Menu

Would anyone admit to this if it were true?

I'm talking soap operas. When we were first married, 30 years ago I'd have the tv on all day, and I got hooked on soaps. I watched Ryan's Hope, AMC,

Something I can't Remember, General Hospital and the Something Else I can't Remember.

AMC and General Hospital were my favorites. GH was back in the days of Luke and Laura. I'll bet none of you spring chickens are old enough to remember them.

I got hooked on "Days of Our Lives" and "Another World" for a few years when I was in my 20s. My MIL asked me to take notes on her soaps while she went to her bridge club meetings. I took very detailed notes and ended up hooked on the soaps! After I got divorced from my first husband, I stopped watching the soaps because I was working during the day. That was before we could tape our favorite shows.

I'm talking soap operas. When we were first married, 30 years ago I'd have the tv on all day, and I got hooked on soaps. I watched Ryan's Hope, AMC,

Something I can't Remember, General Hospital and the Something Else I can't Remember.

AMC and General Hospital were my favorites. GH was back in the days of Luke and Laura. I'll bet none of you spring chickens are old enough to remember them.

I remember AMC and GH. I even got excited over Luke and Laura's wedding. I remember the final episode of Search for Tomorrow. LOL

Did you know DOL is scheduled to be canceled next year?

back in the old days when Kindergarten was "optional"....:rolleyes: I never like cartoons.

I watched General Hospital (Steve Hardy, Audry, and Jessie were the "stars" - Bobbie and Scottie Baldwin were the youngin's...). I also watched Days of Our Lives when Doug and Julie were the romantic couple. All My Children was on and Phil had just returned from Vietnam....he was one of Erika's earlier husbands...

Did I remember that all right??:eek:

It was so G-rated back then...

k

(40 yr old)

I was "there" for Luke and Laura's wedding, thankyouverymuch :) and I remember the Luke and Laura song being played on the radio and I remember Jack Wagner's "all i need" and I remember when Marlena was actually a credible character not being posessed by the latest demon. :)

General Hospital was the only one I enjoyed. It had Jack Wagner after all. :) I did watch the others, but I prefered GH.

back in the old days when Kindergarten was "optional"....:rolleyes: I never like cartoons.

I watched General Hospital (Steve Hardy' date=' Audry, and Jessie were the "stars" - Bobbie and Scottie Baldwin were the youngin's...). I also watched Days of Our Lives when Doug and Julie were the romantic couple. All My Children was on and Phil had just returned from Vietnam....he was one of Erika's earlier husbands...

Did I remember that all right??:eek:

It was so G-rated back then...

k

(40 yr old)[/quote']

or get me started on memorizing the parts of speech!!

The theme song for Y&R makes me want a cheese sandwich with mayo. It came on at lunch time when I was growing up and my mom always sat us down for lunch so she could watch it.

I remember Luke, Laura, Scorpio and Noah. Ahhh...Noah. love0010.gif I had his posters all over my wall.

I'd even come in from tanning(with crisco:eek:) to watch soaps when I was a teen. I watched Y&R, AMC, GH and Days. I haven't seen them in years, though. Between that and the computer, I'd never be able to teach my kids. I'm sure I'll get back into them down the road...

I'm talking soap operas.

I watched As The World Turns and Guiding Light with my Mom when I was young. Boy was I torqued when I hit jr. high and couldn't get home in time anymore! :D

Then, after high school, I'd catch it in college if I could.

I stopped watching them when I realized my first born was also watching them. :eek: The potential for questions eons before I was ready to address them was enough for me to go cold turkey! LOL.

A friend of mine married a guy who also watched them with her and really got into them. In college, I thought that was pretty cool... now, however, the thought of DH watching "his stories" honestly just cracks me up. I'm glad mine doesn't do that. ;)

I got hooked on soaps in college. I watched all the ones on CBS (Y&R, B&B, ATWT). We had a lot of guys in the common room watching with us, too! After college...I even used to tape them to keep up...but that became too hard...and I stopped watching all together. Then a few weeks ago, I was actully channel surfing during soap time and came upon ATWT...and it was like I had just watched yesterday...I had no problem following along even though it has been at least 10 years! There were a few new faces with the old names...but same old stuff going on :-)

I watched As The World Turns and Guiding Light with my Mom when I was young. Boy was I torqued when I hit jr. high and couldn't get home in time anymore! :D

Then, after high school, I'd catch it in college if I could.

I stopped watching them when I realized my first born was also watching them. :eek: The potential for questions eons before I was ready to address them was enough for me to go cold turkey! LOL.

A friend of mine married a guy who also watched them with her and really got into them. In college, I thought that was pretty cool... now, however, the thought of DH watching "his stories" honestly just cracks me up. I'm glad mine doesn't do that. ;)

"His stories"! That cracks me up! My Nana calls them her stories:)

my hook was Love is a Many Splendid Thing. i remember the last episode where they tied all the story lines together, and then the actors turned to the camera and thanked the viewers for their loyalty. i sat at the TV weeping that my program was ending. afterwards, i swore i would never get that ridiculously addicted to a soap again!

My best friend in junior high was hooked on, I think, Days of our lives--the one with Kayla. Given the many young girls named Kayla I've met, I think a lot of people were! She taped it every day and watched it after school.

My story is a little odd; I was an exchange student for a year, and my host family--Dad too--was hooked on The bold and the beautiful, which played in the evening on a local channel We always watched it (often on tape). I think the episodes were a couple of years old, but they involved Ridge, Stephanie, Thorn and Brooke and so on!

Chuck & Nina, and Tad & Dixie from AMC? I wanted to *be* Nina from AMC. Who wouldn't? Filthy rich, gorgeous, and sweet. Then along came Tad and suddenly I wanted to be Dixie, ha ha. When they replaced the actor who played Tad I was devastated, but then came to love the new Tad even more.

