Menu

Short romantic anniversary trip..where?

Mbelle

We have a milestone anniversary coming up this spring! I'm looking for ideas!  However, due to visiting dh family most of June, we only have Thurs-Sunday for a getaway, because of limited vacation time off.  It doesn't have to be super cheap, but it can't really be extravagant, because of the family trip.  We live in the Southeast.  We are thinking of something warm, but we kicked around going to a big city somewhere too.

We are really not sure about any of these ideas, but I've gotten ideas off the Hive before!

Cruise carribean

Miami

NYC

Sea Island..so expensive 

I think we want to relax, have nice dinners and drinks, maybe a show or something.

So, open to any suggestions.  Even different than the above stated what we think we want.

since you're talking four days *including* travel - I would make it as easy access and close to home as is practical.  

I've reached the point when i go away - I want peace and quiet.  I want to do nothing but enjoy the views and be waited on.   we recently went to a nice B&B on the outskirts of what's a tourist area. four days. I didn't want to spend time traveling.   it was nice.  we had a lovely view, it was quiet - and we could go into town and play tourist if we wanted to.  or not. . . .

• Like 3

Branson, MO?

If I had a long weekend and didn't have to fly 8 hours to get there, I would probably do Disney World and then all the kids would be mad I didn't take them...... I love the restaurants and the entertainment. And I would finally get to go to the Animal park there which all my kids think is dumb.....

New Orleans or Memphis is nice for a weekend too. Or fly to Vegas?

• Like 1

I'll just add something to think about.

Remember the return trip. 

If it's more than 2 hours or so (and you have even SLIGHT travel problems), it tends to undo all the relaxation & makes it stressful to just get back home.

DH and I went to a small historic town about 2 hours away for our #30 last year, and enjoyed touring the homes, eating nice food, etc.

"Re-entry" as I call it can be brutal if you're caught off-guard. 

So plan to have a little margin on the return trip.  :)

(Just my 2 cents.)

Happy Anniversary!  It really is wonderful to celebrate it with just the two of you.

• Like 4

We have a milestone anniversary coming up this spring! I'm looking for ideas! However, due to visiting dh family most of June, we only have Thurs-Sunday for a getaway, because of limited vacation time off. It doesn't have to be super cheap, but it can't really be extravagant, because of the family trip. We live in the Southeast. We are thinking of something warm, but we kicked around going to a big city somewhere too.

We are really not sure about any of these ideas, but I've gotten ideas off the Hive before!

Cruise carribean

Miami

NYC

Sea Island..so expensive

I think we want to relax, have nice dinners and drinks, maybe a show or something.

So, open to any suggestions. Even different than the above stated what we think we want.

Savannah or Charleston?

• Like 4

Prekids when we were both seriously gainfully employed but super busy we would go away for a weekend and stay for 2-3 nights in a bed and breakfast.

We picked the places based on the B and B, and then explored from there.  But what we wanted was an awesome room in an awesome building, so that was our priority.

A few times we stayed in lovely Victorian places.  Once we stayed in the octagonal room that comprised the entire top floor of a 70s style modern hillside house.  It's entry was a trapdoor, and there were windows on 7 sides.  Our stays were varied and always great.  If I had just a few days, that's what I would do again.

• Like 1

I love Charleston and Savannah!! They are truly lovely cities with excellent restaurants!

We're coming up on 10 years and had hoped for something bigger to celebrate but I'll be 34 weeks pregnant and nothing sounds too fun at that point. So I think we will stay where we did on our wedding night and just keep it simple.

• Like 2

I've reached the point when i go away - I want peace and quiet.  I want to do nothing but enjoy the views and be waited on.   

Yes, this is exactly what we want!  I do not even want to see a kitchen!

I do enjoy Charleston and Savannah.  We have done that a few times so I think we will do that again another time.

New Orleans was a consideration, but I think that might be another trip.

Las Vegas..lol..dh does want to experience LV and I'll do that on another trip.  I just can't get into the idea, but lots of people say it's fun!

I've never thought about Crystal River.  I'm going to look into that.

I think we may  end up at the beach as suggested.  However, without kids to pay for we can stay at fancy place and just relax.  

I hesitated about it, because whichever coast we head to is always a family vacation spot, but actually it's starting to sound about right!  

It's a bit further than 2 hours, but it's not that far and hopefully the re entry won't be too bad.  

• Like 1

My husband and I are looking at a trip to New England this fall for a milestone anniversary.  We'd have a couple more days than you, but if you haven't been there, maybe consider that.  We'll fly into Boston and then drive north to Maine, staying in an Airbnb on the beach somewhere.  We can day-trip around if we want to see some things but don't have a bunch of plans in that regard.  Maybe into Portland for a day, maybe a pretty drive into New Hampshire or something.  We'll see.  I would like to go to Fenway Park on the way back if possible, but the days may not match up with home games.  

• Like 1

So, today we looked at the 2nd closest beach location and the nice resort hotels.  One was already booked out for May, the other one booked out today! :(    

We did go to Quebec city once!  I did really like it.

We just went to NH and Maine to visit friends in December.  Very pretty.    

I might have to put flying somewhere back on the possibility list.

Bahamas, Colorado...will check out both of those.

Anyone done New Mexico?

I was going to suggest NOLA, also.  But I see you have that in mind for another trip.  We've done Jazz Fest several years over a 4-day weekend (and that's plenty for such an energetic place).

In case you are interested...this is our tried and true approach to NOLA after going with large groups, family, and alone as a couple over the past 15 years (7 trips total).

