Menu

ds's eczema is flaring up...what lotion to buy??

Weleda Calendula Baby Cream has worked for us. It doesn't sting.

This is wonderful cream. I have had eczema since I was eight and it is the best I have used to date. I use the 'weather protection' version. It really stays on, protects and is one of the very few that doesn't sting.

We have used some stuff called "Bag Balm" (Wal Mart, pet products or feed store) that works pretty good, if you can stand the smell. It's meant for dairy farmers (Vermont invention), but I use it in the winter when my fingers occ. get 'cracks' in them. Put a glob of it on and wrap it in band aids, overnight. Relieves pain instantly. Comes in a green can and is fairly cheap.

HTH.

If it had to be rx: Elidil

regular grocery store creams: Eucerin or Nivea (the one in the dark blue bottle)

natural stuff: calendula and beeswax combo- sold at healthfood stores, anything made by Weleda also sold at health food stores, like Whole Foods

We just tried Weleda for the firtst time for the baby, he has a peeling head from cradle cap and it helps a lot.

vitamins: make sure he gets enough of the good fats to help him absorb vitamin a and d. Cod liver oil is a person with eczema's best friend.

Can you tell we have someone with severe eczema in the house?

Over the years, I've learned that some folks with eczema can tolerate lanolin, others cannot. We can, but my niece & nephew cannot. We just use a topical hydrocortisone (sparingly, only when really needed), and cover with Aquaphor. It does have a touch of lanolin. Other than that, unscented petroleum jelly has worked best for us. The trick is to get it on immediately following bathtime - within 3 minutes, said our doc.

Eczema is such a challenge, it seems everyone who has it has a different trigger and a different "best" treatment. Hope you find yours easily!

Eucerin made my dd scream in pain. Very wierd. We finally went to a dermatologist who told us to stick her in the bath for about 20 minutes until she looked like a prune, blot her with a towel and then - THIS IS THE CRITICAL PART - within 3 minutes of getting out of the tub, slather her with Vaseline and put clean pjs on.

Seriously, up to this point (about 3 years), she had exzema so bad, she looked like a burn victim, and she would scream in pain with it. We were at our wit's end. Within two "treatments" of this bath/prune/vaseline, it completely cleared up. Not one issue since then. We occasionally will do it just to be preventative, but I really think if we stopped altogether, it would not come back. Really unbelievable as we had tried every lotion/potion/wive's tale treatment out there.

My dd had eczema from head to toe and we've used everything mentioned here. We got Weleda from Whole Foods if you have one. Otherwise check whatever health food store you have.

We found to clear her eczema it was more important to bathe her in something as simple as possible. Then, which lotion we used didn't make much difference. We switched to Dr. Bonner's castille soap and she cleared wonderfully. We use the unscented baby version which we also get at the aforementioned places. It comes in a bar or liquid. We still use it on her even though she hasn't had eczema in years. In fact, I switched to it too and it has made a drastic difference for me.:)

For us, there isn't one 'magic bullet' but instead a comprehensive multi pronged approach to manage severe eczema. Well, for me there was a magic bullet (getting off gluten and most dairy and soy) but for my dd, there isn't the same 'magic';)

Here's what we do.....peiced together by our derm, our ped allergist and my own experience of what works:

1)get some thermal water: evian, vichy, la roche posay (preferred), or uriage. OR even plain distilled water and pour into a spray bottle

2)get some vaseline. plain petroleum jelly....or aquaphor healing ointment (petroleum jelly with a couple other ingredients that are helpful)....store brand is fine.

3)have the cortisone handy and get some elidel (if needed based on severity)

4)cerave lotion and cerave cleanser are as close to magic as I know of. They have the evidence based threesome of cholesterol, fatty acids and ceramides in *significant* amounts. (CVS. target carries behind pharmacy counter. any pharmacy can order in a day. costco and sam's etc)

5)bath filter (it's a ball that hangs on the water spout and filters chlorine). or shower filter may be necessary. it removes chlorine. chlorine is a known drying agent and disruptor of barrier function.

