Menu

Travel help for Europe

CAMom

I mentioned in the thread about receiving Christmas surprises that my 20 yo dd surprised me with a trip to Europe as a Christmas gift! I still keep expecting to wake up. :)

I've never been to Europe. I've only been out of the country once, and I was 17. I have extensive travel experience within the states, but need help knowing what to expect going overseas.

Our trip will be 8 days. We arrive on a Friday morning and leave the next Saturday evening. We land in Brussels and can do whatever we want from there! We definitely want to go to Paris. Paris has been my dd's dream destination since she was a little girl. I already discovered it is less than a 2 hour train ride from Brussels to Paris. The other two places we are contemplating seeing are Bruges and/or Amsterdam.

Any help?

I don't know what I should anticipate for anything, really. From what to pack, where to visit, etc. I would love any and all advice for a smooth trip with lots of fun for the two of us. :)

TIA!

• Like 1

Bruges is beautiful and worth seeing, IMO, though it is VERY touristy. I would avoid it during high season, but keep it on the list during "less" popular times. It can be seen and done in a day. We stayed in Ghent, which had some pretty buildings but otherwise was really dirty and gross.

Amsterdam is well...there are lots of terrific things to do there. For a less touristy option, I would suggest The Hague. It's clean, multinational, walkable and on a very human scale. There's a ton going on but it's not as touristy (or dirty, though that might have changed?) as I remember Amsterdam to be. The huge beaches outside The Hague are worth the streetcar ride out, if you have the time.

As for packing, go light. It's only a week--take as little as you can and plan to carry it all. Plan to wash socks and undies in the sink and let them dry overnight. Packing dry fit or travel type clothing pays off--it's light and packs small, plus it will dry easily overnight. Wear sensible shoes and don't pack extras. Worst case you buy some there if you really have to. Remember they sell everything, just like here. There's no need for a huge tube of toothpaste, or too much shampoo. Travel sizes are found in every drugstore on every corner. It can't be overstated to not overpack! :)

• Like 4

We just went to Paris in Sept/Oct. We stayed in an Air BNB on the Ile Saint Louis. I would highly recommend the location and doing some kind of apartment through Air BNB or similar source. Ile Saint Louis is the small island next to the island where Notre Dame is. It's a fabulous location, right in the heart of Paris. 

Other random thoughts....

We did not need reserved tickets to go to the top of the Eiffel Tower. My husband (who does extensive travel research) was fairly sure we did need tickets from their website. However, when we got there we just walked up and were able to go up. I think that was because we were off-season. If you are able to reserve them it's likely better, but if you can't don't assume you can't do it. 

The Louvre has night hours at least a couple of nights a week. It's a great time to go. MUCH less crowded than during the day. 

Rick Steves has some great walking tours of the Louvre. We downloaded them to our phones and then listened as we went through. Even the 7 year old was interested. Same thing for Musee d'Orsay. There was also a fabulous Eiffel Tower walking tour we downloaded from their website. 

Any other particular questions or concerns? We love to travel, although aren't able to as much as we like due to finances. This was our first Europe trip with kids. The other times we went were as a young married couple or single. My grandmother was from Paris so that is the one place I've been more than others in Europe. 

The main thing I've learned is that the people are for the most part quite nice and helpful. I always ask first before assuming someone speaks English, I think that is appreciated. My dh speaks French fairly well and he always tries to speak first in French which is also usually appreciated. 

• Like 3

What time of year are you going?

The easiest way to exchange money is usually withdrawing cash from an ATM machine at your destination.  You will generally get a better exchange rate doing that than by exchanging cash at an exchange window (especially at the airport) or cashing traveler's checks at a bank.  

Check your cell phone plan.  Tmobile allows for unlimited texting and data when traveling to most international destinations (and 20 cents a minute for calls).  Another carrier (I can't remember which one) recently announced a similar plan.  Some carriers offer a package plan when traveling internationally.

As pp mentioned, don't overpack.  Wear comfortable shoes.  A backpack or a large cross-body bag is nice to have to carry items during the day (a water bottle, light jacket or umbrella, any purchases you make during the day.)  

