Menu

Do you consider homeschooling your 'job'?

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I consider homeschooling to be one of my jobs. I spend many hours doing it on a daily basis. If I did not do it, someone else would have to, as required by law, because the kids are entitled to an education. As far as I'm concerned, whoever is providing children with an education is doing a job.

My other unpaid job is being the manager of my home and family. If I were not here to do it, someone would else would hopefully get paid for that, too, because no one here has the time, desire, or skills to do it except for me. It is regular, daily, hard work.

I may not be directly paid for these jobs, but I consider the money my husband makes to be pay for both of us. We both work in order to support our family -- the support he provides is financial, and the support I provide is everything else that entails. Each of us has to do our part, or the ship would sink.

Frankly, I think that women who homeschool their children have two jobs, because both are time, energy, and skill intensive. If my children were all in PS, I'd still be working full-time because they aren't in school for many hours of the day. They leave at 7:15 a.m. and return at 2:00 p.m. That would give me just enough time to do what has to be done around here, before the deluge of tasks begins when the kids come home.

RC

Edited by RoughCollie

I did, but not with external pressures...they were internal ones, lol. I had expectations for myself, and I worked hard to achieve them. For example, I expected a school day to be structured and not be sidetracked by other things in my life (laundry, friends, errands, etc). It took discipline to consistently meet my expectations, but I did it. I took educating my kids very, very seriously, and worked hard at it. I don't think you would call me a relaxed homeschooler, lol, but I got the job done and the kids got a great education (and, lest you wonder, they loved being homeschooled as well!).

I've moved on from homeschooling, but I see the rewards of my 15 years of hard work every day. :)

Ria

Does that mean that mothers that don't teach their children school subjects are not fulfilling their duties? Sincerely asking your opinion, not trying to be contrary.

If they are claiming to be a homeschooler, but aren't teaching their kids, yes. Sadly, I've met some of these, and their kids were not getting an education.

If moms don't feel the calling to homeschool, that's fine by me; however, I still think it's a parent's responsibility to be involved with their child's education in whatever form that takes. You don't have to homeschool to be involved in a child's education and learning.

Ria

Absolutely. It's a full-time job. The pressures were internal until high school, then they became external as well (making sure they were ready for testing, would be competitive in the college of their choice, etc.) When my children were younger, it felt like less of a job and more part of being a mom in the lifestyle that we had chosen as a family. Now, though, it's definitely a job.

I have a paying part-time job in addition and it's hard.

Guest Virginia Dawn

Yes, in a sense, I consider homeschooling my job. I have to have some kind of work ethic concerning schooling or I would not accomplish what I think I should accomplish. However, the job is more flexible than a traditional one.

I also tell my kids that schoolwork is their job. They must work at it within a certain time frame, and their work must be done to the best of their ability.

I worked full-time from 18 to 30 so I approach homeschooling much like a job. I give it full attention and am continually looking for ways to improve MY role in homeschooling.

I consider my research, self-education, and purchases to be part of my job. My dh is pretty hands off with schooling, but I'm my biggest critic.

Being a part of this board is part of my job, IMO. I have learned so much and expanded my view of homeschooling from y'all. It's part of networking. The fact we get to have fun here is a nice bonus.

Homeschooling is an important part of my role as a mother too. I approach the mechanics of homeschooling as I would a job, but the actual schooling brings out the Mom in me.

I would also be working full-time if I weren't homeschooling. That thought helps keep me motivated. :D

Here's my opinion on the matter. I've struggled with the idea that homeschooling was a job because I enjoy it but when I truly look at all I do because we homeschool, I see it as a full-time job. The curricula research, finding resources, implementing those resources, lesson planning, etc. I don't see it as any different from what a school teacher does with the exception that I don't have a school district dictating what we should learn, when and what to use. I feel a homeschooler's job is much harder in that aspect, even though curricula selection has become much easier with the vast amount of options.

The way I divide it is to think what would I be doing as a stay-at-home parent vs. a homeschooling parent. That is what I use as a division for homeschooling being a job. I could help with my children's education, lead them in some areas but the bulk of the job would be in the hands of their teachers. Just because I enjoy homeschooling, I don't think that disqualifies the tasks that have to be done. I think it is a job, outside of being mom although being a mom enriches the experience for everyone involved.

....are getting an education

For some, that may mean making sure homework for traditional school gets done. Making sure that kids have time to study and are engaged in worthwhile extras.