Here's the routine:

1)Bath *daily* (or at least shower)...warm enough so he doesn't get chilled, by not any warmer.....run a space heater in the bathroom to get it warm, if necessary.

2)Wash body ONLY with Cerave Cleanser. Do not shampoo him in the tub. After 10-20 min when everything is good and soaked, exit tub. [shampooing his hair needs to be done with him lying on the bathroom or kitchen counter, head over the sink in your hand so the suds don't ever get on his skin]

3)pat dry ......if not using a shower filter/bath ball filter, spray on thermal water to 'rinse' off tap water (just on the eczema) and pat dry....do this a few times so that the skin really has the thermal water 'in' there.

4)apply cortisone or elidel if needed.

5)apply cerave lotion over everywhere. apply vaseline/aquaphor over eczema spots (over cerave)

6)two additional times per day, spray with thermal water/distilled water.... spray/pat dry, spray/pat/spray/pat--> this allows skin to absorb moisture, then *immediately* apply vaseline/aquaphor to seal in moisture (elidel or cortisone may be applied first if you're trying to get a severe outbreak under control....up to 4x per day)

*****the moistening of the skin, followed by meds, followed by lotions/creams needs to occur 2-4x per day during an active eczema outbreak. *******However....what you'll find, is that you can keep it from ever erupting by 1)lukewarm bathing daily 2)using only non foaming cleansers (cerave is much better than cetaphil 3)shampooing not in the bath 4)applying CeraVe immediately after drying off Every. Single. Day. if he's not itching when there is NOT and outbreak.

******If he IS itching, *before you see the rash* then you *immediately*: 1)bathe....if that's not possible, spray with thermal water or distilled water then pat/spray/pat/spray/pat 3)immediately apply cerave then aquaphor/vaseline....

With a very proactive routine (bath/dry/thermal water/dry/lotion in pm thermal water/lotion in am) I am able to keep our elidel use to about never for my 7 yo.

If she skips a few days, we can be back to 3x per day application just like >that<. If we skip a week, we're back on meds for sudden, severe, intractable outbreaks. The key is being proactive regardless of symptoms, then stepping it up a notch if you see scratching.

Since eczema is the 'itch that rashes' we should be treating the *itching* as the first symptom rather than waiting for the rash (the last symptom). at that point, it's already harder to treat, it's disrupting their sleep, the treatments can itch/burn etc etc. Of course, unscented laundry detergent....no fabric softener except when you absolutely must and then unscented. It's not possible to moisturize this child too much.

Keep the arsenal of skin stuff well stocked and with you at all times. We keep cerave lotion/cleanser at every sink, every bathtub. Aquaphor is in my purse, in her backpack, in every bathroom/bedroom...dh's car....etc

All the best,

Katherine

Oh! and on the shampooing front, I mostly shampoo her hair with her standing at the edge of the tub, bending forward at the waist into the tub. When she was little, I'd place her on the counter on her backk and would hold her head over the sink to shampoo.

Now we can shampoo in the bath/shower when her skin is good.....but if I see itching start, shampooing gets moved out of the tub as a before bath routine.

:)

Katherine

Wow, thanks for the info. Dc are starting to really struggle and I will be off to look for some of these products. One thing I would add is fish oil. I have been giving them Omega -3 vitamins but cod liver oil would probably be better. It seems to be holding at bay. I think it was Calikat that said to treat before the rash and I couln't agree more. We have to remember the itch is internal and the rash topical. Need to treat both and if we can prevent the itch all the better.

We were using Eucerin or Aquaphor for dd's eczema. Her doctor recommended using plain petroleum jelly and using 1% hydrocortisone cream for a short period (two weeks) for especially bad breakouts. I don't think Aquaphor is okay, but her doctor advised us to stop using Eucerin, as it contains lanolin which could be a problem if dd were allergic to wool, a common allergin.

I've bought it at the local health food store, at a food co-op, in the natural or organic section of a supermarket, and recently at www.vitacost.com. Vitacost's price is good.

ETA: Make sure you get the baby cream and not the baby *diaper* cream. They're different. The diaper cream has zinc oxide, which you won't want to wear around on your face. LOL.