• Like 1

I second The Hauge. We loved it. We also loved Amsterdam. I wouldn't push to see everything in a week. I'd do Paris and Brussels. Enjoy them. Savor. I think for us (and we travel a lot) 4 countries would become box ticking.

General stuff... Let your bank know you're going or they'll shut down your account. Not fun. Buy museum tickets online. Even of season it's saved us HOURS in lines. Screen shot everything you think you'll need if you lose data (Or of you don't have Wi-Fi). Reservations, maps, tickets, etc... Pack really light. Reuse stuff (pants go for days, one sweater is plenty, etc.). Dress business casual and you won't feel overly dressy or too casual. Save room for treasures to bring back. I do almost all my souvenir shopping at the local grocery store. Great stuff, cheap, fun labels in foreign languages, and nothing to dust. Zquil is your friend to sleep on the way over (as much as you can!). Totally agree with shoe recommendations. I usually take 2 pair in case my legs start to hate one. We did 24k steps in a day in London this year...ouch. Oh yeah, take Motrin. You may need it. A cheap euro charger for your phone and a back up battery stick are worth buying.

Am I boring you yet? I love traveling. :-)

Edited by FriedClams
  • Like 3

Am I boring you yet? I love traveling. :-)

Not a chance! :)

We are going at the beginning of March during dd's spring break.

We are excited and are both big planners, so we will be making lists with all of your ideas! 

Thank you so much!

I agree with everyone who said to pack really light and plan to just take a carry-on and a tote or small backpack. And I highly recommend packing cubes! I like eBags, but there are lots of other brands. You'd be surprised how much you can compress clothes with them (you "overpack" them, squish them down, then zip), so you can fit a lot more in. I've done several 10-14 day European trips with nothing more than a small (17") roll-on and a tote bag. They also make things easier if you will be moving around a lot, changing hotels, etc., because you can just grab what you need rather than having to unpack your whole bag everywhere you go.

• Like 3

You've gotten great tips - I definitely second the idea of just two places and savor them.

Credit card - take two if you can just in case one cancels on you. Make sure your primary card does NOT charge the foreign transaction fees which can really add up.

Anne

• Like 2

You need an RFID wallet.  There is very little violent crime, but the pickpockets are horrible.  I used an RFID pouch around my neck with cash, credit cards, and ID.  Make sure it's RFID, because the magnetic info can be scanned and you wouldn't know until it's too late.

• Like 4

We lived in Brussels for a time...I love that city. Please say hello to the Grand Place for me. Have chocolate, waffles, pomme frites, and buy some tapestry. :)

I like Brugge--if you decide to go there, see The Monuments Men before. The little Michaelangelo sculpture in Brugge plays a big role.

Paris is super fun! I love, love, love Paris.

Grab some Rick Steves books--you'll learn a lot. Europe through the Back Door and any of the city specific books.

Two pair of walking shoes so you can switch out every day. Take a jacket--preferably waterproof--because a little rain may fall.

One of my favorite things to do in a new city--pop into a neighborhood supermarket. It's just fun to see what real people find in those stores.

Enjoy!

Happy Travels!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 4

I've never been to Europe. I've only been out of the country once, and I was 17. I have extensive travel experience within the states, but need help knowing what to expect going overseas.

You will have so much fun!  Some random thoughts:

o)  People with respect you so much more if you take the effort to learn even a few words in French. Good day, please, thank you, counting go a long way.  Now is the time to go to the library and get that French Berlitz tape!

o) It is a lot cheaper to try and eat most of your meals like the locals do, and more fun, and you learn more about the culture.  Instead of going to a sit-down restaurant every single day, get a baguette from a bakery, cheese from a cheese shop, and meat from a charcuterie, and picnic like you live there.

o) Reading literature set in your destination city can make your trip come alive.  Reading Victor Hugo before visiting Paris can change the way you view the city.

o) I like to plan both indoor activities and outdoor activities for the trip, then choose which one based on the weather that day.

o) Don't try to rush through an enormous check-list of "must dos".  Pick a few things you'd like to see, and a handful of bonus things which you may not be able to complete.  Focus on the experience of being there.

Have fun!  Take lots of pictures!

