 45 minutes to Vaduz (Liechtenstein) where we had stayed in a lovely cliffside inn.  In the morning we saw the national museum, had a nice little snack in an outdoor cafe and in the afternoon the (excellent, as I recall) contemporary museum in Vaduz.  Then in another drive of < 2 hours we returned to Germany -- as I recall, we maybe routed through a corner of Austria on the return leg -- to the tiny hamlet in which our friend was getting married, in time for the rehearsal dinner biergarten.  We went to wedding the following morning, stopped by Dachau on our way out to the airport (OK, that part was a bit surreal) and got a night flight out.

You can do it.  If your primary goal is to have set foot on a bunch of European countries, take a look at a map and see where the borders come together.  

But if it weren't for a defined event like a wedding, in a tightly-compressed interval like a long weekend snatched from work, I never would.  Certainly we did not "see" Germany, let alone Switzerland or Austria, through that experience, although we did get bragging rights for having stepped onto the land.  (Now Liechtenstein, that maybe is a place you can "see" in just a day.   :lol:   )

On the other hand, when my eldest was at university in Europe, we did a 4-day Thanksgiving stint in Barcelona.  Again, that was all the time my other kids could take.  We rented an apartment and spent the whole time in that one marvelous city, getting around on foot and public transport.  We saw nearly everything there we wanted to see.  For me that is immensely more satisfying (even though it left me hungry to see more of Spain on another visit!)

• Like 4

What do you want to see in Italy?  or Switzerland?  or England?  or?  I would sit down with a guide book to the country/ countries you are interested in and make a list of "must sees" vs. "if we had time it would be nice to add this" things.  I think that it might help you. 

We love the pics we see of these places.  Rolling hills, cobblestone streets perhaps, little pubs, etc.  We would visit hot spots (museums, but not every one). 

I think my sister sent me a pic of an old family farm in Scotland that was and maybe still is in the family. 

And Laura, YES!  You are right.  I was sadly off on the reality of the size of Europe.  And, the number of people puts that in to perspective all the more.

What is the land area equivalent then of the areas I mentioned to the US? 

OK, got it. I'm back at square 1 then.  DH, DD and I all want to visit Europe.   I just called my sister and she said the same thing as you all.  I said, "yeah, my group (wtm) says the same thing you're (my sister) saying".

So, Italy and Switz?  My sister said Italy alone would take a  week. 

So, how would you break up the UK?  I also think it's unrealistic to travel to 1 country and make 10 trips to see all of these places.  That's why I'm trying to combine if I can.  I don't know what's possible now.

England by itself? 

Combo: Ireland, Scotland and Wales

France alone...

Well, to get between Wales and Scotland you need to travel through England unless you fly.  How about Southern Scotland (Edinburgh, trip to the southern Highlands), Northern England (Yorkshire, Lake District) and North Wales.  But I'm more of a landscape kind of person, and this is better done by car, which I don't recommend for a short, jetlagged trip on unfamiliar roads.

Alternatively, for more cultural events, base yourself in London for a few days, then take a train to York for a day, then on up to Edinburgh for a couple of days, and maybe skip Wales.  If you wanted to go on from there, then Edinburgh to Dublin would be a quick flight.

• Like 2

And Laura, YES!  You are right.  I was sadly off on the reality of the size of Europe.  And, the number of people puts that in to perspective all the more.

What is the land area equivalent then of the areas I mentioned to the US? 

France has a similar land mass to Texas, Google tells me.  The UK is about the size of Oregon.

• Like 1

I took 30 days (not including travel) and saw 10 countries. But I was childless, on my own and traveled with a backpack (oh and young too  :lol: so tons of energy). So I'm not saying people don't do it, just that it is most likely not ideal. I flew from the midwest to Rome for 5 days one time (spring break, cheap tickets). I didn't plan at all (no reservations, etc) and found a B&B at the train station. but it was go,go,go to fit in all I wanted to do.

But for the best trip, plan and allow some down time. I would do Austria & Switzerland area in 8-9 days (2 for travel). Will you see everything? No, but you can hit the headliners and savor some awesome pastries and make some memories.

A lot will depend on what direct flights are available near you. From LAX they just stated a new direct flight to Copenhagen and are having sales. I'd love to try that.

I would pick one for 8-9 days:

• Italy(there is just a lot to do there, take a train from Rome to Florence then to Venice for a couple days): flight there (1), 2 days in rome(2-3), train to spend afternoon in Florence then train to Venice(4), spend 2 days(5-6), return to Rome(7), 1 more day in Rome (8) than travel home(9)
  • France (Paris and southern France, like Bordeaux and Toulouse, maybe Monaco thrown in or go north)
  • Austria and Switzerland with Munich thrown in
  • London and Scotland (maybe Ireland, depends on which you prefer)
  • Germany (maybe follow the Rhine, tour some castles or check out Amsterdam for a couple days)
  • Denmark and maybe Sweden/Norway

• Like 1