For "ME" the schooling is my responsibility, so it is my job.

I find that when I treat it like a job, I take it more seriously. "No, we can't just lay around and watch cartoons. No, I can't stay on the computer all day." It helps me keep a balance on the downtime (which we have PLENTY of.) It helps me balance extras.

I dropped a daytime Bible study for me, because it interfered with homeschooling. And homeschooling HAS to be a priority, just like a job would be.

ETA: The pressure is internal and external. I want to do well. But, my dh wants the kids to do well and I figure we will probably eventually do standardized testing (It's completely voluntary in my state.)

Edited by snickelfritz

The way I divide it is to think what would I be doing as a stay-at-home parent vs. a homeschooling parent. That is what I use as a division for homeschooling being a job. I could help with my children's education, lead them in some areas but the bulk of the job would be in the hands of their teachers. Just because I enjoy homeschooling, I don't think that disqualifies the tasks that have to be done. I think it is a job, outside of being mom although being a mom enriches the experience for everyone involved.

I consider it my job. I also have a part time job in the evenings. God gave me this responsibility through scripture. It is my job as a parent to homeschool my children.

My dh considers homeschooling my job. Now on the other side of this....It is both of our responsibility that our children is getting a great education at home.

Even though the Bible doesn't mandate homeschooling but there are several scriptures that talk about parents teaching their children. We homeschool for religious reasons. Putting our kids in PS will be in violation to several scriptures. It is not a sin per se but it does violate scripture because of what PS are doing and are teaching.

So it is my job per se but alot my foremost responsibility.

I look at it as parents job.

Holly

It sounds like you are getting stuck on the fact that it can't be a job if you really love it. I think those are the best kind of jobs!!! And, I absolutely think that homeschooling is a job. I am (like Ria) NOT a relaxed homeschooler and I take my children's education very seriously. I have goals and expectations, and the only difference is that I don't get paid and I can wear my sweats all day if I want. :-)

I consider being a wife one of my jobs. There are many responsibilities that are separate and distinct from being a mom. One of my other jobs is being a mom. Again there are separate and distinct aspects different from being a wife. My third job is being a homeschool teacher. Many things that fall under homeschooling do not fall under the headings in my other jobs. There are times I feel overworked, but I think the end results of doing all three well will be well worth the effort.

It sounds like you are getting stuck on the fact that it can't be a job if you really love it. I think those are the best kind of jobs!!! And, I absolutely think that homeschooling is a job. I am (like Ria) NOT a relaxed homeschooler and I take my children's education very seriously. I have goals and expectations, and the only difference is that I don't get paid and I can wear my sweats all day if I want. :-)

:iagree: Job doesn't have to mean drudgery. We have to drag my dh away on vacation (and then hide the laptop and iPhone) he loves his work so much. I'm more easily persuaded to take homeschool breaks!

I didn't read the replies, but I wouldn't call it my job. I call it a part of my vocation. Motherhood. For me a job can be temporary, make some money, and it can be gone. A vocation is a lifelong path, one that hopefully has eternal benefits (for me, anyway). Some jobs are vocations, but not all. I had a job at one time - insurance underwriting - but it's gone. Motherhood is still here.

Janet

Well, in a literal sense, it *is* my job as I get compensated to educate others alongside mine.

If I didn't, however, I would not consider it my job.

I would consider it a chosen role in my children's life that necessitates energy, resources, professionalism and planning. I'd expect that my homeschooling activities (the actual schooling, research, planning) be thought of with respect in terms of interuption, time needed, etc.

For me, it's an extension of the family life I've chosen and cultivated. It's not a job; it's sacred; it's a sanctuary. It certainly does have mundane aspects but the opportunity to homeschool my children is priceless.

That opportuntiy being threatened has changed my feelings on the matter. I want to scream at homeschooling moms: Hold them! Keep them close! Kiss your husband/partner!

A job? I don't know. I don't even consider my job a job!

Maybe that's what it is--it's like one of those jobs you don't even consider a job. I mean, if I weren't employed, I would spend all my time reading and thinking about theology, maybe trying to write about it, and definitely volunteering to do it in my local church. So, getting paid for it, and having to schedule that stuff around my employer's expectations, doesn't turn it into a job. It's work, but it's good work. Work that's a pleasure to do.

Same with homeschooling. I have these two precious, beautiful lives that I'm privileged to be a part of. Molding them, as best I can, into the men they will become is part of that privilege, and homeschooling is a subset of that. There's work involved, but it's good work. Work that is sometimes more a pleasure than others, but still good work.

