Menu

Watching Videos in Public

Χά�ων

If they're outdoors it's not as big a deal, but in a restaurant or whatever? I am not a fan of adults doing it.

Children are a bit different - if it's a waiting room or something and a bunch of kids are gathered around an iPad, no big deal. Splitters and headphones and keeping them on small kids is tough everywhere but on planes and trains, so I have more grace for kids. Adults really should be wearing headphones though.

yes, like someone mentioned upthread I am much more patient with kids but adults.... very rude.

I can't even stand it when people have loud (or even conversational ) discussions on their phones in public.  I do NOT want to hear about your lunch or your sick dog or your fight with your mother or  your weekend plans. ...and what is up with people using the speaker phone to have a conversation while they walk down the street...ack! So gross.

There's a lady I occasionally see at the grocery store whose daughter (maybe 7?) sits in the cart and watches whatever on the phone with max volume. It annoys me to no end. i see kids in the store like this all of the time, but usually with headphones, or less volume, and it's eyeroll-worthy, but that lady... Jeez...

Omg yes. It's one of my pet peeves. Dd was giving a presentation at a Girl Scout meeting in a fairly small room a couple weeks ago, and I actually had to ask one of the waiting moms to have her boys turn off the loud videos on their phones. She seriously saw no problem with them watching TV loudly while other people are trying to talk.

It is annoying, but I hate confrontation so I don't say anything. I just roll my eyes and sigh passive-aggressively.

Don't do that. Seriously, just don't. That just adds to the noise level and makes everybody around the two of you even MORE uncomfortable. If you aren't willing to confront them directly, talk to the management and have them do it.

Yes.  I have been seeing that a lot more lately.  It does remind me of the days of the boom box.  I thought we'd evolved.    Last night there were a few people doing it on a train.  So annoying in that closed environment.  

Recently I've seen it a lot in the cafeteria at the community college. (I hang out there sometimes while one of my kids has a class.)  There it seems it's always middle-aged people.  But most everyone else has earbuds in so I guess it's not a huge problem for most of the people around them. 

If you're at a thing where someone present is supposed to be watching or listening to someone else it is SO FREAKING RUDE I CAN'T EVEN BELIEVE IT. I am yelling.

Like museum tour or a workshop or something. Just pop earphones on that kid!!!

Just outside in general, no, who cares.

Yes, rude.  

For me, volume plays a factor when kids are involved.  I let my kids watch a movie on the train because I figure the iPad set to three squares of volume is overall quieter than my four kids poking and prodding each other for an hour or two.  As often as available, we sit in the family car of the train where some noise is expected, but these aren't always available.  

Restaurants?  Never acceptable.  

I guess you could say it depends on what area of public. An outside park where your a decent distance from others no big deal but in planes or subways or restaurants absolutely completely rude and inconsiderate.  I had a night flight where most people were sleeping and a young man in probably his 20's was watching a show loudly that I didn't even want my children to see. It was totally inappropriate.