• Like 4

It might be worth getting Eurail passes, maybe the Benelux-France pass. They have to be purchased before you go, and they are on sale 20% off until Dec 31.

I always recommend Paris! I have been many times, with trips varying from a long weekend to a full summer. With a short visit, I advise picking ONE neighborhood and enjoying it. I have visited almost every museum in the Paris area, and many other attractions, and I am happy to make recommendations based on what you think you might like to see.

edited to make a sentence more coherent

Edited by slackermom
  • Like 1

Oh, and my vote for best european souvenir: reusable grocery bags from Carrefour, one of their big grocery chains. The bags are great - sturdy and large, and they take me back to europe every time I use them!

Anne

I have some bags from other European grocery chains and I love them--I, too, bring them back a souveniers; they are useful while you are on your trip, and are lightweight and easily packable.  I enjoy browsing through the housewares areas of large department stores.  I often find small serving pieces or kitchen tools that I can't find in the US

If you are going for 1 week, I would suggest picking no more than 2 places you will stay.  Packing up and checking in and out of hotels can eat up a lot of your time.  You can go many places for a day trip by train and return to the same hotel.  When searching for transportation options, check to see if there are any partner tickets offered where two people can travel on the same ticket at a reduced cost.  Sometimes these are available on the trains and sometimes they are available for local city transportation.  Also, check to see if there are any student discounts that you daughter would qualify for. 

• Like 6

I can only address Paris, unless you'd like to change plans and visit Switzerland.  :-D

For Paris:

- The hop on hop off boat tour is a really fantastic way to see the city.  I recommend doing this first thing upon arriving, just to SEE IT ALL quickly and get a feel for geographical layout.  You can hop on and hop off as you see the sights, or stay on just for a relaxing first look at everything.

- I would spend the line time to get to the top of the Arc de Triomphe rather than Eiffel Tower.  Beautiful view, and the Eiffel Tower is IN the view from the Arc, vs not in the view.  lol.  Getting a feel for its size compared to the rest of the city is great!

- Skip the sewer tour unless you're really into sewer tours.  

- Try to get to Notre Dame during a non-busy time.  All the cathedrals of Paris are beautiful, but with limited time, Notre Dame is the best to see.  I'd probably do JUST that one, unless you are really  into cathedrals. 

- Some type of guide for the Louvre- either the Rick Steves or another audio guide that is theme-based.  There is just too much to see and after a while it'll just blur together unless you attempt to follow a bit of a themed tour through.  

- Versailles is a GREAT day trip, but it is a full day basically, so you'll have to decide your priorities.  

- Rue Ste. Clare is a great browse-and-buy-lunch, relaxing thing to do.  

- Personally, I love the Rodin Museum.  If you have good weather, it is almost entirely out-of-doors and cab be a nice change of pace after lots of indoor attractions.  

• Like 5

Another thought - I have found that, although I love museums and art and so forth, after about 3-4 hours, I can no longer absorb anything - every masterpiece is just one more....    So, I have found that it works better for me to spend the morning in the museum of choice, and then do something much more active/different in the afternoon.  

You are going to have so much fun!!!

Anne

• Like 3

You said you are a planner and that is me too.   Are you into museums?   Buy online now the books for the museums that you are excited about, and read it ahead of time.  I used to always buy the book at the gift shop afterwards, then I'd ALWAYS see something super-cool in the book that I hadn't paid any attention to because it wasn't shiny.  Now, I like looking at the books ahead of time because it is thrilling.  Also the museum visits are even more productive.  

March probably wouldn't be so bad.   In general, though, in Europe I like to be at the most popular touristy things when they open.  Even though that means I usually relax in my room mid-afternoon.   The lines can be brutal.  

Also, in Paris, assuming you are doing the Eiffel tower, do it last.  You can amuse yourself by spotting the places you've been from above.  

• Like 2

I really love Bruges. It can be done in a day but it will be a beautiful day. We stop every chance we get even if it's just for a couple of hours on our way to somewhere else. The train station is quite close to the main tourist areas.

Paris is crowded. We always end up walking as much as possible as opposed to taking the metro. Plan your itinerary with that in mind.

• Like 3

What an awesome gift! You may want to decide whether you'd like to do big cities, country-side, or a bit of both. 

