Menu

S/O Capsule Wardrobe

ashfern

I love the concept of a capsule wardrobe. I pretty much wear the same "uniform" of t-shirt and yoga pants/jeans. With a dress or skirt for church. All of the blogs with ideas I'm seeing are dressier than what I wear day-to-day. Are there any ideas out there for how to do a more casual wardrobe? Linen, white/ivory, flowing clothes are gorgeous but not practical when I'm cooking, cleaning, and hiking with the kids.

• Like 4

I have made my own sort-of wardrobe in the last 2 years and it has been much better than before. I like to wear jeans, so I have blue and black. I bought blue and black capris as well. Almost all of my tops match blue and black - not too hard.  I like comfy t-shirts with long cardigans and cozy sweaters. So my shirts (a few in each different sleeve length) are black, red, purple, blue, and grey or prints that are combinations of those colors. I have blue, black, and grey cardigans that each match almost all of tops. I have clogs, sneakers, sandals, and boots - all black. So I am always casual but I don't have to think too much about stuff matching - it just does. If I want to look dressier - like I am going out to dinner and I decide maybe I want to look a little better - I have a few scarves that look good with all of my solid tops. This would all be easier if I kept all of my tops solid, but I am a sucker for some prints. Those tops, I figure, are interesting enough so I don't worry about dressing them up.

So when I get dressed I just have to think about the weather. I wear aprons for cooking/cleaning so I don't really have to think about keeping things from being stained. If I am doing dirty work or scrubbing the floor, I will wear one of the shirts and sweatpants that I use for exercising.

Also. I didn't just go out and buy all new stuff. I just realized that I naturally gravitated to black/grey/blue, with a few bright colors. I stopped buying green and tan, which never work for me. And I was always buying skirts and then not wearing them - I had to just give it up. When I first started thinking about a "capsule wardrobe" several years ago, I imagined that I would wear a-line skirts and tights. Nope - I looked ridiculous. Everything I have bought in the past 2 years has matched stuff I already had.

I do have 2 dressy tops than only look good with black, so I have a pair of pants just for them. And I have 2 dresses - both black. All of the cardigans look good with them.

This sound complicated - but it is not dressy or flowing or fancy-ish. Just me.

Of course, this will only keep working if I don't gain/lose any weight. I am at my heaviest weight right now and I actually dread losing weight...becasue I'll have to start getting new clothes! Sounds nice but it's really exhausting.

• Like 4

CAbI focusses on this, and some of their capsules are based on jeans.

I don't do capsules, exactly, but I wear a lot of black and near black, and that goes with just about everything.

I have one black suit, and two Vickki Vi black dresses, and 2 pairs of black pants, and 1 pair of charcoal pants, and 1 pair of charcoal jeans.  (And normal blue jeans also--3 pairs, which is high for me).  Most of my tops can dress up or down--down with the jeans, up with the suit.  The Vickki Vi dresses are sleeveless.  You can put any color or print of jacket over them--black or somber brown for funerals, bright white for spring, denim or a heavy open sweater for casual, pumps or flat closed leather shoes for business, strappy patent high heeled sandals or platforms for dressy, Fit Flops for summer casual.  

So I would say that although I don't do capsule dressing per se, I have found some really versatile clothes over the years and mostly wear those, which is almost the same. 

I'm starting to get into leggings now, because they are so comfortable (can't believe this).  That's throwing my system into chaos.

Edited by Carol in Cal.
  • Like 2

My guess is the font made it look like a lower case "L" so I copied and pasted. Not sure if this is the right capsule, but it's probably somewhere on the site if not this link: https://www.cabionline.com/2017/02/07/cabi-clothing-spring-wardrobe-capsule

I'm looking at this site and I still don't totally understand what it is. Care to explain??? I do like the clothes though. Super cute!

I'm looking at this site and I still don't totally understand what it is. Care to explain??? I do like the clothes though. Super cute!

CAbI stands for Carol Anderson by Invitation.

It's an MLM company that sells women's clothing in home parties.

I don't sell it, and they don't go up to 2X so I can't wear it anymore, but a few pounds back it was one of my favorite sources for clothes.  