A job? I don't know. I don't even consider my job a job!

Maybe that's what it is--it's like one of those jobs you don't even consider a job. I mean, if I weren't employed, I would spend all my time reading and thinking about theology, maybe trying to write about it, and definitely volunteering to do it in my local church. So, getting paid for it, and having to schedule that stuff around my employer's expectations, doesn't turn it into a job. It's work, but it's good work. Work that's a pleasure to do.

Same with homeschooling. I have these two precious, beautiful lives that I'm privileged to be a part of. Molding them, as best I can, into the men they will become is part of that privilege, and homeschooling is a subset of that. There's work involved, but it's good work. Work that is sometimes more a pleasure than others, but still good work.

Same here. I had a boss once who said if you have a job where most days you look forward to getting up out of bed to go to said job---then you are a fortunate person.

So is hs'ling a job in the sense that I'm busy, productive and valuable? You bet. Is it important even though I find it so enjoyable? You bet. Is it as important to our life as my dh's paying job? You bet.

I've never thought of it as a "job" -- I tend to think of myself as a stay-at-home-mom.

However, in pondering this just now (you bring up such thought provoking threads!), it is my job in the sense that it is my responsibility to see that my children receive a good education.

I really like this:

I consider it to be a volunteer position. It's work that I do for free for the benefit of someone else.

Volunteer work is often far more meaningful, beneficial, far-reaching, rewarding, and life-changing then the job that pays the bills!

Dh and I have actually had discussions on this! We consider homeschooling to be a full-time job. We also consider taking care of the kids during the day to be a full-time job. So I have two full-time jobs. (They're the only jobs I've ever loved!)

Then...housekeeping is not my full-time job. We share the duties because we've decided that we both work really hard at our jobs, and it would be unfair for me to have all of the housekeeping duties too.

Researching, planning, and implementing schooling takes a lot of work. I usually do research about an hour a night. I also plan the next day's lessons. Then I school. I do love it (I especially love the research part!). I used to think I couldn't love a job...but this one changed my mind!

No more so a "job" than being what I always wanted to be, the mother of beautiful children, and a stay-at-home one at that, managing my home like my mother did hers, and my grandmother before her. I don't expect a paycheck, the rewards are less tangible but just as wonderful, because inflation can never touch what I have!

Guest janainaz

Taking care of my family and my house, paying bills, easing my husbands burdens and educating my kids is my "life". Because there is nothing else I would rather be doing on the planet, I don't look at it like it's my "job". I'm completely grateful and lucky to be able to do it. So, no, a job I associate with work, something you HAVE to do. Homeschooling is something I choose to do. It is a responsibility, but it energizes me and I love every aspect of it.

Yes. I definitely consider it my job with all attendant pressures and expectations.

My dh is not a supporter of homeschooling. It was the option of last resort for him....even though it's my first choice!!:tongue_smilie: So it's stressful for him to have a child homeschooling. I think he really believes that school is a magical building where kids are sent to magically 'get' knowledge. It's really frightening for him to remove our child from that.

If things are going well - ie he sees lots of evidence that she's learning tons, he's happy. When we hit a wall - like we did last winter/spring, it shakes him to the core. He just can't deal.

So anyway, yes, for me it's a job and the pressure is intense - internal and external.

But I love homeschooling her and wish they were both at home. I love it love it love it so I deal with the pressure:)

K

Guest janainaz
Does that mean that mothers that don't teach their children school subjects are not fulfilling their duties? Sincerely asking your opinion, not trying to be contrary.

It's a parents responsibility to be a loving and good parent. I know some great mothers that don't homeschool. Mom's that choose to work, that get irritated with their kids and say, "oh, I could NEVER be home with my kids all day" - that is another story. Moms that work that HAVE to, usually wish they could stay home.

Yes--and now that I'm not hsing, I really see it as a job.

It's funny, too, that there were so many times I thought I wasn't giving enough attention to hsing in favor of doing "mom" things like laundry, housework, etc. I always said it was my job.

While hsing didn't take up 40 hours a week, now that my dc are in school I find that the physical aspects of maintaining my home (laundry, pay bills, grocery shop, etc.) don't take as much time as I thought they would and I think I probably spent more time hsing than I realized.

It is definitely so much more than a job, though, as many of you so eloquently pointed out.

