Menu

Frivolous poll -- how do you slice bananas?

Stacia

Bananas?!  

103 members have voted

1. 1. How do you slice bananas?

• So that you have little circles (of course).
    • Longways so you have a couple of long, flat slices (obviously).
    • Who slices bananas??? (Duh.)
    • I hate bananas so this doesn't apply to me. (Harumph!)
    • I am a food sculptor so I make banana flowers, animals, & all kinds of fancy & exotic designs!
    • This poll is bananas!
    • Farrar style -- at an agle so you have ovals!

A different thread where someone mentioned there being only one proper way to fold towels got me thinking about bananas...

Growing up, we routinely ate banana or banana w/ peanut butter sandwiches. My mom always sliced bananas so that they made little circle shapes & put them in nice little overlapping rows to fill the slice of bread.

As an adult, my aunt once asked me if my mom still sliced bananas in her 'cute' circular way. Apparently my aunt always cut them longways. It never occurred to me until that point that there was any other way to slice a banana. I thought circles were it.

I must admit that I live on the wild side now & mix it up these days -- I will cut them in circles or longways, depending on my mood.

:lol:

What about you?

P.S. If you eat banana & mayo sandwiches, I'm not sure I can speak to you. <shudder>

Edited by Stacia
  • Like 5

Circles!  I worked at a Baskin-Robbins in high school, and we had to learn how to slice bananas without ever touching our fingers on the banana itself (except for the peel of course).  We'd hold it in the palm of our hand, peel off the top strip, slice it length wise, and then into half-moons.

I chose circles because that's the method I use most frequently. I cut them lengthwise for sandwiches sometimes, but I halve them first, then cut each half in several slices. I make fun fruit animals sometimes, banana circles have served as owl eyes, but I prefer kiwis for that purpose.

I chose circles because that's the method I use most frequently. I cut them lengthwise for sandwiches sometimes, but I halve them first, then cut each half in several slices. I make fun fruit animals sometimes, banana circles have served as owl eyes, but I prefer kiwis for that purpose.

Cool. I love fun food creations!

(Btw, there is the ability to vote for more than one way of banana slicing in the poll.)

• Like 1

I usually cut in circles but then slice those in half so they are semi-circles.  My mother put a fear into me of giving children food that was about that diameter.  I can still hear her: "A hot dog is about the diameter of a child's trachea. Anything that size needs to be cut smaller or they will choke". 

I also cut them on the bias (long oval thing Farrar likes) l if I am trying to hide the fact that I won't give them little circles.  I cut them long enough that they have to bite them.  I do the same with soy sausage etc as well. Cucumbers and carrots get the same treatment.

Sorry... my own issues here, lol.

So...

I have *never* heard of Mayo and banana sandwiches. I have questions.

1) how ripe is the banana? Green? Yellow? Brown specks?

2) how much Mayo are we talking about? A thin coating on the bread? A visible layer? Thick globs?

3) is the bread usually toasted?

4) always Mayo or is miracle whip an option?

I am so curious!

Circles. Unless they are part of a banana sundae. In which case, sideways!

We used to have banana sandwiches for a treat when I was a kid...buttered bread, banana circles and sugar (!!) sprinked on top. Yummy.

Strangely we had sugar sprinkled on most of our fruit as well, bananas, strawberries, cantaloupe..........   I didn't even know you could eat strawberries without sugar until I married DH, and he couldn't believe that people ate them with it.

• Like 1

A different thread where someone mentioned there being only one proper way to fold towels got me thinking about bananas...

Growing up, we routinely ate banana or banana w/ peanut butter sandwiches. My mom always sliced bananas so that they made little circle shapes & put them in nice little overlapping rows to fill the slice of bread.

As an adult, my aunt once asked me if my mom still sliced bananas in her 'cute' circular way. Apparently my aunt always cut them longways. It never occurred to me until that point that there was any other way to slice a banana. I thought circles were it.

I must admit that I live on the wild side now & mix it up these days -- I will cut them in circles or longways, depending on my mood.

:lol:

What about you?

P.S. If you eat banana & mayo sandwiches, I'm not sure I can speak to you. <shudder>

the only proper way to fold towels is so they fit in the cupboard (or wherever you store yours.) smh.  (i didn't see that thread.. . . )

I only slice bananas when having a banana split.  so - circles.

I peel the banana then using my finger split it into its natural long sections then break off the size pieces I want from there...long for sandwiches, medium for cooked and small for oatmeal.