They tend to be on trend but a bit muted, which is perfect for me.  What I mean by that, for instance, is that they have flowy skirts, but they tend not to be see through.  Or they have tank tops, but they are 'bra-friendly'.  

I still wear some of the stretchy tops that I bought from them back when I was an XL, and they have held up really well.  Plus some of them are suitable for business suits AND jeans, and they are washable, which is not as common for business-capable clothing as you might hope.

In general, the company tries to make clothes work for more than just one year; so they don't, for instance, have the colors clash year to year (opposite of, say, baby decor designs).

• Like 1

I love the concept of a capsule wardrobe. I pretty much wear the same "uniform" of t-shirt and yoga pants/jeans. With a dress or skirt for church. All of the blogs with ideas I'm seeing are dressier than what I wear day-to-day. Are there any ideas out there for how to do a more casual wardrobe? Linen, white/ivory, flowing clothes are gorgeous but not practical when I'm cooking, cleaning, and hiking with the kids.

I think Alison Lumbatis at Get Your Pretty On has the best ideas for more casual outfits. She does seasonal "style challenges" where she gives a list of pieces to buy (or get from your closet -- most are pretty standard basics), along with various outfit combinations. She's good about suggesting substitute pieces as well. She also features a SAHM/WAHM outfit on her blog every Monday.

I did two or three of her challenges after I lost a lot of weight and needed to replace my wardrobe at a reasonable cost. I found them to be very easy to use, even as style challenged as I am. I like having easy, go-to outfits that make me look put-together and feel good but are comfortable and casual.

• Like 4

I think Alison Lumbatis at Get Your Pretty On has the best ideas for more casual outfits. She does seasonal "style challenges" where she gives a list of pieces to buy (or get from your closet -- most are pretty standard basics), along with various outfit combinations. She's good about suggesting substitute pieces as well. She also features a SAHM/WAHM outfit on her blog every Monday.

I did two or three of her challenges after I lost a lot of weight and needed to replace my wardrobe at a reasonable cost. I found them to be very easy to use, even as style challenged as I am. I like having easy, go-to outfits that make me look put-together and feel good but are comfortable and casual.

I've looked at that website a bit. For the challenges, do you pay and then she tells you exactly what pieces to purchase and how to wear them? Does she give alternatives at different price points? It looks like a neat idea...just trying to figure out if the cost is justified.

Are there any sites that give this information for free? I know...bloggers need to make money too. And they obviously have a skill that I don't have, so they should be compensated for it.

I have done a couple challenges for Get Your Pretty On. She does have 3 store links for each piece she has on her capsule. She also has a plus size option for all pieces now with 3 store links too I think. Her options this spring are mostly target and Nordstrom. I don't have either :) but have been able to look up the piece on Zappos or locally find something.

Her capsule is usually 3 shirts, 3 pants, a dress, jacket or sweater, scarves, necklaces and shoes.

I'm a fairly predictable dresser, so I don't do all the options, but it has directed my shopping so I'm buying things that go with stuff I already have.

You can subscribe to her email for free and she has a lot on there. You'll really get a sense of her style from that. You might be able to get other smaller or older capsules for free.

Also, I'm not on Facebook, but if you are and buy a challenge , you can join the Facebook page where people post pics of outfits they put together and stores where they found their pieces. I think that would be very helpful.

• Like 1

Capsule wardrobes are really a re-branding of someting that as been suggested for years - it used to be titled something like "wardrobe basics" - a set of basic interchangeable/coordinated pieces.

It's a nice idea, but I think often these days it's being used to sell things, which is the opposite of what it is really intended to do!  Really, it will be different for everyone, depending on your needs.

• Like 2

I've looked at that website a bit. For the challenges, do you pay and then she tells you exactly what pieces to purchase and how to wear them? Does she give alternatives at different price points? It looks like a neat idea...just trying to figure out if the cost is justified.

Are there any sites that give this information for free? I know...bloggers need to make money too. And they obviously have a skill that I don't have, so they should be compensated for it.

