Menu

How many of your children are home for Christmas?

RegGuheert

We now have all seven of our children here with us for Christmas this year! :hurray:

At the same time, I see that BOTH of my older sisters have NONE of their children at home this year.  That is a first for both families.  So I guess that may happen at a not-to-distant Christmas Future for us, as well.

How about your family?  How many children will you have at home with you on Christmas this year?  If you have none at home, will you be visiting one or more of them?

• Like 1

We have all six kids here this year, as in all previous years. But I know the day is coming when they will stay to branch away from "home".

Neither of my (divorced) parents have any children with them this Christmas. It's just the way it is.

1ds has worked christmas  eve the last two years.  last year, he got off at midnight! tonight, he gets off at 8:30. I expect him to come by afterwards. he will be here tomorrow.

2dd lives in texas. . . . we have plans to skype tomorrow.  she also plans to give us a skype tour of her house.

everyone else is here.

• Like 1

All the kids are here this year. Which was a great surprise as we didn't think the oldest was going to get enough time off to be here, but it turned out that he got two weeks leave between his old job and reporting to his new one (Air Force)

It's been pretty noisy here this week with everyone home.

• Like 1

All of them are technically home, but my oldest has been in and out.  She went to VA with her boyfriend yesterday to visit his grandparents.  Today she went with us to the grandparents for our family, but he had to work.  He's coming here tomorrow morning while we open gifts and then she's going with him to spend Christmas with his dad.  

• Like 1

All three home (though only one would possibly be away at this point). They were all playing a game together a few days ago and I was thinking how much I adore it when they are all here and interacting together!

• Like 2

All of them, plus our new son-in-law.  It might take them a few years to save up enough to visit the other parents in England.  In the meantime I will enjoy.

On the other hand it is my dad's (well, everyone's) first Christmas without my mom & my family traveled on  Thanksgiving to be with him & my sister was supposed to take Christmas (they live in the same town) but at the last minute my sister's family decided to go out of town to be just themselves so my dad is alone on Christmas.  It is too much travel for any of the other kids to take spur of the moment.  

Amber in SJ

Edited by Amber in SJ
  • Like 1

Two of four are here. Oldest dd is having a tough holiday- her dh is a music pastor at a church 1000+ miles away but she just really misses her family this time of year. And I miss the grands.  Our next oldest lives 900 miles away and coming home for Christmas just didn't work out.  But that's how it is with grown kids. There were lots of years we didn't make it home for the holidays and our folks understood. 

All of you with full houses...so happy for you guys!

• Like 1

Only our youngest is here tonight. DS is the person (home school tech geek) that you HOPE is in charge of the call center when your phone has trouble. He works Christmas, lol. DD has a nanny gig that pays too much to ignore. Both of the older two will be with us for a whole week soon and we'll have Christmas then.

• Like 1

Three still live at home.  18yo will work tonight, so it will be a little weird this year.

One thing I appreciate about my parents is they never expect us to spend holidays with them.  I imagine they would enjoy it but the cost would be too great (West coast to East coast).

My MIL on the other hand had all of her kids for years.  I think the other grandparents got tired of that.  The IL's were very nice and decided to take turns each year at a different child's home.  My kids liked having them here but at the same time it was not relaxed on Christmas morning.  The IL's stopped that tradition last year.  This is the second year they've invited us (our family and the great-grandkids) over for Christmas Eve.  I feel guilty for not inviting them over for Christmas Day but with 18yo sleeping during the day, we'll probably eat really late (7pm or after).

• Like 1

I have all of them here (or did until about an hour ago). Son said he wasn't coming home (he lives in California), but knocked on our door last night and surprised us. He is here for 4 days. Daughter and son-in-law came to spend the evening and gave us our first present -- an ornament to tell us we will be grandparents in June! My first grandchild!

• Like 5

All three will be with us but ds1 lives away. He came over tonight for the annual cookie decorating and junk food fest but then went home to his place and will return in the morning. We've had several years that dh has been away for Christmas but so far all the dc have been present.

• Like 1

All seven plus one significant other; I am over the moon. I'm never so happy as when all the ducklings have returned to the nest. While I hope for grandbabies one day, I am savoring this chapter while we aren't being pulled in multiple different directions. We just have time to enjoy being grownups together.

• Like 3

All of mine plus some other people's grown kids too.

I can't imagine a Christmas with NONE of them. I expect there will be plenty of times when we can't all manage it, but none of the 11 would be a day of sorrow. At the least, I would assume I'd be willing to go to one of them.

• Like 1