Menu

What is the cheapest way to have a smart phone?

mommyoffive

Freedompop. I have a $25 smart phone from them. It comes with 200mb data monthly and 500 minutes monthly free on the basic plan. Anything done on wifi doesn't count towards data, so that is plenty for me most months. Uses sprint network, so it's fairly reliable. 

You can also go the Amazon prime phone route - $60 for a nice BLU r1 HD, and then do a $5 freedompop sim card for it with the same plan as above. 

• Like 1

I had Freedompop previously, but they cut out our coverage a lot. I guess Sprint sells them excess space, but if there's more Sprint usage than normal, freedompop loses. I'm also in an area where the coverage for Sprint was not 4G to start with. I was dropping calls right and left whenever I used it in my house. My account/phone is now my dd's. She was needing a smart phone for some STEM classes; she previously had a flip Tracfone. 

I now have Cricket. It's $40 for one phone, $35 per phone for 2, $30 per phone for 3, and $25 for 4. My dh, my MIL, my brother and I all share an account. So it's $25 per line for us at the moment. I haven't had any problems yet 4 months in. 

• Like 1

I bought a cheapo smartphone to use on tracfone, but you really do get what you pay for. I suffered for a year or two before replacing it. Did some research and ended up with Galaxy s5 unlocked on Verizon network for ~$150. Tracfone SIM ~$10, and 1 year plan is $100. They give triple minutes/texts/data for all smartphones. I used WiFi and messenger most of the time, so I don't use my data much at all.

• Like 2

If you're looking for something fancy but at a lower price, you can buy a second-hand iphone (I'd suggest 5 & above) and put in on Tracfone using their Bring Your Own Phone (BYOP) program.  (You don't need to use an iphone - you can bring all kinds of phones - check with them first to be sure what you're getting will work with their network.)  

It's about $25 for TWO months worth of service, 500 minutes, 1000 texts, and 500mb of data - so around $13/month.    Everything that is not used carries over from month to month.  You can add extra data ($10/GB) or texts ($5/1000) or minutes when and if you need them.

You won't use data when you're in wifi, and if you have an iphone you can text anyone else who has an iphone without using up texts.  Iphones can also be set up to use data (when not in wifi) only for certain apps and not for others, which is useful.

If you don't use much in the way of minutes/text/data, it can be even cheaper - they've been offering a whole year's worth of service for $50 when you buy time from the web site (after you put stuff in your cart, before you check out).    

• Like 4

I have a sort of "fake" smart phone. Dh bought me a used iphone on ebay for about $50, then added a tracphone plan with texting and minimal minutes. I have NO cell data at all. It costs about $50 a year for the phone/text plan and is plenty for my usage. I can use whatever apps I want but of course if they require data or network connectivity it only works when I'm on a wifi network. For me, this works perfectly. I don't really need the full smart phone functionality, but it's a working phone and is so much easier to text on than my old flip phone. Plus there are plenty of apps I can use (calendar, mail, pandora, etc.).

I'm sure this wouldn't work for everyone, but for $50 a year it's perfect for me.

• Like 4

OP I suggest that you do make the move to a smart phone. Once you do and you are accustomed to what a Smart phone can do for you, you will never go back to a dumb phone.  If it is an Android, if possible I would suggest one of these brands, because of the way they connect to the cell towers and the cost/benefit ratio:  Motorola, Samsung and Lenovo (Lenovo owns Motorola Mobility).  No suggestions on the service in your area, because we live in South America.  

• Like 1

It is important to know what network will give you the best service. A sprint or att network doesn't work where we live, but the Verizon network does. It might be opposite elsewhere. You can get different models of a phone like the s5 depending on which network you'll be using. Ours has a cdma SIM slot and also gsm capability.

Make sure what you are getting is compatible with your real options.

• Like 4

I have a sort of "fake" smart phone. Dh bought me a used iphone on ebay for about $50, then added a tracphone plan with texting and minimal minutes. I have NO cell data at all. ...I don't really need the full smart phone functionality...

