Menu

You know your getting old when.....

lynn

...when you look at former classmates current pictures with their spouses and your classmates look the same to you as they always did so you think, 
"Why did they marry a man so much older than them?"  :tongue_smilie: (ETA: and their spouse is the same age or close to them IRL)

Edited by scrapbookbuzz

Today when I was whining  talking about getting my laundry done, I reminded my teens that I would do my parents' laundry, in a wringer washer machine, use a rinse sink, hang it out on the line, take it down when it was dry, hang it on hangers and put it away, and iron my dad's work shirts. I had to run water into the washer.

My dh said I had to get up at the break of day to get it started, which isn't true, but it made me laugh.

His dad always worked in the electronics sector so their family always had the latest items to make his mom's life easier.  :glare:

• Like 2

When you climb on the chair to change a lightbulb and your 20-something rushes to break your potential fall.

You realize you remember your GRANDMA at the same age.

You realize your parents had been empty nesters for 5 years already at your age.

You're about to graduate out of the strongest readers Costco carries

You don't have time for that anymore.

• Like 5

You don't have time for that anymore.

This.

And when you realize why your parents have been right all along about the governmentese in the Medicare and Social Security enrollment instructions.

There are too many.  :glare:

You know you're old when...a certain tune I whistle my kids think came from a movie they watch that I have never seen or heard.

or computer game.... (they dragged me to see guardians of the galaxy - and I remember when most of those songs were NEW.)

seeing a clock in a 20+ year old movie (that was cheap enough they repeatedly destroyed it) that I actually had.  15 years BEFORE the movie was released.

when you're kids start buying houses. 

and yeah - my mother had several grandchildren at my age . . . .

eta: and about that clock - I remember waking up to the music, what radio station, and getting up on saturday morning to go skiing . . .and being so excited I couldn't go to sleep.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 1

You know you're getting old when the music you grew up on plays on the "oldies" station.

It's been a few years since I heard a song I used to dance to at the bars in college, when it was new, on the "lite FM" station, while driving my minivan home from the grocery store. I blasted it with my windows rolled down.

When your cousins ARE grandparents.  

When you are watching the latest Jason Bourne movie and notice all of Matt Damon's gray hair.

When you are watching the latest Jack Reacher movie and Tom Cruise looks very, very middle aged.  

When Keifer Sutherland has grandbabies.

And these were the teen idols of your youth that are supposed to still be in their 20s.  

ETA: Also, when your BABIES are dating adults.  :glare:

Edited by The Girls' Mom
  • Like 4

this is why you start over in your 40s. dudeing was born the year 1dd graduated from college. I will have been parenting for 40 years when he goes. wow . . . that's a long time.

Well I was going to say that makes me feel tired but then I realized I'll have been parenting for 37 when my youngest leaves for college. Thanks a lot for making me do the math :glare:
  • Like 2

this is why you start over  in  your 40s.  dudeing was born the year 1dd graduated from college.  I will have been parenting for 40 years when he goes.  wow . . . that's a long time.

Now you tell me. I'll be out of my 40s in a few months and my kids are both off at college.

• Like 1

When you first get out of bed and do the "my feet hurt shuffle" -- kinda like the Tim Conway old man walk. Also when you have to explain your examples, like who Tim Conway was and what was the Carol Burnett show.

When you see Don Johnson and he looks old---still good but old. I was totally in love with that man.

• Like 5

Another one:  you get rid of all the Dickens and Thackery and ___ books that you have dusted for 30 years because you're going to read those someday.  

No, you're not.

And you don't care who knows it.