YES. I learned this when the girls were babies and I have never looked back. (Because it's just so cool that bananas do that!)

• Like 2

So...

2) how much Mayo are we talking about? A thin coating on the bread? A visible layer? Thick globs?

I am so curious!

I grew up on banana and mayo sandwiches. I didn't taste bananas and peanut butter until I was an adult. I like my bananas firm and yellow. I hate mushy bananas and throw them out when they start developing brown spots. I put a thin layer of mayo on both sides of the bread. No, I don't toast the bread. It's a soft sandwich! And yes, miracle whip can be used if you prefer it to mayo.

My mom also made tomato and mayo sandwiches but I didn't eat those because I didn't like tomatoes until I was an adult. And I cannot imagine a tomato sandwich without any kind of deli meat!

• Like 1

The only way I have sliced bananas is with clean blunt scissors when we are cooking at work and I need a job for the kid I don't trust with a knife.

I usually model circles, but you get what you get. Often that is something resembling modern art. Mix with watermelon carved with a spoon and a sprinkle of blueberries for a delicious treat!

I grew up on banana and mayo sandwiches. I didn't taste bananas and peanut butter until I was an adult. I like my bananas firm and yellow. I hate mushy bananas and throw them out when they start developing brown spots. I put a thin layer of mayo on both sides of the bread. No, I don't toast the bread. It's a soft sandwich! And yes, miracle whip can be used if you prefer it to mayo.

I agreed with you right up until the Miracle Whip.  Miracle Whip is an abomination, IMO.  [JAWM :hat: ]

• Like 1

Well even if you can't talk to me I'm going to talk to you. :p

I voted for all 3 slicing ways because it depends on what it's being used for: circles for cereal, long ways *and* diagonals for those yummy banana & mayo sandwiches. Same for banana pancakes--unless I decide to just mash the banana. I guess I do both long and diagonal because bananas have that crescent shape that doesn't lend itself easily to being sliced all in planks so the remaining part gets sliced in diagonals. Probably more than you wanted to know about my banana-slicing habits. :D

• Like 1

So...

I am so curious!

I grew up eating these. Mayo only--never had miracle whip until my 20's and never again. Ripe banana, not green nor over-ripe. Mayo in a visible layer but thinnish, not slathered on. Not toasted, although toasting might be ok--I dunno, I've not tried. My mom would probably say toasting is good. She likes to eat ice cream sandwiches that way. Yup--slab of ice cream on toast. :tongue_smilie:

• Like 1

Strangely we had sugar sprinkled on most of our fruit as well, bananas, strawberries, cantaloupe.......... I didn't even know you could eat strawberries without sugar until I married DH, and he couldn't believe that people ate them with it.

The only fruit I've seen people regularly sprinkle sugar on is grapefruit-- which is just horrid. Don't they know that grapefruit is to be eaten with salt?!?

:D

Bananas must be sliced though.  For some reason they taste a lot better that way.

My children completely agree with you. They also believe that it must be sliced by someone else.

This reminds me--I've noticed that salads that someone else makes and that I have to pay for seem to taste better than any salads I've made at home. :D

• Like 1

Re: banana and mayo sandwiches...

As a kid (who hated mayo), I was unsuspecting when seved a "banana" (meaning banana with mayo) sandwich by my friend's mom. You can't really tell the mayo is on there because it matches the sandwich bread. I took a big bite and was unpleasantly surprised! However, I was a polite kid, so I ate it anyway & politely turned down offers for seconds or future offers of banana sandwiches at that house.

I do like mayo as an adult but I haven't tried a banana and mayo sandwich as an adult.

When I was a teen I worked summers in an ice cream shop so I have a particular way of slicing bananas into circles without touching the flesh or the counter. It involves slicing peels into 4th the long way, and using the last fourth as a cutting surface. It's a very fast way to do it without getting any banana on your hand. Slicing bananas is serious business.  :001_cool:

1) If you're right-handed, hold the banana your left hand with the stem up and pointing away from you.

2) With a paring knife in your right hand, place your right thumb behind the stem and the blade on the other side.

3) Cut through the stem and pull the peel all the way down on the side facing you.

4) Flip the banana over and do the same, cutting through the end and peeling the inside of the curve. You should now have a banana with the peel missing in the front and back, but still on the sides.

5) Lay the banana on one peeled side in your left hand. Remove the peel from the side facing up.

6) Slice the banana, using the remaining peel as a cutting surface between the banana and your hand. 

7) Add slices to dish, discard peel in hand.