There is a lot to experience in the country-side, if you wanted to different flavour. If you like cycling, you could rent bikes and see a lot that way. I've had my most memorable European experiences out of cities and doing active things like hiking, cycling or paddling. It just depends on what you and dh enjoy doing. You do not have to spend your days walking city streets and sitting on trains and busses.

Have a wonderful time!

• Like 2

We are going at the beginning of March during dd's spring break.

If you don't have passports yet, you should apply soon if you don't want to pay extra for expedited processing. It can take 4-6 weeks for regular processing. And if you already have passports, make sure they will be valid for at least 6 months beyond your travel dates — they are starting to get really strict about that.

• Like 2

This may be blasphemous, but unless you are really into art, you probably can skip the Louvre if you don't love crowds. Just go to another art museum and be blown away compared to American museums. In one French city that was kind of a backwater there were multiple museums whose collections beat anything I've seen in the US. And Amsterdam has lots of interesting variety. There's even a zoo that lets you just walk among lemurs and small monkeys, amongst other things. (we were there with small kids, which made that sort of attraction very appealing. We had a pass that covered admission to a huge variety of places a well as public transportation and found that very helpful.

• Like 3

This may be blasphemous, but unless you are really into art, you probably can skip the Louvre if you don't love crowds. Just go to another art museum and be blown away compared to American museums. In one French city that was kind of a backwater there were multiple museums whose collections beat anything I've seen in the US. And Amsterdam has lots of interesting variety. There's even a zoo that lets you just walk among lemurs and small monkeys, amongst other things. (we were there with small kids, which made that sort of attraction very appealing. We had a pass that covered admission to a huge variety of places a well as public transportation and found that very helpful.

I totally agree with this. There are so many small museums in the Paris area that are quite unique, more manageable in a short visit, and less crowded. And on trips when I did visit the Louvre, I would pick a specific exhibit/area, visit just that part, and then leave and have a nice picnic lunch. That is one thing that makes a museum pass worthwhile, since you can come and go at will, plus you can usually use an expedited entry line for passholders.

• Like 3

I totally agree with this. There are so many small museums in the Paris area that are quite unique, more manageable in a short visit, and less crowded. And on trips when I did visit the Louvre, I would pick a specific exhibit/area, visit just that part, and then leave and have a nice picnic lunch. That is one thing that makes a museum pass worthwhile, since you can come and go at will, plus you can usually use an expedited entry line for passholders.

I also agree. I'm glad that we visited the Louvre but I don't remember much because it was like trying to drink from a fire hose. A few smaller museums that we felt were less overwhelming and thus more memorable: 

Musée de l'Orangerie -- Monet's Water Lilies are amazing in person

Musée national du Moyen Age (Cluny)  -- loved the medieval tapestries and artifacts

Musée de l'Armée -- I'm not a history or war buff but this was the favorite museum for DH and I. So cool to see armor up close. Also very neat to see the evolution in weaponry and tactics

• Like 3

What an awesome gift! You may want to decide whether you'd like to do big cities, country-side, or a bit of both. 

There is a lot to experience in the country-side, if you wanted to different flavour. If you like cycling, you could rent bikes and see a lot that way. I've had my most memorable European experiences out of cities and doing active things like hiking, cycling or paddling. It just depends on what you and dh enjoy doing. You do not have to spend your days walking city streets and sitting on trains and busses.

Have a wonderful time!

My BIL and his family were in Amsterdam last year, and rented a car to get around, including driving into northern France, and a bike trip in Normandy. A car could give you more flexibility, and get you away from the big crowds. 

When I have been away from the cities, it was usually via train and/or bus from Paris, to unusual places such as the island of Mont St. Michelle. DH and I splurged to stay on the island overnight, and took a midnight tour of the Abbey with about a dozen other people. Once the majority of the tourists left for the day, it was like we had been transported back in time.

• Like 4

March can have very diverse weather, from snowy cold windy wintertype days, to sunny (to our standards warm) spring weather.

I agree with the waterproof coat mentioned above, and the good shoes: Belgium has a lot of cobblestones in the City Centers.

Openinghours in the Netherlands and Belgium are not standardzised, so check for each individual museum / attraction.