I did something similar to this for a while when I still had a flip phone.  Then one day I ended up driving in a very serious black ice situation - miles of skating while trying to avoid other cars, followed by several hours of traffic jam on the ice, on a day when there were 50-car pile ups all in several locations and many, many other accidents.  It was terrifying.  Once stuck, I had to call dh (who was home) to get an understanding of what the situation was and what my options were in terms of getting home, etc.  After that, I decided that it would be smart to add a wee bit of data to my iphone for emergencies.  While I could theoretically wait and add it when I needed it, I didn't want to have to fiddle around with buying data while juggling the emergency.  Something to consider - at Tracfone you can get 1GB of data for $10, which would last a long time with careful use.  (Of course, that would add 20% to your yearly cost LOL!)

(Had I had data and the WAZE app, I could have had a much better understanding of where traffic was moving, where it was stopped, which roads were closed, and so on - there's even a kind of chat function where you can let people know what's going on where you are and see what they've posted.)

• Like 1

I have a windows phone on Virgin Mobile with unlimited calls/texts, 2.5 gb a month high speed and 1gb a month tethered data, with unlimited lower speed data (DD has an online class that she has to do in the car once a week) for $40/Month

DD has a Samsung Galaxy on Tracfone on a $100/yr plan, which we periodically add texts to, since that's how college/grad students seem to communicate-one conference can easily go through a couple of hundred texts in a few days. (And, since she started playing Pokémon Go, she sometimes adds data for that purpose).

DH has a cheap LG on Tracfone that replaced a broken flip phone. I don't think he's added a single app to it. He started out with a $100 plan, and he's added minutes/texts/service days, since he only uses data occasionally for the GPS/map app that came pre-installed.

Edited by dmmetler

I did something similar to this for a while when I still had a flip phone.  Then one day I ended up driving in a very serious black ice situation - miles of skating while trying to avoid other cars, followed by several hours of traffic jam on the ice, on a day when there were 50-car pile ups all in several locations and many, many other accidents.  It was terrifying.  Once stuck, I had to call dh (who was home) to get an understanding of what the situation was and what my options were in terms of getting home, etc.  After that, I decided that it would be smart to add a wee bit of data to my iphone for emergencies.  While I could theoretically wait and add it when I needed it, I didn't want to have to fiddle around with buying data while juggling the emergency.  Something to consider - at Tracfone you can get 1GB of data for $10, which would last a long time with careful use.  (Of course, that would add 20% to your yearly cost LOL!)

(Had I had data and the WAZE app, I could have had a much better understanding of where traffic was moving, where it was stopped, which roads were closed, and so on - there's even a kind of chat function where you can let people know what's going on where you are and see what they've posted.)

I've wondered about the bolded. How can someone safely be updating or checking road conditions while driving, especially if there are poor conditions? It would seem to me to make driving more dangerous if a driver isn't focusing on driving. The only think I could come up with would be that a passenger might be updating or watching the app's recommendations. Does WAZE have a voice prompt? (I tried WAZE on a recommendation from my mom, but it's not something she uses or really understands, so she couldn't explain it to me.)

Republic Wireless costs me around $13.00 a month. I buy 1MB monthly so I can connect to cell towers when I am not connected to WiFi. If I stay above a certain percentage of WiFi usage, I get a refund which results in the $13 a month charge. If I did not stay in this range, my monthly charge would be $25 which is still way below what most plans offer.

Their phones are Motorola but I got an email recently that they are broadening their selection. The phone I got cost about $185 - $200.

The one thing is that you will save the most if you can be on WiFi at your home, place of work, frequented places.

It would not work well for people who are often in remote areas and do a lot of streaming, surfing while out and about, away from WiFi sources. You can also purchase 2 or 3 MB of data if you needed that. It would increase the cost a bit, of course

Edited by Liz CA
  • Like 1

I've wondered about the bolded. How can someone safely be updating or checking road conditions while driving, especially if there are poor conditions? It would seem to me to make driving more dangerous if a driver isn't focusing on driving. The only think I could come up with would be that a passenger might be updating or watching the app's recommendations. Does WAZE have a voice prompt? (I tried WAZE on a recommendation from my mom, but it's not something she uses or really understands, so she couldn't explain it to me.)