She gives examples of exact pieces, but you don't have to go with those, although her picks are generally pretty middle-of-the-road in terms of cost. The shopping suggestions are pretty basic (e.g., two solid-colored t-shirts, dark wash jeans, navy or neutral cardigan, floral scarf). It's really very flexible -- most everything can be customized by fit, style, and price point. A t-shirt can be v-neck or crew-neck, fitted or loose, short- or cap- or 3/4-sleeved, etc. Whatever suits you best. And obviously, they can be $50 at Nordstrom or $8 from Target (my personal pick).

For non-neutrals, you choose 1-2 colors and try to stick with those. She gives color suggestions based on what's trending that season, but of course you don't have to go in that direction. For example, she likes animal prints and I don't, so I substitute patterns that appeal to me, or other neutrals. I usually pick out one of the patterned pieces (say, a scarf) that I like first and then try to base my other color selections on that. She's very clear about which pieces need to coordinate, which makes it easier to know when you can pick something that is off your color scheme.

I have not found any blogs that do it this well for free. Trust me, I looked. I suppose it depends on how much hand-holding you need (I need A LOT!). If you sign up for her emails, she used to give access to one of her older challenges for free. Also, you can get the SAHM Wardrobe Builder list here: http://getyourprettyon.com/sahm-casual-wardrobe-capsule-builder/. It doesn't include the outfits, just a list of pieces.

I am a cheapskate, but for me, it has been considerably more cost-effective to pay for her guidance and end up with exactly and only what I need than to go it alone. And I feel really good when I have a simple, put-together outfit ready to go.

• Like 2

I have not found any blogs that do it this well for free. Trust me, I looked. I suppose it depends on how much hand-holding you need (I need A LOT!). If you sign up for her emails, she used to give access to one of her older challenges for free. Also, you can get the SAHM Wardrobe Builder list here: http://getyourprettyon.com/sahm-casual-wardrobe-capsule-builder/. It doesn't include the outfits, just a list of pieces.

I am a cheapskate, but for me, it has been considerably more cost-effective to pay for her guidance and end up with exactly and only what I need than to go it alone. And I feel really good when I have a simple, put-together outfit ready to go.

I also just paid for her guidance.  Well worth it in my opinion because I needed springs clothes and the $20 I paid will give me ideas of what I can do.  Come to find out, a couple of cheap t-shirts, a pretty scarf, and a pair of white pants is all I need to complete the "capsule" using what I already own but had no idea how to pull together.  It saved me a ton of time and money.

• Like 3

After researching a lot, I created my own capsule. I've been wearing it for a month now and I'm very happy with it. It feels very me. I basically just took my favorite styles and cuts, and repeated each of them in my favorite colors and patterns. To be honest, the jeans and shorts get a lot more wear than skirts and dresses, but I like having the option anyway.

http://www.polyvore.com/m/collection?.embedder=3388053&.svc=copypaste-and&id=6390599

Sent from my HTCD160LVW using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I did a capsule wardrobe when we lived in Oklahoma.  I wore cotton sundresses most of the time, and had a couple nice dresses too - including a LBD that could go anywhere.  I also had a handful of workout outfits, pajamas, 2 pairs of jeans and half a dozen t-shirts, half a dozen cardigans and light jackets for layering, half a dozen scarves, and half a dozen pairs of leggings to make sundresses warm enough to wear at any time.

Since we've moved back North I've bought a lot.  I struggle with the thought that I have too many clothes, but I haven't figured out the climate thing yet. I feel like I need more clothes than I am comfortable with, and it's been such a weird winter (with strange 70 degree days followed by snow a few days later) that I'm not happy with boxing up the out of season ones either.  The number of coats I need alone is sort of ridiculous.

Capsule wardrobes are definitely easier when you live in a warm climate.

I learned about capsule wardrobes from Jennifer Scott's Youtube Channel. There's a playlist called the 10 Item Wardrobe that is a great place to start: https://www.youtube.com/user/TheDailyConnoisseur/playlists

Thanks! These videos are very good. Funny...I've been researching capsul wardrobes and I never thought to check youtube! I think I'm showing my age with this...lol.