For the moment there are still soldiers on the streets in the Big cities, and quite often there are police activities in the Molenbeek area.

Not to scare you, but just something to be aware of.

Travelling between the Netherlands, Belgium and France is still perfect possible without too much hassle,

But it is possible that you'll have a 'bad day' and they decide to check all the ID's at the borders.

Nothing problematic just time consuming.

• Like 2

I also agree. I'm glad that we visited the Louvre but I don't remember much because it was like trying to drink from a fire hose....

The fire hose thing is sooo true.  My eyes actually started to hurt.  There wasn't anywhere for my eyes to look at and rest.  Even the ceilings were decorated!   The time my eyes were tired from all the pretty glittery things was my 3rd or 4th time in Paris.  (I don't really like Paris, but I'd go to Europe with someone that had never been and they'd want to go).   Anyway, I'd never seen the Mona Lisa and I decided that was embarrassing.  I tried really hard to walk down that long display hallway without looking at any other paintings, just looking at the floor.  Then I'd see something out of the corner of my eye and I'd look at its amazingness.  Then my eyes would get tired, and I'd go back to looking at the floor.  

• Like 1

Wow! Thank you so much for all of the help! 

There are so many things to do and see, but you all are right...I don't just want to check things off of a list, I want to savor the experience with my girl.

I am a walker, fortunately. I am a regular 10K steps a day person. Although I'm sure we will both get tired, we are both up for miles of walking a day. 

I live just outside of Portland, Oregon, so wet, cold, gloomy weather won't phase us. :) I will make sure to bring one of my rain coats. I was thinking of my most comfortable pair of boots and a pair of flats for shoes. I would wear my boots on the plane so I wouldn't have to pack them. I have walked all over DC with them, so I know they are comfortable for miles of walking.

We both love museums, and we both love to walk the streets peeking in and out of shops and people watching. 

I still can't believe we are going!

• Like 4

Do you have a direct PDX-BRU flight? If not, where is your layover and how long is it? If your first European stop is not Brussels, be aware that you will go through passport control & customs on the first stop, even if you never plan to leave the airport. Ditto on the return flight to the US — if you have a layover at a US airport, you will need to get your bags off and go through immigration and customs at your first stop, and then recheck your bags* for your next flight. Make sure your layovers are long enough to allow for that.

(I once had an airline employee assure me that a 1 hr layover in Houston would be plenty of time on a return flight from Europe, but I knew better and insisted on a different connection. I feel badly for anyone who believed that guy and ended up standing in the customs line while their second flight left without them!)

*ETA: this is one of many reasons for taking carry-on only, if at all possible. 
Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 2

Do you have a direct PDX-BRU flight? If not, where is your layover and how long is it? If your first European stop is not Brussels, be aware that you will go through passport control & customs on the first stop, even if you never plan to leave the airport. Ditto on the return flight to the US — if you have a layover at a US airport, you will need to get your bags off and go through immigration and customs at your first stop, and then recheck your bags* for your next flight. Make sure your layovers are long enough to allow for that.

(I once had an airline employee assure me that a 1 hr layover in Houston would be plenty of time on a return flight from Europe, but I knew better and insisted on a different connection. I feel badly for anyone who believed that guy and ended up standing in the customs line while their second flight left without them!)

*ETA: this is one of many reasons for taking carry-on only, if at all possible. 

I will be flying from PDX to Dulles. My dd goes to school in Northern Virginia. I'm meeting her there and then we have a non-stop flight from Dulles to Brussels. 

Thanks for the heads up on that, though!! We are both planning on traveling with just a carry on.

Wow! Thank you so much for all of the help! 

There are so many things to do and see, but you all are right...I don't just want to check things off of a list, I want to savor the experience with my girl.

I am a walker, fortunately. I am a regular 10K steps a day person. Although I'm sure we will both get tired, we are both up for miles of walking a day. 

I live just outside of Portland, Oregon, so wet, cold, gloomy weather won't phase us. :) I will make sure to bring one of my rain coats. I was thinking of my most comfortable pair of boots and a pair of flats for shoes. I would wear my boots on the plane so I wouldn't have to pack them. I have walked all over DC with them, so I know they are comfortable for miles of walking.