Jazz Fest is the last weekend in April and the first weekend in May.  Our itinerary Fri-Mon usually consists of Friday in the Quarter/Frenchman Street, Saturday at Fest, Sunday at Fest or tours (depends on who is with us), Monday casual eats and blood mary before travel home.  Our cost consistently (in last 5 years) has been $3500 per adult couple.  That includes staying at Sheraton on Canal with Fest discount, flying Southwest, one evening meal $$$, another evening meal $$$$, Fest tickets, taxis, one tour, all other eats casual, drinks on Bourbon/Frenchman.  http://www.nojazzfest.com/

But on any given 4-day weekend, I would Day1) travel/stroll the Quarter down to Jean Lafittes, Mr B's for dinner ($$$$), Day2) famous breakfast place, browse the great art on Royal, hang out on Frenchman and people watch while listening to some of the most amazing jazz/blues music ever, famous dinner place ($$$), Day3) take a tour!, so many to choose from, my favorites are plantations and tomb of Madam Laveau, learned so much doing both, skip haunted house tour, casual dining/drinks at interesting stuff from previous days, Day4) Cafe du Monde or eggs and bloody marys, travel home.

Our good friends have done New Mexico as a trip. It looked like they had a ton of fun--White Sands, Area 51, Carlsbad Caverns, Ruidoso, etc.

Edited by aggie96
  • Like 1

I was going to suggest NOLA, also.  But I see you have that in mind for another trip.  We've done Jazz Fest several years over a 4-day weekend (and that's plenty for such an energetic place).

In case you are interested...this is our tried and true approach to NOLA after going with large groups, family, and alone as a couple over the past 15 years (7 trips total).

Jazz Fest is the last weekend in April and the first weekend in May.  Our itinerary Fri-Mon usually consists of Friday in the Quarter/Frenchman Street, Saturday at Fest, Sunday at Fest or tours (depends on who is with us), Monday casual eats and blood mary before travel home.  Our cost consistently (in last 5 years) has been $3500 per adult couple.  That includes staying at Sheraton on Canal with Fest discount, flying Southwest, one evening meal $$$, another evening meal $$$$, Fest tickets, taxis, one tour, all other eats casual, drinks on Bourbon/Frenchman.  http://www.nojazzfest.com/

But on any given 4-day weekend, I would Day1) travel/stroll the Quarter down to Jean Lafittes, Mr B's for dinner ($$$$), Day2) famous breakfast place, browse the great art on Royal, hang out on Frenchman and people watch while listening to some of the most amazing jazz/blues music ever, famous dinner place ($$$), Day3) take a tour!, so many to choose from, my favorites are plantations and tomb of Madam Laveau, learned so much doing both, skip haunted house tour, casual dining/drinks at interesting stuff from previous days, Day4) Cafe du Monde or eggs and bloody marys, travel home.

Our good friends have done New Mexico as a trip. It looked like they had a ton of fun--White Sands, Area 51, Carlsbad Caverns, Ruidoso, etc.

I might have to reconsider NOLA.  I think you hooked me reminding me of bloody mary's!  I'm on losing weight and eating right,  right now!   I'd have to fly, but it's likely not too expensive.  

• Like 1

Ok, DH is interested in the Jazz Fest!

But on any given 4-day weekend, I would Day1) travel/stroll the Quarter down to Jean Lafittes, Mr B's for dinner ($$$$), Day2) famous breakfast place Which one(s) especially?, browse the great art on Royal, hang out on Frenchman and people watch while listening to some of the most amazing jazz/blues music ever, famous dinner place ($$$) Which famous dinner places do you like?, Day3) take a tour!, so many to choose from, my favorites are plantations and tomb of Madam Laveau, learned so much doing both, skip haunted house tour, casual dining/drinks at interesting stuff from previous days, Day4) Cafe du Monde or eggs and bloody marys, travel home. 

Allright, we have been to Jazzfestival in Charleston, so this has our attention at the moment!

Dh is a foodie and I don't mind it myself.  

We will see if it's doable!

So, today we looked at the 2nd closest beach location and the nice resort hotels. One was already booked out for May, the other one booked out today! :(

We did go to Quebec city once! I did really like it.

We just went to NH and Maine to visit friends in December. Very pretty.

I might have to put flying somewhere back on the possibility list.

Bahamas, Colorado...will check out both of those.

Anyone done New Mexico?

Finger Lakes in NY? Do you like wineries and breweries?

• Like 1

We did spend some time researching NOLA Jazz Fest and would love to go there.  

We will have to think about the cost though.  If we weren't heading over to see dh's family just a few weeks later it'd be easier to have more time and budget.  

Now checking out Jekyll and Amelia.  I went to Jekyll about 35 years ago! 

We do have a side business that ramps up every so often and right now it seems to be hopping, so maybe we will make some extra $$$ so we can have a little more breathing room!

• Like 1

I'd be tempted to look for major shows/plays/operas/etc in the larger cities around me. If I saw one that appealed to both of us, I might plan the weekend around there - nice motel, restaurants.

If shows weren't my thing, I'd look for museums or botanical gardens that might appeal to both of us and plan the weekend around that. 

But I like to do things, so you guys may be different.

How about a Mississippi Review cruise? http://www.mississippirivercruises.com/

• Like 1

Looks like it will be the beach.  We found another hotel on the beach that is not booked out. 

I have allergies really bad on the barrier islands in the spring, so it's going to be the gulf coast.  Love the beaches there.  There are fewer nice restaurants, but there's enough for 3 nights!

We haven't booked yet, because I had such a headache last night and fell asleep while we were searching.

• Like 3