I usually have a co-pilot.  

My co-pilot navigates (using WAZE or the GPS or written directions or all of the above), and if using WAZE there's an option to report on various road conditions - stopped car by the side of the road, police ahead, debris in road, and so on.  If someone else has reported it you get an alert, and then your co-pilot can verify that the issue is still there. (Or that it's not, I think?  IDK, I'm not usually the co-pilot. )

If you are using WAZE on your own, it gives you verbal directions like a GPS does, and some people have their phone on a holder much like they would with a GPS so they can see it at a glance.  

I often have three options - the phone, a GPS, and an in-car GPS.  I prefer the GPS, as it is purpose-built and I can easily glance at it while not taking my eyes off the road.

• Like 1

Ting has been very cheap for me and DDs. It's not a huge savings over Tracfone, Boost, etc for one perspn, but if you are doing multiple numbers it is the best.

We have the iPhone 5C. We have had to replace batteries in two, but otherwise they are still quite usable despite their age. Getting an older version of a phone via eBay or other resale market is probably the cheapest way to get a smartphone.

• Like 1

Republic Wireless costs me around $13.00 a month. I buy 1MB monthly so I can connect to cell towers when I am not connected to WiFi. If I stay above a certain percentage of WiFi usage, I get a refund which results in the $13 a month charge. If I did not stay in this range, my monthly charge would be $25 which is still way below what most plans offer.

Their phones are Motorola but I got an email recently that they are broadening their selection. The phone I got cost about $185 - $200.

The one thing is that you will save the most if you can be on WiFi at your home, place of work, frequented places.

It would not work well for people who are often in remote areas and do a lot of streaming, surfing while out and about, away from WiFi sources. You can also purchase 2 or 3 MB of data if you needed that. It would increase the cost a bit, of course

I used RW for a while and thought it was great.  They use Sprint service with roaming on Verizon.  

I would have stayed with them, but a few things made me change my mind, things that prob won't be an issue for the OP.

1. I couldn't keep my number.

2. I couldn't use the phone as a hotspot

3.  I couldn't have an iphone

4. DH's work changed their policy and allowed us to get a family plan and paid part of it

Otherwise we would most likely have RW.

We have the iPhone 5C. We have had to replace batteries in two, but otherwise they are still quite usable despite their age. Getting an older version of a phone via eBay or other resale market is probably the cheapest way to get a smartphone.

Be forewarned that Apple stops allowing iOS updates on older phone models after a certain length of time. Until this holiday season, I was using DH's old iPhone 4 and there were a bunch of apps I couldn't get and even some ones I'd previously had that I could no longer use since they required an iOS that Apple wouldn't let my phone download. I ended up replacing the old 4 with a SE and could finally get back access to those apps and the other ones I'd wanted.

I used RW for a while and thought it was great.  They use Sprint service with roaming on Verizon.  

I would have stayed with them, but a few things made me change my mind, things that prob won't be an issue for the OP.

1. I couldn't keep my number.

2. I couldn't use the phone as a hotspot

3.  I couldn't have an iphone

4. DH's work changed their policy and allowed us to get a family plan and paid part of it

Otherwise we would most likely have RW.

I was able to port my old cell number when I switched to RW. The hotspot thing is one of those restrictions that don't affect me but may well be an issue for others. And yes, everyone told me to get an iphone and they did not support them at the time I got mine. Actually don't know if they do now.

I still discover new things on my Motorola and I've had it for almost a year now. But part of this is also that I don't really sit down and study its capabilities in depth. I figure out the basics so I can make/receive calls and texts and the rest is on a need to know basis. I scream for dh to show me what to do when I am stumped. ;)

I have to say, their website is chock full of user tips and I have utilized that to find the answer to more intricate how-to questions.

Another Tracfone user - I have used both Android and now an older iphone, and it costs about $7-10 / month (more if I use more data, when I'm out & traveling, etc.). I keep it on wifi at home, so it has all of its smartphone capabilities without costing me anything at all.