We both love museums, and we both love to walk the streets peeking in and out of shops and people watching. 

I still can't believe we are going!

Paris has some really nice Church thrift stores.  One of the times was with a boyfriend that was into church organs.  So, he wanted to go to all the famous old churches and look at the organs, and I'd pop into the nearest store which was always the church's thrift store.  

• Like 2

I cannot emphasize enough that good walking shoes and socks make or break a trip like this. If you are buying new shoes, break them in now. Put five miles of walking on them before you leave.

And this said, if you aren't much of a walker, train to do up to 5 miles in a pop easily before you go if you have time.

What a generous gift for a college student to give!  Have a wonderful trip!

• Like 1

And this said, if you aren't much of a walker, train to do up to 5 miles in a pop easily before you go if you have time.

What a generous gift for a college student to give!  Have a wonderful trip!

I'm a big walker, thankfully. :)

I am overwhelmed by her generosity! We pay for school, but she never asks for a dime for anything. She has worked 2 and 3 jobs at a time while in school. She budgets very carefully and saves most of her money for grad school. The fact that she would give me such an extravagant gift is humbling. 

• Like 4

Pack dark clothes you can wear a lot without washing.  Multi-use garments.  Layers.  

Good walking shoes, broken-in, with support, and good walking socks make the trip a lot better.  Do NOT wear sneakers. Marks you as American, for one thing, and I have actually been turned away from a restaurant for wearing them.  Ha!

Simplify your beauty routine to minimize what you have to carry-and get through TSA. No one knows you in Europe, anyway.  :0)

If you like to take pictures, carry a small and lightweight decent point-and-shoot.  Get a big memory card in it and you won't run out of space.  

If you have a wheelie, make sure the wheels are big.  Small wheels get stuck in cobblestone cracks. It's super great if your carry-on can slide down over the handle; lightens your load.

If I were going for 8 days, I would spend four days in one city/area and four days in another city/area.  Otherwise you will spend all your time traveling and not seeing so much. Do as much as you can to be out and about--people live outside their homes more than we do in America, and you get to participate in it.  

Lastly, don't load yourself down with souvenirs.  If you find something that you *can't get* in the US, then that is a decent souvenir; if you can get it here, why bother hauling it around?  

What a wonderful gift!  

I hope you have a ton of fun.

Just thought of something else from our flights in Oct.

The rules for what we were allowed to carry-on were different and stricter in Paris than in the US (or Iceland which is the other country we flew through). I was really careful about liquids and amounts and having it all correct. I had to buy some more shampoo in Paris because we had run out and I made sure to buy the right size that was allowed on the US flights. The Paris airport wouldn't allow it. I can't remember the exact sizes but they allowed much less as far as ounces and each passenger was only allowed a small Ziploc bag instead of the big gallon sized bag. 

• Like 2

Just thought of something else from our flights in Oct.

The rules for what we were allowed to carry-on were different and stricter in Paris than in the US (or Iceland which is the other country we flew through). I was really careful about liquids and amounts and having it all correct. I had to buy some more shampoo in Paris because we had run out and I made sure to buy the right size that was allowed on the US flights. The Paris airport wouldn't allow it. I can't remember the exact sizes but they allowed much less as far as ounces and each passenger was only allowed a small Ziploc bag instead of the big gallon sized bag. 

TSA does not allow gallon-sized bags for liquids, it's a quart-sized bag. The sizes are virtually identical in the US and Europe: liquids may be no more than 100ml/3.4 oz, and they must be packed in a transparent bag no larger than 1 qt/1 liter.

US:

You are allowed to bring a quart-sized bag of liquids, aerosols, gels, creams and pastes in your carry-on bag and through the checkpoint. These are limited to travel-sized containers that are 3.4 ounces (100 milliliters) or less per item.

EU:

Liquids carried in the aircraft cabin such as aerosols, drinks, toothpaste, cosmetic creams or gels must be carried in a transparent plastic bag - maximum capacity 1 litre - and no container may hold more than 100 ml.

Edited by Corraleno
  • Like 4

TSA does not allow gallon-sized bags for liquids, it's a quart-sized bag. The sizes are virtually identical in the US and Europe: liquids may be no more than 100ml/3.4 oz, and they must be packed in a transparent bag no larger than 1 qt/1 liter.