Edited by Luann in ID

I haven't been using this for very long or very consistently, but we have been putting some coconut oil on dd's eczema and it really seems to be helping. It absorbs so well and she is reporting that it is helping with the itching a lot as well.

We have used hydrocortisone, Eucerin, Eucerin Calming Creme, pj with moderate results.

I think if I get a chlorine filter (which I really need too in the winter) and get her going on some CLO, we might get this figured out yet.

~Staci

<<I don't think Aquaphor is okay, but her doctor advised us to stop using Eucerin, as it contains lanolin which could be a problem if dd were allergic to wool, a common allergin.>>

aquaphor is an evidence based topical for eczema/atopic dermatitis intervention/tx. the lanolin is triple purified and contains no wool/sheep related proteins at the end of processing.

at some point I had the cites. can't find them on this computer. they may be on the other machine. a pubmed search of the right terms would yeild the info.

All the best,

Katherine

<<but we have been putting some coconut oil on dd's eczema and it really seems to be helping. It absorbs so well and she is reporting that it is helping with the itching a lot as well.>>

I so wanted coconut oil to work. I love it for so many reasons. But it made both dd and I very dry and triggered her eczema from the dryness/barrier disruption/TEWL (total epidermal water loss). It was very disappointing.

She's not allergic to it, so there must be another mechanism at work.

Make sure to check the A to D ratio in the CLO as you're choosing. Many have unsatisfactory ratios as high as 20 to 1 (A to D). The ideal ratio isn't known yet, but with the current epidemic of vitamin D deficiency, it's looking like it's more likely in the 3-5 A to D ratio and not higher than that. In other words, 3-5 parts A to 1 part D. Higher than that often has the opposite (dries skin/tissues) effect of what is desired.

Carlson liquid CLO is the only one I know of with pretty close to the ideal ratio. Their lemon clo is one of the better tasting ones available. If you choose another based on brand/price/taste be sure to add additional D as needed to optimize ratios.

It's a great idea to be taking D anyway (and esp this time of year). vitamindcouncil.org Don't let his anti-A stance unnerve you. He's so excited about vitamin D that he has forgotten that in humans, it's alllllll about the ratios (D to A, cal/mag, sodium/potassium etc)

Katherine

My middle child used to have head to toe ezcema as a baby. After about four months, I finally figured out that he is allergic to detergents.

I took every item of clothing in the house (everybody's, not just his) and every item of bedding and washed it in plain water and a double rinse. I tossed all of our detergent and switched to All Free and Clear Liquid. I use 1/2 the amount called for and a double rinse every wash. I don't use any kind of fabric softner. I also got rid of our soap and switched to either glycerin or homemade lye soap. I former I hate; the latter is expensive unless you make it yourself. I've also found that Oil of Olay Creme Ribbons feels nice on our skin without causing problems.

His ezcema began clearing up immediately. He had one patch left on his foot that wasn't clearing up. I got rid of that with triple antibiotic ointment. I know a dermatologist who once told me that ezcema sufferers have an overgrowth of bacteria on their skin and that treatment with internal and external antibiotics will resolve it. Well, the triple antibiotic ointment cleared up that last remaining patch.

He's been ezcema free for over 6 years now.

Oh! and on the shampooing front, I mostly shampoo her hair with her standing at the edge of the tub, bending forward at the waist into the tub. When she was little, I'd place her on the counter on her backk and would hold her head over the sink to shampoo.

Now we can shampoo in the bath/shower when her skin is good.....but if I see itching start, shampooing gets moved out of the tub as a before bath routine.

Katherine

If shampoo is a problem, you could try going "no poo". Instead of shampoo, use 2T baking soda dissolved in 1 cup of water. Pour that on the hair and work it into the scalp. Rinse it out and follow with a vinegar rinse of 2T apple cidar vinegar in 1 cup of water. Since there are no artificial chemicals in these, it would probably not irritate the skin. I'm been using this for about a month and love it. My hair is soft, shiny, healthy, less oily, and has more volume. I have long thick hair so I double the amounts above to make 2 cups of each. Just don't get either in the eyes...they sting.