When people ask me what I do (as in occupation), I tell them that I am a teacher. If they ask me where I teach, then I tell them that I teach my children. I added up all the school-related work I do in my house with my children now (it has increased with "middle school") and I work the same number of hours I did when I was a paid teacher (minus the commute). I put the same amount of professionalism into my job at home even though my style isn't "school at home". (But then I did teach for awhile at a progressive ungraded private school for the gifted so I'm used to even paid teaching not looking like "school" all the time.)

And yes, I realize that I put in hard work in being a mom in off school times and in taking care of my house. But so do "working moms" so I don't tend to mention it as my occupation.

I see it as a part of a whole. My job is to train up my kids. Homeschooling is one of the tools that we use in order to do that. It is as much my job as my dh's though more of the pragmatics fall on me- curriculum choosing and development, academic goals for the year, day-to-day teaching, etc.

I don't feel pressure to perform up to others expectations with homeschooling per se, though we still get it from many sides (some things just never change), but I do feel pressure to give my kids the tools that they need to be the men and women that they are created and called to be.

I love the idea of education and the hope that it brings. I wrote a Master's thesis on education and homeschooling over a decade and a half ago and have been reading and researching, blogging and speaking on and about it since, so it's a hobby, too :001_smile:. More than a job, it's been a consuming passion for (almost) the past 2 decades.

In less than a year we went from happily sending the kids to public school, to joyously pursuing the call to home school.

I see God's hand very clearly in turning my husband's and my hearts simultaneously and completely. We were turned around 180* in the middle of the highway and sent down the off-ramp. I see God's hand very clearly as He gave us absolute peace and assurance, and sent mentors and help our way, and placed resources in our hands.

It's not a job, it's our family's mission, so to speak. It's a calling. It's using the gifts God gave us in the way He would like us to use them, for His purposes and for His glory. Seeing it that way gives me far more motivation and encouragement than considering it a 'job'. :001_smile:

I'm going to agree with Laurie4B that it feels more like a job the older the kids get because of the increasing outside pressures on it. I used to spend more hours on it, but now I worry more....

I think of the whole Mom thing as being a General Contractor. There's some work I do myself and other work I contract out...whether it be the kids I put in school or the chores around the house that the kids take care of or the dental work that I hire an outside "expert" to take care of.

No matter who ends up doing the actual hands-on labor, I am the one responsible for it getting done. That is my job.

If I wanted to take on extra work (income-producing work), I would need to shuffle around the responsibilities and I might end up hiring others to pick up some of the slack. I'd still be the one responsible for the outcome of it all, though....

That's why some women can work full-time and still be the "mom" in every sense of the word and other women can be full-time moms and still be doing "enough". There are many different ways to divvy up all the hands-on jobs; we can either do them ourselves or manage others. It's up to the individual to figure out the best scenario for them.

Mom's that choose to work, that get irritated with their kids and say, "oh, I could NEVER be home with my kids all day" - that is another story. Moms that work that HAVE to, usually wish they could stay home.

Some of the best moms I know are working moms. I know plenty of women who would be miserable staying at home. I've known plenty of women who were SAHMs but were miserable and went back to work. I know lots of moms who work because they have to and some because they choose to but don't wish they could be SAHMs - and a couple of those women have children that are homeschooled. Balancing a career and family is 1000 times harder than my own situation and I give serious props to those women who are excelling at it.

I've struggled with the idea that homeschooling was a job because I enjoy it...

Think about Steve Irwin. There was a man who loved his work. It wasn't a job to him; It was a mountain of fun.

As for myself, I theoretically see homeschooling and housework as my job. But, my heart just doesn't. I want to view these things as my 'job', but without a boss to answer to every day and a timeclock to punch, I just don't get that job feeling from the work I do. No one looks over my shoulder. No one checks my work. No one has a list I have to follow. No one offers me raises, promotions, or bonuses. I get no special recognition from anyone if I put in extra effort. I'm not competing with others to get chosen for an assignment. I don't clock in, do work, and clock out. So I just can't quite get that job feeling out of the whole deal. I wish I could; I really do. I think I would have a cleaner house and a more predictable schedule.

For me it's much more just a way of life, a part of my life, a lifestyle choice.

Do you consider homeschooling your 'job'?

Not so much. I guess I would consider learning a family lifestyle. We all do it.

Sure, the younger ones focus more on the fundamentals, but my husband and I always have studies of our own in addition to the stuff we work on with the boys.