I think it would be hard for someone to go from top-of-the-line-everything contract "down" to a prepaid service, but coming "up" from a dumb phone, it's fantastic! LOL

Phone was around $100 on ebay, and I had to do a bit of research to make sure it would work in my area, but it has paid off big time.

I usually have a co-pilot.  

My co-pilot navigates (using WAZE or the GPS or written directions or all of the above), and if using WAZE there's an option to report on various road conditions - stopped car by the side of the road, police ahead, debris in road, and so on.  If someone else has reported it you get an alert, and then your co-pilot can verify that the issue is still there. (Or that it's not, I think?  IDK, I'm not usually the co-pilot. )

If you are using WAZE on your own, it gives you verbal directions like a GPS does, and some people have their phone on a holder much like they would with a GPS so they can see it at a glance.  

I often have three options - the phone, a GPS, and an in-car GPS.  I prefer the GPS, as it is purpose-built and I can easily glance at it while not taking my eyes off the road.

Thanks for the explanation. So if there's traffic, it verbally reroutes you? I might need to spend more time figuring it out! Google Maps doesn't do that. We frequently have problem traffic here.

We followed someone one time who I think may have been using WAZE. He moved between lanes very quickly as though he was going to go one way, then unexpectedly shifted lanes to go a different way. We couldn't figure out what he was doing at the time until we saw the traffic back up he was avoiding.

It depends on what works in your calling area.

I bought a StraightTalk iPhone 5s new through Walmart, for $188 shipped, including an Otterbox. The service costs me $50 a month. I have unlimited talk and text and unlimited data, the first 5GB of which are high speed (4G). I've been very pleased. I have only used up the 5GB one month, and that was because we moved our bedroom around, and our home WiFi wasn't reaching our bed so when I was suffering pregnancy insomnia and surfing the net, it was using my data. (We got a WiFi extender and no more problems.) But even with being back and forth between hospitals and all for the last several weeks, I've not come close to using my fast data. The only thing is that since ST is unlimited data, their phones can't be used as mobile hotspots. I don't need that capability, but my mom, who travels a lot, does, for instance, so she went with a different carrier.

Thanks for the explanation. So if there's traffic, it verbally reroutes you? I might need to spend more time figuring it out! Google Maps doesn't do that. We frequently have problem traffic here.

We followed someone one time who I think may have been using WAZE. He moved between lanes very quickly as though he was going to go one way, then unexpectedly shifted lanes to go a different way. We couldn't figure out what he was doing at the time until we saw the traffic back up he was avoiding.

.Yes, it calculates the quickest route, and reroutes you if it's quicker to go a different way.  Your co-pilot can also look on the app and see how fast the traffic is moving if you are on a major road with other WAZE users.  I mostly use it for long trips on holiday weekends.  The people I know who are enthusiastic regular users have long commutes in places like Los Angeles or the NYC/Wilmington/Baltimore/DC I-95 corridor.

You can of course also get traffic on certain GPS models.  WAZE is more specific and in my experience more accurate but less easy to take full advantage of unless you have a co-pilot.

I was able to port my old cell number when I switched to RW. The hotspot thing is one of those restrictions that don't affect me but may well be an issue for others. And yes, everyone told me to get an iphone and they did not support them at the time I got mine. Actually don't know if they do now.

I still discover new things on my Motorola and I've had it for almost a year now. But part of this is also that I don't really sit down and study its capabilities in depth. I figure out the basics so I can make/receive calls and texts and the rest is on a need to know basis. I scream for dh to show me what to do when I am stumped. ;)

I have to say, their website is chock full of user tips and I have utilized that to find the answer to more intricate how-to questions.

I could not.  They told me I couldn't.  I got the phone anyway, for the 30 day trial.  I kept my old iPhone on my regular number.

They have said they will only ever have select phones, iPhone not being one of them.  Something about the way they can configure them with the wifi calling thing.

PS:  Just looked at their plans.  Wow, their plans have changed.  It used to be unlimited talk and text and only wifi data for $10 or Unlimited talk/text/data for $25.  I guess that plan is gone.

Edited by DawnM