I can't believe how much of my life I wasted on those ABC soaps. The last one I gave up was AMC (when I graduated college and was working, I could still watch that one during my lunch hour). I finally gave it up 14 years ago.

I remember very well. Ryan's Hope, All My Children, One Life to Live, General Hospital, and something else with a character named Raven who was always up to something.

One summer we got my Father interested in them (I was in high school). Now he still watches GH and sometimes tapes it. I can always call him and find out what Luke is up to LOL!

Early in my marriage and even as a teen I watched the shows you mentioned. And since it looks like you were an ABC girl the one you are probably forgetting is One Life to Live (with the Buchanan family)

I remember Luke and Laura.......Tad and Dixie....and even some movie stars that started out there......I haven't watched them in over a decade now and am not sure I can stomach how they've changed since TV in itself has gotten so raunchy.......I can only imagine soap operas now!:eek:

It's my lunch break everyday. The kids go do their free reading and I eat lunch while watching it. My dh makes fun of me. I used to watch GH in high school because it was the only one on late enough to see after school - that was back in the Luke and Laura days. I also watched One Life to Live for several years. I'm glad to just have one now.

I grew up watching GH and One Life to Live, and AMC, I think I watched Sesame Street during Ryan's Hope though, :) I LOVED Luke and Laura, one of my mom's fav songs is "Every Breath You Take" cause they played it when Luke was following Laura. :) I haven't watched those in years though.

I vaguely remember Luke and Laura the summer we played with some neighbor kids whose mom watched. I got hooked on Days of Our Lives when Patch married Kayla when she was deaf. And of course we all love Bo and Hope.

I stopped watching Days in college when Marlena was posessed by the devil - that was too stupid.

I watch Desperate Housewives now and that is my only soap.

I used to watch All My Children and One Life To Live. When I was a kid, my best friend's mom had one of the very first vcr's. Think the kind that the tape popped out of the top and it was this big, huge machine. She would tape both of those and I remember sitting and watching them with her. I was about 10 or 11. By the time I was 12, my two best friends and I watched all the time. When summer rolled around, I remember sitting on the phone with one of them and only talking during the commercials. I watched until I was about 22 or so. I even listened to them on a tv radio when I worked full time from the time I was 20 to 22. Then I got a part-time job and it just didn't fit with my schedule to keep watching. I just quit - cold turkey. Sometimes I will pass by one on as I am flipping, but they seem pretty silly to me now.

Remember their wedding???? My college classes had a marked number of female students missing that day :)

...some of the girls I knew stayed home from school to watch their wedding on television. I never watched it myself, though.

My grandmother watched all the CBS soaps (the only channel she got) for many years -- I remember week-long summer visits when we would watch some of them together. She especially liked The Young & the Restless -- it was new then (early 70s). Remember David Hasselhoff as the 2nd Snapper? She also loved The Edge of Night before it moved to ABC. I especially liked Love is a Many Splendored Thing because I liked the theme song. And do you remember Joe & Betsy?

After I got married (1980), I got hooked on The Guiding Light. This was the time when 'Kelly & Morgan' were a hot item, and they often talked about going to 'Laurel Falls'.

After awhile, I realized that the soaps were nothing like real life, and I quit watching them entirely & never looked back -- until now! :)

I have to say that I definitely don't miss the soaps, but that was an interesting "stroll down memory lane".

Must generational: I, too, remember Luke & Laura's wedding. Mom let me skip school to watch it :) (Hey, I was an A/B student. Usually!) I was cognizant of soaps by 5y/o and began watching on my own volition in 2nd grade. Watched every summer until college graduation. I would NEVER let my kids watch this insipid drama.

I've moved to more socially acceptable soaps: ie. Grey's Anatomy, and Desperate Housewives. LOL Like it matters :)

laughing017.gif

Oh, those were the days. And speaking of Days, that was my favorite. I loved Anna & Tony, Calliope & Eugene, Bo and Fancy Face (what's her name?)

Yep, my fav. too! I can see Fancy Face's face, but I can't remember her name.

Then there was the relatively short lived Santa Barbara.

And, back to Days...Jennifer Aniston is Victor Dimerra's (spelling please) daughter.

Memories....

My grandmother watched a couple. I think one was As the World Turns or else The Edge of Night. I would watch them with her if I was there, but at that age I thought them boring. I don't watch daytime TV, but if I did, I might get hooked into one, even though they are so "fake." I was once addicted to a night time soap years ago.

Of course, I'm not in the spring chicken category you're referring to.

Ah, yes, I remember them well. I never got a chance to get hooked 'cause I had to work, even back then, but whenever I did get to watch, every few years, I found I could still follow the story line, LOL, cause it never moved on that fast..... Don't they have a channel just for soaps now? Do folks still watch those?

The soap that I loved best was one that aired when I was a pre-teen and that we could never pick up on our TV, thanks to poor antenna coverage, so I never really got to follow it properly..... Dark Shadows. Now do you remember that one?

Regena

I watched Days until I left for college... my mom has been watching it for as long as it's been on the air. I remember when the main characters were Doug and Julie! LOL.

The time I liked it the most was the same time frame others have mentioned: Patch and Kayla (remember when Patch was evil?), Bo and Hope, Marlena and Roman (before John)... LOL, yeah, Calliope and Eugene.

Went off to college and haven't seen an episode since, though my mom is ever faithful.

I was just thinking about soaps yesterday. I don't often read romance type books, but borrowed Twilight from the library since it seemed to be well liked here on the boards, and LOL! I had a nice walk down soap opera memory lane. It was a nice change of pace. :) (That is one popular book, btw. I was #42 on the request list!)