• Like 1

Capsule wardrobes are really a re-branding of someting that as been suggested for years - it used to be titled something like "wardrobe basics" - a set of basic interchangeable/coordinated pieces.

It's a nice idea, but I think often these days it's being used to sell things, which is the opposite of what it is really intended to do!  Really, it will be different for everyone, depending on your needs.

Way, way, way, way back when I rode a dinosaur to work at the Gap, they had a sales technique called exactly that -- "Wardrobe Basics."   They still use that idea at Banana Republic (Gap's upper end stores), but the name of the technique changes. Lots of other stores use it, too (but primarily where they have high engagement salespeople).

This concept works easiest for customers if they shop for all items in the same store because then you have assurance that the colour lots will coordinate and match (your navys are all the same navy, e.g.)  But, you don't need to pay BR prices to get that same effect.  You can do the same thing shopping Wal-Mart very easily, or Joe Fresh (which does a great job of it for very cheap, IMO). 

Anyway... in my next career, I just want to dress people and shop with/for them.  A capsule wardrobe is fantastic, but if you really want to up your game.... accessories take it to a whole new level and they're easier and cheaper to update and make even a plain white tee shirt and jeans into something really special. 

• Like 1

I did a capsule wardrobe when we lived in Oklahoma.  I wore cotton sundresses most of the time, and had a couple nice dresses too - including a LBD that could go anywhere.  I also had a handful of workout outfits, pajamas, 2 pairs of jeans and half a dozen t-shirts, half a dozen cardigans and light jackets for layering, half a dozen scarves, and half a dozen pairs of leggings to make sundresses warm enough to wear at any time.

Since we've moved back North I've bought a lot.  I struggle with the thought that I have too many clothes, but I haven't figured out the climate thing yet. I feel like I need more clothes than I am comfortable with, and it's been such a weird winter (with strange 70 degree days followed by snow a few days later) that I'm not happy with boxing up the out of season ones either.  The number of coats I need alone is sort of ridiculous.

Capsule wardrobes are definitely easier when you live in a warm climate.

I used to live in FL, then OK, now in the Great White North.  I have rotating wardrobes.  It's just necessary because of the huge range in temperatures.  I can have -20C to -40C in winter and +35C or more in summer. 

For areas with a less drastic change, you can have a mini-capsule to add to your main one -- so for example, add a couple of sweaters and a peacoat to your basic wardrobe.

Years and years (and years) ago there used to be a store that sold clothes that were meant to be a capsule wardrobe I think.  They were all cotton stuff, mostly solid colors but a few patterns that exactly matched the solids.  They would have skirts that could be worn long or short (rolled maybe?), skirts, loose thin jackets, etc.  I vaguely remember the store had everything folded on shelves in columns of color.

Anyone else remember this?

Years and years (and years) ago there used to be a store that sold clothes that were meant to be a capsule wardrobe I think. They were all cotton stuff, mostly solid colors but a few patterns that exactly matched the solids. They would have skirts that could be worn long or short (rolled maybe?), skirts, loose thin jackets, etc. I vaguely remember the store had everything folded on shelves in columns of color.

I remember vaguely

Years and years (and years) ago there used to be a store that sold clothes that were meant to be a capsule wardrobe I think.  They were all cotton stuff, mostly solid colors but a few patterns that exactly matched the solids.  They would have skirts that could be worn long or short (rolled maybe?), skirts, loose thin jackets, etc.  I vaguely remember the store had everything folded on shelves in columns of color.

We had a store called Units at our mall

http://www.liketotally80s.com/2015/05/units/

I think there was a competitor called Multiples at about the same time.

• Like 1

I don't "capsule," officially. However, since going back to work, I have centered my wardrobe on a certain color palatte: black, brown, grey, navy, red. I have collected similar, mix-and-matchable pieces in those colors (pants, nicer solid-color t-shirts, sleeveless blouses and cardigans/kimono-style wrappers). On any given day, I can reliably and quickly put together pieces to make an outfit.

A nice side benefit is that having some parameters in place curbs my impulse buying. I am a lot less likely to buy something just because it strikes my fancy if it clearly doesn't fit into the existing framework.

Edited by Jenny in Florida
  • Like 2