US:

EU:

You are right, it is the quart sized bag in the US, that is what we had. But when we were leaving Paris in Oct, they made us put everything in different smaller bags. And they said the liquid amount was 1 fl oz for each bottle. I just looked and the regulations at CDG say the larger amounts. Maybe there was some kind of threat and they were being even stricter then. I even asked the screener specifically because I had been careful about checking before buying stuff in Paris. Her response was "We do things differently in France." 

Probably the bigger lesson is to be prepared when you go through screening to have things change, to be searched and to have things taken away. Leave lots of extra time, be polite and patient and just be flexible. My 13 year's bag got searched at every single airport (US, Iceland and CDG in Paris). It became kind of a family joke. He never had anything illicit in his bag but we told him he must just look suspicious. He got really good at repacking all his stuff really quickly. 

Edited by Alice
  • Like 1

This is another thing to consider when deciding whether only to take carry-on luggage.  It does limit liquids and other items that you can take on the trip and bring home.  For example, if you purchase a bottle of perfume or liquor at a duty free shop in Europe once you land in the U.S. and go through customs, the liquid must be put in your checked baggage; it cannot be brought on the connecting flight in your carryon.

• Like 3

arrival at one airport and going onward to another--

This is another thing to consider when deciding whether only to take carry-on luggage.  It does limit liquids and other items that you can take on the trip and bring home.  For example, if you purchase a bottle of perfume or liquor at a duty free shop in Europe once you land in the U.S. and go through customs, the liquid must be put in your checked baggage; it cannot be brought on the connecting flight in your carryon.

-- and the same thing if you arrive in one European airport and go onward and have to go through security again (which is common).

We regularly do check-on only, but it does require a bit of a routine --in addition to thinking though all the liquids, you have to take out any razors and nail scissors and metal nail files etc from the toiletry bag and plan either to go without or replace on the other end.  I've had several Swiss Army knives confiscated that I'd plumb forgotten were tucked away into the crevices.

• Like 2

So, does it sound doable and enjoyable to plan this:

Arrive: Brussels on a Friday morning. 

Day 1: Friday - Wander around Brussels and rest from travel (we arrive in Brussels in the morning)

Day 2: Saturday - Day trip to Bruges

Day 3: Sunday - Explore Brussels more

Day 4: Monday - Take the train to Paris

Day 5: Tuesday - Paris

Day 6: Wednesday - Paris

Day 7: Thursday - Paris

Day 8: Friday - Paris

Day 9: Saturday - Paris

Day 10: Sunday - Train back to Brussels airport for departure back to the states

Any input is great!

Edited by CAMom
  • Like 2

Given your length of stay, I suggest you get a Paris museum pass. Whether or not you save money, you will save oodles of time you would have spent standing in line. You can either order it ahead of time online, or if you buy it there, I suggest purchasing it at a little museum, rather that at a major museum with a major line.

I have a box full of Paris guides somewhere, but I have always referred to the DK Paris guidebook more than any other when I was actually in the city. It is a bit heavier due to the glossy pages, but very useful, especially if you are very visual. I have actually purchased multiple copies of this book, and I give them to friends who are going. I also like Rick Steve's books for general travel planning tips before the trip.

• Like 4

Regarding accommodations in Paris, you might want to try an apartment rental, through airbnb or one of the many other booking services. especially since you will be there almost a full week. It is surprisingly affordable compared to a hotel, and it is nice to have a little kitchen area. Stay as close to the city center/river as you can afford. 

Can you tell I am excited for your trip?  :hurray:

• Like 2

Regarding accommodations in Paris, you might want to try an apartment rental, through airbnb or one of the many other booking services. especially since you will be there almost a full week. It is surprisingly affordable compared to a hotel, and it is nice to have a little kitchen area. Stay as close to the city center/river as you can afford. 

Can you tell I am excited for your trip?  :hurray:

So am I! :D Thanks for being excited with me!

I have a bunch of points banked with Marriott. I think I can manage a really nice Marriott right in the city center in both Paris and Brussels!

• Like 2