My dd used to have very bad eczema, however her was due to food allergies. Once I cleared up her diet she has not had flares up. Eczema is, most of the time, a sympthon of something else going on. Check her for allergies too. I made a cream for my dd with bees wax, cocoa butter, olive oil and comfrey powder. Then another time I added calendula. Both works really well.

Best luck. Be well

Miriam

My neighbor swears by Renew by Melaleuca. She says her daughters' (yes, more than one) skin is dependent on it.

I would also check diet. You might contact Chembalance (dot come) and see if Karen has any suggestions.

Allison in TX

We love Renew here! It has worked wonders for my dd and her eczema. We don't have to use hydrocortisone when we have Renew. I'd forgotten this; dd's eczema is really flaring right now so I will have her start using this again.

For Schmooey, we're using Eucerin, and I have some stuff from Freederm - their Dermal Soothing Cream and Intense Moisturizer. I put some on his arm where the eczema gets bad, but it never worked for Emma and I'm not sure if it's that or the Eucerin that is helping. Anyone else use the products from Freederm with any success?

My dd used to have very bad eczema, however her was due to food allergies. Once I cleared up her diet she has not had flares up. Eczema is, most of the time, a sympthon of something else going on. Check her for allergies too. I made a cream for my dd with bees wax, cocoa butter, olive oil and comfrey powder. Then another time I added calendula. Both works really well.

Best luck. Be well

Miriam

I did a story for a television series recently on a woman who turned to a Macrobiotic Diet to help re-build her heath after suffering with cancer, and going through several cancer related surgeries.

A side benefit of her dietary change was that her life-long eczema cleared up. And her eczema was really bad. One "anecdotal" case doesn't "prove" that a Macrobiotic Diet "cures" eczema, but I found it interesting that in her case that the cause and effect seemed very strong.

In fact, after a number of years eating a Macrobiotic Diet, during which time her eczema cleared, she then fell off the diet and the eczema returned. At which point she went back to being Macrobiotic and the eczema cleared again.

Just something to think about.

I don't think this cream was mentioned. I bought ShiKai Borage Pediatric Lotion. I've seen it at whole foods. (It has a teddy bear on the bottle.)

My bathing routine -- I don't encourage my kids to bathe a lot in the winter (er, you know what I mean?). I don't think they need constant soaking, but I do want them to be clean! I heavily water down the soap-less wash for my kids, and use very little even then. I rarely shampoo their hair (doesn't get greasy at their age). I rinse very well. I do this at the end of the bath, and don't let them soak in the soapy water. When they get out, I put on the cream. It is not so successful at clearing up bad problems, but is better for maintenance and small spots. Does not seem to burn or otherwise bother their skin.

Cetaphil lotion and castille soap, if any soap. She often just shampoos and rinses clean. I think the big thing is finding triggers and avoiding them. Soaps, dyes, dehydration, too much sugar, not enough Omega 3's, etc.

I know several mentioned long baths, but this only works for some...just like the lanolin. This actually makes some much worse (my daughter is one of them.) She is best with 5 minutes or less baths every 3 days.

Another favorite lotion that NEVER stings and smells like chocolate is Palmer's Cocoa Butter. Good stuff and inexpensive.

We discovered with my dd that B vitamins and Acidophilus help her greatly. When on them, she's eczema free.

You probably know all of this, but in case you are bored....here are two blog entries I wrote about healing eczema:

http://whitetrashmama.blogspot.com/2007/07/itch-that-rashes.html

http://whitetrashmama.blogspot.com/2007/07/crusty-sores-part-duo.html

the only cream that has greatly improved her skin, even more than hydracortisone is one by Burts Bee. http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=156336&catid=21503

When you do put it on make sure there is no broken skin because then it will burn. It is also very good at preventing future break outs. I put it on my dd after showers and sometimes in the morning and night. I saw results the next day. I have tried every possible over the counter cream/lotion/ointment and many prescribed ones as well. It has done wonders for me and everyone I have recommended it to. It's a bit pricey but worth every penny.

Michelle

Edited by mLeroux